@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Greta replied to the topic Play-writing vs. General Writing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@Jess
I’ve never written a script before, but I act. My advice is to create natural dialogue because that’s all you can write. Script writing in some ways is harder than writing a story because you can’t use any descriptions besides stage directions, though, on the other hand, writing dialogue is the easiest thing to write, at least for…[Read more] -
Julia R. started the topic To all and sundry in the forum Start HERE 10 years ago
I am @his-instrument‘s (a.k.a Hannah R.’s) younger sister. She’s been begging me to get on here for a long time. I enjoy drawing/painting, I am a huge Disney fan, and I love to travel. I have ideas for books, but usually forget them or never get around to writing them down. Avoiding clichés is hard! I hope to gain some wisdom and friendship from…[Read more]
-
Julia R. changed their profile picture 10 years ago
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Men verses Woman in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@his-instrument I can’t generalize everyone and say for sure, but I know with my father and brothers, they are much more likely to try to figure out something like directions themselves, while us girls will stop and call home for directions, or would go ask someone much sooner than they would. I wouldn’t go so far as to say they hate asking for…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
Villain names tend to have v, x, r, or M…but not always. And I love s, t, e, and a names for a hero. Though, again, not always. It just…a sound to a name. It sounds strong and determined, like Ethaniel. ;D or Torin. Or it might sound playful, like Jathan.
And I do that too with so many of the names, @gretald, @kate-flournoy! There are…[Read more]
-
Julia R. replied to the topic The Next Book Choosing in the forum Book Discussions 10 years ago
@bluejay, I vote for:
1. Witch of Blackbird Pond
2. Ella Enchanted
3. Little Women -
Julia R. replied to the topic Writing Dares! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
I would love a dare! Anyone have one?
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Play-writing vs. General Writing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
I’ve written some scripts for my siblings and I. With dialogue, try to picture someone saying it. Preferably the people who are going to be acting the part. Some lines sound cool in writing, but when it came time for them to be spoken, it just wouldn’t work. And it depends on the quality of the actors. There were some things I knew my siblings…[Read more]
-
Julia R. posted an update 10 years ago
To all and sundry:
I am @his-instrument (a.k.a. Hannah R.’s) younger sister. She has been begging me for months to get on Kingdom Pen, so, here I am. I hope to find some writing help on here. I have many ideas for books, but somehow they never end up happening, or, I am afraid they might be too cliché. Hopefully you can give me some insight!-
It’s so nice to meet you, @julia-r! (I like your profile picture.) I think you will learn a LOT from the writers here. (I know I have.) 🙂 Welcome!
-
-
Julia R.'s profile was updated 10 years ago
-
Julia R. changed their profile picture 10 years ago
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@Daeus thank you. I feel much safer. 😀
@Anna-Brie Trevelian… is a mess. 😛 You wouldn’t think it to look at his cold, hard exterior, but inside he’s broken to pieces. Which is going to be enormous fun to write. *rubs hands, cackles gleefully*
And I won’t name a character Galbatorix— it’s the name of the villain in Christopher Paolini’s Inheri…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@Daeus
Really? No killing allowed? I thought this topic would be fun. Just kidding. 😉 😛@anna-brie
I agree about some names sounding ridiculous, especially if the story is set in another world. If the story is in another world, the names should be unique, but not…too unique. Like Farentobiolis (I just made that up; it’s pronounced…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
It’s great fun how sometimes a name and a character just completely click. Sometimes, before I even name the character, I know what letter his name has to start with because it’s ‘his’ letter, so I brainstorm names that begin with that letter.
@kate-flournoy I do the SAME thing! For some reason, I usually have a character “letter” in mind.…[Read more]
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@Kate-Flournoy, Ethaniel is great.
‘Trevelian’ odes sound a bit cold. I’m guessing he’s more of a realist than an optimist and takes things rather seriously. Which means he ought to have a joker for a side kick. But enough of that. And place don’t name a character ‘Galbatorix’ It’d dreadful to pronounce.
@Dragon-snapper I agree with you on the…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Where do you live? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@anna-brie
Wow, cool! It’s always fascinating to hear about holidays in other countries. 🙂 -
Anna Brie replied to the topic Where do you live? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@Sarah-H, people have been trying hard for a while to bring Holloween in over here. I don’t think it’s much of a thing yet, but I certainly don’t like shopping so much in the couple of weeks before.
We don’t have any really big holidays apart from Christmas and Easter, but there are a couple. Australia Day id the anniversary of the First Fleet…[Read more] -
Ingrid replied to the topic Comics in the forum Art 10 years ago
Hi, @Alia! I like comics, but have never written one. That’s cool that you do, though! I’m not sure I could do caricatures either, @kate-flournoy! I don’t know if I’ve actually ever attempted it. Something to try. 😉
-
Ingrid replied to the topic Comics in the forum Art 10 years ago
Hi, @Alia! I have never written a comic strip in my life. That’s cool that you do, though! I’m not sure I could do caricatures either, @kate-flournoy! I don’t know if I’ve actually ever attempted it. Something to try. 😉
-
Daeus replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
Small moderator note. No killing allowed. Thanks for your compliance.
- Load More
