The story game….

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The story game….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
    @kyronthearcanin
      • Total Posts: 697

@acancello @janellebelovedpig @godlyfantasy12 @starshiness @mineralizedwritings

I know we haven’t worked on this in a while, but here.

Piper was beginning to slow down, and I was glad for it. I hadn’t exactly prepared for a several mile trek. Still, even this confident girl was beginning to get fidgety as we neared our destination- wherever that was.

Finally, graciously, she stopped, in front of a large boulder, jutting out of the tree line. “We’re here, Griffin.”

I frowned, glancing around. “Where would that be, exactly?”

“Somewhere I wish you never came,” she said. “But you’re here, and he knows, so it’s time.”

I knitted my eyebrows. “Who’s he?”

“You’ll see, nosy. Just follow me and keep your mouth shut.”

Despite my curiosity, I nodded. There was a silent warning in her voice, something more than just pure bossiness. So I followed her as she climbed over the top of the boulder, and then promptly disappeared right before me. Clambering up behind her, I looked down over the other side of the large rock.

A hole. Dug out of the ground. And all I could see, the whole way down, is darkness. Reaching my hand down, all I could feel is a faint, warm wind, along with a guttural growl. That’s definitely not Piper.

There was no way I could find my way back to the tree, even if the portal was back.

Not knowing what else to do, and sure I was probably, no, definitely going to die, I let my feet dangle down, closed my eyes, and dropped down into the hole.

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

LandriC
      @landric
        • Total Posts: 105

Here goes! That was a hard place to start from, but…

I’m not sure how deep I expected the hole to be, but I hit the ground far before I expected to. My knees buckled with the impact, and I felt myself crumple to the ground. It was harder than I expected. Not dirt, but some type of sand-coated stone.

I hadn’t realized my eyes were closed until I registered that everything was dark. The soft wind still blew, rustling my hair, and the growl resounded in my ears, reverberating through my chest and being.

Open your eyes, idiot. If you’re going to die, might as well see what kills you. 

I opened my eyes to see Piper’s face inches from mine. I flinched with startlement, and she glared at me. We were in a sort of cavern, certainly underground. The hole was still directly above me, but the ceiling (if it could be called that) was about four or five feet above my head. It was dark, but it felt long and cavernous, not nearly as cramped as I would have expected with how short my fall was.

Piper snorted. “It wasn’t that much of a jump,” she chided.

I wasn’t concerned by her tone this time. There were more important things to think about.

“What is that noise? Or who’s that noise, if that’s the better question?”

Several different emotions flickered across Piper’s face before I had the ability to decipher them.

“It’s okay,” she said, her voice gaining that gentle lilt again. “You’re safe.”

"To death or to victory"

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
        @kyronthearcanin

@landric

Lol I so badly want to go after that, but *sigh* I’ll wait for someone else. XD

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 692

@landric @kyronthearcanin

Idk who else to tag. XD I haven’t been on KP very much but I made it here!

“Safe!” I scream. “How can I be safe with that… thing making noise? It’s creepy!”

“That’s my secret.” She smiled, “Come with me.” She gave me her hand and I took it. She pulled me up and led me farther into the cave. My heart pumped hard as we got closer…

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
            @kyronthearcanin

@sarafini @landric @acancello

The growling sound filled the cave, echoing off of the walls, as Piper led me into a large cavern.

Piper, the voice snarled. Who is this you have brought to my cave?

Piper winced, then tried to cover it up. “This is Griffin. He followed me through the door.”

Followed!? the voice snapped. It seemed to come from everywhere at once, and I couldn’t see anything moving. Humans like you should have never come to this world. I have so far tolerated you, but this boy was not a part of our deal.

“Last I checked, the deal wasn’t exactly set in stone,” Piper replied, and despite her attempt at confidence, her voice wavered. “How was I supposed to know you would be scared of Griffin? He’s harmless.”

I put my hands on my hips. “I’m not-”

“Quiet!” Piper hissed through her teeth, stomping on my foot. She raised her voice and leveled her gaze on what appeared to be a rock wall at the back of the cave. “We’re stuck with him, so now he’s part of the deal.”

The voice rumbled what I guessed to be a laugh, a laugh that sent a shiver down my spine. A deal he’ll soon come to regret.

Allison
              @acancello
                • Total Posts: 838

@kyronthearcanin @janellebelovedpig @godlyfantasy12 @starshiness @mineralizedwritings @sarafini

Oooooh! This story is getting really good! I dont know how to add on though…. Does anyone else? Here it is so far!

One bright sunny day, I watched a girl leap over a rotten log and land with a splash in a muddy puddle. She was beautiful,daring and braver than all of the girls in the town, but she had a secret.

As I watched this girl, I wondered what her secret was. There she was walking through the park in front of my house while I watched from my front porch. She seemed on a mission. She had a purpose in her steps. A smile gently curled the edges of her mouth as she thought about it. I stood up slowly, wondering if I could follow her secretly.

Skipping over after her, I tried to keep my footsteps light against the mossy forest floor. Her red hair waves behind her, and for a moment, I think she’s turned back to see me. I pause, darting behind a tree as she peeks back. I sigh in relief. One of our neighbors next door, I’d always wondered where she spent all of her time, and thanks to this little mission, I was about to find out. Was it nosy? Perhaps, but my curiosity had already gotten the better of me. I follow her quietly. She quickly peeks around before opening a small door on the side of a tree. I gape in awe as light streams from the inside of the tree outwards. Stepping forwards onto the moss, I watch as she closes the door behind her.

I cock my head as she disappears into the portal. I go up to the tree and try to open the door. It opens much easier than I expected. The light shines out, blinding me. With a smile and my curiosity getting the better of me, I walk through.

With a stunning light, I am somewhere else. Where, I don’t know, but I know it is far, far away from the place I knew. Yellowed grass spreads out in a wide circle around the tree I’m in, and from there it gets greener until there are hills, and trees beyond them. And the girl… The girl is gone. Or at least, I suppose she is. Jumping down, I pace the outside of the circle, then return to the door. Do I go back? Or do I go after the red-haired girl, with no sense of direction?

I glance at my watch; How is it already so late? It might be best to go home. I have no clue where I’m going, and the girl is nowhere to be seen.

I turn to walk out the tree I came out of, to find the opening is gone. My heart beats quickly. It was just here! I rush to the tree, running my hands over the wood.

Nothing. I give it a small kick, wincing as I do so.

“That was dumb.” I mutter.

“So was following me!” I spin around, letting out an embarrassing yelp. There…looking very peeved, with her hands on her hips, stands the girl I just followed.  And technically stalked.

How do I explain this?

The girl’s hands flew to her hips and she skewered me with her glare. “Why do you, a complete stranger, need to know my business? Isn’t that kind of nosy?”

I shrugged. “Maybe. Let’s just start with your name, then. Mine’s Griffin.”

She sighed and walked to lean against the tree, settling down on the large roots. “Well, at least your name isn’t boring. If you must know, my name is Piper.”

I grin at her, sitting in the grass a couple feet away. “Good. Now we’re not strangers anymore. Ready to share that secret?”

She rolled her eyes. “What is it with you and secrets? Honestly, it’s not like I bothered you.”

“I went through your magic door, and now it’s gone. It took me somewhere completely new, like some kind of portal.” I raised my eyebrows. “I think I’m entitled to at least some curiosity.”

For a while she was silent. Then with a huff she stood, fiery hair blowing back in the wind like a wing. “Well then come on Griffin. If you’re so sure you want to know, I’ll just have to show you.”

A little unnerved, I followed.

Piper strode ahead, lengthening her steps to…get away from me, I suppose.

Eh, I deserve that. Probably.

She looked back. “Are you coming or are you just gonna stand there all day?”

Oh.

I looked down at my feet, who’d apparently decided motion was overrated.

Whoops.

Fumbling for the right response, I ran my hand through my hair. “Yes.”

Wait wait wait. No, that was the wrong one. Barnacles.

She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. “If you didn’t want to get involved, you should’ve never stalked me in the first place.”

“…Touche.”

Shaking her head at me, she moved to the back of our line.

“What-”

“Gotta make sure the snail makes it there eventually.”

I rolled my eyes at her, biting my tongue to keep from snarking back at her.

Needless to say, we journeyed in silence for the rest of the trip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wherever she was taking me, it seemed to be a roundabout way to get there. The terrain stayed mostly the same: yellowish grass, low rolling hills, and thin, pale-barked trees scattered in clusters across the landscape. Piper, although she didn’t say anything at all, guided us around several of those clusters of trees, never going through any of them.

The light around us began to fade after a few hours. I was halfway limping now, my feet exhausted from the several-mile trek.

“Piper,” I said finally. “Where are we going?”

She snorted. “You’re not leading are you? It’s only important that I know where we’re going.”

Crumbs, now I can’t say anything without acting like I’m complaining.

Still, Piper must have some heart, because she looked me over and said with just a hint of gentleness, “We’ll be there soon.”

I nodded. “Why haven’t we gone near the trees? I’d like to see-”

“I think we just had a conversation about who’s the leader.”

I wince.

Yes ma’am, then.

Piper was beginning to slow down, and I was glad for it. I hadn’t exactly prepared for a several mile trek. Still, even this confident girl was beginning to get fidgety as we neared our destination- wherever that was.

Finally, graciously, she stopped, in front of a large boulder, jutting out of the tree line. “We’re here, Griffin.”

“Somewhere I wish you never came,” she said. “But you’re here, and he knows, so it’s time.”

Despite my curiosity, I nodded. There was a silent warning in her voice, something more than just pure bossiness. So I followed her as she climbed over the top of the boulder, and then promptly disappeared right before me. Clambering up behind her, I looked down over the other side of the large rock.

A hole. Dug out of the ground. And all I could see, the whole way down, is darkness. Reaching my hand down, all I could feel is a faint, warm wind, along with a guttural growl. That’s definitely not Piper.

There was no way I could find my way back to the tree, even if the portal was back.

Not knowing what else to do, and sure I was probably, no, definitely going to die, I let my feet dangle down, closed my eyes, and dropped down into the hole.

I’m not sure how deep I expected the hole to be, but I hit the ground far before I expected to. My knees buckled with the impact, and I felt myself crumple to the ground. It was harder than I expected. Not dirt, but some type of sand-coated stone.

I hadn’t realized my eyes were closed until I registered that everything was dark. The soft wind still blew, rustling my hair, and the growl resounded in my ears, reverberating through my chest and being.

Open your eyes, idiot. If you’re going to die, might as well see what kills you.

I opened my eyes to see Piper’s face inches from mine. I flinched with startlement, and she glared at me. We were in a sort of cavern, certainly underground. The hole was still directly above me, but the ceiling (if it could be called that) was about four or five feet above my head. It was dark, but it felt long and cavernous, not nearly as cramped as I would have expected with how short my fall was.

I wasn’t concerned by her tone this time. There were more important things to think about.

Several different emotions flickered across Piper’s face before I had the ability to decipher them.

Safe!” I scream. “How can I be safe with that… thing making noise? It’s creepy!”

“That’s my secret.” She smiled, “Come with me.” She gave me her hand and I took it. She pulled me up and led me farther into the cave. My heart pumped hard as we got closer…

The growling sound filled the cave, echoing off of the walls, as Piper led me into a large cavern.

Piper, the voice snarled. Who is this you have brought to my cave?

Piper winced, then tried to cover it up. “This is Griffin. He followed me through the door.”

Followed!? the voice snapped. It seemed to come from everywhere at once, and I couldn’t see anything moving. Humans like you should have never come to this world. I have so far tolerated you, but this boy was not a part of our deal.

“Last I checked, the deal wasn’t exactly set in stone,” Piper replied, and despite her attempt at confidence, her voice wavered. “How was I supposed to know you would be scared of Griffin? He’s harmless.”

“Quiet!” Piper hissed through her teeth, stomping on my foot. She raised her voice and leveled her gaze on what appeared to be a rock wall at the back of the cave. “We’re stuck with him, so now he’s part of the deal.”

The voice rumbled what I guessed to be a laugh, a laugh that sent a shiver down my spine. A deal he’ll soon come to regret.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Allison.
                Starshiness
                @starshiness
                  • Total Posts: 174

@y’all Oop I saw a piece missing and some grammatical errors and they were bugging me so I just fixed them and did a teeny bit of editing. I didn’t change anyone’s wording tho, so hopefully that’s ok with everyone lol

One bright sunny day, I watched a girl leap over a rotten log and land with a splash in a muddy puddle. She was beautiful, daring and braver than all of the girls in the town–and she had a secret.

As I watched this girl, I wondered what her secret was. There she was walking through the park in front of my house while I watched from my front porch. She seemed on a mission. She had a purpose in her steps. A smile gently curled the edges of her mouth as she thought about it. I stood up slowly, wondering if I could follow her secretly.

Skipping over after her, I try to keep my footsteps light against the mossy forest floor. Her red hair waves behind her, and for a moment, I think she’s turned back to see me. I pause, darting behind a tree as she peeks back. I sigh in relief. One of our neighbors next door, I’d always wondered where she spent all of her time, and thanks to this little mission, I was about to find out. Was it nosy? Perhaps, but my curiosity had already gotten the better of me. I follow her quietly. She quickly peeks around before opening a small door on the side of a tree. I gape in awe as light streams from the inside of the tree outwards. Stepping forward onto the moss, I watch as she closes the door behind her.

I cock my head as she disappears into the portal. I go up to the tree and try to open the door which opens much easier than I expect. The light shines out, blinding me. With a smile and my curiosity getting the better of me, I walk through.

With a stunning light, I am somewhere else. Where, I don’t know, but I know it is far, far away from the place I knew. Yellowed grass spreads out in a wide circle around the tree I’m in, and from there it gets greener until there are hills, and trees beyond them. And the girl… The girl is gone. Or at least, I suppose she is. Jumping down, I pace the outside of the circle, then return to the door. Do I go back? Or do I go after the red-haired girl, with no sense of direction?

I glance at my watch; How is it already so late? It might be best to go home. I have no clue where I’m going, and the girl is nowhere to be seen.

I turn to walk out of the tree I came from, only to find the opening is gone. My heart beats quickly. It was just here! I rush to the tree, running my hands over the wood.

Nothing. I give it a small kick, wincing as I do so.

“That was dumb.” I mutter.

“So you was following me!” I spin around, letting out an embarrassing yelp. There… looking very peeved, with her hands on her hips, stands the girl I just followed. And technically stalked.

How do I explain this?

I drop my gaze from hers. “I, um… well… I wanted to know your secret.”

She pushes her face closer to mine, her sea-green eyes staring at me suspiciously. “How did you know I had a secret?”

I shrug. “‘Cause you acted like it.”

Judging by the way she scrunches her freckled face into a frown, followed by an indignant stomp of her foot, I don’t think she likes my answer.

The girl’s hands fly to her hips and she skewers me with her glare. “Why do you, a complete stranger, need to know my business? Isn’t that kind of nosy?”

I shrug. “Maybe. Let’s just start with your name, then. Mine’s Griffin.”

She sighs and walks to lean against the tree, settling down on the large roots. “Well, at least your name isn’t boring. If you must know, my name is Piper.”

I grin at her, sitting in the grass a couple feet away. “Good. Now we’re not strangers anymore. Ready to share that secret?”

She rolls her eyes. “What is it with you and secrets? Honestly, it’s not like I bothered you.”

“I went through your magic door, and now it’s gone. It took me somewhere completely new, like some kind of portal.” I raise my eyebrows. “I think I’m entitled to at least some curiosity.”

For a while she was silent. Then with a huff she stood, fiery hair blowing back in the wind like a wing. “Well then come on Griffin. If you’re so sure you want to know, I’ll just have to show you.”

A little unnerved, I follow.

Piper strides ahead, lengthening her steps to…get away from me, I suppose.

Eh, I deserve that. Probably.

She looks back. “Are you coming or are you just gonna stand there all day?”

Oh.

I look down at my feet, which had apparently decided that motion was overrated.

Whoops.

Fumbling for the right response, I run my hand through my hair. “Yes.”

Wait wait wait. No, that was the wrong one. Barnacles.

She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. “If you didn’t want to get involved, you should’ve never stalked me in the first place.”

“…Touche.”

Shaking her head at me, she moves to the back of our line.

“What-”

“Gotta make sure the snail makes it there eventually.”

I rolled my eyes at her, biting my tongue to keep from snarking back.

Needless to say, we journey in silence for the rest of the trip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wherever she was taking me, it seemed to be a roundabout way to get there. The terrain stayed mostly the same: yellowish grass, low rolling hills, and thin, pale-barked trees scattered in clusters across the landscape. Piper, although she didn’t say anything at all, guided us around several of those clusters of trees, never going through any of them.

The light around us began to fade after a few hours. I was halfway limping now, my feet exhausted from the several-mile trek.

“Piper,” I said finally. “Where are we going?”

She snorted. “You’re not leading are you? It’s only important that I know where we’re going.”

Crumbs, now I can’t say anything without acting like I’m complaining.

Still, Piper must have some heart, because she looked me over and said with just a hint of gentleness, “We’ll be there soon.”

I nodded. “Why haven’t we gone near the trees? I’d like to see-”

“I think we just had a conversation about who’s the leader.”

I wince.

Yes ma’am, then.

A hole. Dug out of the ground. And all I could see, the whole way down, was darkness. Reaching my hand down, all I could feel was a faint, warm wind, along with a guttural growl. That’s definitely not Piper.

Not knowing what else to do, and sure I was probably, no, definitely going to die, I let my feet dangle down, closed my eyes, and dropped down into the hole.

I opened my eyes to see Piper’s face inches from mine. I flinched, startled, and she glared at me. We were in a sort of cavern, certainly underground. The hole was still directly above me, but the ceiling (if it could be called that) was about four or five feet above my head. It was dark, but it felt long and cavernous, not nearly as cramped as I would have expected with how short my fall was.

“Safe!” I scream. “How can I be safe with that… thing making noise? It’s creepy!”

Piper, the voice snarled. Who is this you have brought to my cave?

Followed!? the voice snapped. It seemed to come from everywhere at once, and I couldn’t see anything moving. Humans like you should have never come to this world. I have so far tolerated you, but this boy was not a part of our deal.

The voice rumbled what I guessed to be a laugh, a laugh that sent a shiver down my spine. A deal he’ll soon come to regret.

Question, do we want Griffin to see the mysterious creature he’s talking to and like be intimidated by it or should we save that for some sort of reveal later on?? Like maybe he’s this big scary-sounding creature but he’s not actually that fearsome when you look at him…? Idk, could be I’m just copying the Wizard of Oz here 😅

I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

Smiley
                  @smiley
                    • Total Posts: 2179

I’m here to join the story.

“Can I just talk to Daniel?!”  Piper snapped, she was sick of this squabble.

“Is he a human?”

“Quiet!” Piper lectured.

“No you fool he’s a wizard,” The growl in the dark said.

Great an old white man. Griffin thought.

But appearing out of the shadows, a tall younger man came out.

“If I knew you would be so mean I wouldn’t have hired you as guards.”

“That’s the wizard?!”

“Do you ever shut up?!” Piper hissed.

“Piper you brought another human.”

So I had a story like this in my head with a young wizard so I figured I would add it (I think he’s good but that’s up to you guys)

Oxygen shortage

do your part, hold your breath

Allison
                    @acancello
                      • Total Posts: 838

@starshiness

Thanks for doing that 🙂 Now it looks a lot better!

Starshiness
                      @starshiness

@acancello Oh great, np!

Starshiness
                        @starshiness

The only thing I really didn’t do much with was the different tenses heh… the first half seemed to follow present tense but then we apparently switched to past after that? Oh well 😅

Continuing…

“Um, not intentionally… he sorta followed me here.” Piper shot Griffin a peeved look that indicated she hadn’t forgotten the offense.

The wizard’s eyes were kind as he smiled at Griffin. “I see. Well, we cannot condemn a curious mind, can we.” He spoke in no hurry, slower with his words than most. “What is your name, young sir? As you will have already gathered, I am Daniel.”

“I’m Griffin.” Being me, I also went ahead and blurted. “You don’t look like a wizard.”

Daniel chuckled, a low, rich tone from deep in his throat. “Perhaps not. But I’m sure you would agree that few of us look like what we are. Take Piper for example,” he continued. “I’m sure few could tell simply by looking at her that she is a _________

I blinked in shock while Piper smirked in satisfaction, obviously pleased at my surprise.

Soooooooo anyone have any input as to what Piper should be…??? A princess… an elf… uh…… help…… 😂

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                          @kyronthearcanin

@starshiness

Hmmmmmm…. good question. A princess prbly wouldn’t have anything to do with looks, but the elf thing could be because her ears were hidden… Or maybe she could be like a shapeshifter, like how certain people could change into wolves or something… I don’t know XD

Starshiness
                            @starshiness

@kyronthearcanin Yea true. Oo I like the shapeshifter idea. But idk how that sounds or how it would tie in with the story.. unless someone else wants to lend the creative juices bc I’m fresh out XD

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                              @kyronthearcanin

@starshiness

Hmmmmm…. I’ve been thinking XD

Maybe she wasn’t always a shapeshifter? Maybe the wizard made her one by accident or something, or maybe she thought she wanted it at first but now she doesn’t? My brain has decided to not remember the rest I came up with, lol, so that’s it for now.

LandriC
                                @landric
                                  • Total Posts: 105

@kyronthearcanin @starshiness What if she’s half elf and half human? Just spitballing here, but that would make sense why she’s partially magic/elvish, but looks human.

But I also really like the shapeshifter idea too…I think it would work if she made a deal with the wizard to turn her into a shapeshifter too!

"To death or to victory"

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >