When is dark writing no longer writing for God?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics When is dark writing no longer writing for God?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    TheLoonyOne
    @theloonyone
      • Total Posts: 404

@mineralizedwritings

Oh, this is definitely a topic that I’ve thought about.

I think the biggest thing is to separate good and evil and to make it clear that good is good and evil is evil, which is what most everyone else said. Once my dad said something along the lines of ‘if you want to read something with a lot of adultery and murder then read the Bible. But the difference between the Bible and most things in the world right now is that it makes it clear that those are sins’. Kinda similar to what @koshka and @loopylin said.

As humanity, there is a little part of us that wants to focus on evil, to make wrong not as awful as it is.

I’ve also thought about this a little. There are a lot of movies and other things being made right now that take villains and pretty much justify everything they do by giving them a sad backstory and glorifying them. I think that it explains what caused them to do what they did, but it doesn’t make it okay (obviously).

Going back to what I said in the beginning, we need to focus on separating good and evil and making sure that good is good and evil is evil. Humanity has always glorified evil and put down good and it’s our job as Christians to do the opposite.

(I confused myself writing this, so I’m sure everyone else is probably confused 😂)

(@starofthenorth @folith-feolin @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 )

Thoughts, anyone?

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        • Total Posts: 6645

@mineralizedwritings honestly I was a bit unsure of how to reply to this topic, but now I know.

First off, I agree with what others have spoken, they all have wonderful advice!

Secondly, some of it depends on what your version of “Dark” is.

There are many out there who are extremely against any form of “magic” even so far as card tricks, or the slightest wave of a wand.

And then there’s my family.

We love Dr Strange, lord of the rings, chronicles of Narnia.

But Harry Potter?

Nope.

Why? Because there is a difference.

I agree with what I believe it was @koshka said, when you begin delving into the occult your dealing with something entirely different.

And while yes Dr strange and things of that nature are not by any means “christian” they don’t go so far as to deal with real, sinful witchcraft as some things do. And if it did? We wouldn’t watch it. We use the Lord to guide us, and that is some of it too.

So it does depend on your own perspective of what “Dark” is. Although there are some things that are just downright sin, and lines MUST be drawn. Such as outright witchcraft, and sins that are wrong.

For instance, I’m currently struggling a bit myself with a character in an idea for a second series. He is a thief. As we all know, theft, stealing is wrong. However, he’s now doing it because he has become somewhat of a kleptomaniac (and yes he does still enjoy the thrill, and it makes for funny moments) but it’s still wrong.

And I, being the author, have to find a way to portray that, even if it eventually means ridding myself of my love of those comedic moments (because yes, I do love the rogueish thieves lol)

HOWEVER-

Violence really is a bit of a…hard debate.

Even in the Bible God had his armies, yet He is also the God of Peace.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood…

But God is by no means a pacifist. He is a God of judgement, but it is loving judgement. And Grace. Mercy.

So how do we portray this?

It really all comes down to balance.

If your characters must fight. Or if there be violence, even gross violence in your books (my series has wars and battles in them) then you must show what is the right side and the wrong side. The right way to fight and the wrong way.

HOWEVER….(again.)

This is…also where good writing technique comes in because while we must do this, this gives us a chance to “mess” with our readers by, at first, making them unsure of which is correct. Because in real life, things are confusing.

Just like how you had to ask this question. We, as humans, can’t always answer things for ourselves. We have to be shown. And just like our characters, sometimes they won’t always fight the right way at the beginning, or perhaps the reader won’t realize which is the right side, or will be conflicted.

BUT, so long as we, in the END, show and portray that THIS, is what is right, and THIS is what is wrong, and we do not glorify the wrong, I believe we have accomplished our task.

(I hope that makes sense)

And this does not just work for violence but most everything.

Last piece of advice-

My dad once told me something along the lines of: “If God is in your story, you don’t have to worry about the magic, and such.”

He said this when I was speaking to him and my mom about my magic system and Everytbing, and it’s also true about some other aspects as well.

While God doesn’t have to be super prevalent in your story (or even mentioned) as Christians we believe God created this world (and even if we write Fantasy) if God creates any world we create, then anything that is within it (the races, species, powers, “magic,” etc)

Thus, if we keep him in the midst of it all, we don’t have to worry about it.

The evil in the world, just as in our world, was created by sin, warping what God had already created. But the good in this world, was created by God. If your writing about our world, then it’s literally just like our world. And if you’re writing fantasy, sci fi, a whole other world, then just make God the creator of it (even if He’s never mentioned, you’ll know)

This has made all the difference in my thinking, and now? I no longer worry really about the magic in my books because it all stems from God, who created my world in my books.

Anyway….that was long and uh maybe more confusing then anything XD but I hope it helped? Idk… Lol

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
        #ProtectMarcel
        #ProtectSeb

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2803

@esther-c @folith-feolin @koshka @loopylin @lightoverdarkness6 @theloonyone @starofthenorth

Thank  you all for your replies! I enjoyed reading them.

@koshka

Take a look at how the Bible portrays evil. Does this book do the same?

That’s such a great way to sum it up!

へびは かっこいい です!

MineralizedWritings
          @mineralizedwritings

@godlyfantasy12

Thanks for your response!

I pretty much got everything you said 😅

Don’t worry about a long response, those are the best ones.  🙂

I haven’t read Harry Potter either. I don’t know a lot about it and why I never read it, but I trust my parents discernment to tell us not too.

I’ve been talking with my sister, she writes too. We don’t talk about magic too much, because neither of us use it in our worlds (that I’m aware of). She has a character who is a villain, but he often times exists for comedic purposes just like your thief. I can see how that distinction would become important.

“If God is in your story, you don’t have to worry about the magic, and such.”

I don’t feel I would ever write magic, just personal conviction. I think it’s more complicated to write, and I’m just a bit insure of it. I have read books with some magic (wingfeather) and still… lol idk.

Something we had talked about I hadn’t thought of (My sister’s read more books than I have, part of why we talk about this stuff alot) is often times people who have magic in there books that was granted by the god in there books give the characters control of it. For instance, perhaps it is used for the characters glory instead of the god’s glory.

Anyways, interesting stuff! 😃

へびは かっこいい です!

Light
            @lightoverdarkness6
              • Total Posts: 1626

@mineralizedwritings

You’re so welcome!! Thank you for making this topic!

@godlyfantasy12

You just said literally what i wanted to say, but so much better😂😅😮😊! No, it helped a lot!

@everyone

Y’all all helped me understand the difference between evil magic and godly magic better! Thank you all!

#HugRikerSquad

Felicity
              @felicity
                • Total Posts: 811

@mineralizedwritings

Thanks for starting this topic! It’s great that we can all share our thoughts as Christians and encourage one another.

Some people say, “Don’t write anything you wouldn’t let your little sister read.” I don’t agree with that, because there are some topics that need to be addressed but are not appropriate for younger children. Even some passages in the Bible we wouldn’t read to a little child, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have been written at all, obviously.

In this day and age, it is important that we talk/write about the issues we face in such a way that portrays evil as evil, good as good, and gives God the glory.

A lot of things are nuanced for each person. If you don’t feel comfortable writing about a certain subject, you could pray about it, and/or consider discussing it with your parents.  😀

I really like what @koshka said. She did a great job explaining things!

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Felicity
                @felicity

@godlyfantasy12

I’ve stayed away from Harry Potter mostly because the characters are specifically learning witch craft, from what I understand.

I won’t judge anyone who’s watched/read them though. Maybe they don’t see it this way. It’s just a personal conviction.

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@felicity

yeah! I agree. Age range is important, but that doesn’t mean every book has to be good for every age range. Sometimes reading a good book where you can relate to a difficult struggle of the MC can help you understand something you went through. Honestly, a good book can feel like therapy when you need it. Not that we should go to books instead of God or therapy. 😅

And yeah, everyone’s comfort zone is different.

I also think reading about darkness depends on each persons individual journey. I feel like we all have those “spots”, or things that effect us differently. Maybe we knew somebody who was sinful in a way towards ones we loved or ourselves, or we ourselves struggled with it. Everyone has a different way of dealing with it, and therefore everyone writes about their struggles differently.

I personally find that I like to put similar situations to the ones I have experienced, but make it how I wished it happened. That’s not to mean in my life it didn’t happen in a way it should have, God has a plan and he’ll use the unpleasantness of it how he wants. Character’s in my story tend to just have better means of handling hardship that I wish I had during that time. Having my characters comfort each other feels a bit like comforting younger me 🙂

Anyways, that was unnecessarily long winded. 😂

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
                    @felicity

@mineralizedwritings

Sometimes reading a good book where you can relate to a difficult struggle of the MC can help you understand something you went through.

Yes, very much so!

Honestly, a good book can feel like therapy when you need it. Not that we should go to books instead of God or therapy

Yeah. And no, but God can use good books to help us.

I personally find that I like to put similar situations to the ones I have experienced, but make it how I wished it happened. That’s not to mean in my life it didn’t happen in a way it should have, God has a plan and he’ll use the unpleasantness of it how he wants. Character’s in my story tend to just have better means of handling hardship that I wish I had during that time. Having my characters comfort each other feels a bit like comforting younger me 🙂

I see what you mean. Writing about a hard experience we’ve had can help us deal with it. I like that last sentence about your characters! That’s really sweet.

Oh and I don’t mind long-winded stuff. 😀

LoopyLin
                      @loopylin
                        • Total Posts: 2058

@godlyfantasy12 Love what you wrote!

@mineralizedwritings
                        Yes! Comfort zone is important. If something in a story disturbs you or goes against your conscience, even if it isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it’s actually wise to stop reading.

@everyone

I think everyone is kinda saying the same thing: Glorify God. Clearly show what is good and what is evil. Don’t glorify the darkness/sin/violence.

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Erica
                        @starofthenorth
                          • Total Posts: 199

@mineralizedwritings @koshka @godlyfantasy12 @loopylin @esther-c @felicity @lightoverdarkness6 @anyone else I forgot

I think the content of what you write really depends on your maturity level more than what’s right/wrong. Also the things that you as an individual are tempted by. And I think it’s a good principle to only write what you are comfortable reading (I mean, how can you write something you’re not comfortable reading 😂)

The Bible includes many dark, violent things. I mean, how did Judas Iscariot die? The Bible says . . . and I won’t repeat it here.

And always, if you have any doubt, pray about it! You can also ask an older, more mature Christian who you trust. (Parents are great!!)

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Erica
                          @starofthenorth
                            • Total Posts: 199

@everyone

I noticed you have been discussing Harry Potter. I haven’t read or watched it either. My dad read the first book or two, and his problem with it was that the kids were disobeying and then getting rewarded for it, not as much the magic. But I understand my family’s view are different from others. And that’s totally fine!

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Arien
                            @arien
                              • Total Posts: 193

@mineralizedwritings @koshka @godlyfantasy12 @loopylin @esther-c @felicity @lightoverdarkness6 @starofthenorth @anyone else

I agree with what you’ve been saying, so I’ll try not to be redundant . . . I would say, definitely don’t write explicit descriptions of the “real” magic in this world, the kind of demon-possession and occult witchcraft that actually can occur. I don’t think that could glorify God, even if it was meant to be a negative example. For example, in LOTR Tolkien hints that Sauron is a Necromancer, or someone who practices the occult. But it’s never shown or described, and Sauron is obviously the bad guy, not even a gray character. The light throughout LOTR is clear, the overall message is uplifting and inspiring. We’re not led to dwell on dark stuff, but God’s light (even if Tolkien didn’t say it was God, he was a Catholic and that is what he was pointing to. See The Silmarillion!) Personally I wouldn’t even go that far in my writing, but I can read it without being led astray. Perhaps if someone came from an occult background he/she wouldn’t be comfortable with it. It’s up to your conscience and the guidance of mature Christians such as parents or pastors. 😊

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
                              -Christopher Blakewell

Felicity
                              @felicity

@arien

Great way to put it.

Whaley
                                @whalekeeper
                                  • Total Posts: 2635

What with all the talk about magic, I feel like I have to put in my two cents.

It looks like we mostly fall into two categories – those who are fine with it, and those who aren’t.  But I’d like to point out our definition(s) of magic. I think there are two kinds of magic here, that we might be mixing up.

The first is real magic. Real magic is dark, evil, and clearly against God. We have examples of it in the Bible (the Egyptian magicians, Simon the sorcerer, I think it was, etc). It’s something not to be joked about, and could very well be dangerous to think about.

The second is fantasy magic. Stuff that is made up, for stories and poems. A what if. Chronicles of Narnia, LotR, and WFS all use this kind of magic.

Fantasy magic, I think, may have been based on real magic at first. But now it’s mostly harmless – even a wonderful device, when used correctly. As long as it’s not being glorified in evil, and is clearly only a story, there’s nothing wrong with it.

There’s also the subject of discernment, and how that governs what you do or do not read, but that’s for another day…

Well, that’s my opinion. That’s why I’m fine with reading fantasy. But it’s like that passage in the New Testament – one of Paul’s letters, or something? The one about eating unclean food. We needn’t fight those who follow the old rules, as long as they still believe in the important things. 😉

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >