The Last Jedi

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film The Last Jedi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

I’m just basically going to do what @kate-flournoy did with Rogue One. Has anybody seen The Last Jedi yet?! If you have, awesome! What did you think of it? If you haven’t, #1: go watch it, and #2: don’t come back to this thread until you’ve seen it as I’m thinking there’s probably going to be spoilers here.

Anyway, I think the movie was awesome! It was a bit deeper and more personal than most of the other movies. I have heard that other Star Wars fans are uncomfortable with that. But personally, I loved it!

@allison-grace  @supermonkey42  @dragon-snapper  @daughteroftheking  @christi-eaton  @everyone-else

• This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Joy.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

I’m disappointed, dearie, you forgot to tag me? @dekreel Or maybe you just didn’t know how big of a Star Wars fan I am…hm.

Anyway, I saw the Last Jedi last Friday and I LOVED it. I think it was an incredible movie, and even though it drew a lot of parallels to the old movies, I think it was amazing and nostalgic. I had no idea what was going to happen and couldn’t predict anything. Definitely a new favorite movie of mine.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Joy
        @dekreel

@that_writer_girl_99  Sorry, didn’t know you were a Star Wars fan! Just a Doctor Who fan 😉

It did have a lot of parellels!

So what do you think?

1. Is Kylo Ren going to stay the Emperor, or is he going to join Rey? He’s very unstable
          2. Is Finn going to fall for Rey or Rose? XD

Ben Powell
          @supermonkey42
            • Total Posts: 273

@dekreel Yup! Saw it the day it came out.

In my opinion, The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars yet! I was more excited for that movie than I’ve ever been for a movie before, and it still way exceeded my expectations. To me it seemed original and fresh, as well as unexpected. Also, Star Wars has to have a certain amount of weirdness, and this movie had plenty of it. 🙂

Hmm… I suppose I can’t say too much about it or I would spoil it for other people. 😉

In answer to your question…

1. I don’t think Kylo Ren will join Rey. He had a chance and he refused it.

2. I don’t think Finn will fall for either if them! I (personally) think that Finn will play a big part in Episode IX and end up sacrificing himself for the Resistance, in contrast to TFA where he was trying to run away.

A Kapeefer for life!
            Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Hannah R.
            @his-instrument
              • Total Posts: 229

I KNEW THIS THREAD HAD TO BE ON HERE SOMEWHERE! AT LAST I HAVE FOUND IT!

I went to see The Last Jedi on Tuesday, and I LOVED it. First of all, it was so visually appealing– the effects were stunning. Second of all, I really want one of those frozen fox critters, as well as one of those space horses that they freed on that one planet (I can’t remember what it was called). Third, I have a lot more general thoughts.

In answer to your questions, @dekreel:

1) I really hope Kylo eventually joins with the good guys. However, that would make him just another Darth Vader, and I can see how Star Wars might want to avoid that. I think fans love him too much though to accept a death in darkness, though, so they might end up redeeming him somehow. I was so excited when he killed Snoke, and so disappointed when he revealed his motives… *sigh*

2) Personally, I agree with @supermonkey42 (by the way, your username makes me laugh… is there a story behind that?). I would rather see Finn sacrifice himself for the Resistance than fall in love, especially because I thought Rose was a kind of unnecessary character. If he does fall in love, I think Rose is a better option than Rey, especially because the end seemed to hint at a future for Rey and Poe, which I could get behind. (Besides, Rey and Poe are both three-letter names, and Rose and Finn are both four-letter names, so obviously they have to pair up that way. 😛 ) I was ready for Finn to sacrifice himself in this movie, and I thought it was kind of stupid when Rose “saved” him. I’m not sure I agree with her statement about “it’s not about fighting what you hate, it’s about saving what you love.” Yes, well… it all worked out in the end, but when you fight what you hate, you do it because you want to save what you love. Finn was trying to save what he loved (the Resistance). It’s a pretty quote, but I don’t think it’s completely accurate.

Other thoughts:

1) Whoa! The little boy at the end! I love him! I can’t wait to see how he plays into the Star Wars universe. I think they need more little kids. I’m tired of the early-twenties protagonists. Hopefully he’s a better actor than young Anakin Skywalker. 🙂

2) Overall, I think Luke Skywalker was a good touch in this movie, because he defied expectations the whole time– yet never acted outside of his character.

3) Maybe that’s the thing I loved most about this movie. Everyone stayed true to their character the whole way through. Nothing was predictable, but after each action, I could say, “Yep– that fits with what I know about them.”

4) Mazel tov, Disney, on another well-done film.

Does anybody have any other predictions for what will happen in the next film?

@that_writer_girl_99

YA Fantasy Writer
              Obsessive Character Namer
              Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Ben Powell
              @supermonkey42

@his-instrument A story behind my username? Well, yes, but it’s not a very interesting one. I used to play a game on the Internet that had a character called a Super Monkey, so I used that for my username. I guess it just stuck. 🙂 By the way, I take it from your username that you’re a musician? Maybe?

Yes, I totally agree with you on the boy at the end! He was my favorite character in the movie besides Luke. I’ve seen it twice now and both times I almost cried at the end when he’s staring into the sky. (And trust me, I never cry at movies.)

Btw, the frozen foxes are called vulptexes, the horses are fathiers, and the planet is Canto Bight.

As for Episode IX, I think there will probably be a time jump between TLJ and IX, because of Leia. Carrie Fisher is gone, and LucasFilm has confirmed that they will not use CGI or other actors to continued Leia’s story. So, either she somehow suddenly dies between the two movies (I hope not!) or the next one takes place years later.

A Kapeefer for life!

Hannah R.
                @his-instrument
                  • Total Posts: 229

@supermonkey42 That makes sense. Childhood memories make great usernames and passwords. 🙂

Yes, I am a musician. In fact, music is my major, so what used to be my hobby is now pretty much all I do. But I love it. I wanted a username that united the hobbies I’m passionate about (music and writing) with my spiritual passion– to allow Christ to work through me in all things. I love the verse in 2nd Timothy 2 where Paul says, “In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes, and some for common use. Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work” (2 Timothy 2:21-22).

Maybe I should start a forum thread for people to explain their usernames. That would be fun!

As for the vulpatexes, fathiers, and Canto Bight…You are clearly a major Star Wars fan. My sister knows those things, so she fills me in when I need terminology.  I just watch the movie with my mouth open in astonishment, then go home and assess the characters. But I think it’s cool that the foxes are called vulpatexes, because “vulpa” is “fox” in Latin (although I don’t know what “tex” means).

Hmm… that’s an interesting thought about the timing of the next movie. I assumed it would take place directly after, and perhaps we’d never see Leia, but we’d see her ship destroyed or something. If they choose to have it take place years later, I’ll be seriously disappointed because the little boy will no longer be quite as small and adorable.

But do you wonder if all those kids on Canto Bight had the Force? That would be pretty cool, if there was a group of children strong in the Force living in hiding.

At any rate, I can’t wait for the next movie! (Which is sad. Because I have to wait. Two years. *sighs*)

YA Fantasy Writer
                  Obsessive Character Namer
                  Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Ben Powell
                  @supermonkey42

@his-instrument That’s a cool verse! I don’t remember hearing it before. I play cajon as a hobby, but I don’t think that’ll be my profession.

Yeah, I think those kids were part of what Luke meant when he said he would not be the last Jedi. He was talking about Rey, but he knew there were others who would be “Jedi,” even if they’re not trained by a Jedi Knight.

I don’t know if you guys have heard that they’re making another Star Wars trilogy after this one that won’t have anything to do with the Skywalkers. Maybe the boy will be one of the main characters. Who knows?

I just had an interesting thought – Luke was much more powerful than Snoke. Snoke thought he was powerful because he could connect the minds of Rey and Kylo, but Luke could generate a tangible representation of himself across empty space. If Snoke rose to power because of his Force powers, then Luke could have chosen to rule the galaxy or act as its protector and stop anyone who tried to do what Snoke did. But because he thought he was a failure, he didn’t even try. Kind of sad really.

A Kapeefer for life!

introvert_girl
                    @introvert_girl
                      • Total Posts: 153

@dekreel AAAA star wars!!! I finally got to see it yesterday. 😀
                      Honestly my thoughts about the whole thing are a bit scattered because I was so excited about the Force Bond being real. I’ve been hoping for TWO YEARS it would be. *squeaks in delight*
                      (Also that Rey would not be a Skywalker, Solo, Kenobi, or whatever. But I wasn’t as surprised in that regard.)

Overall, I enjoyed it, but the film just felt very heavy, like there was too much story crammed into the film, and so it felt a bit messy. But this is my opinion after seeing it once. I may have a different perception after seeing it again.

@his-instrument
                      Predictions? I think that the balance of the force will be in Kylo embracing the Light and Rey the dark.

@supermonkey42
                      I had the same thought about the boy and the new trilogy. Either that, or perhaps he’ll be a part of a new television series to come?

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper
                        • Total Posts: 3515

I can now join this conversation! @dekreel @supermonkey42 @his-instrument @introvert-girl

Introvert-girl Now that is an interesting prediction. Especially since Kylo has always had conflict… Then there was that scene where Rey was in lessons with Luke, and he said ‘You went right to the dark.’

Ben–what were those cute things with the big eyes called?

And that kid… I can’t wait to see more of him.

And I’m actually a little annoyed with Rose. I do not want a love triangle. *groan*

@ethryndal
                        (OVER HERREEEE>>>>) STAR WARS convo.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ben Powell
                        @supermonkey42

@dragon-snapper

They are called porgs! (If my spell checker will let me type it 🙂 )

Interesting fact: the reason there are porgs is that the real island that they filmed the movie on was covered in puffins. They found out that it was impossible to physically remove them all, and digitally removing them would cause problems, so they digitally altered them into porgs. Of course, a few are puppets (such as the ones on the Falcon.)

A Kapeefer for life!

Joy
                          @dekreel

@supermonkey42  Wha?! Oh, that’s so cool! Good idea, too! The porgs were totally a hit. They’re so funny XD

Koryn Koch
                            @koryn-koch
                              • Total Posts: 39

I watched the movie yesterday and I have to say that it was wonderful! I felt thought that they could have ended the whole saga there, it didn’t resolve anything but it gave a ton of hope, especially with the boy at the end (I LOVED THAT PART!). I do want Rey and Poe to get together ( and I agree that Finn should sacrifice himself, but if he doesn’t I really think he and Rey should just be friends and maybe he should go with Rose) but I also kind of want Rey and Kylo to get together. The problem is I really don’t want them to make Kylo good because it wouldn’t feel realistic at this point. So it’s kind of a dilemma. I really loved the mind linking thing between Kylo and Rey and I hope that it’s continued in some way. One last thing is that I felt it was really cheesy and forced to have Yoda come back. Yoda’s time is done and though he was a great character please Disney, don’t stretch it on forever.

introvert_girl
                              @introvert_girl
                                • Total Posts: 153

@supermonkey42 Really? I didn’t know that about the puffins. Interesting 🙂

@koryn-koch
                                I actually thought they used Yoda well, in teaching Luke something. It also showed us that Luke was stubborn enough that only things from his past could sway his mind. (Yoda, and R2/Leia when he played the old recording.) I think it also served well as a contrast to Kylo and his obsession with destroying everything from his past.

@dragon-snapper
                                I guess I’m in the tiny camp of people who actually liked Rose. (My sisters weren’t a fan of her either.)

And I’ve had a realization, or I just noticed a bit of foreshadowing they put in (at least that’s how I’ve interpreted it). In the scene where Rose stops Finn from sacrificing himself, and says something along the lines of “That’s not how we’ll win the war; killing what we hate, but saving what we love” I think this could serve as foreshadowing for Rey and Kylo. She won’t win by killing what she hates (Kylo Ren) but by saving what she loves (Ben Solo). And again, I think Kylo’s need to destroy everything from his past (what he hates) is a neat addition to this.

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

itisastarrynight
                                @itisastarrynight
                                  • Total Posts: 134

@dekreel The first time I watched it I was disappointed. But after seeing it a second time, it was AWESOME! I still like The Force Awakens better, though. I think the main thing for me was (SPOILERS) that when Rey + Ben were confronted by snoke and vice versa, that scene was not only my favourite part, it was tense and climactic, all of Rey’s and Ben’s desires face to face with the big bad, there was tension and awe and personal stakes were at hand. It felt so climactic, I almost wish it could have ended there, it was so much more epic than the real climax and that left it feeling a little meh, it just didn’t build well after that.
                                  On a side note, I think Kylo wont switch easily as he is a main antagonist and we need him to be such, but in the end I do expect a redemption for him.
                                  Of course I think #Reylo is real, but from what I’ve seen I think Finn has more feelings for Rey than Rose.
                                  Also, the mineral salt plant was visually awesome!!

I can't believe it's not butter!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >