Why did you start writing? Why are you still writing?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics Why did you start writing? Why are you still writing?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Arien
    @arien
      • Total Posts: 193

@lightoverdarkness6

So, I’ve always loved reading. Even when I was little enough to not know how to read, I would sit in the floor with a picture book and try to read to myself and my mama.

LOL. I “read” to my sister and my friend when I was super little too. 😊

And as I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized how most regular YA and middle fiction is just trash!! No good morals, they’re depressing and saddening. And I want to be able to write good, uplifting, and inspiring stories for teens to read without worrying.

I know, right? That’s my goal too. There is some sad/depressing stuff in my books, but there’s always hope at the end. Light over darkness, right? 😉 I actually wrote a kind of essay about why and how I came to write A Dream Come True, and I titled it “Light Beyond Shadow,” after a song I had recently heard.

Thanks for letting me rant! 😊

Of course! 😊 KP is for ranting 😂

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
      -Christopher Blakewell

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2794

@arien

Previous to that, my sister and I would make up stories with out stuffies and toys.
        Yes, us too! So much fun, right? I would make literally anything I was doing into a story when I was younger–mostly playing outside, but also cooking, cleaning my room, doing laundry, anything! I told my stories out loud, too, so I bet all my neighbors thought, “Oh, there’s that girl walking around talking to herself . . .” LOL

LOL 😂

I could see doing that as a kid. Thankfully I did it with my sister, so I never had to make stories by myself. We would talk late at night about our stories, me leaning over the bunk bed railing and her sticking her head out from the bottom 🤣

Something similar happened to me, except my problem was that I didn’t want to move. But I sympathize with wanting an impossibly perfect family. I turned to writing about kids with perfect parents (or at least what I thought a perfect parent would be). But thankfully, God has shown me that was wrong, and my writing has changed to reflect human people, not perfect ones, which is much healthier. 😊

I think I worded that wrong. “Less than perfect family” was my nice way of saying… actually not the best XD. So yeah, I wright a lot of broken families. Much of the ones I write about are much worse than mine. The escape part came more in writing my characters having fun and adventure, because lol I just don’t have much of that. But writing totally feels like an adventure. And yeah! I agree, and I think that realistic families makes writing more fun to read.

@sarafini @lightoverdarkness6 @esther-c

Enjoyed reading all your stories! 😊

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
        @felicity
          • Total Posts: 811

@arien

Yes, I do know that hymn! It’s so true!!

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3202

@lightoverdarkness6

Awesome!!

@the-rest-of-y’all

I love your stories! Their each unique in their own way!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Felicity
            @felicity

@arien

And girl, your testimony is beautiful! That’s so amazing how God worked everything out in your life.

Yes, Praise the Lord! I’m growing and learning how to trust Him more every day.

My sister and I had nothing to do except write and go on walks and talk about writing, so that’s what we did. 😂 It was really helpful though!

That sounds lovely!!!!!

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 692

Thanks guys! I honestly wish I could say I’ve always loved writing. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. Lol. I hated it so much I can’t even tell you guys. Lol. I’m so glad that changed. 🙂

Felicity
                @felicity

@sarafini

I still hate some kinds of writing, like essays.

Koshka
                  @koshka
                    • Total Posts: 1424

@arien

Why did I start writing? Let me think…I don’t know. I grew up in and around books, and I guess it just naturally transferred to writing them. My siblings and I made up stories and histories for our made up play world’s, and we always intended to write them down.

Why am I still writing? I love words; how they work, how they change, and the pictures they create. I have ideas and tales in my head that just won’t go away. I read a new book and see all the ways my characters could relate to them. Most of all I guess I’m still in love with story.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h
                      • Total Posts: 3875

@lightoverdarkness6 Oh, that’s awesome!

@arien
                      I’m not actually sure what I meant by that……..

And I did the artwork myself! I love to draw.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h

@mineralizedwritings You made up stories with stuffed animals? When I was eight I’d do the same…..

Now I do it with Legos. My brother and I have a whole timeline for our Lego universe.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@felicity yeah I don’t like those. I once did an IEW course, and wasn’t a huge fan of that.

Felicity
                          @felicity

@keilah-h

My sister did the IEW course and it scared me! I took one for creative writing which was a lot better and than two different Literature ones which were so enjoyable. 😀

Keilah H.
                            @keilah-h

@felicity I liked my creative writing course a lot better, too!

MineralizedWritings
                              @mineralizedwritings
                                • Total Posts: 2794

@keilah-h

Yeah, it’s fun isn’t it? We’ve all gotta start somewhere, and legos/stuffies isn’t a bad place!

へびは かっこいい です!

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h

@mineralizedwritings Yep! My brother has the awesomest villain groups!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >