Comedy

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Another good example of humor

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWZch2vXIAAqL9A.jpg:large

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Haaaaa… that’s hilarious, Daeus. I saw another one of Ted Cruz as Captain America. 😛

And you have a good point there, @writefury— it made me think of something. There are technically two different categories of humor— I just realized that. One is intellectual humor, the other… what do you call it? Slapstick?
        Intellectual humor I would consider wit— I have no difficulty doing that even in my serious novels. But rarely is intellectual humor such as you suggested laugh-out-loud hilarious. It’s more of a dry, make you chuckle wryly sort of thing.

Wow. I didn’t know one could analyze comedy. That’s so cool. 😛

Anyway— excellent point about the understatement. I agree. But I also agree that exaggeration can be just as powerful a tool, if used carefully of course.
        Understatement in too large doses can also become tiring.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

Ted Skywalker: We need to end galactic oppression.
          Donald Longhair: No, we need to build a forcefield!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            Rosey Mucklestone
            @writefury
              • Total Posts: 467

Comedy is actually a very fun thing to analyze. 🙂
              Another thing, you’d probably get this because you’re in a big family like me, is interactions you actually observe. In a big family, I’ve been able to really realize the full humor of all people’s personalities just by themselves. Characters simply bouncing off each other can be unbelievably hilarious when used right. 😉

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

Oh oh oh I just discovered a new kind of comedy! I mean I didn’t discover it… but I noticed it for the first time. 😛
                I’m not exactly sure what to call it, so I’ll give the example that finally got my attention.
                Okay, so this man and his wife are driving down the road and they almost hit a skunk. The wife goes, “Oh no, that was close! What would you have done if you actually hit that skunk with the car?”
                The man goes, “The only decent thing— I’d have gotten out and buried it in the ditch. I might even have buried the skunk with it.”

So I’m not exactly sure how to classify it— but it’s definitely comical. 😀

Rosey Mucklestone
                @writefury
                  • Total Posts: 467

That is actually using logical fallacies to your advantage. What you did was switch the supposed meaning of the word “it”. Plenty of potential in writing that kind of humor. Like blatant red herrings or bandwagon… cheap appeal to false authority… stuff like that. 😉
                  Red herring example:
                  “Did you just hit that man over the head with a baseball bat?”
                  “Umm… so, speaking of baseball, what’d you think of the game last night?”

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Right! Okay— I see it now. Yes. Tons of potential there. Wow… I’m mocking logic. I can’t believe it. That’s just… so… so…. I can’t believe it. 😛

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >