TOPIC OF THE WEEK – Who is the best villain in any book/movie of all time?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE TOPIC OF THE WEEK – Who is the best villain in any book/movie of all time?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Black
    @michelle
      • Total Posts: 87

@leon-fleming Really?!! Me too!! Which is your favorite fairy tale you have read?

What Ariel is the villain?!! I love Ariel, she is my fav Disney princess and always will be. but I like to look at her character from and adult’s and writer’s point of view, and a bit of humor. Ariel is not the greatest role model or little girls, lets face it. It’s the story of a fangirl who happens to be a mermaid, and falls in love with the first human man she sees (heck she even has a huge action figure of him that she obsesses and swoons over, that’s a little creepy lol) trades her ability to speak for some legs, and ultimately comes out on top with no consequences and learns nothing. I like the original version. She is named Pearl and she falls in love with the prince then saves him from drowning, then he thinks its another girl who saved him. Pearl then goes to a sea witch who gives her legs, then it is the prince who finds her and nurses her back to health, they strike up a friendship, then he tells Pearl that he is going to marry the other girl. Pearl has to attend their wedding and is heartbroken. Her sisters come to her and say that if she kills the prince (before the sun rises) with a knife in his heart and lets his blood run on her feet she will become a mermaid again, but she cannot do it, she loves him to much. So instead of turning into sea foam she becomes a spirit of the air, because she loved so much . So yeah I like that she didn’t get the guy, but it had a powerful message about true love. *drinks full glass of water* You probably already known the true story because of your fairy tale knowledge lol. I love going off the rails XD

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah
        • Total Posts: 245

@kathleenramm  @everyoneinthistopicthatimlatefor

Ah, yes, Sauron! And Professor Moriarty. And Chavelin from The Scarlet Pimpernel, if anyone’s seen or read that. (Absolutely amazing! XD)

Prendre garde ~ I bleed ink

Selah CJW
        @selah-chelyah

@kathleenramm

Awesome topic idea, btw!

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
          @william-starkey
            • Total Posts: 634

@michelle Ohhhh, I really don’t know; way too many fairy tales borrow off each other way too many times. It’s the ones that are more original that I tend to like more. Though I do like the other ones, too.

XD Hey, well you never know! She might have been! XD Or not.

Yes, I have read the fairy tale version; I liked it much better than the animated Disney movie. I haven’t watched (as my little brother says) the “live-action” The Little Mermaid, and to be honest, I don’t have a lot of interest in it. But I really like reading through books and books of old, ancient, time-bent fairy tales! I’m reading through the collections of Andrew Lang right now. Have you heard of him?

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm
              • Total Posts: 635

@selah-chelyah

The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of the books on my “to read” list!

Is there a specific thing that you like in a villain/antagonist most that makes them your favorite?

Kathleen
              @kathleenramm

@michelle

I never hear the original version of The Little Mermaid! It’s so much more interesting and has much better message than the Disney version.

Though I get why Disney changed it. As much as I love stories where the main character sacrifices their life for someone or something they love, unfortunately I don’t think a Disney Princess movie will be doing it anytime soon if ever!XD

What other fairy tale stories do you like?

Michelle Black
                @michelle

@leon-fleming *sips coffee* Right on!!! 🙂

Don’t even get me started on the live-action Disney remakes LOL

Arent ancient tales great? 🙂 (I love chatting with fellow fairy tale loves)

Yes, I have heard of Andrew Lang, I have been meaning to read his stuff for a while. How did you get into him?

Michelle Black
                  @michelle

@kathleenramm Yes, it really is! it is sad but beautiful. You should read it:)

I mean Disney princess movies have good songs and all that, but they kinda push the falling in love thing too hard XD “Fantasise about that fairy tale wedding 5-year-olds” they get those priorities in line early lol

Ooh man, I have lots, but I really like The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was, and one I love is Briar Rose AKA Sleeping Beauty!!!!! I don’t know why I love Beauty so much, but it is what it is XD

What about you, what fairy tale stories do you like?

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
                    @william-starkey
                      • Total Posts: 634

@michelle *squints down at the bottom of empty mug* XD You don’t like the remakes?

YES! They are, definitely! (Same basically; I love talking writing in general. XD)

Tolkien; J.R.R. Tolkien. That’d be about right. You see, I did a whole bunch of research on him, and found out (through a various list of sources) that as a child, he loved reading Andrew Lang’s Red Fairy Book and Blue Fairy Book. I didn’t immediately get into them, but my library has a bunch, so I’m reading through them now. The only thing is…I’VE LOOKED AROUND EVERYWHERE FOR THE RED FAIRY BOOK, but…I. CAN’T. FIND. IT.

Michelle Black
                      @michelle

@leon-fleming *fills up your empty coffee cup* Well, I mean it seems that Disney is not really coming up with new stories, they are just pulling out old ones, like they are running out of ideas. That’s fine that they want to do it but there is a thin line when it come to remakes, you can take some liberties when you do it, however , you don’t want to stray too far from the original because they cater to a nostalgia Hungry market (you do not want to get in the way of nostalgia)so far what I have seen is that they put a lot of new stuff in them that the old version gets lost. Like if you say snow white, people instantly think of the disney version even though it is based on a grimm fairy tale, but the fairy tale was so loosely written, that disney could take as many liberties as they wanted. and since it was a major stepping stone for not only disney but for animation as a whole, they rightly deserve the respect and honor it gets. Fun fact disney was suffering for a good long while, they suffered from identity crisis and almost shut down, but One little red haired mermaid saved them. As for all the other disney movies back in the late 80’s and early 90’s, that was known as the disney renaissance, a lot of the classic songs and movies we know are from then, and they have been a God of the industry ever since… Until Dreamworks in the mid 90’s. *jumps of box after giving history lesson* look at me taking your ear off XD So yeah when I hear about a live action remake I get a little scared, but I am really hoping to see a really loyal and good remake *looks to the heaves and smiles* I have faith

Selah CJW
                        @selah-chelyah

@kathleenramm

Story and character arcs in general, really. Chauvelin is such a malevolent, evil guy, but seems so sacrificial and kind on the surface. And he’s definitely gone down the wrong road, to get there. But he’s believable, realistic in the era and story, etc, which is rare for me and super awesome! That’s neat that you want to read it- I highly recommend all of Baroness Orczy’s books, esp that one. 🙂

@michelle

I get ya on the remakes, though I do like some of them, just ’cause the actors and general quality. XD

Michelle Black
                          @michelle

@selah-chelyah  Yes, actors can help movies a lot:)

Selah CJW
                            @selah-chelyah

@michelle

Yeah, rather. XD

Kathleen
                              @kathleenramm

@michelle

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll definitely be checking them out.

I haven’t actually read any of the original fairy tale stories before, but my favorite Disney fairy tale would probably be Beauty and the Beast.

Not only is it a lot more interesting story wise to a lot of other Disney Princess movies, but the message is a lot better as well.

Oh, and another fairy tale I liked when I was little was The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I think I liked it because of the combination of Princesses, sisters, dancing, and a secret magical world. Which is all things I loved when I was little. XD

@selah-chelyah

Yes! I really like villains with a character arcs and that are not 100% bad. It makes them and the story much more interesting.

Do you have a favorite of Baroness Orczy’s books?

Michelle Black
                                @michelle

@kathleenramm Yes!!! Beauty and the beast has a very strong message FUN FACT FOR YOU!! (because I can XD) in the original story, the prince wasn’t turned into a beast by an enchantress because he was selfish and cold-hearted and turned down a kind old lady. In the original the prince is innocent. An old ugly witch wanted to marry him, and he refused because, well she is a wicked witch, and also he doesn’t love her. So she cursed him to become a hideous Beast, sort of a, if I can’t have you nobody can thing. He was also a wild boar. Amazing he never fell prey to a hunter LOL

I also love the Twelve Dancing Princess:)

Oh, and I wanted to ask you what is your favorite book and movie?

*laughs so hard I have to hold my side* look at me I am taking over this topic with original fairytales when it’s supposed to be about villains lol*gives puppy eyes* Sorry:)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >