Writers' Corner #17

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #17

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author
    Ariel Ashira
    @ariel-ashira
      • Total Posts: 739

@jenwriter17 I am trying to come to a decision on what I am gonna name some of my characters.

"In a mask, was he?"

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@ariel-ashira Hey, how’s it going?  Did you burn your character yet?  Or are you already healing him/her? 😛

@jenwriter17
        Hello!  I’m still working on my parents books.  I’m setting them up so people can buy them online, since I’ve been procrastinating and still haven’t done that. 😮

How about you?  Still editing?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Ariel Ashira
        @ariel-ashira

@rochellaine Like I mentioned, I am only able to research right now, not actually write the thing.  So no, my character is a ways from being burnt.

How does the title “My Blood for Yours” sound?

"In a mask, was he?"

Jenna Terese
          @jenwriter17
            • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine Awesome 🙂 I’m actually writing a letter and outlining my next WIP some.

@ariel-ashira
            name deciding is hard. 😉

ooh, that’s an intriguing title.

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
            www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@ariel-ashira *facepalm* Ohh, I can’t believe I forgot that!  Sorry. 😛

That name sounds very cool.  It confuses me because I usually hear the variation, “My blood for his” so that makes your version interesting and different.

@jenwriter17
              Choosing names is hard, but also extremely fun!  But only recently have I discovered the joy in it.  I am appalled at the horrible plain and boring names my younger self picked for my first books.  The children’s series is about Mary, John, Jane, and Andy Barnes…the time travel novel has Susanna and Thomas Jackson and Richard and Lucy Wilson.  The only name I came up with that was mildly interesting was Raymond Vincent, and even that I hesitate to approve at this point in my naming capabilities. 😛

I mean, seriously.  Aren’t those names about as boring as they get?!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Ariel Ashira
              @ariel-ashira

@rochellaine @jenwriter17 Im glad you like it!  I will likely name it that, but of course I dont really know for sure yet.  I am having the worst time I have ever had naming characters yet!  Medieval English names are pretty awful for the most part.  😛

"In a mask, was he?"

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17

@rochellaine haha, yes spicing up names is fun! I used to choose either very plain names or names that sounded like they were from another planet. Weird and hard to spell and pronounce 😛 I’m finding an in-between ground 😉

www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@ariel-ashira What happened to your biblical era story?  Are you still working on that?

What type of names are from the medieval era?  I love names like Ethel and AEmilia but those are from a lot earlier.  For some reason my brain isn’t letting me remember the medieval style right now.  Could you give me some examples of what you’ve found?

@jenwriter17
                    😛 Haha.  I also like thinking of names that are weird and hard to pronounce, but since I don’t write fantasy I just pass them on to others.  😉  I think I’ve done pretty well with naming the characters in my western.  Chara Doran and Derek and Raelyn Leitner sound normal, but still interesting…at least to me.  What’s the weirdest name you’ve ever used?  I’ve used Rutbroon and Sanjoorac. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
                    @jenwriter17

@rochellaine yeah I like the names you chose in your western 🙂 wow those names are strange 😀

hmm, none of my weird names are coming to mind *flips through years-old notebooks*

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17

@rochellaine @ariel-ashira Well I have to go now gals 🙂 have fun!

www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice
                          • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine @ariel-ashira Either of you on? I’m editing……..

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@ariel-ashira @rochellaine Excuse me??? Talking about names without me? That is only my favourite subject ever (after using symbolism in stories).

But I don’t often use “weird” names, because I don’t usually make up my own names. Probably the weirdest names I’ve used are things that aren’t really names (Waif, Justice, etc)

Having said that, Augustine Quillon is a pretty strange name.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@seekjustice Ah, but you forgot @jenwriter17 !  She was talking about names without you too. 😛 (See how cleverly I divert the attention from myself?)

Today I randomly started humming “Music of the Night” and I got very confused because I had been thinking about Star Trek, Stargate: SG-1 and The Flash, so I didn’t know how my brain had connected that to Phantom of the Opera. 😮 😛

I’m on now, still working feverishly on my parents’ books.  And wondering tremulously if any more of your characters will expire during the editing process…or is it possible that some will be revived?!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

@rochellaine Very clever. *frowns, unimpressed* (oh, you’re a chosen one now!)

That is weird! But I’m literally doing a blog post currently about the random things I’ve found written in my notebook concerning Justice and Chessy for the most part, so I’m finding a lot of very weird things.

No more will die. I promise you that, faithfully. I’d never really thought if some are revived. Some characters don’t exist anymore, so they can’t die.

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@seekjustice *checks status* Oh, yes I am!  Haha, I really don’t care anymore, so I haven’t been paying attention to it.

Ah, yes.  It took me two years to write my time travel novel (remember what I told you about being a slow writer? 😛 ) and by the time I had finished I had matured in my writing over the two years so second half was much better than the beginning.  But I found some scenes I had stashed away somewhere and never used but had written near the start of the book as potential later scenes, and my goodness!  they are so melodramatic and overacted and kinda just plain weird.  They sound like 1900s dime novels, except worse.

I’m very interested in reading that blog post, though!

Some characters don’t exist anymore, so they can’t die.

Hm, what a deep philosophical discussion that could be turned into.  It reminds me of the time my sisters and I were saying it would be nicer to my characters if I killed them, because then they could go to heaven, and that by the same token I should only kill my favorite characters, and save the villains alive.

Now it’s even worse.  My brain has been repeating over and over and has even gotten me to sing aloud, “the Phaaaaaaaantom of the op-er-a is here, inside my mind!” *puts hands over ears* *realizes that won’t help since the music is coming from inside my head* *is completely freaked out for obvious reasons* Actually, the last one was added just for effect.  I think I should be freaked out, but I’m not.  The Phantom of the Opera is a completely fictional tale. 😉 But did you see my “you know you’re a writer when..” post?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 1,005 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >