They all said to start here…

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE They all said to start here…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Gwyndalf the Wise
    @gwyndalf-the-wise
      • Total Posts: 404

@soleilnaia

Hi! *waves*

I also love rainy days. Except when they knock the power out. Then I don’t like them as much. XD

I’m older than some, and younger than others. *grins mysteriously cause I’m not gonna tell you my age*
      XD I have hope for dystopias cause of you guys, honestly. Most of the dystopias I’ve read are really depressing, and a lot of them are hopeless cause God’s not part of the picture or because they’re a warning as to what could happen if we’re not careful to protect out liberty. And while I understand the use for that…I’d hope that there can be hopeful dystopias?

As Esther mentioned, I write fantasy. Well…XD I write a lot of things. Currently my WIP is a cross between fantasy and tea cozy mystery series. Besides that, have ideas for a spy story that may or may not be a sci-fi as well, a fairytale retelling of The Six Soldiers of Fortune’, a middle grade mystery series called The Adventures of Agent Noodle that would be full of all the dad jokes I can come up with XD, and at some point I wanna do a story in a steampunk setting.

Writing is a coping method for me too, it’s how I end up processing things other than just thinking and obsessing over them. 😅 I actually didn’t know I did this until last year, when I realized I couldn’t think of answers to my protagonists’ problems at the time because they were my problems in disguise… *shakes head at self*
      Aaaaand I just realized you were talking about journaling and not stories…Whoops. XD I’ve never managed to journal consistently. I’ll make an entry like…three days out of every five years…XD

Aaaand now for questions: (feel free to ask me some if you want, it’s only fair XD)

#1. Southern California doesn’t have green grass? definitely not asking cause I was under the impression that states outside of Alaska, Texas, and Nevada had beautiful green grass

#2. What are some of your favorite books?

#3. You say you’re going to try fantasy, what’s your idea for that story? *curiosity strikes again*

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
      (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Felicity
      @felicity
        • Total Posts: 811

@soleilnaia

Thank you! Very much appreciated.

Philippians is such a good book. I love how practical and uplifting it is.

*nod* Yes, lit and writing. I like that better than grammar too. Some people think that since I’m a writer I must love grammar but….nah. Not really. 😅

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 8156

@soleilnaia. Hi Naia!!! (Your name is beautiful, btw. 💖) I’ve seen you around KP…I’m finally getting around to formally introducing myself to all the new people. 😅 So, welcome!!!

I am FreedomWriter76 (or just Freedom) a homeschooled teen girl, Southerner, Writer, Music Fan, History Buff, and Marvel Nerd, but we won’t go there. 😉

Everyone has already asked you so many questions, so I will spare you more to answer. 😜😂

But anywho…welcome to KP, Naia! I can’t wait to talk to you some more, and God Bless!!! 🙏🏻💖

soleilnaia
          @soleilnaia
            • Total Posts: 32

@joy-calle I’m attempting to quote you here so if I do it wrong…oops.

[quote quote=131793]

That missionary sounds terrific. XD Is he a fire-and-brimstone Jonathan Edwards type? Or a gentle and serious David Brainerd type who people just don’t like?

[/quote]

He was a leaning towards fire-and-brimstone, yelling and spitting in your face kind of guy. Since it was a for one of my classes last quarter and had to be less than 750 words, I didn’t get to do much character development or anything. Mostly I was like, “You know what? I want somebody to wack somebody with a Bible…” and then went from there. I’m sure I’ve said this before, but I’m not super experienced in the story side of writing and this story is probably the first story I’ve written that had a legitimate plot, so I’m not sure if that story will ever see the light of day. But dude, it was fun to write XD

soleilnaia
            @soleilnaia

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Hello hello, my ageless buddy! I like your enthusiasm for your writing projects: you’re positively dripping with smiley vibes!

And lol, yeah, I was talking about journaling. Sort of. When I said I write to cope, I mostly meant that there’s paper on me somewhere and a pen in my pocket, and when I have *things* in my head I write them down. It’s more like throwing a handful of word magnets at a wall than anything else. I often feel better as a result, though I don’t think it’s the words themselves so much as it is the fact that writing is half a prayer. I think that’s what makes me feel better, that’s what makes it work.

As for your questions…

#1. Southern California doesn’t have green grass? — I suppose it is somewhere, but it doesn’t seem to be a naturally recurring phenomenon (watered lawns, for the most part, are green). I don’t see it much besides the 2.5 weeks out of the year that it rains. It could be that I’m in the Inland Empire, though. Maybe there are other places in SoCal that rain.

#2. What are some of your favorite books? — The first that comes to mind is The Book Thief because I just finished reading it and I still love it. I also like Little Women (it was my cosy book all throughout high school). The both of those books are like my comfort books. Of course, I love other stories, and I’m sure there will be more in the future that I’ll like even more, but at the moment, those are my home base. That, and the Bible, which is the home base for life.

#3. You say you’re going to try fantasy, what’s your idea for that story? — At the moment, I don’t have any solid ideas for any stories because COLLEGE+TUTORING+JOB+RANDOM THINGS THAT ARE IMPORTANT APPARENTLY. Right now, writing is something I almost have to put on the back-burner in pursuit of other dreams. That’s not to say it isn’t important, just that I cannot hold all-the-things. God and I have been chatting about this recently, and basically…I’m trusting God that stories will come when they come. And in the meantime, I’m just putting words on paper (whether they lead anywhere or not). In short, I have no full-fledged story ideas (and only the embryos of plot bunnies). I can share nothing. 😬 Sorry to disappoint your curiosities lol.

soleilnaia
              @soleilnaia

@felicity

[quote quote=131841]Thank you! Very much appreciated. Philippians is such a good book. I love how practical and uplifting it is. *nod* Yes, lit and writing. I like that better than grammar too. Some people think that since I’m a writer I must love grammar but….nah. Not really. 😅[/quote]

Yeah I get you. I’ve got a healthy appreciation for grammar and I like it when people consider grammar when they write…but it’s difficult to make it interesting to teach. It would be awesome, though, to have a student come to me one day and say, “Your presentation on parts of speech was simply…groundbreaking!” But that’s highly unlikely.

soleilnaia
                @soleilnaia

@freedomwriter76

Hello hello! Thanks for the introduction 😀 Lovely to meet you, too. I hope to chat with you soon!

History…world or U.S. or Europe or…all of it? I like history, too.

Felicity
                  @felicity
                    • Total Posts: 811

@soleilnaia

Who knows? I bet that’ll happen someday. 🙂

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 110

@soleilnaia

That sounds amazing.

I personally don’t really like writing short stories, because of exactly what you said – it’s tough to create great character development in such a short amount of time. I only like short stories if they’re part of a book series, because then I already know my characters. BUT I love to read a good short story!

soleilnaia
                      @soleilnaia

@felicity

LOL right? A girl can always dream XD

soleilnaia
                        @soleilnaia

@joy-calle

Honestly, the short story I’m talking about was a project for class. I learned a lot through that whole experience. Like the fact that it’s possible to make things happen in 750 words–it’s harder, but it teaches you to make every word count. And if the word isn’t actively bringing something to the piece…AMPUTATION!

Jayna Baas
                          @booksbyjayna
                            • Total Posts: 93

Hello, @soleilnaia, I don’t believe I’ve actually greeted you here despite answering one of your questions elsewhere on the forum. Welcome!

Does everyone write dystopias here?

Not everyone. 😉 I’m a hisfic girl myself, Revolutionary War era to be precise, though I have some contemporary ideas up my sleeve. The difficulty being, it’s generally advised to brand yourself with one genre and stick to it. So I’m focusing on writing more than one genre that will appeal to the same audience. We’ll see how that goes.

I really want to try my hand at more short stories, especially since they’re great for marketing and reader engagement. I know James Scott Bell says all great short stories are about one “shattering moment” in the character’s life. Now I just have to figure out how to apply that…

I love that your planning system keeps you sane. I am discovering more and more how much lists and schedules are my friends. They allow me to fake like I’m really organized. 🙂

Writer question for you: Are you a plotter, a pantser, or a tweener? (If you already answered that and I missed it, I apologize.)

​Jayna Baas
                            Christian Author/Editor
                            www.booksbyjayna.com

soleilnaia
                            @soleilnaia

@booksbyjayna

Hello! It’s nice to officially meet you 🙂

[quote quote=132516]Not everyone. 😉 I’m a hisfic girl myself, Revolutionary War era to be precise, though I have some contemporary ideas up my sleeve. [/quote]

Honestly, I was kidding about the dystopia part. I was just surprised because the first three people who talked to me were dystopian writers. But historical fiction is AMAZING! I’m glad you’ve found your niche 🙂 I hope you have fun with the contemporary fiction stuff, too.

[quote quote=132516]James Scott Bell says all great short stories are about one “shattering moment” in the character’s life.[/quote]

I love this! I heard someone say that novels are about journeys and short stories are about moments. But shattering…🤔 Very interesting…

[quote quote=132516]Writer question for you: Are you a plotter, a pantser, or a tweener?[/quote]

I’ve never written a full-length novel before, but, considering the way I intensively plan my life, I can’t see myself being anything other than a plotter or a tweener. Although…I’ve pantsed every short story I wrote, and I regularly pants my way through poetry, so who knows? Maybe I’d pants a book, too.

Also, this is my first time trying to quote someone, so I hope I’ve done it right.

Esther
                              @esther-c
                                • Total Posts: 3213

@soleilnaia

Also, this is my first time trying to quote someone, so I hope I’ve done it right.

I’ll help ya out here. 😉

So just copy and paste whatever you want to quote in the reply box. Highlight it, and press the quotation marks on the tool bar above the reply box. When you write your own response, be sure to deactivate the quotation. 🙂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Jayna Baas
                                @booksbyjayna
                                  • Total Posts: 93

@soleilnaia Yeah, for some reason the quote function doesn’t work correctly, so I do as Esther said and use the quote mark button in the reply box.

But historical fiction is AMAZING! I’m glad you’ve found your niche

Thanks! If you like historical fiction, I’d love for you to check out my website or newsletter (my website is in my signature at the bottom of this post).

I’ve never written a full-length novel before, but, considering the way I intensively plan my life, I can’t see myself being anything other than a plotter or a tweener. Although…I’ve pantsed every short story I wrote, and I regularly pants my way through poetry, so who knows? Maybe I’d pants a book, too.

It will be interesting for you to find out how you approach a novel. And it’s perfectly fine if you don’t figure it out right away. I’m halfway through my second full-length novel (after 20+ shorter novels that will probably never see the light of day), and I’ve just now found my plotting sweet spot. Best wishes in your writing!

​Jayna Baas
                                  Christian Author/Editor
                                  www.booksbyjayna.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >