What’s a Genre or form of writing you used to dislike, but now enjoy?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s a Genre or form of writing you used to dislike, but now enjoy?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kads
    @scripter-of-kingdoms
      • Total Posts: 765

@kathleenramm Mhm, exactly. I agree 100% with that. When it comes to expressing emotions, poetry is FAR superior to ordinary writing, imo. So much better because you don’t necessarily have to follow any particular format like you do a sentence.

LOL, that’s funny. XDDD People change as time goes by! I think poetry’s kinda just one of those things you grow into liking… like spicy food and coffee and other things, haha. I used to think poetry was dumb and useless too. But now I love it!

Yeah, that’s so true!! People who say they hate stuff–well, have they actually tried/done/experienced the thing they say you hate? I think people hate the idea of something more than the actual thing itself. I definitely agree.

Hmm, well, what probably changed my opinion about poetry was when I began to write it. My mom made me write some for school this last year, and because I was forced to do it, I disliked it a lot. But one night rather recently, maybe last month, I was like, “okay, there are feelings and thoughts and things in my head and they need to get out”. So I decided to write a poem about it.

After that, I began writing poetry more and more. I write poetry about every day now, and I honestly don’t know if I’d be in a good place mentally if I don’t continue to write this stuff down. Anything and everything around me inspires poems. A lot of my poetry deals with heavy/world issues stuff, but then again, a lot of it also talks about the sky, sunsets, and nature. I’ve written poems about dreams I’ve had, and I’ve written poems about my characters. It’s just such a good outlet for me to express all of my thoughts and feelings. I really love it now. And all of my poetry so far is freestyle. I really don’t like rhymes and a certain format that has to be followed, it feels constricting to me. Some of my shortest poems are just 12 words long, and then there are some that are almost 250. I love having variety in my poems.

Haha, sorry, I just ranted. XD Forgive me.

(Edit: speaking of my poetry, my current tagline rn is a stanza from a poem I wrote last week, titled Acoustic night. Just wanted to share!)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Kads.

staring at the fields
      if nothing's really real
      i'll make the winter now my home

Elfwing
      @elfwing
        • Total Posts: 486

@kathleenramm

Sorry I’m late in replying! Been very busy lol

Romance was and er, still is a least favorite.  Don’t think me morbid when I admit a well done death scene means more than any romance.

But I’ve softened and now I don’t mind romantic reading or writing

And I totally get what you mean about poetry!  Whoever wrote the poems in schoolbooks had his head screwed on wrong. I still find it confusing 😆

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j
          • Total Posts: 1789

@kathleenramm Actually, The Grace Johnson is an alien who took over the body of a fantasy-loving, mystery-craving, apocalyptic-fiction-fanatic ten-year-old girl.

*clears throat*

Seriously, though? I never didn’t like historical fiction…I just didn’t read much of it. Fantasy, mystery, and end times were always my go-to. It wasn’t until I saw The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson in a Christian Book Distributer’s catalog when I was ten or eleven-ish and thought it looked interesting…I read a library copy and then devoured the rest of Dickerson’s books before I kept trying more and more historical romance. I realized his-fic could be just as unique and engaging as fantasy! The rest, as they say, is history. Literally. XD

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Ribbonash
          @ribbonash
            • Total Posts: 97

@anatra23 @jodi-maile

Present tense first person is definitely special, haha. I 100% get it why a bunch of people would dislike it. But it can work really well in the story it’s in cause I don’t even notice it anymore once I’m past the first page now.

Also I am the only one here who disliked Percy Jackson? *hides*

Anatra
            @anatra23
              • Total Posts: 211

@ribbonash

did you say… Percy Jackson?

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS

I love Percy Jackson. So, you’ve read the first series, yes, but have you read HoO? Or KC? Or MC? And, dare I ask, have you read *shutters* Trials of Apollo?

Heroes of Olympus and PJO have to be my favorites out of the whole thing. Despite the flaws, and the infamous Gary Sue known as Jason Grace, It’s gotta be on my top ten list. Maybe top five.

Libby
              @libby
                • Total Posts: 59

I used to hate sci-fi… and now the novel I’m most passionate about is time-travel/sci-fi.  I honestly can’t say what changed \’_’/

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Ribbonash
                @ribbonash

@anatra23

I have only ever read the first book in Percy Jackson series and that’s it. I know that’s probably not a good judge for the whole series, I just really don’t care for the Greek mythology at all, which is the whole point of the series, right? Exploring Greek Mythology in the modern times and all that? I’m sorry. I feel bad for not liking it when so many people are touched by it. *hides again*

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Ribbonash.
                  Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm
                    • Total Posts: 635

@devastate-lasting

I’ll definitely will be checking those out!

@ribbonash

That’s so interesting! 1st person POV has always been my favorite and still is, haha. What books changed your mind on first person POV?

@anatra23

Yeah, I had the exact same experience with books I had to read that were part of a school curriculum. Still to this day they are some of my least favorite books I’ve ever read.

What books made you start liking more genres?

Kathleen
                    @kathleenramm
                      • Total Posts: 635

@jodi-maile

Percy Jackson was actually the book that got me into reading!

And I’m with you on the History subject. For me I think it really depends on the history book and whether or not they focus more on the people or on dates and basic events. When I started reading history that focused more on the actual people and their lives I started liking history so much more.

@libby

Yeah, sometimes when you get older your perspective on things just change and it’s hard to pinpoint why.

But the sci-fi/ time travel book your writing sounds cool. What’s the premise?

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting
                        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Yess they are extremely, extremely good.

@libby
                        Ah, recently I’ve started to appreciate sci-fi more as well! Kinda want to start writing a sci-fi story in the future…any tips?

Lately, it's been on my brain
                        Would you mind letting me know
                        If hours don't turn into days

Anatra
                        @anatra23

OK. Let me tRy thIS AGaiN(I keep making same mistake and deleting my message, this is attempt number 3…4…?)

@ribbonash

Lol, that’s fine. I only started liking Percy Jackson around the third or fifth book. I think I really enjoyed it because it was me, a little sheltered homeschooler, reading a book I chose to for myself.

@kathleenramm

So I stared liking other types of books when I was browsing at my library and found The Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London, (historical fiction) started reading those and ended up loving them. Then I found the Rangers Apprentice(fantasy/history(medieval) fiction) and loved them even more. Rangers Apprentice is still one of my favorite book series to this day. I also at that time began to enjoy biographies and autobiographies now because of the missionaries and authors with exiting lives.

Do you have a favorite poet? Who are some of your favorites? I really some of enjoy Edgar Guest’s works. Even though they rhyme, lol.

Ribbonash
                          @ribbonash

@kathleenramm

I loved first person POV, just it being in present tense bothered me for quite a while. I can’t remember which books I read that were present tense or past tense first person POV. XD I know that Hunger Games was one of them. And maybe Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer? And Summer Blue Bird by Akemi Bird Blue? Oh, also 100 days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons and How We Rise by Brooke Riley. Those ones really sold me on how amazing present tense first person is. OH, also Ignite by Jenna Terese! *just realised I read three present tense first person books in a row* Anyway, I feel like I may have read more but those are the only ones I remember.

@anatra23

Hmmm, I think I should try the second book just to make sure I don’t like it…

Anatra
                            @anatra23

@ribbonash

would not be opposed…

(Lol)

Libby
                              @libby
                                • Total Posts: 59

Sorry I’ve been so terrible at being on the forum!

@kathleenramm
                                The premise of my story is a little shaky right now, but it’s about a boy who gets thrown back in time (from the future to now) and who has to find his way home (at the most basic level).

@devastate-lasting
                                I wish I had tips to give you… I’m just a baby sci-fi writer myself.  But something that’s helped me is to read a lot in the sci-fi genre.  And to not stress over getting all the science right, since it’s fiction.  But also to put enough work into the sci-fi aspect to make it seem fleshed out enough for the believability.  But yeah, I’m afraid there’s not much I can give you besides that 🙂

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >