The Chat Chat

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ The Chat Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 5,386 through 5,400 (of 5,673 total)
  • Author
    freedom
    @freed_and_redeemed
      • Total Posts: 341

@esther-c @mineralizedwritings @godlyfantasy12 @euodia-vision @smiley @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @rae @savannah_grace2009 @grcr @whalekeeper @acancello @keilah-h @anyone-else-lol

Soooo Iā€™ve been really thinking latelyā€¦and Iā€™m really curious to kinda see everyoneā€™s opinions on which MC in Freedomā€™s Fire is their fav.

So (and Iā€™m pretty sure I know some of yā€™allā€™s opinions XD) if yā€™all had to choose between themā€¦

Do you prefer

Leon

OR

Riker

Ā 

Iā€™m just really wanting to see everyoneā€™s opinions, and if yā€™all could, Iā€™d like to see WHY that MC is your fav.

Yā€™all are the best <3

author_katelyn_douglas on Instagram
      Freedom's Fire set to release Spring/Summer 2024

freedom
      @freed_and_redeemed

@loopylin @highscribeofaetherium @lightoverdarkness6 Forgot to tag yā€™allšŸ« 

ā¬†ļøā¬†ļøā¬†ļø

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2803

@freed_and_redeemed

Oh, interesting questionā€¦

Well my kneejerk reaction is Riker because I feel so bad for him but honestly itā€™s got to be Leon.

Hereā€™s a couple reasons why:

Leon feels realistic. Heā€™s lost his spouse, been in the concentration camp, and now has to start over. It makes sense he might become a alcoholic.

Leonā€™s character arc covers a lot of ground. He has a lot of things happen to him in life, and he has a lot of normal emotions because of it. From missing his wife, to loving his children, and hating Riker and God, he feels a lot of things over the course of the book. I can only relate to a character well if I know where there passions lie (Hence why I canā€™t fully connect with Luke Skywalker lol, he doesnā€™t really care about much)

Leonā€™s anger is pretty justified. Not that he should have his back turned on God, but after having been through what he has been throughā€¦ a lot of people would react that way.

Yā€™know the thing is that thereā€™s a lot of your characters that I like, like Riker, because I feel so bad for them! But Leon is the one I relate to. he seems the most real to me. šŸ™‚

ćøć³ćÆć€€ć‹ć£ć“ć„ć„ć€€ć§ć™ļ¼

-GRCR-
          @grcr
            • Total Posts: 958

@freed_and_redeemed

*thinks for a short minute*

Riker is interesting, but I definitely like Leon more. Aaannndddā€¦. my reasons are basically the same as Minā€™s. šŸ˜Š

šŸ¤ Ira | Jara | Evelyn | Flaz | Blaine šŸ¤

freedom
            @freed_and_redeemed

@mineralizedwritings

Thank you for the very beautiful response!! <3 Thatā€™s exactly the kind of thing I was looking foršŸ˜‚

I really love how Leon has grown, bc when I originally started writing his story he felt so fake and I struggled writing him so much because I couldnā€™t relate to everything he went through, but as Iā€™ve grown Iā€™ve realized that all of us can at least relate to him a littleā€¦I mean, weā€™ve all questioned God at some point and weā€™ve all dealt with loss in some way or another (even if itā€™s not at his level!)ā€¦so that really helped me make him real and made it so much easier for me to write him.

Ā 

and it makes me so happy to know that readers can/will be able to relate to my charactersšŸ’•

Whaley
              @whalekeeper
                • Total Posts: 2637

@freed_and_redeemed

I honestly donā€™t think I can answer that, lol.

For me, the two have very similarly structured POVs and voices ā€“ which is totally a stylistic thing since they are supposed to parallel each other. But that makes it harder for me to choose XD

The main difference is their internal struggles. I also canā€™t say I enjoy one conflict over the other, because they are very universal and closely entwined. Itā€™s choosing an arc of self-forgiveness vs. forgiving others ā€“ and I think I relate more to the latter, but even then, having a low self-esteem feeds into the former.

So I donā€™t like either voice better than the other, butā€¦ okay, Iā€™m going to say Leon because I think we need more POVs from the forgiver.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

freedom
                @freed_and_redeemed

@grcr Ty for the response!! Iā€™m so glad yā€™all can relate to Leon <3

freedom
                  @freed_and_redeemed

@whalekeeper I appreciate your honestyšŸ˜‚ Yess, Iā€™ve begun to see how the two of them parallel each other as Iā€™ve started writing (and it wasnā€™t originally on purpose, fyišŸ˜†) so I see what you mean.

Thx for the response tho!! <3

Koshka
                    @koshka
                      • Total Posts: 1428

@freed_and_redeemed

Ooof. Itā€™s so hard to pick a favorite character. XD Especially when I havenā€™t actually read the book book yet.

As you know, I do like Leon. He was my first favorite, when I first met them. He also reminds me of other characters I have long adored (Natan Israeli, Judah Ben-Hur). At times I donā€™t enjoy his arc very much, because heā€™s hurting himself and others, but Iā€™m also an author, so I understand (and might do the same to my characters).

Riker isā€¦Riker. He has a love for kids and a desire to do right that resonates, even if that desire doesnā€™t always come from the right place. He is, at times, the more Christlike of the two, which makes me want to shake Leon on occasion XD. He is such a flawed and broken character, dealing with pressures that shouldnā€™t be, and yet tries so hard to do right. For that I will always appreciate him.

I did prefer Leon at first, but now theyā€™re pretty much equal. I donā€™t personally relate to Rikerā€™s abuse, or Leonā€™s anger against God, but I do understand them. and they both break my heart, thank you very much.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

freedom
                      @freed_and_redeemed

@koshka

Tysm for the response!! <3

I also love the honesty and I honestly love to see how you love them both for different reasonsšŸ’– and yesss, Riker loves kids so much, which is adorablešŸ„°

Ā 

He is, at times, the more Christlike of the two, which makes me want to shake Leon on occasion XD

šŸ˜‚That got me XD

Ā 

I apologizeā€¦arenā€™t breaking hearts what all writers are best at??? šŸ’•šŸ˜­šŸ˜†

Whaley
                        @whalekeeper
                          • Total Posts: 2637

@freed_and_redeemed

Yeah, ofc, to everything you said šŸ˜‚

I donā€™t personally relate to Rikerā€™s abuse, or Leonā€™s anger against God, but I do understand them.

I second Koshkaā€™s point! Thatā€™s how I would summarize my opinion.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

freedom
                          @freed_and_redeemed

@whalekeeper I love how yā€™all may not completely relate to them, but you understand them.

Ā 

Wow, this is giving me such a confidence boostšŸ˜Ž

XD

Koshka
                            @koshka
                              • Total Posts: 1428

@freed_and_redeemed

I apologizeā€¦arenā€™t breaking hearts what all writers are best at??? šŸ’•šŸ˜­šŸ˜†

What?!! Of course not!!!!!! *Smirk*

Wow, this is giving me such a confidence boostšŸ˜Ž

Glad we could help XD

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

freedom
                              @freed_and_redeemed

@koshka

Glad we could help XD

Yesss, thank yā€™all for all of the help šŸ’•šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Ā 

now to just figure out what to do next in my WIPšŸ« šŸ˜†

Iā€™m on Chapter 10 rn; Iā€™m planning on Chapter 12 being where everything really starts to come to the climax, being that Chapter 12 will mark exactly one year (in the book timeline) since Aadelheideā€™s death and will thus begin Leonā€™s total plunge into hatred/alcoholism and Rikerā€™s plunge intoā€¦well, Rikerā€™s already struggling šŸ˜… Basically, Chapter 12 will mark when they both enter into the darkest points of their lives.

But Iā€™m trying to figure out what to do with the two chapters beforehand. I currently have Riker talking with Ezekiel but other than that Iā€™m going blank, ooof

Ā 

sorry for the rantšŸ˜…

freedom
                                @freed_and_redeemed

@koshka @elishavet-pidyon @smiley @godlyfantasy12 @loopylin @whalekeeper @keilah-h @lightoverdarkness6 @mineralizedwritings @anyone-else-heh-I-can-think-XD

I have this possible scene for Leon/Rikerā€™s 3rd novel!!!

Thereā€™s probably more to this scene, but I havenā€™t written the rest of it yet and wanted to share what I have so farāœØ

I love them so much yā€™allšŸ˜‚

Ā 

East Germany, 1952

ā€œOur church numbers are dwindling; people are afraid to even come to church. And those who havenā€™t been to church before are either afraid or antagonistic to the teachings of Christ. You have no idea how much of a blessing it is that both of you are here.ā€

Leon smiled faintly at Nikolai. ā€œWe learned that people needed God here, so we came.ā€

ā€œItā€™s a grave danger,ā€ the young pastorā€™s dark eyebrows furrowed together, ā€œand both of you could be arrested if the authorities learn that you are both here illegally and to help grow a church that refuses to buckle to communism. You two smuggled Bibles here!ā€

Riker looked up from where he arranged such Bibles, separating each Bible by language. He rose a playful eyebrow. ā€œWouldnā€™t be the first time I did something ā€œillegalā€ under not so good leaders.ā€

With everything that had been done for themā€”everything God had sacrificedā€”the least Leon felt they could do was help people that needed the truth that saved both Leon and Rikerā€™s lives. ā€œItā€™s the least we can do.ā€

Nikolai faced Leon with a small, sad smile. ā€œYou could both be arrested. And, well, the Soviets are still furious about the war even though it ended so many years agoā€¦if they found out Rikerā€™s pastā€¦ā€

The rest of his words were left hanging, unsaid. But they were understood by all three men. Leon lowered his voice to a quiet whisper. ā€œIt wouldnā€™t be pretty.ā€

Nikolai nodded, drumming his fingers on his oak desk. ā€œShot at best, a Gulag at the worst. It wouldnā€™t matter that Riker is an American citizen, not to them. Just knowing that he was in the Schutzstaffel would be enough for them to justify sending him to a Gulag.ā€

Leon glanced at his friend; his brown eyes met Rikerā€™s dark blue. Leon stood and strode over to where Riker stood, offering his help sorting Bibles.

Nikolai released a deep breath and stood. ā€œI will be right back, gentlemen. I have something I must take care of.ā€

The door closed behind Nikolai, and Leon faced Riker. ā€œMaybe we should get you out of here.ā€

Riker faced him and raised an eyebrow; he set one of the Bibles down with a quiet thud. ā€œNo. Why would we-?ā€

ā€œIf they found out about what youā€™veā€”ā€

ā€œIf anyone needs to leave, itā€™s you, Leon. Youā€™re the only one your kids have left other than Louisa, and we both know sheā€™s aging.ā€

ā€œIā€™m not the one they would kill in a heartbeat.ā€

ā€œThey could.ā€

ā€œYou have a family-ā€œ

ā€œAnd you have kids that have no one to depend on but you,ā€ Riker set a hand on the table, slightly leaning against it; his blue eyes filled with determination and concern, ā€œso itā€™s either you leave, or we both stay.ā€

Leon crossed his arms and stared at him for a long moment; he finally let out a sigh. ā€œIsaiahā€™s rightā€¦we do argue like brothers.ā€

One small corner of Rikerā€™s mouth turned up in a smile; he chuckled and turned back to sorting the Bibles. Leon picked up one of the German Bibles, gently running his hand over the leather cover. ā€œā€¦Did you ever think either of us would be here now?ā€

ā€œNo,ā€ Riker admitted, ā€œI thought you were going to kill me.ā€

ā€œI wanted to, for a long time.ā€ Leon whispered; he set the Bible he held with the other Bibles translated into German. ā€œSame as I didnā€™t want anything to do with God for over a year.ā€

ā€œAnd I thought God wanted nothing to do with me.ā€

Leon smiled. ā€œTurns out we were both wrong.ā€

ā€œThank God.ā€ Riker whispered.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

and I think Iā€™ve got something planned for Nikolaiā€¦hehā€¦hehā€¦hehšŸ«¢šŸ˜

Viewing 15 posts - 5,386 through 5,400 (of 5,673 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >