Y’ALLL!!!!! I started it…and I love this already!!! <3 Any thoughts? :D

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests Y’ALLL!!!!! I started it…and I love this already!!! <3 Any thoughts? :D

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Felicity
    @felicity
      • Total Posts: 811

@freedomwriter76

A lot, lol. XD

Why not?! 😀

Okay, so, Wolfgang is 18, Reuben is 20, Jakob is 24, Joshua is 25, and Leo is 28. Their ages will be revealed, just kinda slowly. But I have already established the order, so at least I have that! XD

Ooo…I see. Sounds good!

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 8156

@felicity.

Why not?! 😀

I know, right!?!?!? XDXDXD

Ooo…I see. Sounds good!

Thanks! 🙂

Anonymous

@koshka. @mineralizedwritings. @felicity. @godlyfantasy12. @elishavet-pidyon. @lightoverdarkness6. Oh, right, y’all! I forgot! I wrote another chapter of this!!!! Hahahaha!!!

Time for Wolfgang’s POV!!!! 😀

Chapter 6

Wolfgang dipped the brush into more green paint, as he put leaves on the tree.

It looked beautiful.

Wolfgang turned to Reuben with a grin. “I see why you like painting so much!”

Reuben nodded and laughed. “Yeah…now you see how fun it is.”

Wolfgang nodded. He loved the bright green paint.

It was happy and colorful.

Reuben was using a dark green, almost black, but Wolfgang liked the brighter green more.

Jakob leaned back against one of the bunk beds, a sigh escaping his lips.

Wolfgang looked over at him, eyebrow raised. “Jakob, what’s wrong?”

Jakob shook his head. “Ah, it’s nothing, Wolfgang. I’m just thinking.”

Wolfgang went back to his painting.

He could tell Jakob was lying, but if he didn’t want to talk about it, Wolfgang was okay with that.

He wasn’t going to push.

Leo sat on one of the beds, as Joshua, sitting beside him, wiped away blood and applied salve to the injuries on his forehead, cheek, and hands.

Apparently, a guard hadn’t liked Leo and Jakob’s work at the construction site.

Jakob had treated his on his own, as he hadn’t had as many, but Joshua was helping Leo out.

Wolfgang bit the inside of his cheek.

Why were they always being hit?

He finished the leaves on his tree and cleaned his brush. “There we go. Reuben, what do you think?”

Reuben smiled and nodded. “It looks beautiful, Wolfgang. Really good for your first time.”

Wolfgang smiled brightly. “Thanks! Now I can show you the song!” He turned to face his two oldest brothers. “Joshua, what is it called again…?”

Joshua smiled warmly. “It’s an old hymn written by John Newton. It’s called Amazing Grace.”

Wolfgang nodded and turned back to Reuben. “Yeah. That’s what it’s called…Joshua, uhm…what does ‘grace’ mean?”

Joshua smiled. “In the context of Newton’s hymn, it’s talking about the free and unmerited favor of God, demonstrated by the salvation of sinners and blessings.”

“And unmerited…? What does that mean?” Wolfgang asked softly, helping Reuben put up the brushes.

Jakob glanced at Wolfgang, and their eyes met. “It means something that isn’t earned.”

Wolfgang nodded and turned to Joshua. “So…? What does that mean then…about the song?”

“It means, Wolfgang, that the grace of God is free. We don’t have to do anything to earn it or deserve it…he gives it freely from the love and mercy of his heart. God’s grace, which is what Newton wrote about, is amazing in that it doesn’t have to be earned…we only have to call on him and, as the Bible says, he is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Wolfgang nodded. He wasn’t sure if he understood all of that…but at least he knew what the words meant.

“So…everyone can be forgiven…without earning it?” Reuben asked softly.

Joshua nodded and smiled. “That’s exactly it. Anyone can be forgiven, no matter what they’ve-“

“Even when they’ve done something horrible? Because I know some people that will never deserve forgiveness.”

Joshua’s smile faded. “There is no ‘deserving’ forgiveness, Jakob, because none of us ever could. It’s free and undeserved, just like we said.”

Wolfgang raised an eyebrow. “Does that mean we need to forgive too?”

Joshua nodded and smiled, brushing his curly, dark brown hair out of his brown eyes. “Yes, Wolfgang, it does. The Bible says that if we don’t forgive others, then God won’t forgive us.”

Jakob’s fists clenched. “Then God can hold everything against me all he wants. I’m not forgiving them for what they’ve done.”

Wolfgang glanced over at him.

“Jakob…we have to forgive. God did so much so we can be forgiven…the least we can do is-“

“God has done nothing for us, Joshua. Why haven’t you noticed that yet…?” Leo retorted bitterly.

Wolfgang leaned back against the bunk, watching his oldest brothers warily. They were all close and had never once hurt each other, except for when they were young, wild kids, but he still didn’t like arguments.

Arguments sometimes led to yelling, and Wolfgang hated yelling.

They didn’t argue much, but when they did…it was usually between the oldest three…but mostly Leo and Joshua.

Wolfgang didn’t know what to think about God…he didn’t really know anything about him, but both Joshua and Leo had decided their beliefs about God, and their beliefs were so different that it caused arguments between them pretty often.

“Leo…that’s not true. God sent his son to suffer and die for everyone, which includes us. And yeah, you know what? I don’t know why God has let all of us be hurt, but what I do know is that he works everything together for our good.”

“How can you still believe in all of that? Where has God done anything in our lives, Joshua, huh?”

Joshua’s brown eyes filled with concern as they softened. “Leo…”

“No. I don’t want to hear it.”

Jakob had gone silent, leaving the argument, and Wolfgang bit his lip.

How much longer would they keep arguing?

He wanted to teach Reuben the song.

“God doesn’t care, not one bit, Joshua. He hasn’t proved that he does, so it’s obvious that he doesn’t.”

“Leo…don’t say that…”

“But it’s true, isn’t it?” Leo asked, standing from where he had been sitting with a slight flinch.

He was still in pain, that much was certain.

Wolfgang inched even closer to the bunk bed, trying to stay as far away from the argument as possible.

Reuben watched the exchange, eyebrows furrowed together in concern, maybe fear.

“No, Leo. It isn’t. God does care, and he wants you to know and accept that.”

Leo turned on Joshua, quick, fists clenched. “Then he needs to prove it!”

Wolfgang jumped, moving even closer to the bunk bed, now completely up against it.

Her hand hit his cheek, hard, causing tears to form in his eyes. “Did you think you could really get away, boy!? Don’t you dare ever try to hide anything from me again…do I make myself clear?”

Wolfgang didn’t respond, too busy wiping away tears.

His cheek hurt.

His everything hurt!

She slapped him again, even harder, causing him to see stars and his cheek to bleed. “Do I make myself clear!?”

He didn’t have anywhere to go.

Anywhere to hide.

His breath heaved, but suddenly, someone was at his side.

“Wolfgang…? Wolfgang. Hey, Wolf, look at me…breath…”

Slowly, Jakob’s face registered before his eyes, and Wolfgang took in and let out a deep breath. “…Oh, Jakob, it-it’s you…”

Jakob slowly nodded. “Yeah, it’s me…Wolfgang…are you okay…?”

“Mm hm.” Wolfgang mumbled, just as Leo turned around, eyes widening.

“Wolfgang…Reuben…I-I didn’t…I’m sorry…”

Wolfgang just stared at him.

Leo had yelled…but he hadn’t hit anyone.

Right?

Reuben seemed out of it too.

The door opened, and Wolfgang turned to face it.

Steffi poked her head in. “Mutti and Vati heard someone yelling.” Her green eyes narrowed. “Is everything alright?”

Joshua stood. “Everything is fine, Steffi, nothing to be worried about.”

Steffi nodded and faced Leo, completely opening the door. “Mutti and Vati want to talk to you and Jakob about what happened at work today.”

Jakob set his jaw. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

“They want you now.”

Jakob’s fists clenched. “I said I’ll be there in a minute.”

Steffi shrugged. “Okay, fine, whatever. Doesn’t matter to me. Not my fault you want to cause trouble…Leo, are you coming?”

Wolfgang glanced from his youngest half-sister to his oldest brother.

His blue eyes met Leo’s dark brown.

There was…something in Leo’s eyes.

Something Wolfgang couldn’t put a finger on and didn’t know.

His eyes…they looked so…sad.

Leo looked away just as fast as their eyes had met, turning to face Steffi again. “Yeah, I’m coming. Jakob will come in a little while.”

The door closed behind Steffi and Leo.

“…It’s going to be more than just a friendly little chat…”

Wolfgang looked up at Joshua.

Jakob nodded. “I know that. Reuben, Wolfgang, are you two alright now?”

Reuben nodded. “We’re fine, but,” he bit his lip, “what about you and Leo?”

“We’ll be fine, don’t you worry about us.”

“Leo’s eyes looked so…sad. He was angry earlier…but then…they looked sad.”

Joshua glanced over at Wolfgang; eyebrow raised. “What do you mean?”

Wolfgang shrugged. “I don’t know…they just looked…sad.”

And he silently wondered why they were.

Jakob stood. “…Guess I’ll go downstairs and find Leo.”

Joshua nodded and smiled faintly. “Be careful.”

“I will.”

And the door closed as Jakob left.

Joshua picked his Bible up off the dresser and sat down in the chair beside the window, beginning to read.

Wolfgang felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned, to come face to face with Reuben. “…Do you want to show me that song now…?”

Wolfgang nodded. “Of course! Alright, so, this is how it starts…”

Anonymous

Welp, apparently, I have another one! XD

Chapter 7

April 1944

Marching boots sounded.

A Wehrmacht parade to celebrate Hitler’s birthday, which was in two weeks…so why were they celebrating now?

Leo ducked and weaved his way through the crowds, though a few people did elbow him and shove him, saying words he wouldn’t ever dare repeat.

He hated crowds.

Had since that day ten years ago.

Leo stood on the tips of his shoes, trying to see above the military hats and the women in heels, but no such luck. Stupid height.

Leo sighed and went back to ducking and weaving as people cheered and waved flags.

There would be a Schutzstaffel parade and Hitler Youth parade too, and he hoped to avoid both.

But he wasn’t going anywhere.

Not yet at least.

Not until he found his brothers.

He’d lost them in the crowd.

It was the whole reason he hated crowds in the first place…how easy it was to lose people in them.

Leo forced the memory from ten years ago back, but this wasn’t the first time he’d lost his brothers in a crowd.

Just another way he’d failed.

Leo glanced around, still looking, but he didn’t see them anywhere.

He ran his fingers through his dark brown, wavy hair, slightly pulling it, and groaned.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!

It was just like it was ten years ago. Only a little bit less scary, now that his brothers were older.

Wolfgang had been eight then.

Leo sighed and pulled his hands away, biting his lip.

That day had been the scariest of his life.

Leo began looking and moving around again, starting the search again.

The marching boots only got louder, almost pounding in his ears.

Leo took in a deep breath, still moving, ignoring the pain that was shooting from the bruises on his arms and chest from the past two weeks.

Two weeks of daily reminders of his stepmother and father’s…“lesson”.

“Move it, Jew.”

Leo was shoved and hit the ground, hard, and the man merely walked away.

He should have been used to it.

But it didn’t make it feel any better.

Leo forced himself to his feet, once again ignoring the pain, and stood.

He needed to find his brothers.

And soon.

~*~

They’d lost Leo in the crowd.

Jakob was standing on a crate, and at six four, he could see farther than the rest of them.

“See anything yet?”

Jakob shook his head. “Not yet, Joshua.”

Reuben bit his lip. “I hope he’s okay…”

Wolfgang wrapped an arm around Reuben. “I’m sure he’s okay! Leo’s tough.”

Joshua smiled at his youngest brother, who was ever the optimistic one.

Jakob jumped off the crate. “Yeah…I didn’t see him. There are way too many people here.”

“Why did they choose to have a parade now instead of later? And why on a Sunday…? Don’t they know people will be busy at church?” Wolfgang asked, eyebrows furrowing together.

Joshua shrugged. “They do what they want…no matter what anyone else says.”

Not to mention the fact that they were trying to take God completely out of Germany.

But what else could Joshua expect?

Joshua let out a deep sigh. “We need to find Leo…and maybe go on ahead and go home, even if our family isn’t there yet.”

Jakob nodded. “Sounds like a plan. But we need to find Leo first.”

Joshua nodded, still trying to not flinch at the sight of bruises on Jakob’s face.

The “incident” Leo and Jakob had at work a couple weeks ago hadn’t gone down well with Felix or Frida.

Jakob didn’t seem…bothered, though.

He hadn’t…not for a long time.

And Joshua knew why.

Joshua glanced around. “Well…where should we start looking?”

“Almost anywhere…he could be anywhere with these crowds…” Jakob replied, somewhat gruffly.

Joshua nodded in agreement. “Well, we better start then if we’re ever going to find him before the other parades start.”

Reuben and Wolfgang both nodded in agreement, and they began walking, looking, avoiding as many people as possible.

They walked in the gutters rather than the sidewalk, as they were ordered to do, and looked, Joshua praying with every step.

But they still didn’t see a dark brown haired, dark brown eyed, tan skinned young man who had a Jewish star on his coat.

Reuben bit his lip, worry in his blue eyes. “I really hope no one hurt him…”

Joshua nodded in agreement, before almost colliding into a man and a woman and a couple kids. “Ah! Sorry!” He cried, quickly stepping out of the way, but the man and woman stopped, and the man turned to face him.

“Joshua!? Joshua Baumann!?”

“Leon! Oh, hey, I didn’t see you.”

Leon chuckled. “None of us can see anyone with this crowd.”

Joshua smirked. “That’s the truth. Oh, Leon, these are my three younger brothers, Jakob, Reuben, and Wolfgang.”

Leon gave them all a smile and wave. “I’m Leon Wagner. I work at the Wehrmacht factory with Joshua. And this is my wife Aadelheide…”

Joshua nodded and waved at the blonde-haired woman, who smiled back.

“…And our kids, Isabel, Albert, and Elias.”

Joshua glanced first at the blonde-haired little baby in Aadelheide’s arms, then the black-haired toddler in Leon’s arms, and finally, the little, blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl who clutched Leon’s free hand.

She reminded him of his six-year-old cousin Edy.

Leon smiled. “What are all of you doing here, anyways?”

Jakob sighed. “We came with our family, and now we’ve gotten separated from our oldest brother.”

“Oh no…can we help you look for him?”

Joshua turned to face Aadelheide, who had her lips pursed in worry. She didn’t wear a star like Leon… or Joshua and his brothers…she must have been German.

Isabel looked up at Leon. “We can help them, right Daddy?”

Leon smiled, nodded, and faced Joshua again. “Where did you last see him?”

“You don’t have to help us…”

Leon smiled softly. “We don’t have to do anything, Joshua, but we want to help you find your brother.”

Joshua slowly nodded, grateful to God and Leon. “Alright then.”

Leon nodded and smiled. “Good. We’ll help you then. Now, what does Leo look like?”

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings
              • Total Posts: 2803

@freedomwriter76

LOVE IT!!!!

And wolfgang 😥 I love him to

Lots of really good stuff in there! I like how you show that Leo’s unforgiveness/bitterness effects all the brothers and makes it harder for them to get through a difficult time together. I really liked the scene where Wolfgang is against the bunk, trying to stay out of it, and feeling really confused. It just really captured how this effects him, and I felt so bad for him 😭😭😭

Keep up the great work!!

へびは かっこいい です!

Anonymous

@mineralizedwritings.

LOVE IT!!!!

AHHH!!! THANK U SOOOO MUCH!!!! <33333

And wolfgang 😥 I love him to

AGH!!! I know, right!?!? Such a sweet, precious, innocent baby!!!!

Lots of really good stuff in there!

Thank you sooo much!!! 😀 <3333

I like how you show that Leo’s unforgiveness/bitterness effects all the brothers and makes it harder for them to get through a difficult time together.

Hehheh…yeah…and then I feel bad for all of them, including Leo. I just have to say that I love these brothers so much. XD XD XD

I really liked the scene where Wolfgang is against the bunk, trying to stay out of it, and feeling really confused. It just really captured how this effects him, and I felt so bad for him 😭😭😭

OOH, I like that part too. And yes…Wolfgang doesn’t understand a whole, whole lot right now…. *sniffs and sobs*

Keep up the great work!!

Thank you!!! I will! 😉 <333

GodlyFantasy12
                @godlyfantasy12
                  • Total Posts: 6645

@freedomwriter76 UGH MY HEART 😭 WHYYYYY WOLFGANG AND REUBEN! WOLFGANG ASKING WHAT GRACE AND UNMERITED MEANT BROKE MY HEART!!! HE IS JUST LIKE PAXTON 😭

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                  #ProtectMarcel
                  #ProtectSeb

Light
                  @lightoverdarkness6
                    • Total Posts: 1626

@freedomwriter76

AWWWW!!! Girl, you’ve done it again!! My goodness, Wolfgang is so precious!! And poor, sweet, Leo. And Jakob!! And Joshua and Rueben…XDXD

I love it!!! Great job!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Light.

#HugRikerSquad

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >