@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Ivy Rose started the topic Input on my logo please in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
I just received the logo mock-ups from my designer. *Squee!!* But I need your help! I don’t know which is best or what exactly I need to tell the designer to change.
If you could answer these questions, I would greatly appreciate it! (And any other advice you might have!)
1. Which is your favorite? (Look closely…there are subtle differences.)…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy I like the idea of a pessimistic jester. I was also thinking that I could have a little resentment between the two lords in the resistance. There should be at least one guy among them who, while not being super brilliant, is very solid and peaceable – probably the blacksmith.
As for the Lollards, I get your point about how they…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
@Daeus… ooh, different character types. I love this discussion. I’m in my element. You mentioned a jester, and set my mind on *splutter, choke, gasp* excuse me, I mean got my thinker chugging.
What if the jester was a gloomy pessimist?
And the minstrel— what if he were a cheery, happy-go-lucky, glass-is-always-half-full type? And he and the…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
As far as characters, the next step for me is getting down the main characters in the resistance. I’m thinking I’ll have people from all sorts of backgrounds in the resistance leadership. Of course there would be my MC, and then there would be one or two noblemen, and of course a blacksmith, then a couple knights, and probably a…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Kindle Publishing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@hope It’s possible I’m remembering wrong, but I’m pretty sure that $0.99 is the lowest price you can assign to a promo-code. If you wan’t to share a free book, research how to do it with dropbox.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Kindle Publishing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@dbhgodreigns I have one quick question. I know, on kindle, there is a place for codes which people can put in to get a book on sale. Can one set up a code so that anyone with said code can get the book for free? Or is the lowest price for that $0.99 as well?
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
I agree with @Kate-Flournoy about the bad guy pretending he has all kinds of power to take over. Have you ever read A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurther’s Court by Mark Twain? You really should if you haven’t…it might give you some ideas (and besides, I love the story). In there, the MC is knocked from the 1800s (I think) into Aurtherian times.…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic An Author's Advice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
How to strike a balance between nobility and humanity— that’s the only thing I really struggle with.
And yes, for my favorite author:Wow! I didn’t know you were still alive. What lotion did you use to extend your years?
-
Ivy Rose replied to the topic An Author's Advice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Nice question! Believe it or not, I actually got to ask this of one of my favorite authors (the one who was actually born in the last century… 🙂 )
I asked what he would have done differently when he went to publish his first book. He told me that he wouldn’t have submitted his book to a publishing house. He said he wished he knew about self…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
I don’t make a habit of talking to people through cabinet doors, @Daeus. 😛
What other character positions do you need filled in? Are there any positions you specifically want to fill right now? ‘Cause I work better if I know what I’m working with. 😉
-
Daeus replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
@writefury I like that thing about the Chekhov’s gun being a hinderance. I’ll have to think on that one more.
And I simultaneously came to the same conclusion about the mad scientist – except I went a little farther. I think I’m going to have this guy proclaim himself a god. Yes, this guy is just absolutely wicked. It’s a good thing he looses in…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic An Author's Advice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Can we meet at a writer’s conference or something so I can ask more questions?
Eh… that’s a bit of a gamble. 😛
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Totally agree with @kate-flournoy‘s ideas. The Chekhov’s Gun is usually better used if it starts out being a hinderance or a symbol of something bad.
Yeah, I’d say the mad scientist should use his technology as manipulation and make people think he’s more powerful than he is. A magician of sorts. But he could also have a sort of limitation he’s…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic An Author's Advice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Wow! I didn’t know you were still alive. What lotion did you use to extend your years?
-
Rolena Hatfield started the topic An Author's Advice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
As you’re sitting on your couch one Tuesday afternoon, sipping your all time favorite beverage, your phone rings. You lift the cellular device to your ear and answer with a sleepy hello. A chipper voice replies informing you that you’ve been picked at random as the winner of the “Ask Your Author” contest. She gives you the email address to your…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Thanks. You sparked some great ideas, especially with regards to the king. And, hehe…
You could also choose to have as a leader of the rebels someone who embodies everything the MC is not. Someone whose honor and integrity stick very clearly off from the MC’s immaturity. Aaaaand if you want this to have a love story in the p…
-
Daeus replied to the topic Little Problem Here in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Sweet. I like setting people’s minds on fire, it’s just with the price of napalm recently, I haven’t had much success.
Ok, that was really bad.
Definitely send me the finished version.
And that math stuff – math is ten times easier when the units are the type you like to see. *Shouts out to mathematicians* “Did you hear that???!!!”
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Little Problem Here in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Wow. How. Do. You. Keep. All. Those. Numbers. Straight.
But this is going in my ideas file for sure. I honestly didn’t think about it as a product… but you’re right, I could use it that way.
And just the word ‘painting’ in connection with this poem has set my mind on fire. ‘A painting’ may not suffice— I’ve got ten ideas already. 😛And…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
I would go for the king, terrify him to death with my ‘magical powers’ and start from there. Hey, I would make a pretty good mad scientist. 😉
Another thing I’m thinking about the MC (he sounds absolutely stunning, by the way) is that maybe some of the way he destroyed the dictator has to do with something he stole out of the time machine. (Being…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Dystopian Time Travel Story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
OK, this is good. So @writefury, I came up with an idea for a great Chekhov’s gun that I could use for the overthrow of the dictator. But of course, it wouldn’t actually be enough, because that is just lame. I wan’t things to be desperate from start to finish. I will use this Chekhov’s gun to turn things from impossible to only insane.
Now, the…[Read more]
- Load More
