The Mind of a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Emma Flournoy
    @emma-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 1352

@Jess 😀

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise
      By all means, stay out of the ocean. 😛

Rosey Mucklestone
      @writefury
        • Total Posts: 467

Wow, this is enthralling, guys.

Especially where I had to go dig up a random mentioning of myself.

And MBTI.

I bet barely anyone even remembers what the starting question was.

likeship

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper
          • Total Posts: 3515

@writefury OH! OH! I remember!!! (well, maybe that’s because I started it.) What can I say: I’m a dragon.

Speaking of which, why do we as writers like fantasy and made up stuff so much? Is there any explanation for being magnetized towards that stuff. I find that I like it because of my sense of adventure. And maybe that’s just how I was raised.
          How about you guys?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Corissa Maiden of Praise
          @corissa-maiden-of-praise
            • Total Posts: 256

@dragon-snapper I think it’s because it’s something we haven’t personally experienced, but that sounds enthralling. A sense of adventure, like you said. Just as the idea of unknown lands magnetized explorers like Leif and Columbus, so the idea of mythical things captivates us today. We’ve discovered our entire planet (well, we don’t know everything about it yet, but we can draw complete and accurate maps now 😉 ) so our minds are turning elsewhere. For the writers, it’s to their own unknown worlds, and for the scientists it’s to space and the still undiscovered universes. And then there’s the explorers who prefer the unexplored depths of the ocean or the mysterious land of the Congo. 😀

And all you awesome MBTI people @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @writefury @hope @anyoneelsewholovesmbti I’m finally figuring this out! I convinced my mom and brother to take the test the other day, and accurately guessed what they were before seeing the results! 😀 (They were ISFJ and ISTJ, by the way 😉 )

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise Yay for you!! My Mom is ISFJ and my dad is ISTJ. 🙂 It seems like most moms are ISFJ for some reason…

@Dragon-Snapper
              I’ve actually though of that (well, as a reader. 😛 ). One of the reasons I like completely made up stories better than historical fiction (not always, but sometimes) is that it is completely made up. With historical fiction, I know that these characters weren’t really real and nor was their involvement or whatever in this historical period, so it makes me kinda sad and disappointed that they didn’t really live. But with fantasy, the whole world is made up, and so the whole thing isn’t real! That makes me be able to see the characters as real, since they and their world are made up, not just made up characters in a real world. If the whole thing is fake, then I can believe it wholeheartedly since none of it happened anyway and so of course, all of it happened and the characters are completely real! 😀 Do you know what I mean?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
              Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

As a reader, I generally prefer historical fiction, but I still really like fantasy.

As a writer, though I find that I like almost all genres, what I really love about fantasy and that is the one reason I will probably write more of it than some other genres is that I don’t have to stick to facts. The only thing that is important in fantasy is a basic realism and then an understanding of universal truths, which is my natural stronghold. Basically, it’s easier. 🙂

@emma-flournoy
                well, my mom’s an ENFP which is almost the opposite of that.

@kate-flournoy
                MBTI expert, I have a question. I’ve noticed that youngest brother (3) is a strong F and I’m pretty confident he’s an E and I think an N too because he seems empathetic. How do I tell between J and P though? I kinda know the difference, but I wouldn’t know what outward signs to look for.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Corissa Maiden of Praise
                @corissa-maiden-of-praise
                  • Total Posts: 256

@emma-flournoy Yes! I once read a book that I thought was based completely on historical events, and then there was a note at the end letting me know that the main characters were both fictional and yes this one person was real but not everything happened exactly the way we had to portray it in this condensed setting… and it’s just like, seriously? Okay, so maybe you “had” to use fictional characters to communicate with a specific audience, but at least make the historical characters and their doings historically accurate!

*ahem* But yes, I often enjoy wholehearted fiction more than partial fiction. Although historical fiction, when done correctly, can be very educational and well written. It takes just the right touch though. 😉

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise congratulations! Welcome to the crazy world of psychological genius! 😀

@Dragon-Snapper
                    I agree with @Emma-Flournoy. One hundred percent. 😉 Also, one of the reasons I love fantasy as a writer is because it takes us so completely out of our reality that the truth of reality can be portrayed through it and be as fresh and exciting as though we’d never discovered it before.

@Daeus
                    well, a good rule of thumb for figuring out that particular function is that Js like to make life happen, whereas Ps prefer to let it happen and respond accordingly. You might say P is for passive, and J is for… something. 😛 Ps are more carefree, Js more responsible. A J will often manifest itself in a child as extreme bossiness, stubbornness, and very organized… hm… manipulation. 😀

Daeus
                    @daeus

@kate-flournoy That’s a helpful clarification. I’m not sure about my brother though. Maybe it’s not as clear since he’s younger. I think he’s fairly organized. I noticed it’s easy to get him to wear matching clothes if that counts. He seems to try to get his own way but is also very ready to follow. I don’t think of him as stubborn. He’s the best behaved for his age out of everyone in our family. He has a perfect knack for complimenting women if that’s any clue.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

@Daeus ENFP. That description is ENFP to the core. *grins* And—‘The perfect knack for complimenting women’— that is absolutely hilarious.

One way to tell the difference (weird, but you already know I am) is to look at the eyes. ENFPs have very bright, living, curious, sparkling eyes. ENFJs are softer; more thoughtful and subdued. The difference between ENFJ responsibility and ENFP spontaneous joy.

Also, ENFPs are effortlessly charming. My one-year-old brother is an ENFP, and he has all the older girls (myself included 😛 ) wrapped around his little finger. He knows it too. He doesn’t have to be stubborn or bossy to get us to do what he wants. *chuckles*

Daeus
                        @daeus

@kate-flournoy You know, you’re right about that eye thing. I never noticed it before, but between the known Js and Ps in my family and those few I know the types for outside my family, I think that seems to fit. Might not remember one or two’s eyes perfectly, but it seems true. It’s a simple trick too, which I like.

My little brother’s eyes are especially sparkling. He has an incredibly charming smile too.

Here’s what he recently told my mom. “Every time I see you you’re wearing something different. And I like that so much because you look so beautiful in them.”

He’s said similar things to my youngest sister. I’ve never heard him do it outside the family thankfully. Maybe I should be on the lookout though. 😉

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

@Daeus that. is. too. cute.

Also (because why use words when I can have a handy chart that explains it better than I do) here’s something fun about the eye thing:mbti eyes

There is greater variance within segments once you learn what you’re looking for, but this is the basics.

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise *shiver* How terrible. 😛

@Daeus
                              Oh really?! You’re mom was one of those I was specifically thinking of when I said that. Shows you how much I know. 😛 Is your sister Kina an ENFP too, or an ENFJ? And your youngest sister Diara an ENFP? Hm…is your whole family ENFs, except for your dad who’s an INTP, and Conrad who’s an INF/TJ? I think I’m missing someone though…Jerin, maybe. I know you have a brother named that but I don’t know who he is. I don’t know the name of the 3 year old you’re talking about but I know who he is. (CUTE. 😀 )

Daeus
                              @daeus

@kate-flournoy Is that the actual shape of the iris (or whatever it’s called) or is that the “feel” of the eye?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

@Daeus feel, definitely. All irises are round, I’m pretty sure. 😛

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >