@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Daeus replied to the topic What genre is this? in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Hmm, so maybe it is fantasy. Here’s the other thing then. I don’t want to confuse people into thinking that it is a “pure” fantasy (very other-worldish and such). If they expected that, they might be disappointed. So perhaps I should describe it as a fantasy story with a very real-world feel to it? Perhaps that might sound too much like the so and…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic What genre is this? in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Historical fantasy. 🙂
Perfectly great— perfectly fine, perfectly okay. Only fantasy fantasy has to be fantastical. 😛
As for the style question, reading through what you’ve posted so far I’m going to say it reminds me heavily of a lot of classical authors— specifically (guess who) Alexandre Dumas. There are a few minor differences, but it’s…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic What genre is this? in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Actually, one of my favorite authors wrote a fantasy trilogy like that. The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A Nielsen. Just what you described. Very real world-ish, just in a made up land.
-
Daeus started the topic What genre is this? in the forum 10 years, 10 months ago
Hay ya buddies, I’m having some serious trouble here. You see, I’ve created a monster! In other words, I’m writing a story and I don’t know what genre it is in. It is pretty important to know what genre it is in, because I plan to publish it. For those of you on my website, I’m talking about Treachery Against The House Of Fairwin.
Right now, I…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Another good example of humor
-
Daeus replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Ah, you’re right about understatement Rosey. There are so many good tricks to humor, it seems impossible to list them all, but the more we can think of, the better.
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Cool! Back just in time for my favorite sort of topic. 🙂
Seeing on the point of exaggeration here, I must humbly object.
Exaggeration can be great and funny, but I’d say the place for it is prose or commentary within the writing itself (dialog is a bit tricky, but it depends on the character). An excess of it can really kill the humor and is more…[Read more] -
Ivy Rose replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
@Hope In regards to spoilers, it isn’t likely that I’ll remember them by the time you send me the book. 😉 I tend to forget little things unless they are connected to pictures or a bunch of words.
You can’t kill Sean!!!!!!!! He is too awesome to die!!!! Surely you can kill someone else in his place…please?!?! 🙂
-
Haley Long changed their profile picture 10 years, 10 months ago
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
@ivy-rose oops, sorry. I had a fleeting thought that you’d probably see this thread and get some spoilers about the next book (though only a few since I don’t know all that happens yet myself). As for Sean…shall I tell you or make you wait in suspense? 😉 Except it won’t be for nearly a year, so I suppose I’ll tell if you wish…
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
A pepper bomb…and with everyone used to high tech weapons they’ve no defense against such an old-fashion burning hindrance. 😉
Enigma will be changing, kind of like what you suggested. Well, it has several layers and each one keeps getting worse as they figure it out. Except the government doesn’t know about all of it…But if her father died…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
A pepper bomb…and with everyone used to high tech weapons they’ve no defense against such a burning hindrance. 😉
Enigma will be changing, kind of like what you suggested. Well, it has several layers and each one keeps getting worse as they figure it out. Except the government doesn’t know about all of it…But if her father died in…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Exactly.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
It’s like cloudy with a chance of meatballs only without the clouds and meatballs and a lot more sinister.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
No, to do that to the poor guy. But yes, of course I was talking about my sporadic sense of humor. It is so much more unusual to say it with that intention. It helps with my fake character development.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
What?! That you make me laugh???
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
AAAAAACK! Help! Attack of the killer elbow noodles!
-
Daeus replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Macaroni that has a soft spot for evil scientists.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Middle Troubles in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
*Sobs of ocean depths* Kate! How could you suggest such a thing!
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Comedy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Building off of your idea, @Hope… an evil baron with an allergy to broccoli.
A brilliant leader obsessed with spaghetti.
An evil scientist who has a soft spot for frogs and macaroni.
A weak, timid protagonist who has an uncontrollable affinity for any and every reptile in existence.
Something along those lines? You’re right— that would be…[Read more] - Load More
