Writers' Corner #22

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #22

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 587 total)
  • Author
    Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17
      • Total Posts: 2522

@seekjustice @catwing @rochellaine @alia @ariel-ashira @dekreel @ariella-newheart

I’m writing-drawing-blogging-researching-watching tv. 😛 Anyone on?

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
      www.jennaterese.com

Ariella Newheart
      @ariella-newheart
        • Total Posts: 141

@jenwriter17 *waves* I’m doing research, too.

INFJ. An extroverted introvert who loves to write and draw.

*disappears into the shadows*

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17

@ariella-newheart Sorry, I didn’t see that you came on until now; I had left for a while. Are you still here?

www.jennaterese.com

Ariella Newheart
          @ariella-newheart

@jenwriter17 Yeah, for a little longer. I was able to find names for two characters of mine. 😀

What are you researching?

Jenna Terese
            @jenwriter17

@ariella-newheart Cool; character name research is always fun. 🙂

I was researching some things for my superhero book (pretty unnecessary things actually…), but right now I’m researching non-writing things (horse training, photography, etc.)

Are you still researching character names?

www.jennaterese.com

Ariella Newheart
              @ariella-newheart

@jenwriter17 Horse training? That’s cool. My sister takes riding lessons, and I take art lessons from the same lady who teaches her. 😛

Are you still researching character names?

Nope, I’m just catching up on emails before I head off to get some actual writing done. The names I decided on are Neela and Lorcan. Lorcan is a scribe with knife-throwing skills who is also very musical and has synesthesia (he can see colors when he listens to songs). Neela is his extremely introverted little sister. I’m still working on developing her character. (It’s hard because she doesn’t talk much to anyone but her brother.)

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17

@ariella-newheart That’s awesome. 😀 I’ve been taking riding lessons for a while too.

I like the name Neela. I met someone once that had heard me play a song and she said she saw colors (purple or blue I think), and I thought that was really strange. But now that you say the actual name for that, it doesn’t seem to weird. 😉 It’s really interesting.

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17

@ariella-newheart

I have to leave now. Nice talking to you!

www.jennaterese.com

Catwing
                    @catwing
                      • Total Posts: 2557

@jenwriter17 @dekreel @rochellaine @ariella-newheart @alia I’m here working a blog post. Anyone around?

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Ariella Newheart
                      @ariella-newheart

@dekreel @jenwriter17 @catwing

I’m formulating a plot twist that could possibly make readers cry. Also, does anyone have any tips for making good foil characters?

valtmy
                        @valtmy
                          • Total Posts: 732

@ariella-newheart

Hi. Not sure if you are still around but sounds like you are working on something interesting. 😛

The MCs in my WIP have somehow managed to become foils to one another so perhaps I can help. What stage are you at? Character creation or actually writing the characters?

Ariella Newheart
                          @ariella-newheart

@valtmy I’m doing a bit of both, actually. The character involved in the aforementioned plot twist is who I’m writing at the moment, but I’m also creating a new character who may be a foil. The theme of this story is “freedom,” and the story revolves around the question of what freedom truly is and how to obtain it.

valtmy
                            @valtmy
                              • Total Posts: 732

@ariella-newheart

Sounds like a topic with a lot of potential to explore. Is there a specific type of freedom you’re looking at? 😛

What I understand about foils is that their purpose is to help readers better understand another character. I usually try to avoid the intentional design of one character as a foil to another right from the start because I am personally guilty of rolling my eyes whenever I read about characters that clearly exist just to be “dark mirrors” or “the voice of reason” or whatnot to the hero. So what I do is to always try to establish at least the base of the character first before even thinking about the word “foil”.

My advice would be to first plan the character arcs in your story based on your theme (have characters live out different experiments in living that display the different ideas on what freedom is and show the consequences) and give your characters the fitting traits, values, motivations etc. This should give rise to contrasts in your characters’ personalities and qualities so when you’re writing them, opportunities to highlight their differences can come naturally.

I also tend to give my “foil pairs” some aspect in which they are similar in their background, personality etc. as this would help emphasize their differences and that their choices as individuals do matter (e.g. two characters experiencing the same event but reacting in different ways or two characters sharing the same MBTI personality type but being very different).

Ariella Newheart
                              @ariella-newheart

@valtmy The society in which the main character lives revolves around promises that are binding for life. Some characters have willingly given up their freedom, others do all they can to keep their freedom. I hope to convey that the only true freedom is found in Christ. (This is a fantasy book, so God is called Yehoveh, the Ancient One, or even Truth)

Thank you for the advice about foil characters! I think I’ll start writing down the character arcs in more detail and go from there. I watched a webinar about this subject a while back, but I had forgotten that foil characters are often similar in background or personality. Hm, that actually fits for two existing characters of mine.

Joy
                                @dekreel
                                  • Total Posts: 2304

@ariella-newheart  @valtmy  @catwing  @rochellaine  @ariel-ashira  @jenwriter17

Anyone here? I’m working on a roleplay.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 587 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >