The Narrow Path Trilogy Book I: The Cost

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests The Narrow Path Trilogy Book I: The Cost

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    Ellette Giselle
    @ellette-giselle
      • Total Posts: 1072

@linus-smallprint

hang on, Joe did the one with the bunny?! We have two or three copies of that one!!!

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

The Ducktator
      @theducktator
        • Total Posts: 723

@linus-smallprint @ellette-giselle

I love Little Pilgrim’s Progress!!!! My dad reads it to us almost every year!

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

The Ducktator
        @theducktator
          • Total Posts: 723

@ellette-giselle

We have one copy with the bunny, and a copy without the bunny. We just read the bunny one, and I loved the illustrations so much!!!

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

Stephie
          @stephie
            • Total Posts: 89

linus-smallprint

Now that I’ve read ellette-giselle ‘s suggestion about a little kid hugging stripe, I can’t stop picturing it. That would be so cute!

"Courage, dear heart." -Aslan

Stephie
            @stephie

This is how even the people online know I’m tired.

@linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

My goodness.

Ellette Giselle
              @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint  @stephie

I KNOW!

Linus, make some little kid hug Stripe, or we poor authors will be driven insane by the beautiful mental picture and lost opportunity that you sidestepped!! That one scene will make these books famous! If you leave it out, the books will slide into the shadows.

You have been warned.

lololol

Linus Smallprint
                @linus-smallprint
                  • Total Posts: 395

@keilah-h

Please tell me you kept Stripe’s glasses (or at least have another bespectacled Kunulf in the story somewhere, if you didn’t) cause I love the look of it.

He was wearing these in Chapter the 18th. He only wears them for reading.

does that imply that a “vunny” exists? some animal, maybe?

Yes. This is a creature something like a rabbit. I don’t know exactly what it is like yet. It makes a good stew. The full name I currently have for it is Vandergrit (which I might change, because this sounds a little too much like my Grandma’s maiden name).

@ellette-giselle
                  , @theducktator

wait, you’ve read The Little Pilgrim’s Progress!??!

When I was in elementary school, I did. I’ve read the original version a couple of times.

And yes, Joe Sutphin did illustrate the bunny one. I don’t actually own this, but I am considering getting it.

Linus Smallprint
                  @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle, @stephie

I don’t know why, but this whole time I have really, really wanted one of the characters to give Stripe a hug. Like one of the little kids. It would be so cute, especially because he does not seem lie a hugs person, yet his protector side wouldn’t let him hurt a little kid. lol.  – Ellette

Now that I’ve read ellette-giselle ‘s suggestion about a little kid hugging stripe, I can’t stop picturing it. That would be so cute! – Stephie

Hmm…

Linus, make some little kid hug Stripe, or we poor authors will be driven insane by the beautiful mental picture and lost opportunity that you sidestepped!! That one scene will make these books famous! If you leave it out, the books will slide into the shadows.

Whoa. There is nothing else in my book that causes it to stand out?!?

Tell you what. One of you draw a picture of this and I will see if I can work it in somewhere.

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h
                      • Total Posts: 4721

@linus-smallprint ohhh, ok, still awesome though.

also vandegrit isn’t a bad name for a creature, even if you do end up changing it. How do you come up with these names?

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Linus Smallprint
                      @linus-smallprint

@keilah-h

also vandegrit isn’t a bad name for a creature, even if you do end up changing it. How do you come up with these names?

Sure, I’ll share with you my fantasy name tips. I’ve come up with a few over the years.

For Kentor things, I take a word that somehow represents the character or item and translate it into Latin. But Latin is boring because everyone uses it. So I also translate it into a lesser-known language: Cree. Then I try to combine the two words into one word that I think fits the character. I can’t remember the Latin and Cree words I used for this, but Tyn’s last name, Meritinox, means stubborn.

Sometimes I will just take the English word and change it a little bit. For example, Martha was my most humble character, so changed humble to Humler. Alan’s family is a mess and at the front of his hair is a messy swirl, or a whirl of hair. Wherl works for that. Kentor is just another version of Centaur.

Other times, I’ll just take something Canadian. Kunulf is a combination of Canuck (which mean Canadian) and the German word for wolf, ‘Ulf’. Apparently, some Canadians would call a tourist ‘gorby’ (though I’ve never hear this), so I just cut off the ‘Y’ for my most foreign species.

And you know Lyen names already.

I can’t remember exactly how I came up with Vandergrit, but it could be I was trying to tie my Dutch roots in there. Sometimes I will draw from my own family history. Nearland is named after a small farming community my Mom grew up in. I am thinking of useing the name of the town my Dad was born in for inspiration for the name of a metal that exsists only in Ehverwyld.

So, yeah. If you have trouble coming up with names, look around you for inspiration. Come up with some sort of excuse in your world for any names you are not confident with (remember, your characters are allowed to be bad at naming things). Look to other languages for ideas. I hope you find this helpful for your writing.

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h
                          • Total Posts: 4721

@linus-smallprint Cool, and thank you for the tips! I did the same when naming my creatures:

• “Drachenheul” is somewhat-butchered German for “dragon howl” cause those creatures are part-wolf and part-dragon (besides their human part). The reason I chose German was because that’s the nationality of the character who inspired the species, plus I’ve always though the harshness of the language would do well for dragons. In fact, English Drachenheul also call themselves Dracorians, although the word isn’t technically accepted as a proper alternate species name.
                          • “Argonite” (my crocodilian people) actually derives from “kryptonite.” I created the species for a fan fiction. The original work I made the fanfic for had a running joke about an extinct New Zealand society that was similar to Krypton from the DC comics, and the Argonites mostly live in my world’s version of Australia/New Zealand/all those kinds of places, so I wanted to reference the inspirations but make it original. So I took my periodic table and went through the other noble gases seeing what could fit with an -ite suffix. Argon was the only one that sounded like it worked.
                          • “Ailurid” (my cat species) was based off Proailurus, an extinct cat species. I wanted something that referenced the Latin words for cat but thought “felid” or “feline” was too obvious. Hence I went for a lesser known word for cat.
                          • “Salamandrion” (my fire-loving amphibian-based kind) was just me playing with the word “Salamander” because the animal is associated with fire.
                          • “Suilean” (my beetle-winged race) was interesting. It’s based off the Scottish Gaelic word for “eyes” because my world’s equivalent of England/Scotland is where nearly all Suileans come from, and these creatures have hexagonal, segmented irises looking like a combination of a fly’s eye and a human’s. I’ll have to draw it for you, it sounds creepy when I explain it but is actually really cool.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ellette Giselle
                          @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

Tell you what. One of you draw a picture of this and I will see if I can work it in somewhere.

You’re so mean.

I don’t draw dogs, or anything in the dog family if I can help it. It never looks right.

I hope you know I was joking.

It would be a killer scene tho!

Stephie
                            @stephie

@linus-smallprint

There’s a lot that causes your book to stand out. All of the different species you’ve come up with, for example, and the complex characters. The plot is original, your narration is funny and fresh, and thus far it’s a unique story!

We all really just want a kid to hug Stripe.

@ellette-giselle

Sorry, can’t help you there XD

I suck at drawing.

Linus Smallprint
                              @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle @stephie

Yes, I did know Ellette was joking.

(The problem with these forum chats is it can be hard to portray emotion. Prehapes I should use more emojis or something.)

You’re so mean.

I don’t draw dogs, or anything in the dog family if I can help it. It never looks right. – Ellette

Sorry, can’t help you there XD

I suck at drawing. – Stephie

Okay. Okay. I’ll see if I can fit something in. No promises though. In the next chapter, I need a different character to get hugged by a small child (*small spoiler*), and it won’t work out as much if Stripe also gets a hug. Maybe later though.

(I thought I could get a free drawing there but guess not. Plans to take over the world foiled again.)

Linus Smallprint
                                @linus-smallprint

@keilah-h

Okay. Grabbing the names of different species from different sources of inspiration is a good idea since they probably all have different cultures and it would be a little weird and boring. Nice!

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 276 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >