The Legend of King Daeus

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques The Legend of King Daeus

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 528 total)
  • Author
    DelightInLife
    @delightinlife
      • Total Posts: 124

@dragon-snapper Yay!! *gives you ice cream* I look forward to reading!

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

😀 *licks icecream*

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper
          • Total Posts: 3515

@daeus Oh don’t worry. There’s plenty of ice cream…I made sure of it. 😎

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Gracie
          @graciegirl
            • Total Posts: 889

@dragon-snapper Yay!! I’m so excited! *texts Mom to buy extra raspberries to eat while reading*

*is probably geeking out about something*

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper

@graciegirl Raspberries are mentioned as well. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper

Alrighty! The moment you’ve all been waiting for!!!

The Legend of King Daeus: The Sequel
                Part 1

It was a dark and stormy night. Actually, it was a bright and sunny morning, but no one was sitting under a pine tree or staring at lily pads. No, they were glaring at maps, at clues, at ice cream.
                Nine knights, a Wiser, a frog and two princesses circled the table. There was no king. And of course, that was a problem.
                “This is all the evidence we could find,” Snapper announced as she laid three more raspberries onto the table. “Otherwise, there’s nothing.”
                The Wiser stared at the ‘evidence’. “Two gallons of ice cream, six raspberries, chocolate, and a mystery crest on a knife from a land far, far away. That doesn’t give us very much to go off of.”
                Shooting a glare at him, Kina demanded, “And yet he’s gone! Daeus is still missing! Why is he missing?”
                No one answered. They simply stared at the various clues. The Wiser was right. How were they supposed to find the missing King Daeus when they only had this?
                They had all woken up with the sun, and gone to breakfast as usual. But the unusual thing about the usual breakfast was that Daeus was not there. Everyone knew that Daeus wouldn’t miss breakfast for anything.
                They’d searched the entire castle, only finding a spilled bowl of raspberries in his room, as well as the ever-present ice cream and chocolate. That suggested several things: that he’d gone off on a morning walk without being seen by a single knight in the castle, or that he’d flown off on the dragons. But the dragons were still in their stables.
                But then someone had found a dagger. Black metal comprised the hilt, and the crest on the scabbard was foreign. That suggested something else entirely. Daeus had been kidnapped.
                Presently, the Knight Brianna, otherwise known as the Crusader, made an attempt to comfort the princess, “Even as we speak Anne is researching the crest. Once we find out who’s it is we’ll have some sort of lead.
                KASLAM!
                The familiar bursting of the doors made everyone in the room jump, and the ever-cheerful Anne dashed to the table, a dusty scroll crumpled in her grasp. “I found it!” she exclaimed.
                A temporary relief washed over Kina’s face. Maybe they would have a lead to her brother after all.
                “You guys aren’t going to like this,” Anne muttered as her shaking hands unraveled the scroll. The relief dissipated. “It comes from the Noteste Estate out west, near the coast. “
                The Knights exchanged glances. The Noteste Estate was notorious for the darkness that constantly enveloped the castle that lay there. Troll things roamed the perfectly aligned trees surrounding the fortress. If Daeus was taken there…
                “No one knows who rules it, but I’m guessing because of the troll things that it’s Thray,” Kate suggested.
                Across the table, Degrande shook his head. “Thray is still in his cell. No. The dragons are missing. Daeus is missing. It all points to this dagger. Whatever his captors have planned, it can’t be good. We must go to the Estate as soon as possible.”

Part 2
                Daeus groaned and opened his eyes. It was dark outside. Really dark. There was no sound. His bed was unusually uncomfortable.
                He moved to get up, but then found his hands were tied behind his back. Great. They had done the classic grab’n’go kidnapping. Step one: knock victim unconscious. Step two: tie hands behind back. Step three: throw victim in a wagon and take to destination. Step four: lock in tower until prince comes to save them.
                Pfff. Daeus didn’t need to be saved. All he had to do was untie the knots. Simple, right?
                “Extremely simple,” he muttered to himself as he realized that the cold steel against his wrists were manacles. Maniacal manacles. “Perfect.”
                He rolled into a sitting position, and his head was still groggy, but it didn’t hurt. So how had his captors managed to chain him up and transport him if they hadn’t knocked him out? Poison? No, it was illegal to poison the king. Then again, it was illegal to kidnap the king too.
                Wondering about his position, the door abruptly slammed open and he winced against the sudden burst of light. Two silhouettes moved forward, and with their meaty hands pulled him to his feet. He could tell by the way they stomped that they were troll things. This was the work of Thray. Behind his back, Daeus clenched his fists. However the traitor had escaped, he would like to know. And as the troll things led him down a long staircase, he suspected that he’d find out very soon.
                Finally, they reached a room with high ceiling and a vaulted roof. The windows were covered by black curtains, and a long table was the centerpiece the grand dining room. On it were all sorts of breakfast items and Daeus’ stomach growled. He hadn’t had the chance to eat all of his raspberries. At the head of the table was Thray, taking his time on a tower of pancakes. Ice cream ran off the top and spilled to the sides of the plate.
                “Daeus, good to see you,” the villain smiled. It wasn’t Thray. He glanced at the look on Daeus’ face and his grin widened, “Surprised?”
                The troll things un-cuffed Daeus and shoved him into a chair. If it could be called a chair… It was more like a stool, making it so that Daeus eyes barely reached the top of the table. He felt like a child in the school master’s office.
                “Who are you?”
                The villains face melted into a hurt frown. A genuinely pained look that made Daeus think of a child. A child who had his candy stolen from him.
                “You…you don’t know who I am?”
                Daeus shook his head.
                “Why…how dare you?! You’re such a meany!”
                What on earth was wrong with this villain? Daeus looked at him with a resolve in his eyes, “Listen, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. But I’m new around here, and I don’t think you’re as widely known as Thray…”
                Rather unexpectedly, the villains face hardened and he laughed manically. “I will be! Soon, everyone will know my name, Daeus.”
                The king blinked at him, “I’ll have my knights start making flyers with your name on it as soon as I get back. Everyone will know your name,” he said. Of course, everyone would know his name, they just wouldn’t know whose face to associate it with.
                “My name?”
                Daeus nodded. “And what name would that be?”
                “Dark Evil Overlord Stanton, Ph. D,” the evil overlord bowed, his cape swooshing around the floor with the movement. “At your service.”
                “First command, oh ye who hath committed himself to my service, is to let me go,” Daeus replied bluntly.
                His grin grew wider. “No. I have my own command for you, Daeus. I have plans,” Stanton said, arrogance written on his brows. Not that Daeus could see anything else from his point of view.
                “Of course, you have a plan,” Daeus rolled his eyes and took a scone for himself. Still, he grimaced when he realized that it didn’t have chocolate in it. Imitation cherries. Shoving it aside, he reached for the pitcher. “Villains always come back with vengeance in their mind. Personally, I’d like it if you’d thrown this…feast…as a celebration of our friendship.” A disgusted face plastered itself onto Daeus as the liquid coming from the pitcher was black.
                “Tell me how the coffee is. It’s from the Southern Archipelago, harvested by the dwarves,” the evil overlord said as he sipped his own.
                The unfortunate king nearly choked. “Coffee?!” and he threw the glass as far as he was able. “How dare you try to poison me, treacherous one! You sicken me!”
                For his part, Stanton seemed genuinely offended. “Well, at least I don’t like raspberries.”
                “No.”
                Stanton laughed the most evil laugh Daeus had ever heard. “Oh yes. There’s not a raspberry in my castle, and I doubt that you’ll ever see one again.”
                Those facts had drawn a line in the sand, “You will pay for this, Stanton.”
                “Villains don’t deserve to pay for anything. Ice cream?”
                A troll thing walked over and plopped an oddly colored dollop of frozen goodness into Daeus’ bowl. “Is that poisoned too?”
                Stanton shrugged. “No need to poison you again. The raspberries you had before yesterday were; that’s how I got you here.” Daeus understood now. Clenching his fists, he vowed that this Stanton character would pay for destroying his raspberries.
                “Then what’s wrong with the ice cream?”
                “Nothing. It’s made from soy.”
                That explained the color. Daeus paled, “You are the ultimate defiler.”
                “At least I get the Medal of Honor in one department,” Stanton said, shoving more pancakes into his mouth. “Now, please. Eat.”
                Daeus would not. “Why am I here?”
                “Isn’t that obvious?”
                “No. It’s actually not. I have nothing of value that you could want. After the war with Thray, we have hardly any money—on the other hand, I’ve never met you.”
                Stanton stood and walked around the table, his hands ominously folded behind his back. Daeus vaguely wondered if he could put his own handcuffs on him. Villains always walked as if they too were captured, though because their hair was always black meant they were much more intimating. This villain was different, with blond hair. Weird.
                “I need your help, Daeus,” Stanton confessed, moving around behind Daeus. Because he was in a stool, Daeus simply pivoted where he sat, as if his chair could spin round and round. “I need what you do have of value.”
                Daeus scowled. “I will give you nothing.”
                Stanton’s face twisted into patterns of disgust. “Couldn’t you be a bit less cliché? Everyone says that!”
                This villain was a puzzle.
                Since Daeus couldn’t think of any other way to explain his impertinence, he merely shook his head. “Never.”
                Stanton’s eyes slanted into a V shape, his eyes boring holes into Daeus. “Unfortunately, Daeus, I don’t think you have any say in the matter.”
                “My friends will come for me, and when they do, they will destroy your castle with fire-breathing dragons!”
                After staring at him, the Evil Overlord gave a slight nod to his troll things. Daeus knew what the slight nod meant. And he said one thing, “I’m counting on it.”
                The troll things grabbed Daeus and dragged him back to the tower.
                For once, he’d like to see a villain do a big nod.

Back in his tower, Daeus paced the dark floors. I’m counting on it, Stanton had said. But what could he possibly have meant by that. Counting on what? That the dragons would come? Then he realized it. Stanton wanted the dragons, and he would only let Daeus go when he had them.
                Daeus stumbled to the floor, tripped by a book… It read, “El Conde de Montecristo en Española.”
                The Count of Monte Cristo…in Spanish. Daeus rolled his eyes. If Stanton wanted to torture Daeus, then he’d gone the completely wrong route.

Part 3
                The knights marched down the halls toward the stables, arguing. “I’m going to ride the dragons!” Snapper cried, pushing ahead. “I have the most experience with dragons, so clearly, I’ll ride the dragons.”
                Kate glanced at her. “But I’m the one who brought them in.”
                Another knight, Elizabeth, pulled out her wallet. “I actually have a dragon riding license.”
                Then the Wiser pushed ahead of them. “Only the smartest person here should ride the dragons. I’ll do it.”
                Everyone stopped talking at once. Snapper cocked her head at Josiah, “I thought that your younger brother was the intelligent one.”
                Although the Wiser’s younger brother was not a Knight, he did live in the castle. No one had decided whether that was a good or bad thing yet. “The younger Degrande only pretends to wiser.” Then the Wiser continued on. Even his frog seemed to be scowling. Kina suspected it was. “Besides, he only ever shows up to tell me the things I don’t need to know.”
                In the end, it came down to the knights having to share the dragons. Right as they were about to take off, Josiah’s brother strolled in, “Where are you guys going?”
                The Wiser glared at him, “We’re going on a secret stereotypical mission.”
                “Huh?”
                “It’s a writer thing.”
                And they took off.

It was night when they arrived. Five nights and a Wiser slipped off the dragons and glanced around them. The forest surrounding the castle walls was comprised off dead fir trees and tangling vines that threatened to trip and tap their backs in the wind.
                The Wiser whispered, “Everyone stay quiet. Here’s the plan…I hold off the troll things with the confetti arrows while you all sneak your way inside and find Daeus.”
                Kate shook her head, “No way. It’s too risky. The troll things will catch you.”
                “I’m the mentor character. It’s my job to be hit by the evil overlord’s minions and then die at the halfway mark of the story.”
                The Knights glared at him and silence reigned. Crickets chirped.
                “It’s our job as knights to despise clichés,” Snapper reminded him. “Think of a better plan.”
                “There’s no other way.”
                All the Knights recoiled as the Wiser disappeared in a poof of glitter. For a while they waited for the glitter to dissipate, and when it did, Snapper glanced at her fellow Knights. “Okay…I guess this means we wait for a signal?”

Part 4
                Noteste Estate: Dark Evil Overlord Stanton’s Office
                The Dark Lord reclined in his chair, sipping on a cup of coffee. Soon. Soon, he would have the dragons. He could almost smell them. Or maybe that was the coffee. Dragons smelled like coffee.
                Grinning to himself, he twisted around in his chair to admire his perfectly planned plot. The papers were perfectly aligned on his bill board. He just had to wait for those knights to arrive. Any time now. Soon. Very soon.
                KASLAM!
                Stanton jumped up, coffee spilling onto his dark robes. “How dare you, troll thing! Haven’t I told you to knock!”
                The troll things had an axe in his hands, “Sorry, Lord Stanton. The scouts have spotted dragons.”
                The Evil overlord forgot about his coffee for a moment. “Really? They’re here already? I mean…uh…yes. I knew that. Where exactly are they?”
                The troll thing shrugged. “Dunno. We saw them. That’s past tense. Now, we don’t see them.”
                Rubbing his eyes, Stanton pushed past his troll thing and climbed the stairs of the tower. “The troll things certainly are not known for their intelligence, are they?” He grumbled to himself, wiping coffee from his robes.
                When he reached the top of the stairs, he held up his gloved fist to knock on the wooden prison door. Then he stopped. He was an evil overlord. The Dark Evil Overlord, at that. He did not knock.
                Still, it was common courtesy to knock.
                But as he moved to knock, his fist remained stationary. Stuck in midair. “Oh, dear,” he hissed. It wasn’t the first time this had happened. Living a cliché…oh it was such a hard life.
                He barged through the door with his un-stuck fist. “Daeus!”
                The King stared up from the floor, having the giant book in his hands. He glanced at his fist, still stuck in midair. “Did it happen to you too?”
                Stanton rolled his eyes, “Don’t say a word more. Your friends are here, so come on.”
                Daeus hesitated. “What’s that on your shirt?”
                “Coffee. Now come on.” He was so close, and now his prisoner was being stubborn. It was infuriating.
                Daeus stood and shuffled over to the stairs. He went slowly enough that Stanton was half-tempted to push him down the stairs, but of course, when one is ransoming prisoners its best to keep them alive.
                They marched down the stairs in silence, and Daeus wished that there was at least a frog to break it. It was the first time in a while he had wished that the Wiser was here. He would’ve at least had raspberries to eat.
                At the bottom of the stairs, Daeus turned and faced Stanton. “I won’t go a foot further.”
                Stanton was glad he was wearing gloves. Not only did it make him more intimidating, but it also protected his palms from how hard he was clenching his fists. “Don’t defy me, Daeus. I will soon have your dragons, and then you will regret every second you annoyed me.”
                “I can’t let you use me against my friends. If you want dragons, then get them yourself.” Daeus stood firm, arms crossed.
                Stanton drew his sword. He’d had about enough of this.

Part 5
                The Wiser crept across the nicely clipped grass of the estate. Grass stained his cape, but he hoped it would help him blend in. He wasn’t ready to be caught just yet.
                All the better that it was night. To anyone looking, he would be nothing more than a glimmering shadow beneath the moonlight. Capes were cool like that. Of course, his beard kept getting underfoot.
                Finally, he made it to the curtain wall of the fortress. Hewn stone, gray and sharp, made the wall at least ten feet high. He gazed up at it. “Too high,” he mumbled. Of course, he wasn’t planning on climbing it.
                “Hey!” he called. He jumped and waved his hands. He shouted, “You, up there!”
                Troll things looked down. Seconds later, the alarm blared, and the castle erupted into life.
                Degrande drew his sword. “I’ve come to avenge King Daeus!”
                As floods of troll things raced towards him, he couldn’t help but wonder who would avenge him.

Part 6
                The Knights exchanged a glance.
                “What on earth is Josiah doing?” Hope questioned. No one answered.
                He fended off hordes of troll things with just his cane, all the while singing ‘Danny Boy’ at the top of his lungs. Honestly, it wasn’t quite as epic as it could’ve been if an orchestra was there, Kina thought.
                Then he stopped singing, and Snapper said, “I think we missed the signal!”
                Galvanized into a rushed action, the knights dashed toward the castle. Snapper suspected that all of the troll things in the kingdom were fighting Degrande. It was doubtful that even he could fend them all off. Even if he was depending on an ice cream sugar rush.
                The gates were open because of the rush of troll things, all of which were now swarming Josiah. But they forced themselves to move on. Kate led the charge toward the castle, sword first, even though that was probably entirely unnecessary…the troll things, as mentioned, were busy trying to conquer the legendary Wiser.
                When they were inside, they rushed to the entrance of the tower, cause really, why would someone keep their captive anywhere besides a tower? But they all stopped short at the hallway. For there, on the floor lay the limp form of King Daeus.
                Snapper and Kate exchanged a glance. There was some red substance on the floor, trailing from Daeus chest and pooling onto the floor.
                “Daeus!” Kina cried, running to him. “Nooo!!”
                “Is he…is he?” Snapper couldn’t finish her sentence.
                Kina knelt beside Daeus, checking his pulse. “Come on, Daeus. Come on!”
                Kate balled her fist around her sword. Stanton would pay for this.
                Then Kina looked up, brows furrowed. “Um…he has a pulse.”
                Everyone cocked their heads and ran over. That was impossible.
                “Daeus! Daeus! Can you hear me!” Kina repeated.
                Suddenly, his eyes blinked open. At first, he seemed confused, then he said. “Oh no. You all shouldn’t have come.”
                “What? Are you insane?!” Snapper shouted. “You nearly died! Look at you! It’s a wonder you’re still alive!”
                Slowly, Daeus sat up. “No. Not a wonder. This red stuff is ice cream. Raspberry ice cream…made…from…” he drifted off.
                “Made from what?” Kate was suspicious. If it wasn’t made from dairy, then it was obviously terrible.
                Daeus shivered. “Soy.”
                Everyone took a step back, revolted. Stanton…he would pay for this treachery.
                The King continued. “It disgusted me so much that as he poured it all over me, I fainted.”
                Kina nodded. “Well, at least you’re okay.”
                As they walked down the hall, Daeus couldn’t help but ask, “Um. How did you all get here so fast?”
                “We took the dragons.”
                The line of knights stopped short. “What?” he asked.
                “We took the dragons.”
                “Oh no,” Daeus grumbled, starting to run toward the exit. “We’ve got to hurry!”
                Although confused, Kate followed him, “Why? What’s wrong?”
                “The ice cream was a distraction. Stanton is after the dragons!”

Part 7
                Dark Evil Overlord Stanton crept through the Dark Forest surrounding his Dark Castle. The dragons were just around the corner, parked by the knights. Of course, they didn’t leave a guard.
                Excellent.
                “Hey there, Dragons,” he began, approaching them from in front. It was always bad luck to startle a dragon from behind. That’s how people ended being toast…or at least, having their chair melted. Unfortunate. Very unfortunate indeed.
                The Dragon turned to face him. Even though they didn’t recognize them, Kate’s training had paid off. They didn’t melt him immediately. Aviur glanced at Kai. Might as well keep this overlord alive if Master wanted him as a prisoner. After all, he was wearing the most cliché black cape that tagged him as an evil overlord.
                Aviur sniffed. He hated clichés.
                “Now. I want you two to allow me to ride both of you. Then you will help me destroy KeePer. Got it?”
                Aviur sniffed again. Was this guy serious? Not even King Daeus could touch the dragons without losing a cape or something else.
                Unfortunately for the Evil Overlord, he took the sniff as an ‘Okay’, and proceeded to mount the saddled dragon.
                And that’s when the sky started falling.
                At least…from Stanton’s point of view.

Part 8
                The Knights, not for the first time, wandered through the burnt forest, ashes marring their view. Daeus scowled, “Why does this always happen to us?”
                Kate shrugged. “At least we don’t have to arrest Snapper.”
                Snapper glanced at them, “Ahem. That was for the good of the country. I got us out of war!”
                Josiah, having defeated each of the troll things by teaching them writing tactics, looked at her. “And we all know how humble you are about it.”
                Daeus wandered from the group, scuffing his boots (still covered in soy ice cream) against the blackened soil. This was one of the many reason he didn’t want dragons…because they destroyed perfectly nice forests.
                But where was Stanton? He had to pay still for kidnapping him and the soy ice cream. Of course, the dragons might have already taken Stanton. Or Stanton had taken the dragons.
                With all the hope left in him, Daeus hoped that it was the former.
                Then out of the dust, the hulking forms of two dragons appeared. His heart leapt as he saw Stanton, subdued by the dragons. Almost in the literal sense.
                They were sitting on him, and Daeus grinned. It was Thray all over again.
                He knelt beside Stanton, who scowled back. “So, Evil Overlord, how does it feel to be a cliché?”

Part 9
                Former Dark Evil Overlord Stanton paced his dungeon. He could hear the pounding music of the knights as the celebrated the return of their king. And dragons, apparently.
                How disgusting that dragons defeated him! It was utterly humiliating.
                So humiliating that it reduced him to his knees. Now, he sat on the hay that served as the bed. He glanced up at the cell across from him.
                There was Thray, staring at him. “So…” said the rebel Thray, “Dragons?”
                Stanton could only manage one word. “Dragons.”

The End

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper
                  Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper

Grr. @kina-lamb

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper

Oh, and to anyone else who decides to read this and hasn’t read the 1st one, go to the first page of this topic and read that one first.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

katie
                      @lifeofkatie
                        • Total Posts: 137

@dragon-snapper – Ahhh!! So exciting!! I’m currently on Part 4 (started reading late last night!) This story is absolutely wonderful!!!!!! 😀 You captured King @daeus, @kina-lamb, @kate-flournoy & @emma-flournoy so perfectly!!! 😀 Now to resume my reading…

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 1352

@Dragon-Snapper AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I LOVE IT! XD XD XD Soy ice cream. *overflowing mirth* And this one had too many awesome lines to count too. Nice job. 😀 😀 😀
                          (@Daeus—have some extra dairy ice cream here, with un-poisoned rasperries. *it*)

Daeus
                          @daeus

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

I was planning to write right about now, but then this came up, and, well…I’m not disappointed I stopped to read. May the clichés never end!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
                            @daeus

@emma-flournoy *bows low, stroking cliché mustache* Much appreciated.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

DelightInLife
                              @delightinlife
                                • Total Posts: 124

@dragon-snapper The Count of Monte Cristo part was funny!! 🙂

I personally am dairy and gluten free but I don’t eat soy. 🙂 I like coconut milk ice cream. I just had some dairy-free cherry amaretto ice cream that was SO good! 🙂

Mariposa Aristeo
                                @mariposa
                                  • Total Posts: 335

@Dragon-Snapper 😀😀😀 If dragons smell like coffee, then they must stink (fellow coffee haters unite). And any story that includes glitter is automatically a plus in my book. Even though I’m not well acquainted with the KP staff yet, this still is hilarious. The only thing it’s missing is a dinosaur. 🙃

I love raspberries too.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 528 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >