The Writerly Adventures of Jenna Trapperton

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Writerly Adventures of Jenna Trapperton

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 416 total)
  • Author
    Catwing
    @catwing
      • Total Posts: 2557

@mnvalentine Just so you know I don’t want to eat you. Honest. Have the rest of my trail mix. *drops pawfuls of nuts in front of you* I don’t like nuts. The texture mostly, cause I like peanut butter. I picked out all the raisins and m&ms and banana crisp thingies. So I have all these left over… *grins*

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Sam Kowal
      @sam-kowal
        • Total Posts: 635

@catwing 😀 Yeah. Stan could climb up with his claws if he wanted, of course, and I ought to encourage him to do so.

Being a dragon, though, he feels he supposed to be able to fly. (Which he kind of is.) Pulling himself up by his claws just isn’t the same as the way other dragons soar above the clouds and dart over fields with the speed and swiftness of eagles.

I’ll pass those flying tips onto him, though XD. Power strokes might actually be the key. That, and if I can find some thermals…

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
        Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

NC Stokes
        @daughteroftheking
          • Total Posts: 1156

@dekreel Loved this latest chapter! 😀

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

MNValentine
          @mnvalentine
            • Total Posts: 123

@catwing That’s a relief, I was a little worried there… *takes nuts and runs for her life*

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

WarrenLuther04
            @warrenluther04
              • Total Posts: 270

@dekreel Okay. That makes sense!

Thanks. I was trying to think up the best way to describe my personality, and here’s what I came up with. I am optimistic, extroverted, and geek (nerdy, same thing). 😀 Basically, I’m Toothless as a golden retriever! *wags tail* 🙂

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
              ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Joy
              @dekreel
                • Total Posts: 2304

@warrenluther04  Actually you remind me more of Dug from Up. I guess that makes sense XD

What things do you geek over? I know you love Star Wars and… maybe Harry Potter. Anything else?

You can pronounce it however you want.

WarrenLuther04
                @warrenluther04
                  • Total Posts: 270

@dekreel Dug from Up…he’s the bouncy dog, right? I guess you could make me like him, too…both he and Toothless work. Both of them are like my dog, and in turn like me!

Star Wars and Harry Potter, a bit of Marvel and DC as well. 🙂 I can’t think of anything else off of the top of my head….

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
                  ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Catwing
                  @catwing

@sam-kowal yes, do encourage him. 🙂
                    I know… But ‘being a Catwing’ not ‘being a dragon’. Before you get your wings you watch all the other Catwings fly around you and you wonder. ‘When are my wings going grow in? Surely I should at least have little wings, right? Why couldn’t I be born with wings?’ (some Catwings are born without wings, but they grow them in around six months to two years. Really tough wait. Really tough. I mean yeah!)
                    Indeed they are. Even if his wings are still too small it can still help increase his wing strength until he can fly. Maybe even speed up his wing growth. 🙂

@mnvalentine
                    XD Squirrels.

Ariella Newheart
                    @ariella-newheart
                      • Total Posts: 141

@rochellaine @skredder @seekjustice and @anyone-I-forgot

Since my mom is lactose intolerant, we drink goat milk all the time. Also A-2 milk more recently. I actually prefer goat milk to cow milk…I’m weird like that. 😛

By the way, @dekreel , amazing job! *thumbs up*

INFJ. An extroverted introvert who loves to write and draw.

*disappears into the shadows*

Catwing
                      @catwing

@dekreel Just so you know I did like it. 🙂
                        I just ranted about details… I liked it though.

Sam Kowal
                        @sam-kowal
                          • Total Posts: 635

@catwing XD Wow, yeah. At least Stan doesn’t have to watch all other kinds of dragons his age whizzing around in the air like catwings do. He is kinda old to have such small wings though. I’m hoping they can improve

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                          Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Joy
                          @dekreel

The GIF-Hiders: An Easter Story

Part Eight: Up a Tree

Having just hidden a Star Trek GIF, Skredder suddenly lifted her head. “Earthquake,” she simply said.

Everyone looked at her. “What?” said Valentine.

“Earthquake! An earthquake’s coming!” Skredder repeated.

“She’s right! I feel it, too!” called Catwing from a tree branch.

“But earthquakes don’t happen in the Kingdom of Pen!” Dekreel remarked, her hands on her hips.

“No really! It’s getting stronger! We should know – cats and dogs can sense earthquakes.”

Jenna wasn’t sure what to think at first. But as soon as she felt the ground underneath her feet quivering slightly, things started to clear up.

“Wait, I see something,” Dekreel said, gazing intently at something beyond the lantern light.

“What do you see?” Catwing swooped onto the cart and Valentine leaped onto a tree trunk. Everyone followed Dekreel’s gaze.

The rumbling grew ever stronger and more pronounced. Jenna’s breath caught in her throat. Something – something big – was coming their way.

Catwing started to sniff again. “I smell something foul.”

“Me, too!” replied Valentine. “What is that?”

Catwing narrowed her eyes and sniffed again. “It smells like…”

“Troll-thing!” Skredder finished Catwing’s sentence as a large creature, eight feet tall, snapping branches the width of Jenna’s arm, bounded past the cart for them. It had dark, rough, long fur that only added to its bulk. Its eyes were black and beady, and its sharp tusks jutted well out of its three-watermelon-sized mouth. It “HURMBFFNNLLRRLL-ed” while shoving branches away from its face.

Now troll-things made excellent, if clichéd, henchmen when they had an Overlord to obey. On their own, wild troll-things would instinctively capture someone, nobody in particular, and stick them in an elevated area (the equivalent of a tower in a castle, because, as good ol’ Dragon Snapper puts it, “Why would someone keep their captive anywhere besides a tower?”), and guard it so he or she couldn’t sneak down. It was quite a nuisance, but not necessarily a danger.

Unfortunately troll-things were also intimidating, loud, formidable and smelly, all of which generally provoke fear.

Anyway…

Jenna flung the GIF in her hand away and ran, her legs flying. Behind her, she heard screaming, and then: “Hellllp! Let go! LET GO!”

She resisted the urge to look behind her until she circled the cart.

Her fellow GIF-hiders were out of sight – except Dekreel, who was thrashing helplessly in the fist of the troll. Jenna cringed, hoping Dekreel wasn’t hurt by the snapping branches as the troll shoved her up the closest tree.

When he was satisfied that the poor Beast was well in the tree, he turned around and, with one final STOMP that shook the ground, crossed his arms. His huge jaw was thrust forward, and his tusks nearly poked his beady eyes.

He was now guarding the tree.

Jenna stared at the monster for several moments. Was it safe to approach the tree? Could she do it without being stomped?

Her question was answered when she spotted something tiny bounce-run towards the tree. Valentine. She gracefully leapt onto the tree in which Dekreel was imprisoned, and began to climb.

The troll “GARARARAAGLEGUR!!-ed” and attempted to squish the squirrel like an insect.

Valentine yelped, dodged the giant hand, and leapt off the tree.

Jenna waited for several cliff-hanging minutes, her eyes darting around as she tried to spot her fellow GIF-hiders. Her expression slowly became more fearful.

Then, somewhere in the trees, she heard a rustle, a gasp, a muffled cry, and a “Shhhh!”

The noises attracted the troll-thing’s attention. He growled and swatted at the air, then hacked his arms into the branches, clearly trying to steer Dekreel back to the middle of the tree.

Now what was that?

“Ow.” Catwing landed next to Jenna, behind the cart. She was rubbing her jaw.

“What happened?!” Jenna whispered, her eyes widened at the winged cat.

Catwing pointed to a tree adjacent to Dekreel’s tree. “I was sneaking onto Dekreel’s tree, but when I was trying to guide her into another tree, she slipped and almost fell. That’s when the troll heard us. He swatted my face!”

“Ohh… Are you okay?”

“’Course I’m okay!”

“How are we going to get her down?”

“Well, he likes pie, but that probably won’t help. Maybe Valentine could try again, and distract the troll while I sneak back…”

At this point, Jenna was staring at Catwing with her mouth gaping open. “What?!”

“I said Valentine could—“

“No, no, before that! Did you just say he likes pie?!”

“Yes – Yes, I did.”

“How… do you know he likes pie??”

“Oh, that was what he said when he saw Valentine: ‘FOR THE LOVE OF BLACKBERRY PIE, STAY OFF MY TREE!’”

“You can understand him?!”

“Of course!”

“Wow… maybe we could use that.”

“Hey you!” barked a voice. Catwing and Jenna peered beyond the cart and saw a young woman with freckles, glasses, a black jacket, a flowing skirt and cape, and her hands on her hips, glowering at the troll. “Get away from the tree!”

Jenna caught a faint scent of pizza that mingled with the troll’s odor.

“ARALLAWURGLAR!”

The woman simply cocked her head.

Catwing emerged from behind the cart and trotted a few rock throws away. “Hi, Jane! Hang on – let me translate. The troll said, ‘It’s my tower! I need to guard it!’”

“Thanks, Catwing!” Jane grinned at the cat, then looked back at the troll. “Why?”

“LOOFURAAKROOLA.” (“‘Because guarding is my specialty,’” translated Catwing.)

“Why don’t you let our friend off the tree? We don’t mean any harm,” Jane prodded with a sweet voice.

“BLAARG!” (“‘No!’”)

“Come on!”

“BLAAGAGUDWALOOLAR.” (“‘No! Unless an Overlord commands me to stop. And I don’t have an Overlord!’”

“Fine! I’m your new Overlord. Now let her go!”

“WEEMULILOFFUFAROCK.” (“‘You’re not an Overlord!’”)

“Of course I am! Look at me! Black attire, including mask and cape, awesome accent. I have it all!”

“RRUZALEWAFAGAUVEBOM.” (“‘Where is your sword? Why aren’t you in a castle? How good is your evil laughter?’”)

Jane chuckled. “Umm… Well…”

“ROLVAWELLOGAAAAR!” (“‘You’re faking it! You’re no Overlord! You’re an imposter!!’”)

Catwing was still in the middle of her translation when the troll thing banged his fists on the ground. GIFs and fallen leaves jumped into the air. Others fell from trees.

Jane stumbled backwards a little, but kept her cool, and her eyes on the troll.

The troll banged his fists again, taking a large step forward. Jane dodged his squash attempt.

Jenna was writhing and muttering, “Come on Jane… Don’t get squashed. Don’t…”

“Oh!” came Dekreel’s cry from the treetops.

The troll looked up, and then ran to a different tree and started to pound on the trunk.

It seemed that Dekreel had been sneaking away, and must have slipped a little.

Valentine broke away from the trunk of another tree. “Hey, stop that!” she cried, leaping onto the troll’s back, “Leave her alone!”

The troll thing shuddered, gasped and guffawed so loudly that it woke up the forest wildlife miles away.

Jenna couldn’t help but snicker as she pressed her hands on her ears, and watched Valentine skitter all over the troll’s back, belly, arms and feet. It turned out that trolls, or at least this one, were extremely ticklish.

The troll grunted, screeched, roared, whimpered, and uttered every other sound imaginable. He hopelessly swatted himself, trying to stop the squirrel.

Finally, as she made her way onto his shoulder, he flung her off. She tumbled to the ground by his feet, and started to scamper off, but the troll was right above her within one long bound.

Jenna barely heard herself screaming Valentine’s name. She watched helplessly as the troll lifted his foot to finish off the critter once and for all.

Jenna’s mind was running a marathon. Could she tell the troll thing not to squash her? Probably not – she was no Overlord. Could she dive under his foot and suffer for Valentine? No, it was too late for that. Could she attack? Impossible!

The troll’s foot started to descend onto Valentine.

But it never quite came completely down.

Starring Jenna, @skredder, @catwing, @mnvalentine, @jane-maree, the troll-thing and the “glowing-eyed dog.”

@daeus
                              @dragon-snapper  @sam-kowal  @rochellaine  @warrenluther04  @daughteroftheking  @aislinn-mollisong  @supermonkey42  @ariella-newheart  @aratrea  @kate-flournoy  @seekjustice  @sleepwalkingmk  @jenali  @ariel-ashira (Ariel, read the rest if you haven’t already 😉 )  @jenwriter17  @everyone…

MNValentine
                            @mnvalentine
                              • Total Posts: 123

@dekreel Awesome!!! I was laughing so hard 😀

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

Jenna Terese
                              @jenwriter17
                                • Total Posts: 2522

@dekreel this is so cool! 😀 I CANNOT wait until the next part!!!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                                www.jennaterese.com

Joy
                                @dekreel

@mnvalentine  Yes, I was laughing, too, as I wrote it. It’s another one of my favorite parts XD

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 416 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >