@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Greta replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus, Yes! I completely agree. There has to be a happy medium between forcing the Biblical principals and you-can-do-whatever-you-want-because-God-will-love-you-anyway. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus, Yes! I completely agree.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy Sorry to disagree, but the villains desire to control the 9 powers seems the most natural thing in the world. If I personally were offered control of the whole world, I hope and would guess I might deny it, but don’t think for a moment it wouldn’t tempt me. Of course he wants power and prestige. Everybody does to one degree or…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Exactly @Daeus. Exactly.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yeah, we just need to be careful that we don’t go to far in the other direction though. What we don’t want to do is accidentally give the idea that if the reader can just make their heart a little better, they will have found God’s purpose for them (or anything along those lines). That is a false hope; it is a hope in one’s self, not in God.…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy, great suggestion! I’m definitely going to work with the plot…what I wrote is by no means set in stone. 😉 I’m definitely going to work out why the villain wants the 9 Powers; it actually drives me crazy in stories when the villain has no particular purpose for destroying things and terrorizing people…he just does because he’s…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Exactly! @Daeus 🙂 We can’t avoid the rules in the Bible (kind of like assuming there is a God in novels, it should also be a given that the morals of the Bible are true), but we don’t have to outline them in our stories.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
I might— just a quick suggestion. Work with your villain a little. Why does he want to control the nine powers? Is it just because POWER and PRESTIGE? Is it just because he’s SOOOOOO EEEEEVIL?
You can make him more complicated and interesting than that, I know. 😉
-
Greta replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@writefury, thanks for the ideas! I’ll have to think about the contradictions idea. 🙂
The story, so far, is about a girl (the MC) who lives in a small town in another land. It’s fantasy, so I’m probably going to set the story in another world (which I haven’t figured out the name of yet 🙂 ). An evil king rules the country in which she…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Removing the ads in the forum Questions and Support 10 years, 8 months ago
Ads? What ads? I thought those got taken down a long time ago. Am I the only one not seeing these?
By the way @spradlin, has KP ever thought about signing up for affiliate programs to advertise writerly resources (books, courses, etc)? That might be another income stream.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy Yeah, that makes sense. Of course the bible does lay down a clear right vs. wrong, but I don’t think our job as fiction writers is so much to explain the bible (though absolutely avoiding that could cause serious problems) but more to make people excited about the bible and to want to follow it themselves.
If we are writing solely…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yes, it does makes sense @kate-flournoy 😉 And I completely agree. Nobody wants to be given a bunch of rules to follow *coughmecough* 😛 I think that portraying God’s love (rather than all the “rules”), even in stories, will inspire people to seek God. A lot of people, I believe, think of Christianity as a bunch of rules. But it’s SO much…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Isn’t that a little long for a title, @spradlin? 😉
Another thing I noticed about well done Christian fiction, while listening to Focus on the Family’s audio ‘Bonhoffer: The Cost of Freedom’, was… well, it’s a little difficult to put into words.
The conclusions Bonhoffer came to about the Bible, and Christianity, and the duty of a Christian…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic KP Needs Your Ideas! in the forum Questions and Support 10 years, 8 months ago
Yikes, I love it how it is. I honestly don’t think anything could make it cooler or easier to use or— or anything better, really… but I’ll let you know if I come up with any ideas. 🙂
All you guys on the staff continually amaze me with your ability to keep this place up and running like this, and still live your lives! 😛
-
Sarah Spradlin started the topic KP Needs Your Ideas! in the forum 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey folks!
We’re going to try to revamp the website here in the next few months and we need your help! What are your ideas to make Kingdom Pen better, easier to use, cooler– whatever? No idea is too big or two small!
-
Sarah Spradlin replied to the topic Removing the ads in the forum Questions and Support 10 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Sarah!
Thanks so much for posting!
Right now, the ads are one of the only ways that we can have an income. It takes a lot of money and time to keep KP going. We hope to eventually not need to use advertisements as much, but that means that other products are going to have to increase. (Like the store!)
Are there any ads in particular that…[Read more]
-
Sarah Spradlin replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
This is an excellent topic! Y’all should totally collaborate and submit an article for the website! 😀 “What We Awesome Forum People Say on the Subject of Christian Fiction” — it would literally be the coolest thing. 🙂
-
Daeus replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@sarah-h It is called Rora. It is by James Byron Huggins.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hello in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 8 months ago
Perfect, @Bluejay. Perfect. 🙂
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Hello in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 8 months ago
Wow! I have rels in Canberra. Yeah. It is so cold here. It was drizzling as we played a game of cricket and was overcast and not very summery. 🙁
Yes! Daydreams are great for short stories. @kate-flournoy has been telling me that everything has a story in it. You just have to think creatively. And it’s working for me. Last night I had a headache…[Read more] - Load More
