Writers’ Corner 01

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers’ Corner 01

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 886 total)
  • Author
    Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting
      • Total Posts: 1700

@gracie-j Ballet pretty lit, except now we take Zoom classes, haha. And yes, I do pointe. I have very mixed feelings about pointe.

Lately, it's been on my brain
      Would you mind letting me know
      If hours don't turn into days

Gracie J.
      @gracie-j
        • Total Posts: 1789

@devastate-lasting 😆 Mixed feelings about pointe? No kidding! I’d always wanted to make it that far, but, you know, two years doth not qualify. I have a pair of pointe shoes I play around with, I guess you could say, and–yeah. They’re something else, all right.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j You have a blog/website, right? I wanted to create a thread to ask about it, but the forum wouldn’t let me XD so I guess I’ll just ask here… Any, uh, tips? What domains/builders to use?

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting I do. I built it in Wix, because they have the best and easiest customization. You can design and edit your site perfectly without any skills, and I have no computer skills, so… That being said, they’re not as good for bloggers as, say, WordPress. Wix is free, yes, but the free domain for me is http://www.novelist056.wixsite.com/graceajohnson. It’s neither simple nor pretty, and paying for the custom domain, at the cheapest plan, is $14 a month.

Something like WordPress is a lot harder to operate. I tried building building a blog for my sister with WordPress, but I could neither find a template that looked good nor navigate their designing…thing. So I went back to Wix for her, since I LOVE the way they let you design your site.

That being said, WordPress is geared toward bloggers and is not only cheaper for a custom domain but the free one is much simpler. @e-k-seaver did her blog/site with WordPress and her URL is http://www.ekseaver.wordpress.com. No clunky username. No slashes.

My blog is easy to operate on Wix, so I have no qualms there. It pulls up nice. I can manage it easily. I can embed HTML code and upload pictures/videos and GIFs.

Ad-wise, free domains all have the website-builder’s ads–but on both Wix and WordPress sites, they’re just a banner at the top of the screen. (And I use Wix and WordPress as examples because they’re the most popular and the ones I’ve had experience with, but there are many other website-builders out there.)

I don’t know how you feel about ads and space and what have you, so you might would want a custom domain plan to have more space and other options on your site/blog, but usually the free plan works fine.

Overall (sorry if that’s too much info), I really like using Wix; I just don’t like the pricing for a custom domain or the free domain name. But to get a cheaper or better named website, it’s a lot more work to get it looking the way you want it. I guess it all depends on what matters to you more–aesthetic appeal or money.

If you don’t mind having a domain name that looks something like this http://www.yourusername.wixsite.com/linyangauthorblog, or you have the money to pay for a better one, then I would definitely suggest Wix. They operate so much better and it’s easy to go in and edit your site at any time. Management of posts, newsletters, etc. is super easy too. But if you don’t mind a simpler site that you may not be able to customize much, then definitely go with WordPress.

That help?

Gracie J.
            @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting BTW, did not realize that your fake website URL would actually turn into a link. Hah!

E. K. Seaver
              @e-k-seaver
                • Total Posts: 344

@devastate-lasting, I’ve never used Wix but coming from a WordPress, it’s worked great for me. It takes a bit to find the right theme, but it’s super low maintenance and automatically shows up in people’s feeds. 🤷🏽‍♀️

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
                ekseaver.wordpress.com

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j I was thinking about Wix! They seem really easy to use (also their domain name is much shorter).

@e-k-seaver
                  I might try WordPress as well. Seems pretty popular among authors.

(Though personally I’m wondering if I should combine my author and music stuff to make one website or make separate…)

Gracie J.
                  @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting Wix is definitely super easy to use! I had so much fun designing my site, and they have so many options, from fonts to colors to layout, that come together in a matter of minutes!

WordPress is certainly the most popular, and I can see why, since they’re so tailored to blogs.

Hmm…if you wanted to do them separate, you could do one site in each site-builder, just to get the feel of both of them. That might be harder to manage, though.

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j Thanks for all the tips! I really appreciate it!

(Also me: *looks at Weebly*)

Also both of your sites look really good! I’m quite impressed!

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine
                        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice @jenwriter17 @valtmy @alia @gracie-j

Anyone around?  I’ll be here for a little while.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine
                          • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice @jenwriter17 @valtmy @alia @gracie-j

I’m here again. 🙂

Anyone else?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
                          @jenwriter17
                            • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine You still here?

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                            www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                            @jenwriter17

@seekjustice @rochellaine @alia @gracie-j @dekreel @valtmy

I’ll be around for a bit today…

www.jennaterese.com

Gracie J.
                              @gracie-j

@jenwriter17 I’m here blogging… What’re you up to?

Jenna Terese
                                @jenwriter17

@gracie-j Hi! 😀 I’m kind of going back and forth from editing, researching pitching articles to websites, and research about the election. XD

www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 886 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >