Warbreaker (Now in the correct section)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Warbreaker (Now in the correct section)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Cloaked Mystery
    @jonas
      • Total Posts: 2624

@highscribeofaetherium

@thearcaneaxiom

@other Brandon Sanderson fans

I just finished reading Warbreaker. It was a rather different experience than I’m used to with Sanderson, because I’ve previously read only Mistborn Era 1 and Stormlight Archive, so as a standalone novel, it different from what I’m used to. I would say that it is my least favorite of the three, but that’s just because Mistborn and Stormlight are really good. Going into it, I knew it had been written as a prequel to Stormlight, but it actually had a lot less information than I expected, even though I also knew that Sanderson is planning to possibly write a sequel that bridges the gap between Warbreaker and TWoK.

I don’t really have any interesting thoughts about it. It was good. What I expect from a Sanderson book, but nothing special.

For anyone who hasn’t read it, I would not recommend it as an introduction to the Cosmere. It’s much more standalone than the other series I’ve read, and it doesn’t really get into any sort of broader context. It barely gives any insight into the planet it takes place on, let alone the larger universe. It is also definitely the most mature of the Sanderson books I’ve read.

So. Has anyone else read it? If so, what did you think of it?

🏰 Fantasy Writer
      ✨ Magic System Creator
      🎭 Character RPer
      📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
      @thearcaneaxiom
        • Total Posts: 1250

@jonas

Funnily enough, I didn’t even know it was on Roshar😅 Warbreaker is on my to do, but I have learned anything about it yet.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

HighScribe
        @highscribeofaetherium
          • Total Posts: 2215

@thearcaneaxiom

Warbreaker takes place on Nalthis, but Stormlight has a few crossover characters from it.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

It’s not on Roshar. There’s a world hopper you met in Stormlight whose backstory is in WB. Two actually.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
            @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

Three.

TheArcaneAxiom
              @thearcaneaxiom

@highscribeofaetherium @jonas

Cool! Thanks for explaining. I know you were speaking down on it a bit, but I’m honestly feeling more excited for it now. We’ll have to see though. I have read some of Sanderson’s darker writing before, like WaW 2, as well as some short stories, so I’m not sure how that compares with War breaker, so I’ll be excited to give my thoughts when I can!

Do you plan on reading any of the secret projects by the way?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
                @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

I would recommend reading it before RoW. (I didn’t, but I already knew about the crossover content.) an important item in SA has its origin in WB

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                  ✨ Magic System Creator
                  🎭 Character RPer
                  📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Good to know!

Cloaked Mystery
                    @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

It’s not mature as in dark or violent. It’s probably the least dark and violent out of Mistborn, SA, and WB. It’s mature in other ways.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                      ✨ Magic System Creator
                      🎭 Character RPer
                      📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                      @jonas

I will probably read some secret projects eventually, but not until I read WaW and Elantris.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                        ✨ Magic System Creator
                        🎭 Character RPer
                        📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
                        @highscribeofaetherium

@thearcaneaxiom

I’ll probably want to read them eventually.

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

It’s mature in other ways.

Ahh, I see. That I did hear about before. Sanderson will write suggestive material when he wants to.

@jonas
                            @highscribeofaetherium

Yeah, I have Yumi, but I want to finish Oathbringer first. Tress and Frugal were both a blast however. They take on a far less serious tone, being more whimsical, but in a way that is still Sanderson. Hoid is a major character in Tress, and from what I’ve heard, he’s equally so in Yumi, so I recommend them all when you can get your hands on them.

Cloaked Mystery
                            @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

I probably won’t get to Tress or Yumi at least until I read Elantris. Sanderson considers Elantris, Mistborn, and Stormlight the pillars of the Cosmere, so I want to get to all those. (Frugal isn’t high on my list, because it’s non-Cosmere and I would rather read those.) I believe there are also two other short Cosmere novels. One is the Emperor’s Soul, which takes place on the same planet as Elantris from my understanding, and one that takes place on a planet called Threnody. Have you read either of those? And if so, do you recommend them?

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                              ✨ Magic System Creator
                              🎭 Character RPer
                              📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
                              @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

The one on Threnody is called Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, and I’ve heard it’s like a horror novel 😬

Theres also one that takes place on the planet The First of the Sun, which has the Aviars, but idk what it’s called.

HighScribe
                                @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

Oh yeah, it’s called Sixth of the Dusk.

Also, secret project 4 has a blurb now. Here it is:

#1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson shows us a future in the Cosmere universe where a perpetual planetary wanderer must decide whether to keep running, or stay and make a difference on a struggling planet. Years ago he had comrades in arms and a cause to believe in, but now the man who calls himself Nomad knows only a life on the run. Forced to hop from world to world in the Cosmere whenever the relentless Night Brigade gets too close, Nomad lands on a new planet and is instantly caught up in the struggle between a tyrant and the rebels who want only to escape being turned into mindless slaves-all under the constant threat of a sunrise whose heat will melt the very stones. Unable to understand the language, can he navigate the conflict and gain enough power to leap offworld before his mind or body pay the ultimate price?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >