They all said to start here…

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE They all said to start here…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    soleilnaia
    @soleilnaia
      • Total Posts: 32

Hello lovely people! My name is Naia and I love rainy days.

But that could be because I live in SoCal and rain is a novelty. SoCal’s favorite color is dead grass brown.

I’m a full-time college student with an on-campus job who also tutors 2 kids during the week, which means I have very little time to read and write–but I’m trying. It also means that my double-layered planning system is my best friend. Or the groundskeeper for my sanity. And my partner in control-freak-ness. But I’m learning to let go and let God.

I’m working towards being a teacher because God said so. And I know He said so because we have had this conversation a hundred times and have argued about it at least twenty, and you can only fight your calling for so long.

I love writing, though. I have a G2-pilot pen on my person 90% of the time. I’ve mostly written poetry in the past, but I’m starting to venture into the world of stories and it is thrilling. I haven’t published anything yet, but I know it will happen exactly when God wants it to happen because that’s the way it always goes.

I’m glad to be here and write words on this internet forum about how we’re all obsessed with writing words. I hope to connect with you soon!

Until then, stay awesome! 🙂

Also hello @joy-calle, the only person here I know (as of now).

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2798

@soleilnaia

Hello and welcome!

I suppose I can say I’m a college student too… I’m doing a dual credit program to save money right now. 🙂

Wow, you sound busy!! Hope you find some time to write, it’s such a comforting process sometimes (not when your character runs away with the pen XD)

I’m mineralizedwritings around here, but people call me mineral, or min. I’m currently writing a dystopian ya fiction series. 🙂

A couple ask the newbie questions:

1. are snakes cool?

2. I know you said writing other than poetry was knew for you, are you working on a non poetry project, if so what is it about? If not, what are the ideas for what your wanting to write?

3. Favorite plant?

We are glad to have you here! 🙂

へびは かっこいい です!

soleilnaia
        @soleilnaia

@mineralizedwritings

Dystopias are awesome! What drew you to the genre?

I agree–writing is a comfort. It’s one of my favorite coping methods, too. Journaling untangles the stress knots and sift through thoughts and feelings I don’t know what to do with.

Questions:

1. In all honesty, I’m indifferent to snakes, but once when I was about twelve they had an after-church program and some professional animal person brought snakes. After their show-and-tell presentation was over, they let some of the kids go pet the snakes. When I went to pet it, the thing bit my finger. (Note: It was not venomous, don’t worry.) So yeah, I don’t love snakes, I don’t hate them, either, but I can say that I got bit by one, which is pretty cool.

2. Good question! I have a lot of plot bunnies, but everything is loose thoughts right now. I’m not currently working on a big project or anything. It is a busy season of life right now, so my writing life is currently, “Just write something every day,” and I leave it at that.

3. I have no idea. Lots of plants are nice. I like sunflowers and lavender, and I have a tiny bamboo plant in my room, which probably drinks more water than some people do.

And now it’s your turn: What’s your favorite type of pen (or writing utensil)? (Mine is a 0.5 point G2 Pilot pen in black ink.)

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 110

@soleilnaia

I’M SO HAPPY YOU JOINED KP!!! *hugs*

“SoCal’s favorite color is dead grass brown” 🤣 I felt that in my soul LOL

(I want to hear more about these stories of yours. What genre do you think you’ll write? Do you prefer short stories or novels? Or how about novels in verse? I feel like you could totally pull off a book like that, which not many writers can!)

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 692

@soleilnaia

Hi, Naia. That’s a really pretty name btw. Perhaps I’ll use it in a story one day… (that should be a meme 😜😆)

Anyway, my name is Sara but my tag is Sarafini. 😉 I also write dystopia but my main genres are currently Sci-fi (my very 1st completed book just got finished in October. The 1st in a trilogy. I’m hoping to share it in March), Thrillers and contemporary.

Newbie questions: Since most writing questions have been listed I guess I’ll go for get to know you questions instead.

1st my favorite question (which has almost always been 1 I’ve asked on here) Have you listened to AIO (Adventures in Odyssey)

2. Favorite school subject?

3. Is there a specific class you hope to teach?

I guess that’s it for now. Hope to see you around KP!

Esther
              @esther-c
                • Total Posts: 3213

@soleilnaia

Hello and welcome, Naia!! I’m Esther: a volleyball-playing, violin-squeaking, dog-obsessed, homeschooled, God-loving, amateur writer!!

My current WIP is ya dystopian and is called The Endoxos Trilogy.

Now for the questions!!

1. Your name is really pretty! What does it mean?

2. Coffee, tea, or neither? Which is your preference?

3. What’s your favorite part about living in Southern California? (Assuming that’s what SoCal stands for. XD)

Nice to meet you and see ya around!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Esther.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

soleilnaia
                @soleilnaia

@joy-calle Helloooo! I’m glad I joined, too 😉

In response to your questions…

What genre do you think you’ll write? If I had to guess I’d say contemporary and historical fiction and maybe fantasy..? But one of the most recent short stories I’ve written was about a Bible-thumping missionary in an unspecified time and place who offends a ton of people, so I don’t rightly know.

Do you prefer short stories or novels? Or how about novels in verse? First off, novels. I normally prefer reading novels, too. I like to get to know the characters and completely immerse myself in the story. I would probably try to write the novel idea as a short story first, though. I would want to see if I like it enough to devote all that writing energy towards it. And novels in verse…that could be interesting. I’ve definitely thought about incorporating poetry into a novel or story. I think it all depends on what comes barfing out my brain.

soleilnaia
                  @soleilnaia

@sarafini

Aw thank you, Sara! Also, I hope to read your stories someday!

And now for the questions…

1. Have you listened to AIO (Adventures in Odyssey)? No, but I keep hearing about it so I’m sure it’s got to be good!

2. Favorite school subject? English. My major is actually “English Secondary Education.” I freak out over analyzing stories and poetry–I remember enjoying myself when I took the AP Lit exam. 🤓

3. Is there a specific class you hope to teach? English (not ESL) at the junior high or high school level. I’m leaning towards high school because I connect with that group a little more and you can dive a little bit deeper with them.

Hope to see you around, too!

soleilnaia
                    @soleilnaia

@esther-c

No way! I played volleyball in high school, too! I was a setter and then an opposite and it was awesome. It’s such a lovely, passive-aggressive sport: you don’t have to be up in people’s faces–instead you get to wack a ball at them from a distance.

Does everyone write dystopias here? XD I love it!

And now, question time:

1. Your name is really pretty! What does it mean? Why, thank you! It means “water nymph” or “flowing.”

2. Coffee, tea, or neither? Which is your preference? Tea. The last time I drank coffee, I got jittery and I couldn’t sleep ten hours later. My body has a strong reaction to the tiniest ounce of caffeine. I like tea. That glorified dirt water is liquidated peace.

3. What’s your favorite part about living in Southern California? Haha yes, SoCal stands for Southern California. My favorite part about living here is that my family lives here. Everyone I know and love lives here. I wouldn’t trade that for the greenest grass in the world.

Hope to see you around sometime!

Esther
                      @esther-c

@soleilnaia

No way! I played volleyball in high school, too! I was a setter and then an opposite and it was awesome. It’s such a lovely, passive-aggressive sport: you don’t have to be up in people’s faces–instead you get to wack a ball at them from a distance.

That’s so cool!! I play setter as well. That may change though, since I’m switching teams this year.

Ikr?! XD lol

Does everyone write dystopias here? XD I love it!

No quite everyone. XD @freedomwriter76 writes his-fic and so does @joy-calle and @booksbyjayna. @godlyfantasy12 writes fantasy. I think @gwyndalf-the-wise and @euodia-vision also write fantasy.

So not everyone. XD

1. Your name is really pretty! What does it mean? Why, thank you! It means “water nymph” or “flowing.”

Cool!

2. Coffee, tea, or neither? Which is your preference? Tea. The last time I drank coffee, I got jittery and I couldn’t sleep ten hours later. My body has a strong reaction to the tiniest ounce of caffeine. I like tea. That glorified dirt water is liquidated peace.

Nice! I only like tea if I’m in the mood for it. Lol. Coffee is typically my preference, especially if it’s in the form of a frappe! XD

3. What’s your favorite part about living in Southern California? Haha yes, SoCal stands for Southern California. My favorite part about living here is that my family lives here. Everyone I know and love lives here. I wouldn’t trade that for the greenest grass in the world.

That’s really awesome!! 😊

soleilnaia
                        @soleilnaia

@esther-c

Setter is like volleyball’s quarterback. You’re the understated conductor of everything and it’s awesome.

Everyone I’ve talked to so far (except for @joy-calle) writes dystopia.

And all the power to ya for your caffeine tolerance.😆 I can only dream…

Felicity
                          @felicity
                            • Total Posts: 811

@soleilnaia

Welcome and nice to meet you! It is so wonderful to meet another sister in Christ! *hug* I appreciate your perseverance in doing what God has called you to do, even if it has it’s difficulties. Currently I’ve been wrestling with God’s calling for my future and your testimony encouraged me. Thank you!

I’m Felicity on here, and I am a follower of Jesus (you might have picked that up already 😉 ). I also homestead with my family and love learning languages. I write His Fic and non-magical Fantasy, as well as some contemporary fiction…nothing is published yet, but I want to be within the next two years, Lord Willing!

Yes! A passionate pen person! 🙂 G-2’s are great, but my all time favorite is the Pilot Dr. Grip Gel, Black ink. (Although colored gel pens are pretty swell for editing).

A few questions, (since that seems to be the thing around here)…

1. What is your favorite Bible book? Mine is Revelations, especially the last few chapters.

2. What facet of English do you enjoy teaching the most? (grammar, literature…?)

Teaching is a very noble occupation. Wishing you many blessings on your career!

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Esther
                            @esther-c

@soleilnaia

Setter is like volleyball’s quarterback. You’re the understated conductor of everything and it’s awesome.

Yessss!! It’s awesome!!

And all the power to ya for your caffeine tolerance.😆 I can only dream…

lol XD

soleilnaia
                              @soleilnaia

@felicity

Hey girl! Happy to meet you, too, and am grateful that it was an encouragement. Praise God 🙂 And prayers for you as you struggle with the future.

And a homestead?

And yeah, I’m super particular about pens. 😅

Question time!

1. That’s so difficult to say right now because they’re all so awesome. Revelation was the first book I read as a youngster, so it will always have a special place in my heart. I’ve been enjoying Philippians lately, since I recently read it during a time when I was troubled and it was encouraging. Overall, though, really can’t say😂

2. Oooo that’s a great question. I’m not in student teaching yet, so I can’t say what class I like teaching the most, but I can guess. I’d probably enjoy the literature and writing stuff more than grammar and research paper units simply I gravitate towards those facets of English more.

Also thank you for the well wishes! Much appreciated.

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 110

@soleilnaia

If I had to guess I’d say contemporary and historical fiction and maybe fantasy..? But one of the most recent short stories I’ve written was about a Bible-thumping missionary in an unspecified time and place who offends a ton of people, so I don’t rightly know.

Those are all great genres! Though I’d have to say I’m obviously partial to historical fiction, I also love fantasy. Not to write, but I adore reading it. I have great respect for those who can create entire worlds from their own heads *doffs hat*

That missionary sounds terrific. XD Is he a fire-and-brimstone Jonathan Edwards type? Or a gentle and serious David Brainerd type who people just don’t like?

I normally prefer reading novels, too. I like to get to know the characters and completely immerse myself in the story. I would probably try to write the novel idea as a short story first, though. I would want to see if I like it enough to devote all that writing energy towards it.

Yes! But that sounds like a good idea.

And novels in verse…that could be interesting. I’ve definitely thought about incorporating poetry into a novel or story. I think it all depends on what comes barfing out my brain.

I love novels that incorporate poetry. I can’t say I myself am a huge fan of novels written completely in verse, but I probably just haven’t found a good one yet. Like I said, I think you’d be able to fill that void!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >