@aella
Active 8 years, 8 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 160
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
We have Seasons of Gray and I really, really liked it. Speaking of which, we haven’t seen that movie for a long time…
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
@Daeus ‘Nothing serious’ indeed. 🙂 And I like how he just sits outside the tavern, waiting and tracking the time with his watch. And I looked up the Risen preview…it does look good. I’ve always loved the different retelling of ‘the centurion’.
@hannah-c No, I haven’t seen Grace Unplugged. Is it good?
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
I saw it in theaters and then saw it again yesterday on DVD. I really liked it, though there was a slight plot hole where the bad guys replace the papers in William’s coat…it never explains how they found where he lived or how they knew the papers were there. And (picky me) he dives into the water at the beginning with his two sets of papers and…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann started the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
So…if you all don’t mind, I thought it would be fun to have one thread where we could just talk about random things that are too small for a thread of their own; movies, things going on, anything and everything (within reason, of course). Also, it’s an easy place to procrastinate when you should be writing or studying for mid-terms. 😀
So, to…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann started the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
So…if you all don’t mind, I thought it would be fun to have one thread where we could just talk about random things that are too small for a thread of their own; movies, things going on, anything and everything (within reason, of course). Also an easy place to procrastinate when you should be writing or studying for mid-terms. 😀
So, to start…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Themescape in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Of course not! Easy questions are not discussion starters! 😀
The villain, if there is a villain (and there are times you can go without them), must not merely oppose the MC in a physical sense. He must (at least usually) oppose him on a mental/spiritual level as well.
Okay… good. I like that. Let’s take that. Let’s go deeper with that one.…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann and
Kate Flournoy are now friends 11 years ago -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Themescape in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
So what do you think is essential to a good strong theme? How should each role (MC, villain, antagonist, protagonist) serve the theme and make it better? Is it better to do obvious themes, or vague themes with a moment at the end when suddenly everything makes sense?
Oh, and by the way, I don’t think there ought to be a limit as to how many…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Social Media in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
I’m on pinterest too…I love it for writing ideas and storyboards (and some lotr and humor). My Pinterest name is Authoress of Light. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Themescape in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Oh yes. I love Ben-Hur too. It’s just all around such a great story, though I might make the complaint that Esther is too perfect— look who’s talking. 😛
Yes, I understand what you mean about taking that approach with fantasy and accidentally presenting a moralist gospel, but for some reason I don’t think that would happen, at least with my…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Themescape in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Good points, Daeus.
I will add a few little differences of opinion we seem to have here… when I asked if the theme should be attached to the MC’s character arch or the plot, you said it didn’t really matter. Here’s why I disagree. Oftentimes, if the theme is whatever the MC went through (learning to lead, learning how harmful pride can be,…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Blogs, WordPress, and my specific problem in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
It would depend. I might not sign up simply because I don’t read many stories on blogs even when they are really interesting because I’m busy. Though if I happened to have hours of free time (sleeping doesn’t count) and did happen to read stories on line and like them, then yes, I might create an account. If I could read everything and could sign…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann started the topic Social Media in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Just a random question…is anyone here on any ‘social media’? Mainly, I’m curious if anyone is on Pinterest or Instagram. 🙂
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Blogs, WordPress, and my specific problem in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
I use blogger and am quite pleased with it (well, after I figured out everything anyway). With both blogger and (I think) wordpress, you can have a gadget to the side where people to sign up to your blog by e-mail…so every time you post they get an e-mail with that post and can either read it there or go to your blog and read it. Now, of course,…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Musicians/Music Artists? in the forum Music 11 years ago
Yes! Thank you.
Wow! A composer who doesn’t understand music theory! That makes me feel a whole lot better about where I am right now…
Thank you for those tips. I really appreciate that. And… thanks for keeping them simple. Some ‘quick tips’ you almost need a dictionary to understand. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic Themescape in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Hey guys. I’m back with another crazy topic.
Themescape. My spellcheck tells me that’s not a word, but who cares? Not me.
Anyway.
I’m looking for general thoughts on themes. How many themes should there be in one novel? (I have my own opinion on that one, but I’ll keep it under my hat until it’s disputed haha).
How should the theme serve the story…[Read more] -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Blogs, WordPress, and my specific problem in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
You could make the stuff password protected and only send out the password to subscribers on WordPress. I can do that, and I only have a free account. As far as other sites go, I believe Blogger is free.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Maps in the forum Fantasy 11 years ago
Thanks guys! Whew… I was afraid this topic had fallen through. 😛
Good advice all around. Thank you both! -
Hope Ann replied to the topic The Peleg Chronicles in the forum Book Discussions 11 years ago
I just go the first book for free on my Kindle! I’m not sure when I’ll get around to reading it since I already have a few books on my reading list, but I’m looking forward to it. 🙂
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Maps in the forum Fantasy 11 years ago
I’ve done all my maps my hand…very time consuming, but they look cool. I’ve not had much experience with doing it on the computer though. 🙂
- Load More
