The Chat Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 6,346 through 6,360 (of 6,581 total)
  • Author
    Ellette Giselle
    @ellette-giselle
      • Total Posts: 1097

@freed_and_redeemed

Sounds good!

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

The Ducktator
      @theducktator
        • Total Posts: 725

@freed_and_redeemed

CONGRATULATIONS ON BROKEN SHACKLES!!!!!!🥳🥳🥳🥳 And sorry about the braces. Those are miserable.

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

Koshka
        @koshka
          • Total Posts: 1558

@freed_and_redeemed

AHHHHHH!

*Throws confetti and glitter everywhere*

Congratulations! Two books in two years? That’s so exciting.

Aww, you’re welcome, and I’ve loved getting to “meet” you here in the kingdom. Say hi to Leon and Riker for me.

Btw, my sister and I were playing with a random scene that had several of our character’s reactions to time travel and running into post war Leon. So technically a short fanfic already exists with your characters.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

HighScribe
          @highscribeofaetherium
            • Total Posts: 2455

@freed_and_redeemed

That’s AWESOME, congrats!

Home is where your massive, overflowing collection of LEGO bricks is.

Euodia
            @euodia-vision
              • Total Posts: 1308

@freed_and_redeemed

YAY THAT’S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h
                • Total Posts: 4732

@koshka oh that’s hilarious

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Esther
                @esther-c
                  • Total Posts: 3428

@anyone

(I’m posting this here cuz I don’t want to make a whole new topic 😛 )

I’ve heard mixed opinions on this, so I wanted to hear what y’all think. Do you find it annoying to read stuttering when it’s written into dialogue?

I ask that because some people suggest to indicate that the character was stuttering by the dialogue tag. The problem is, my character stutters often, but it’s only when he’s nervous. It’s like an indication of what he’s feeling without saying it. I feel like it would get redundant to use the word “stuttered,” but I don’t want to annoy my readers by writing the stutter out either.

Any thoughts?

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

whaley
                  @whalekeeper
                    • Total Posts: 3146

@esther-c

I find stuttering very annoying to read when it’s written in the dialogue every time the character speaks. But you can write it out if the character doesn’t talk that way 24/7, since it’s less to see on the page. Maybe you write out the stuttering when it’s serious, and mention it in the tag if it’s a normal part of conversation for him, i.e. hesitation before saying something.

Alternatives for “he stuttered”: He tripped/stumbled over his words, stammered, paused a few times, lost track of thought. :]

“Everything is a mountain”

freedom
                    @freed_and_redeemed
                      • Total Posts: 658

@theducktator @highscribeofaetherium @euodia-vision

Thank y’all so much!!! <3 And yes, they’re a pain, but I’m doing better every day, so that’s good :3

@koshka

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 💖💖💖

and…ahem…where is this fanfic???👀

I’m starting to get plans for the 3rd book, plans most of y’all don’t know…and maybe I should keep it that way…keep the 3rd book more of a secret than the first two👀

well, except @mineralizedwritings…she has some of the secrets😂😂 and no kidnapping any characters, Min. I mean it XXD

What is strength?
                      Strength, my son, is being who God has called you to be.

RAE
                      @rae
                        • Total Posts: 3561

@keilah-h @whoever-cares

I have a scene you might possibly like.

“What do you want?” inquired a strange masculine voice behind him.

Nahim swung around, his crystal sword hitting a breastplate, damaging the paint. Nahim leaned back in surprise. This man seemed to be wearing mithaln! The man, his face covered by a helmet of the style commonly used by the small family-clan Lorthur, grabbed Nahim’s blade with his gauntleted fist, pushing it away. Nahim resisted, but the man was stronger than even Mandin, despite his build being like Nahim’s. The sword was twisted from Nahim’s hand. Taking the weapon, the man simply deactivated it, holding it in his hand.

“Who are you?” Nahim demanded.

“I believe you are in my base. Who are you? Sheesh, save a Realn’s life and all they do is be rude!”

“Nahim. Now who are you? Are you Krogen?” Nahim ignored the last statement.

“Mayhem? I kinda like that name,” said the mysterious man.

“Not mayhem, Nahim.”

“Yep, definitely Mayhem.”

“No, it’s ‘mayhem’ with an ‘n’ not mayhem itself!”

“Nahim? Sounds like mayhem to me. You sure your name isn’t Mayhem?”

“I’m sure, now are you Krogen?” nahim asked, agitated

“I’m the only Krogen I know of. Why?”

“Lord Nahor–“

“Oh, that! You’re here to tell me Lord Nahor would like to speak to me about my little antics with his ships. Right?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, well, I won’t be coming, so he can put away the golden silverware.”

“Golden silverware? If it’s golden, why is it silver?”

“I’m not talkin’ about color, Kid! I’m talkin’ about the stuff it’s made of!”

“But if it’s–“

“Oh, forget it! So, Mayhem,” Krogen pushed past him, pulling up a chair and sitting on it backwards. “What do you think of my one out of fifty trophy room?”

“You’ve killed a lot of Realn.”

“Oh, yeah, but that was a long time ago. Don’t do that anymore, especially with people so young and inexperienced as you!”

“I’ve met battle before, plenty,” Nahim replied aggravated.

“Listen Kid, you aren’t experienced in my book until you,” He began counting on his fingers, “Earn your hundredth battle scar, hang up your 2,000th war trophy, fought in 4,000 battles, duels and such, and reached 1,000 years old.” Krogen waved his four fingers close to Nahim’s face, “Four points you don’t have.”

This guy is ridiculous! Nahim thought.

“And if you have any more arguments about this experience business, let me show you something.” Krogen rose from his seat, dropping Nahim’s sword. Walking towards Nahim, Krogen reached forward, grabbing his arm and bashed him into the wall, knocking trophies from their mounts. It happened so fast that Nahim had basically no time react. Nahim picked himself up from the bed of helmets as Krogen sat back down. How’d he do that? That hurt through my armor and Mithweve!

Krogen crossed his arms. “Sit,” He motioned to a second chair with his head. Nahim obeyed, choosing to play along with this strange fellow. “So, Kid, tell me about yourself.”

“Why’d you sabotage Lord Nahor’s training exercise?”

“If I answer, will you tell me about yourself?”

Nahim hesitated, but agreed.

“I did because my schedule has been mostly free and boring for the past 1,000 years. Now how old are you?”

1,000 years! I’m talking to a High Blood! But he acts nothing like the High Bloods I knew. “20.”

“Hah! I knew you were just a kid! I’m 20,000!”

“So you were around in the Ancient Ages!” Nahim cried, shocked.

“No, I’m a Fettian.”

“So?”

“I don’t belong to this galaxy. Where I come from, everything is a lot more technologically advanced, and my eight foot height is just about average.”

“Foot?”

“Oh, that would be your silly 4 Steps.”

Nahim nodded.

“So…Mayhem, would you like to tell me…why you don’t wear an exoskeleton?”

“A what?”

“Exoskeleton. It’s the thing that gives me my strength. Why don’t you have one?”

Nahim shrugged. “Why won’t you come back with me to at least talk to Lord Nahor?”

“I don’t feel like it. Would you tell me which alien gave you your red eyes?”

“Going to Lord Nahor would give you something to do.”

“You’re giving me something to do, Kid.”

Nahim grabbed his sword from Krogen’s grasp, activating the blade. “Will you just come with me?”

“Nah, told ya I don’t feel like it.” Nahim readied himself as Krogen rose from his seat. Krogen reached forward, taking hold of Nahim’s arm, pulling him forward, and going behind him. “Sorry about this Kid.” Nahim felt a blow on the back of his head, and remembered no more.

“Gargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@rae haha that was great!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Power
                          @power
                            • Total Posts: 298

@rae

Like it!

You will love what you spend time with.

Ellette Giselle
                            @ellette-giselle
                              • Total Posts: 1097

@rae

Oh that was so good! Love it!

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h

@anyone who cares

so I take a ten minute break from typing up my story and what do I do?

watch videos of frog calls for like 5 minutes

w h y

whaley
                                @whalekeeper
                                  • Total Posts: 3146

@loopylin @mineralizedwritings @savannah_grace2009 @rae @freed_and_redeemed @anyone

I am so happy right now guys 👀 I found the perfect ending to my project. Like, I just can’t right now. And I won’t say what it is because the joy is in the foreshadowed surprise, but aagh – and it came from my plot board!! All I had to do was look at what was set up for the character, and give them the agency to squelch their flaws in the best way possible. It’s bittersweet and just open-ended enough to not be disappointing, I think.

Also I have never-ever-ever seen an ending like this before. Ever. That might be because the character arc is unconventional for a protagonist? I genuinely feel something when thinking about this, and many sacrificial scenes don’t get through to me because they can be overly stereotypical, but this one is so personalized to the character.

Sorry, I just want to share a bit of the excitement. Anyone have their own project updates?

“Everything is a mountain”

Viewing 15 posts - 6,346 through 6,360 (of 6,581 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >