Middle Troubles

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Middle Troubles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

I’m having a hard time figuring out the middle of the second book of my trilogy. The first book has to do with Anna regaining her true memories and a rebellion starting against the oppressive government (this is set in America 200 years in the future). In the second book, Anna and others both take part in the rebellion (which spans the rest of summer, fall, and most of winter) and try to find out more about Enigma, the brain experiments which took her memory in the first book. The second ends with the main parts of the rebellion being over and the characters finding out something very important about Enigma.

Characters include:

A bad guy who’s obsessed with capturing Anna.
      A rebel leader.
      Anna’s brother.
      A young rebel who will die towards the beginning of the book.
      A character close to Anna who will die towards the climax of the book.
      An assassin who joins the rebels (if I can find a place for him)

Anyway, I’m wondering if any of you have any idea that could help me brainstorm ideas for the middle progress of the book. I know I’ve given you hardly anything in regards to plot and characters, but I’ve gotten really good ideas from here before so I decided to see if you had anything this time. 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

David B. Hunter
      @dbhgodreigns
        • Total Posts: 89

Maybe the bad guy who’s obsessed with capturing Anna succeeds and her brothers, as well as other brothers have to storm the prison, or castle, or whatever.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

I might be able to give you a couple ideas, but I need to ask you first, what is the theme of your story? Also, (without giving too much away) what is the climax of your story?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
          @hope

The theme of the story is trusting in God; that God is enough even if you lose everything. As for the climax…still working on it. Though I think it has to do with her father dying (it’s at this point, probably, that part of her internal conflict is resolved). Then the climax will probably be with Anna and a small group having to hold off the enemy forces long enough for the rebels to gather enough strength for a final blow. One thing I’m exploring in this trilogy is a Christian’s place in war/a rebellion.

Hope Ann
            @hope

Basically, in the middle of the book, Anna needs to discover more about Enigma, and she’s also involved in intelligence work with the Christians and to help the rebels. I just need to figure how she does these various things. And how/why her father should die.

David B. Hunter
              @dbhgodreigns
                • Total Posts: 89

Could she go undercover in the government and learn about the Enigma? Maybe her father could die trying to save Anna. Then she feels like its her fault, but has to overcome that and trust God.

Daeus
                @daeus

Here’s what I’m thinking. So there’s gonna be this part where they have to hold off the attacking forces until the resistance can completely formulate. So this already sounds like a difficult task. Let’s make it epic. Let’s say that at the same time, the gov. comes out with a new and top secret version of Enigma with far more powerful and diabolical abilities than the beta version. Now let’s say that they are also planing to use this new weapon against Anna and the other people in the small group of resisters who are trying to hold out until the rest of their buddies can unite. (… and maybe it will turn them against the other resisters. Oooooooohhh!)

“Aaahhhhhhhhh! That’s terrible!”

No, wait, it gets worse. Anna’s dad figures out about this diabolical scheme and tries to warn the resistance, but before he can, the gov finds out about him and “neutralizes” him. Through her dad’s death, Anna pieces together what is going on and with her new trust in God, determines in His power to stop Enigma. By a series of miracles, half miracles and fifty pounds of finely ground cayenne pepper, she and the other resister manage to foil Enigma and the bad guys, thereby saving America!

Yeah! Let’s all have some fireworks! Boom Boom Bang!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

You make me laugh so hard, Daeus. 😀

Well Hope, my idea is similar to Daeus’s, but I’ll post it anyway. What if the dad was taken (for whatever reason— trying to save Anna maybe as Daeus suggested) and they experimented with their (or Daeus’s) new Enigma thing on the dad.
                    Maybe there were problems they needed to clear up about their new and improved technology, and those problems ended up killing the dad and perfecting the tech.

It’s an idea… and the only one I can come up with at present. I’ll keep my thinking cap on. 🙂

Ivy Rose
                    @ivy-rose
                      • Total Posts: 102

Very nice, @Daeus. 🙂

No actually, that sounds pretty good, minus the second-to-last sentence. 😉 I like the idea of a curve ball being thrown at Anna in the form of changing/updating the Enigma. That would really make her need to think.

@Hope
                      ! You can’t kill Anna’s father! I will cry! Who is the other young rebel who dies? Not Sean, is it?

Daeus
                      @daeus

*Sobs of ocean depths* Kate! How could you suggest such a thing!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 3976

What?! That you make me laugh???

Daeus
                          @daeus

No, to do that to the poor guy. But yes, of course I was talking about my sporadic sense of humor. It is so much more unusual to say it with that intention. It helps with my fake character development.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                            @hope

A pepper bomb…and with everyone used to high tech weapons they’ve no defense against such an old-fashion burning hindrance. 😉

Enigma will be changing, kind of like what you suggested. Well, it has several layers and each one keeps getting worse as they figure it out. Except the government doesn’t know about all of it…But if her father died in connection to it; that could work. He’s rescuing or warning Anna…she’s on some sort of mission and he comes after her; saves her but dies; tells her there is more to Enigma than any of them have guessed (then dies before giving any helpful information…except that’s too clique). Hmm; I’ll have to keep working it out. Thanks for your ideas so far (and don’t hesitate to give me more if you come up with them). Even if I don’t end up using them, they prompt other ideas and help get my wheels turning.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Hope Ann.

Hope Ann
                              @hope

@ivy-rose oops, sorry. I had a fleeting thought that you’d probably see this thread and get some spoilers about the next book (though only a few since I don’t know all that happens yet myself). As for Sean…shall I tell you or make you wait in suspense? 😉 Except it won’t be for nearly a year, so I suppose I’ll tell if you wish…

Ivy Rose
                                @ivy-rose
                                  • Total Posts: 102

@Hope In regards to spoilers, it isn’t likely that I’ll remember them by the time you send me the book. 😉 I tend to forget little things unless they are connected to pictures or a bunch of words.

You can’t kill Sean!!!!!!!! He is too awesome to die!!!! Surely you can kill someone else in his place…please?!?! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >