@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Tales Untold in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
Awesome topic! I especially love your stone story idea @kate-flournoy. 😉
Lemme see… there’s one that I never finished about a Irish girl taken captive by Vikings and makes her way back after escaping with one little dog, one big dog, and one massive eagle. I basically wrote the whole thing while listening to the soundtrack of How To Train Your…[Read more] -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Hello everyone! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 5 months ago
Welcome to Kingdom Pen, @christi-eaton! 😀 Love the profile pic. 😉
-
BlueJay and
Jackson Graham are now friends 10 years, 5 months ago -
Ingrid replied to the topic Tales Untold in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@rolena-hatfield
I know, right? Dreams are just odd…I’ve played hide and seek with polar bears and been slashed through the arm. (Okay, maybe mine are even stranger than everyone’s. *shakes head mournfully* *walks away weeping*) Anyway, stories. Well, I had to write a take-off on The Princess and the Pea, and it got very interesting. It was…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Things I'm learning in my self-edit in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@christi-eaton That so true. I think that’s something most writer’s struggle with. Actually though, that’s not my main problem. My problem is just in the flow of the prose. It get’s stuck up with too many words. For instance, “While I acknowledge the situation we are in is dire, I remain unconvinced that the proper course of action is to eat…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Things I'm learning in my self-edit in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@kate-flournoy That’s a good point. Did you ever find any times where you surprised yourself with the discovery that you had been spoon feeding the reader? I mean, was there any really subtle example. I’m wondering because its those really sneaky mistakes that get you, and if you can fix them you’ll notice a big improvement. That’s why I’m always…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Things I'm learning in my self-edit in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@Daeus, YES, THIS IS SO HELPFUL. Thanks for sharing, Daeus! I struggle with “telling,” too, and it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Things I'm learning in my self-edit in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
*shrugs into huge furry usurper’s cape, swirls it dramatically, scowls at topic and adjusts massive golden crown* Topic— I have come to usurp you.
I guess the most important thing I’ve learned editing my WIP is a little difficult to put into words. The key symptom is over-describing things, but that’s not really the problem. Or rather it is,…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Tales Untold in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
Your game sounds like a story I tried to write. It was an attempt to do a fairy tale spin off by putting Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel all in the same book as sisters. Their parents left on a journey and their evil uncle tried to take over the throne.
@rolena-hatfield, Ooo, that’s a great story idea! 🙂 That would…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Tales Untold in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@Rolena-hatfield that is lovely! Oh boy, I may take you up on that one… *rubs hands delightedly* Oh, that would be so fun… 😀
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
I’m going to be writing for the next little bit if anyone would like to join.
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic Tales Untold in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@ingridrd Oh please keep talking! Thanks for jumping in and sharing! That is a scary dream though. Aren’t dreams weird. Especially the vivid ones. Oh my, I just remembered a dream I had that I thought would make a fantastic story! A young woman had just married a man and they had moved out west, but he was unjustly accused of some horrendous crime…[Read more]
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic Hello everyone! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 5 months ago
Squirrels. I love squirrels. Especially black ones! I had to look up the Fennec Fox and you’re right they’re totally adorable! We do have a lot of pets. Cats. A parrot. A dragon. A gecko. A dove. Ducks. Chickens.
Hey if you have any more art projects that you’ve drawn, you should post them under the Art topic in the forum. I’d love to see more of…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Things I'm learning in my self-edit in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@kate-flournoy This topic is officially usurpable.
Signed and sealed, this the year of our lord 2016. (Big fat red seal goes here)
-
Ingrid replied to the topic Things I'm learning in my self-edit in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@Daeus
This was totally, positively, VERY helpful! I should be finishing my WIP pretty soon (I’m hoping this summer), and it’s good to know about things to watch out for while editing…thanks for the tips!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Things I'm learning in my self-edit in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
AWESOME TOPIC @DAEUS. I agree one hundred percent with everything you said. Do you mind of I ‘usurp’ 😉 your topic and share some things I’ve learned through editing as well?
-
Ingrid replied to the topic Tales Untold in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@rolena-hatfield
Oddly enough, a lot of my story ideas come from dreams that I have regularly…this being the case, I can not possibly write every single story this strange mind of mine creates. :p I had a dream once about a boy at an orphanage. From what I remember, the building exploded; the boy, another boy, and a girl were the only…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Tales Untold in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@rolena-hatfield Thank you. I’ll see if anything comes of it. 🙂
I once had a story idea about a boy whose father leaves to head to the other side of the mountain to become king. He leaves his wife and son behind. The boy goes after him. Along the way he makes friends with a wolf (who is the main character, he’s the narrator) and ends up saving…[Read more]
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Hello everyone! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 5 months ago
@christi-eaton If you like giraffes jump to this topic Anna’s Savanna by BlueJay (Under short stories) and have a read of my story for me and let me know what you think.
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic Tales Untold in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
@kate-flournoy
That would be an awful dream!!! How sad and horrible! I have to admit though I laughed only because I managed to read the story wrong and so thought that you had put your “mouth” over the “hand” of the gun instead of vice versa. It made for a humorous picture see, with your mouth over the gun and then you saying “I saved the…[Read more] - Load More
