Your favorites of KP?

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Your favorites of KP?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Hey! I need your guysā€™ honest opinion. I canā€™t quite say the reason for why Iā€™m asking you this question right now, but I can say that itā€™s for a cool something-something the KP team and I have been working on.

What are your favorite articles on Kingdom Pen?

Whether you judge it on how helpful it was are from a per enjoyment stand point, it doesnā€™t matter. Just from all the articles youā€™ve read which ones have stood out to you?

If you also want to write why you liked them that would be awesome, but if you just want to list out your favorites and leave it at that, that totally works as well.

Anyways, I look forward to your answers!

I shall be waiting patiently.

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        • Total Posts: 6645

OOF!!

Ā 

ok I enjoy Articles that deal with character development and plot!!

Ooh some articles on different ways to outline and writing/drafting styles would be SUPER COOL IMO!!!! Cuz there are so many fun and different styles people have!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
        #ProtectMarcel
        #ProtectSeb

Kathleen
        @kathleenramm

@godlyfantasy12

Cool, cool. Character development, plot, and outlining. Got it.

Are there any particular articles on character development and plot that you liked? Iā€™m looking to identify if there are any common qualities between peopleā€™s favorite articles on KP.

GodlyFantasy12
          @godlyfantasy12

@kathleenramm

šŸ˜³

Ā 

ERMMM I havenā€™t read any KP articles in a HOT minute XD XD XD just tbhā€¦. šŸ˜‚ Iā€™m mostly on the forumā€¦ā€¦

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
            #ProtectMarcel
            #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12

I have read some but I canā€™t remember the names šŸ˜­

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12

The ones about movie characters areā€¦nice?

Ā 

but Iā€™d prefer if there were ones about characters types/tropes!

Like the ā€˜Insaneā€™ character? How to write a character with autism, things we Uhh kinda actually need? XD XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

MineralizedWritings
                @mineralizedwritings
                  • Total Posts: 2803

@kathleenramm

Oh I havenā€™t read many, but I do remember reading some about family stereotypes, those are good. I have a sister, but other than that I donā€™t have much of a basis for writing realistic families. Maybe thatā€™s why all my characters are only children šŸ¤£

And like Godly said, the movie examples are great. It helps to understand how to apply it.

Excited to see what you all are doing! šŸ˜

ćøć³ćÆć€€ć‹ć£ć“ć„ć„ć€€ć§ć™ļ¼

Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm

@godlyfantasy12

Haha, thatā€™s fine.

And yes! It would be awesome if a writer who is or is close with someone who is autistic could publish an article on how to write autistic characters accurately.

Kathleen
                    @kathleenramm

@mineralizedwritings

Thanks for the input! I think I know what articles your talking about, and yeah, I loved how much detail the author put into writing them.

Also, yes! Movie focused articles are some of my favorite as well.

Gwyndalf the Wise
                      @gwyndalf-the-wise
                        • Total Posts: 404

@kathleenramm

Well, since there hasnā€™t been any new articles lately I havenā€™t really been reading the blog in awhileā€¦

But, Iā€™ve enjoyed the movie articles, and how to write characters and plotā€¦

I enjoyed the movie ones because Iā€™ve seen those movies and can better identify what the writer is talking about because of that. I like the ones on writing characters and plots because it at least gives me a place to start with, and then I can build on from there.

Personally, I think it would be really awesome to have an article series on how we can prioritize God while writing.

Maybe an article on themes versus character arcs?

Maybe some on how to plot for a series? Especially a mystery series? definitely isnā€™t asking about that because Iā€™m stuck

And is the guy in the suit with the ice cream aĀ  reference to WriteFury? reference Iā€™m not getting or is he there because you wanted him to be?

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
                        (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Elizabeth
                        @lewilliams
                          • Total Posts: 252

@kathleenramm You donā€™t know how tempted I was to be like: ā€œthese articles are the BEST I love all of them theyā€™re all perfect :)ā€ and then just link to all the ones I wrote when I was an intern. šŸ˜›

But seriously, I tend to just enjoy whatever the blog puts out. (Iā€™m going to echo @gwyndalf-the-wiseā€™s enjoyment of the movie examples). I suppose Iā€™m drawn to character-related articles? Less big-picture stuff and more detailed instead?

Super excited for whatever the future of KP has in store!! šŸ™‚

ā€œSeven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?ā€

Kathleen
                          @kathleenramm

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Thanks for the input! I relate to what you said about being better able to understand the articleā€™s message and points when they are specifically unpacking a particular movie or book. Plus, itā€™s fun to read about your favorite books and movies.

However, I think you may have misinterpreted my question. But thatā€™s on me! After rereading my post I realized that it was kind of vague.

My main question was what articles specifically on Kingdom Pen are your favorite.

But your input on what articles you want to see on KP in the future is super helpful, so thank you so much!

lol, the dude in the suit with the ice-cream is the one and only great John Xina, quite possibly the greatest man of our generation, that is, if Quandale Dingle didnā€™t exist of course.

But in all seriousness, his picture was to represent me patiently waiting for responses to my post, haha.

@lewilliams

Elizabeth Willianā€™s articles you say? Hhmm going to have to check them out. Sound like some life-altering stuff your talking about here.

Ooo, more intimate character related articles is a great idea. It would also pare well with @gwyndalf-the-wise suggestion for more movie related articles. Thanks the input!

And yes! Iā€™m super excited about whatā€™s in store for Kingdom Pen too. šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Ā 

Elishavet Pidyon
                            @elishavet-pidyon
                              • Total Posts: 1013

@kathleenramm

Ok, so Iā€™ll keep this toĀ articlesĀ because I LOVE the short stories and poems, but thatā€™s not really what you seem to be asking.

I went back and looked through the articles for the ones that have really resonated with me and my pen. Sometimes they were just hilarious, sometimes encouraging, and sometimes challenging. I love the ones that really dig into a topic, whether a step by step process or just really pulling apart a complicated thing into understandable parts. I have also been mostly looking out for the character/plot building/worldbuilding ones.Ā  (Plus I really want to emulate the heart of classics.)

Disclaimer: I donā€™t often read the movie based ones because I usually havenā€™t watched the movie, and justā€¦ Havenā€™t gotten around to reading them yet.

How Beowulf Inspired The Lord of the Rings By Arien Andersen (really fascinating and it made me start thinking about what I want to inspire me.)

The When, Why, and How of Writing Dialects by Koshka

Is Creative Writing a Legitimate Way to Serve God? By: Abigail Metzger (good food for thought.)

How to use History to Strengthen Your Novel By Daisy Torres (for both wonderful applicability [really amazing advice] and the light hearted voice)

Dear Writer: An Open Letter By Rei Lovik

How To Write An Unforgettable Protagonist By Kayleigh Idea

Can Virtuous Characters be Interesting? Or must they Always be Morally Gray? By Bethany Fehr

The What, Why, and How of Foil Characters By Karissa Chmil

Writing Heroines: What the Woman of the Bible can Teach Us By Daisy Torres (I would love to have more of these. It was so good.)

How to Write a Meaningful Death for Your Hero By Joy C. Woodbury

Five Practical Exercises to Deepen Your Characters By Sandrina de Klerk

3 Guidelines for Keeping Biblical Fiction Biblically Accurate By Joy C. Woodbury

Four Key Ways to Practice Writing Vivid Descriptions By Jodi Clark

Classic vs Modern Literature ā€“ Strengths and Weaknesses By R.M. Archer

Hope that helps!

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Kathleen
                              @kathleenramm

@elishavet-pidyon

Woah, youā€™re really well versed in the KP catalogue.

And the list of articles wrote out is super helpful. While I know what articles have stood out to me, I really wanted to see which articles resonated with the rest of the community.

One of the common threadsĀ  and something you mentioned in your post) seems to be that the articles that go beyond the service and dig into the crucial details and nuances of the topic.

Itā€™s easy to write and find articles that glaze over basic points, but the articles that, as you said, pull apart the complexities of the topic are truly the meaningful and impactful articles.

Anyways, thank you so much for the list and your insights! I will be using them most definitely.

E. M. Trepke
                                @e-m-trepke
                                  • Total Posts: 145

@kathleenramm

And yes! It would be awesome if a writer who is or is close with someone who is autistic could publish an article on how to write autistic characters accurately.

Maybe I could try? It would be difficult as the autistic person Iā€™m closeish to has RAD as well. (Hence the -ish)

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good on, eh?
                                  -The Doctor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >