What’s a Genre or form of writing you used to dislike, but now enjoy?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s a Genre or form of writing you used to dislike, but now enjoy?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What’s a Genre or form of writing you used to dislike, but now enjoy?

When I was younger, I really disliked poetry. I just didn’t get it. But I think the reason was because I only read cheap meaningless poetry from books in my school curriculum.

Stuff like, Dan eats pickles because they taste better than icicles.

idk something like that.

Poetry that the soul purpose was for the rhyme and rhyme only. So when I found out there was a type poetry that didn’t rhyme, I was all the more confused.

But since the past couple years, that has completely changed. And I think the main factor was one, really well written and meaningful lyrics in certain songs I loved, and reading actually GOOD poetry.

One type of poetry I love is poetry that has so many different interpretations all depending on the angle you look at it, what kind of person you are, and even what stage of life your at.

But on the opposite end, I also really like poetry with a clear message full of emotion and hits you hard without too much thought.

I’m still new to poetry and all, so if you have any favorite poets are poems I’d love to hear them!

Okay enough about poetry haha.

What’s a form of writing or genre of writing that you used to dislike, but now like?

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I used to not like classics, I think. Because thick and big and full of words and language I wasn’t used to and boring..haha.. I guess kids can’t appreciate old books. Because now I only read classics.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Kads
        @scripter-of-kingdoms
          • Total Posts: 765

@kathleenramm I used to also HATE poetry. I hated reading it, LOATHED writing it, you couldn’t find me dead having to do with poetry.

Well, now, here I am, and I write poetry nearly every day now. I have a rapidly expanding doc on my computer just filled with my poetry. I only write it on there because I don’t want to run the risk of writing it on paper, leaving it lying around, and having someone come find it XD I’m really tentative about sharing my poems with others. My poetry tends to lean towards the heavier side, ngl… I deal with a lot of emotions in my poems. And I NEVER intentionally rhyme in my poetry. I hate rhyming. I highly prefer freestyle; thus, the stuff my mom has before made me do for school was usually written somewhat bitterly XD but I find poetry such a beautiful form of self-expression. To me, it captures feelings and emotions in words. I don’t know if I’d be okay if I hadn’t started writing poetry when I did.

staring at the fields
          if nothing's really real
          i'll make the winter now my home

ella
          @nova21
            • Total Posts: 604

@kathleenramm

Before I answer this question, I need @gracie-j to promise she won’t banish me to the far ends of the Kingdom…. I take that as a yes…??? XD  I used to hate hate hate historical fiction because it didn’t have as much freedom as fantasy, which i was obsessed with.  I thought it was too restrictive and just not that interesting.

HOWEVER.  Now, I am a big ‘ol fan of it and I’ll never again stray down the path of sadness and missing out on amazing literature. *smiles cheekily at everyone in hopes I’m forgiven* Some of my favorite books are actually his-fic: Pride and Prejudice (duh), Chains by Laurie Halse Andersen, Of Mice and Men…

So ya, it’s a great genre, but I still don’t have the guts to start writing it cause I feel like I’ll mess everything up XDD

what we do in life echoes in eternity
            -gladiator, 2000

Gracie J.
            @gracie-j
              • Total Posts: 1789

@nova21 I promise.

Fun fact…

I was the same way.

But, you know, Mr. Darcy always wins out in the end, sooo… Here I am now. 😉

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Jodi Maile
              @jodi-maile
                • Total Posts: 138

@kathleenramm

I used to dislike reading anything set in the modern world and/or historical settings if it didn’t have some magical element in it (so, I totally understand the old not-liking-historical-fiction thing, @nova21!) Now, I love historical fictional as well as contemporary legal thrillers and a few other genres set in the real world 🙂

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting

@nova21 Of Mice and Men…. ;-;

Though, I have a question. If a book is written in the past concerning the author’s current time period, then it isn’t his-fic, I believe. However, if it is written before the author’s time period, like The Scarlet Letter and A Tale of Two Cities, then it is considered his-fic. So…my question is are the book you mentioned actually his-fic or simply classics?

ella
                  @nova21
                    • Total Posts: 604

@devastate-lasting

You are a brilliant person, Lin XD (And OMAM is SOOOOO SAD)

Uummm, ya that makes sense.  (Although they are historical and fiction but that’s besides the point, I know what you mean lol)  Let’s see, yeah Chains is prolly my actual favorite, and the Girl in the Blue Coat is good too.  Jennifer A. Nielsen’s his-fic books are great.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by ella.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                    -gladiator, 2000

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting

@nova21 (The shock factor made me cry haha…though I would have to argue that GWTW is sadder, even though it’s a more gradual process. But I love Steinbeck. Want to read more of him.)

Oh, those titles sound interesting! Will have to check out…at some point…

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm

@devastate-lasting

I was the exact same with classics. I used to think that the only reason why people liked them was because they were labeled “a classic” so that somehow justified the dull writing.

But now, a lot of modern books that I’ve recently read felt so shallow, empty, and boring. And the classical books I used to roll my eyes at I now thoroughly enjoy.

Well how the turn tables lol.

Do you have any favorite classics?

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Yeah, poetry can be like a diary in a way. Although it may not be as blunt as a diary, it better conveys the emotion and thought process of what the author is feeling. Something that normal everyday sentences can’t do very well.

It’s kinda funny, my brother who is around the same age as me also used to hate poetry. But then when I told him that I recently changed my mind on poetry, he told me that he too now really likes poetry and even keeps a google doc filled with his favorite poems. I was so shocked because we used to have full conversation about how dumb poetry was haha.

It’s so interesting how one’s feelings for something can change so drastically. I think that shows how a lot of times when people hate something, they are really just ignorant about it. And have only seen one side to a many sided thing, person, or situation. You could love or hate almost anything if you only saw one particular side of it.

Was there something particular that changed your mind about poetry?

Kathleen
                        @kathleenramm

@nova21

Ooo, you just remined me to read Of Mice and Men. I’ve heard lots of good things about it.

What’s your favorite thing about Of Mice and Men?

@gracie-j

WHAT. The Grace Johnson at some point of her life did not like Historical Fiction?!?!?!

My whole life is a lie. *cries into handkerchief*

But seriously, what made you start liking historical fiction?

@jodi-maile

It’s interesting how many people used to not like historical fiction. Was there a particular book(s) that changed your mind on books set in the modern world and historical settings?

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting

@kathleenramm Yes, tons! All my faves at this point are classics, haha. Probably East of Eden by Steinbeck and The Brothers Karamazov most though.

Ribbonash
                            @ribbonash
                              • Total Posts: 97

@kathleenramm

This is a small thing, but I use to hate present tense first person. It really bothered me and it was hard to read for a while. But after reading it several times, plus enjoying most of the stories with this, it grew on me. Now I quite like it. Not my favourite type for POV, but I could see myself writing in that style one day…

Anatra
                              @anatra23
                                • Total Posts: 211

@kathleenramm

I was so particular about the things I read. I would only ever read fantasy, comic books, and I loved little stories like Aesop’s Fables. But it was only until I was like, twelve when I gave other books a chance.

I strongly disliked historical fiction, poetry, classics(with the exception of Laura Ingalls Wilder), especially mystery(I’ve changed, I promise don’t hurt me), romance, sci-fi, suspense, biographies, autobiographies, and almost any other genre that you offered me. Mostly, I think it was due to being given them to read for school…

@ribbonash

I was like, the exact same way when I was younger. But then I was pressured to read Percy Jackson by some friends, and that kinda tipped the scales for me, lol. *sighs* Percy Jackson was so good.

Jodi Maile
                                @jodi-maile
                                  • Total Posts: 138

@kathleenramm

I think Percy Jackson, as well as some modern setting/historical fiction books by James Scott Bell, really helped tip the scales for my appreciation of books set in those time periods. I also started taking history classes at my college, because I thought learning about history would give me more ideas for stories. Because of that motivation to learn about history, I started liking the idea of historical fiction even more, since it helped me to see that history isn’t boring–it’s about real people who lived through the extraordinary history of our world.

@ribbonash
                                  I used to really dislike first person present tense as well! Pretty much anything with present tense I disliked, actually…but it’s grown on me. I almost never write in that style because it’s still not my favorite, but I’m okay with it now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >