When is dark writing no longer writing for God?

Home Page › Forums › Fiction Writing › Mission, Calling & Ethics › When is dark writing no longer writing for God?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@whalekeeper wow! So that trope seems to be very common (plz don’t take that wrong just bear with me till the end) but when I read that last line u wrote, my brain went “WOW!”

if you can get that point across, man!! Your book…would be great IMO! (Not that it wouldn’t be otherwise XD) but that last line about one being drowned in sadness and the other completely ignoring it?

It hit me.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 692

So I thought I’d jump in here.

1st off: I agree with y’all on Harry Potter. I never want to read or watch the series because of the bad stuff I heard about it.

2nd: I love Facing the Giants.

And now for my point of view on this topic: I’m going to take a stance that I don’t think anyone else has: language. I can’t do it. It’s bad enough hearing it but personally it’s worse for me to read it and always gives me a stomach ace. For example I had to read To Kill a Mockingbird for school and there was some not so nice language in there. I think we can show sinful behavior in other ways and not using language. A lot of my favorite movies and books don’t have language and that’s a big part of why I love them. I know you guys probably have different views on this but if I saw a bad word in a book, it would turn me off of it. I probably wouldn’t even finish it and that’s just because of who I am. I’ve heard different stances on this issue and I’m not upset at any Christian who does it (if they’re using it to show the sinfulness) but I do think we should all think carefully before putting any darkness of any kind in our books because if used in the wrong way (even accidentally) could make it so kids or teens (especially 8-12) want to make bad choices. You know? Boys seem to be the most vulnerable to language. I’ve heard lots of teenage boys use bad language even at church and Christian homeschool events.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed my rant on bad language. Lol

GodlyFantasy12
        @godlyfantasy12

@sarafini oh yes, I do not write bad language, don’t speak bad language, (worst I say is dang and that’s on EXTREMELY rare occasions and I’m usually quoting something or making a joke)

I don’t even know if I’m comfortable writing a character saying Shoot XD XD

as for reading and hearing it, I’ve kinda gotten more…used to it if that makes sense as I’ve gotten older so it doesn’t bother me quite as much, but yes I completely understand. Don’t lose that if at all possible!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
          #ProtectMarcel
          #ProtectSeb

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 692

@GodlyFantasy12

Same. I don’t mind hearing mildly bad like O my gosh or O my goodness, good grief or rats that you might hear in kids movies but the more rough language I can’t take.

Whaley
            @whalekeeper
              • Total Posts: 2635

@sarafini

I guess for me, it depends on several things – how bad the word is, how often it’s used, and if it’s portrayed as fine or not (last one being the most important). But yeah, I can’t handle swearing most of the time. One time, a friend gave me a book about violence against minority groups. She’s into those kinda books right now, and I decided to tough up and read it. I put it down after thirty minutes. My mood had steadily darkened throughout my test read. Half of my anger was triggered by the violence, and the other half by the swear-words. There were at least four big swear-words on each page. They weren’t treated with care, and were even glorified. I  just couldn’t. To Kill a Mockingbird was a fine, and even favorite read of mine because of the historical context – again, we all have different tolerances – but to just throw words in there for fun? No way.

@godlyfantasy12

Aw, thanks!! 💛 It’s one of my favorite tropes and I’ve always wanted to write it… Actually, I wrote ‘drowning in his own sadness,’ because he literally almost drowns in it. Complicated. It’s a magical world where, hehe, fish fly.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

MineralizedWritings
              @mineralizedwritings
                • Total Posts: 2803

@godlyfantasy12

😊 I love reading your writing actually so please do tag me!!

Oh ok! I will! 😀

u can always ask about anything u want to know about my stories and I can share without getting into the things you don’t like! 😊

That would be great!

Perhaps I could ask then…

How do you plan a romance? I’ve never done one before (I see you might have some experience with this?) and I have one in the later part of my book. I’m not sure how to handle it because it affects the girls little brother more than anything, so it’s almost a sideplot to his character development, but it’s still very important to me I portray it well. I’m just not sure how much screentime it’s going to get.

On a less serious note…

How is Paxton so adorable?

🤣

へびは かっこいい です!

Whaley
                @whalekeeper
                  • Total Posts: 2635

@godlyfantasy12

AcK yes I have a slight romance in a story too.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@sarafini

I get that! I never wright swearing at all.

@godlyfantasy12

Same actually, I became more talorant to it with time. I guess it’s a exposure thing, not that that’s good. I left public school in 6th grade, right when it was starting to get bad. It’s like kids discover it exists at some age. I still would not feel good about writing it though.

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
                    @felicity
                      • Total Posts: 811

@sarafini

I agree with you. Instead of writing bad language, I sometimes make up my own expressions to use in my stories. One of my characters says “Great Goliath!” sometimes. 😀

In the movie Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail (I only saw part of it. It’s pretty violent) there’s a part where Indie takes Jesus’ name in vain. I was shocked and felt angry at him, and then guess what his dad does? He slaps Indie hard in the face and says, “DON’T SAY THAT!”

And I thought in righteous indignation, thank you for doing that! My blood was boiling.

As far as reading language, I’m not sure where I stand. I read To Kill A Mockingbird too and didn’t appreciate the language, but it was a really good story. I don’t feel like reading a few words here and there is going to cause me to start saying them, but that’s just me. I definitely keep books that have language away from my younger siblings because I don’t want them exposed to it until they’re older/more mature.

The only time I wanted to put language in my writing was when writing a story about the battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War. I wanted to be Historically accurate, and most soldiers used language. But I couldn’t make myself do it. Does anyone have any thoughts on the concept of historical accuracy vr. no language?

He must increase, but I must decrease.

MineralizedWritings
                      @mineralizedwritings

@felicity

Yeah, I can understand wanting to be accurate. I’ve seen authors put “he swore under his breath” or something like that. Or you can say cursed at (insert character) I don’t think it’s as effective as the words themselves for portraying the mood, but that doesn’t mean we need to do that. I think it’s enough to get it across, and there’s just some things we don’t need to wright.

I would say with using that it still doesn’t portray it being wrong, and it could come off the wrong way. So idk. It’s a way to wright it without getting involved in it, but you need to pay attention to the portrayal.

へびは かっこいい です!

GodlyFantasy12
                        @godlyfantasy12

@mineralizedwritings @whalekeeper

Ahh….romance *sighs dreamily and falls onto a large bed XD*

How about we make a forum topic for romance subplots? If y’all want to?

As for Paxton….

IKR?! Quite honestly idk. I just have a thing for adorable little boys and had to have one in my series. Plus it does make the things he go thru…a lot worse…but, also makes the happier parts, the hope he keeps and family he finds all the more special and impacting.

IMO, I sometimes feel worse for those who were hurt who don’t find families or love  until their older vs those who do when their kids because I have to think about them going through it for soooo long. Even tho yes, you have to see them still as a child and your like “this is so sad!” When I see them older, my brain just says, “man they went thru even more because they couldn’t find hope at a younger age….

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                          #ProtectMarcel
                          #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                          @godlyfantasy12

@felicity imo, I wouldn’t trade Christian value for historical accuracy.

The way I see it, people won’t notice if language isn’t there, but they will notice if it is.

make sense?

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                            #ProtectMarcel
                            #ProtectSeb

MineralizedWritings
                            @mineralizedwritings

@godlyfantasy12

How about we make a forum topic for romance subplots? If y’all want to?

Yeah! That sounds good.

As for Paxton….

IKR?! Quite honestly idk. I just have a thing for adorable little boys and had to have one in my series. Plus it does make the things he go thru…a lot worse…but, also makes the happier parts, the hope he keeps and family he finds all the more special and impacting.

Aww yeah! Same lol. Happy he gets a good ending 🥰 he deserves it.

IMO, I sometimes feel worse for those who were hurt who don’t find families or love until their older vs those who do when their kids because I have to think about them going through it for soooo long. Even tho yes, you have to see them still as a child and your like “this is so sad!” When I see them older, my brain just says, “man they went thru even more because they couldn’t find hope at a younger age….

Oh yeah… I see that. Like the toll it takes to go through something for that long is really impactful.

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
                              @felicity

@mineralizedwritings

Yeah, good thoughts. That’s better than writing the actual word for sure.

Felicity
                                @felicity

@godlyfantasy12

The way I see it, people won’t notice if language isn’t there, but they will notice if it is.

Good point. Very good point.

Hey I’m in if you start a Romance Subplots topic!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 100 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >