What’s your biggest strength and weakness as a writer?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s your biggest strength and weakness as a writer?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What’s your biggest strength and weakness as a writer?

For me, probably my biggest weakness is staying consistent. I usually write a bunch all at once and then ghost my story for weeks until my schedule is a bit more relaxed or I have a sudden burst of motivation and disregard sleep almost entirely, haha.

So yeah, that’s something I’ve struggled with as soon as I started writing when I was seven.

My unorganized approach, has always frustrated as I feel like I’d be much further as a writer if I was simply just consistent. But it’s not unfixable, which gives me hope.

As for a strength, probably keeping my mind open and not pigeon-holing myself. Both in the stories I read and the stories I write.

I love reading, watching, and writing all different types of stories when it comes to genres, language, time period, plot, etc.

And I think it’s help me to be a lot more creative with my writing and not do the same old same old all the time. But instead to experiment, and do things that I’m not used to in my stories.

So yeah, I guess my strength would be always tying out new things and not ever writing the same story.

What about you? What is your biggest strength and weakness as a writer?

Kads
      @scripter-of-kingdoms
        • Total Posts: 765

@kathleenramm My biggest weakness is DEFINITELY staying consistent. I’m a pantser, and about 80% of my ideas happen as I’m writing. So when I don’t have ideas and am uninspired, I literally can’t write. And that makes writing VERY hard sometimes. *sighhh* I need to be better about just WRITING and not waiting for Miss Muse to come sit on my shoulder.

My biggest strength? Character development, in my opinion. I spend HOURS upon HOURS fleshing out my characters. Heck, my character profile has thirty-five categories, if I recall. I’m also a daydreamer and think about my charries all the time so that makes it easier for me XD

staring at the fields
        if nothing's really real
        i'll make the winter now my home

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm My biggest weakness is probably editing. Editing is the thing I’ve spent least time on. It always makes me feel like I’ve never edited enough lol.

Biggest strength? At this point, probably my prose. That’s the only thing I get consistently complimented on.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Anatra
          @anatra23
            • Total Posts: 211

@kathleenramm

Who told you to guilt me on editing?

But fr, my biggest weakness is my tense. Constantly changing from ‘actively doing something’ to ‘did it in the past’. Ugh, it’s such a pain to edit. But I think I’m getting better.

Strength would be creative ideas and plot, I think. That’s for sure the most fun for me too. Throwing together a random idea and artfully making something beautiful. I may be complimenting myself a little bit too much there, whoops.

RainyEmily
            @millennium
              • Total Posts: 59

My weakness is that it takes me a long time to become confident in a project I’m working on which leads to me having a hard time being consistent since I lose motivation. I’m learning to overcome it though.

My strength…I’d say I have a lot of originality. My imagination drags up some very unique ideas and I just want to write them all down. My most recent project in particular has been noted on a lot for being very unique. :p

A wolf is a wolf,
              even in a cage,
              even dressed in silk.

Golden Knight
              @golden-knight
                • Total Posts: 3

My weakness? Starting. My strength? Coming up with ideas once I’ve finally started.

I, too, struggle with pretty much every weakness listed so far (consistency, editing, confidence, using the right tense, etc).

I’m still discovering my strengths, but usually, once I start writing I can crank out a decent plot 🙂

Tasha Van Kesteren
                @melancholic-writer
                  • Total Posts: 15

Weaknesses? I could go on and on and on about those xD. I’ll try to pick my biggest.

I struggle with all of the weaknesses listed and my biggest weakness is probably just writing and not stopping because I think my writing is stupid.

Biggest strength? Hm. I think that would be my lack of outlining😂 I know some people think that’s the only way but I hate outlining and think that it would bound me to not going outside my written plan.

Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm
                    • Total Posts: 635

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Ugh, I could go on forever with characters too, haha.

Out of all the character you’ve created, do you have one you know the best?

@devastate-lasting

Yo, I’m not even surprised that people always compliment you on your pros. It’s one of a kind.

Was pros something that came naturally to you or did you have to work on it?

@anatra23

Haha, I love writers who are always so imaginative and creative with their writing. It makes their stories so fresh and exciting.

Do you have a story idea your particularly proud of?

@millennium

Now I’m curious lol. What’s the premise of your latest project?

@golden-knight

Yeah, getting started on a new project can be so hard. It’s like when I want to start a new story everything I’ve learned about writing slips from my head and I have no idea where to start, haha.

Do you have a favorite story idea you’ve come up with?

@melancholic-writer

I find the best outlines are the ones you can pants within, haha.

How much do you know about your story before going to write it?

Tasha Van Kesteren
                    @melancholic-writer
                      • Total Posts: 15

@kathleenramm

I usually have my story at least almost figured out but I don’t write an outline because then I feel stuck to that and my story changes in my mind a million times while I’m writing it (usually for the better.)

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting
                        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I pretty much just practiced writing for a while, then I took a couple of courses on style and things, and then I just wrote a ton until sometime last year when I felt like my style is more like what it is now. And it’s still developing, though right now I’m finally finding it satisfactory.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                        Would you mind letting me know
                        If hours don't turn into days

Anatra
                        @anatra23
                          • Total Posts: 211

@kathleenramm

Story I’m particular proud of? My WIP for sure. Ig it’s cuz I’ve spent years hammering out fuzzy details, and mostly having fun with the plot.

@melancholic-writer

This is the best form of outline XD I depend heavily on inconsistency. (in the best way)

RainyEmily
                          @millennium
                            • Total Posts: 59

@kathleenramm

The plot itself is still being developed but this should give you an idea of the story concept:

Your name is special. It is who you are, giving you identity and individuality. It also has a meaning. It was often said that children live up to the meaning of their name. But what if it went beyond that? What if your name was the source of a power, deep within you?

Lupa: name meaning ‘she-wolf’, with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf.

Azreil: name meaning ‘shadowsinger’, with the ability to bend shadows and absorb them to generate the healing of wounds.

Tara: name meaning ‘star’, one of the few that can read the prophecies in the night sky.

Kronos: the god of time, with the ability to warp the fabric of time.

Ophir: When everything you touch turns to gold…

gold…

gold…

gold… 

A wolf is a wolf,
                            even in a cage,
                            even dressed in silk.

Kads
                            @scripter-of-kingdoms
                              • Total Posts: 765

@kathleenramm Hmmm… Bren, Marge, & Ripley are the ones I know the best. Those guys are my oldest characters/the ones I’ve had around for the longest, so I know them better than I do my other ones (lol sorry guys). My friend and I like to joke a lot about what Bren or Marge might say and do. I definitely know them better than my other characters.

staring at the fields
                              if nothing's really real
                              i'll make the winter now my home

Koshka
                              @koshka
                                • Total Posts: 1424

If it isn’t too late for input…

My greatest weakness is just getting my stories written. My characters and worlds are real in my head, but putting them in words is difficult. I have almost two chapters for a book I’ve been working on for going on three years.

Strength? I guess my plots. They used to be my worst nightmare, but I actually like working on them now. I still can’t write them down though.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elanor
                                @elanor
                                  • Total Posts: 184

@kathleenramm

For me my biggest weakness would be that I’m terrible at getting what I’m seeing in my head into words. I’ve had the same book I’ve been trying to work on for 3-4 years and only have 3 or 4 chapters on it (a chapter a year. Lol). @koshka I can totally relate to you.

I’d say my strength would be world building. I almost have a book of the history of all the peoples, the descriptions of all my fantasy creatures, and the maps I’ve made to go behind my unwritten book.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Elanor. Reason: Misspelled @

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >