Hello

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anna Brie
    @anna-brie
      • Total Posts: 312

Hi,
      I’m Anna, also know as Bria in some places. I’ve bee lurking around the forum for several months, but I didn’t actually create an account until recently.

I’m 19, but I only really started thinking about writing anything about a year ago. Now I have a first draft almost finished.

I also might be the first Australian on here. And Hope knows me. Hello @Hope.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

A thousand welcomes, Anna! Congratulations— you have joined the ranks of the most impressive army of nut-cases on the internet. 😉
        What kind of stuff do you write? What did you most like about your first novel? What did you most dislike?

Again, welcome. This is the bestistist place on the internet. (There @Daeus— I beat you to it). 😉

Anna Brie
        @anna-brie

I’m writing non-magical fantasy twisted with fairytales. Writing the way I think they ought to go if the world was actually working properly.

The thing I like most in my story, is the redemption story in the second half of it. It wasn’t even part of the original plan. But then most things weren’t. Also I like a couple of really fun characters.
          The worst things are the quality of the writing, and the fact that my main character is kind of stupid.

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

Oh no, not stupid! Nothing is ever stupid so long as you are willing to take the time to fix it. 😛
            So you think you’re hooked on writing then? I know I was by the time I finished my first ‘real-novel’— once the writing bug bit me I was bit for good. 😉

Ivy Rose
            @ivy-rose
              • Total Posts: 102

Welcome Anna! So happy to have you here! The first drafts of first novels are pretty much destined to be terrible (Mine sure was!!!) but that’s what editing is for! 🙂

@Kate-flournoy
              Congratulations— you have joined the ranks of the most impressive army of nut-cases on the internet…you make me laugh. I guess it’s true though, huh? 😉

Tatiana
              @belegteleri
                • Total Posts: 97

Interesting… on the forum posts it says it’s around 8 pm, but it’s 5 o’clock here in California… Wow, have I been paying attention.

Anyways, hello Anna! Welcome to Kingdom Pen! I have heard rumors that we writers here are crazier than the people on Tumblr. But that can’t be true… Can it? Well, just letting you know, once you join, there’s no going back. It’s great to have you here! *slinks back into the wallpaper to view everyone else’s conversations with each other unnoticed*

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

Wellcome aboard! This is colonel Lamb of the army of highly impressive nuts speaking.

Hey, don’t worry about how experienced you are. 90% of writing is stubbornness. I probably don’t have more that a month or two more experience than you myself, so I too am a complete newbie, but I’m stubborn about writing something publishable, so you know, some time or other, I’m gonna get there.

@kate-flournoy
                  Alright, I’m beat, but I like it bestistest when I say it, so that is what this sentence is for.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anna Brie
                  @anna-brie

I don’t think I’m crazy. But I do think I’ll keep writing. And @kate-flournoy I didn’t mean that she’s a stupid idea for a character, but that she isn’t particularly smart. She’s 17 and sometimes acts more like a 12-year-old.

And I know that it’s normal for the first draft to be dreadful.

Also I just looked and realized that I have a writing related document that was last modified February 2014. And an email I sent mentioning writing to a friend. So I’ve been doing this for two years actually, but only really considering it seriously for one year.

Anna Brie
                    @anna-brie

This is what I said to my friend. “It’s a fairytale princess kind of story, though it is not going to have any fairy’s or magic or Gravity defying towers. I want every thing to be true to life, especially standards of right and wrong”
                      That’s actually still mostly true, despite the fact I’m not quite working on the same thing. There’s going to be a few fantastical elements though.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Anna Brie.
                      Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

Oh that kind of stupid! Nothing wrong with that kind of stupid. 😛 Yeah, I’ve had a few characters that act like that… 😉 But then it’s so fun to bring them to maturity in the end.
                        And technically you don’t have to be crazy to be a writer— but most writers devolve into craziness by the time they finish two or three novels. *wink*

Good! Keep it up. Write the stories you want to read, and you’ll never get tired of it. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

And yes, I know what you mean about the fairytales stuff… some of it can be pretty unrealistic. I love the challenge of balancing out the ‘magic’ and ‘fantasy’ with reality though, and using them to show more strongly what is right and what is wrong. See, (as I see it) no matter how many magical powers your characters have, they’re still held accountable to the same standards of right and wrong. They still love the same way, they still hate the same way, they still have the same struggles. Stick with the reality of those things, and your plot can be as fantastic as you want without becoming unrealistic. 🙂
                          Sometimes you need a fresh, unusual perspective to see something in a new light, and actually understand it again, you know what I mean?

Sarah Hoven
                          @sarah-h
                            • Total Posts: 669

Welcome to the forum, Anna! It’s so cool that you are from Australia! I’m a new writer, too, and I’ve learned a lot here. 🙂

Anna Brie
                            @anna-brie

@kate-flournoy I know what you mean. Sometimes a story can tell me something I’d heard before in a way that makes it new and challenging.
                              I doubt that actual magic will find it’s way into my books. I don’t mind some kinds of magic, but I haven’t got any good ideas for it and my plot actually doesn’t need it. But why not have tiny dragons that shoort sparks at you and prevent you from travelling during the dark of the moon. That sounds really weird I know, but I haven’t come up with a better way to put it.

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

No, it doesn’t sound weird! It sounds perfectly adorable and very interesting at the same time. 🙂

Anna Brie
                                @anna-brie

The idea keeps making me think of creepy creatures that only come out during the full moon.

Another odd fact. I first started my writing in second person. It was going to be choose-your-own-adventure style. It’s not actually too dreadful. I could swap it into first person easily and it would be better than all the other first attempts I made back then. They’re in third person.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Anna Brie.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >