The Adonial Saga

Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    RAE
    @rae
      • Total Posts: 3008

@jonas

Where’s the ‘oo’ sound(s)?

TheArcaneAxiom
      @thearcaneaxiom
        • Total Posts: 1250

@jonas

I’d have to look back over all my words so far, but I know that the name ‘Thulac” has it unvoiced. I’m guessing it varies depending on the word, like in English.

Ok cool!

Okay, that makes sense. Do you have any tips on what words I should create? So far, I’ve pretty much just been creating words as I’ve needed them, but do you have another good way to go about it?

Essentially like I was saying. Just start with very basic concrete concepts. Like “plant”, which then you can turn into “plantree” and “bulant” for tree and bush, which are more specific sub-concepts. Then you can get more creative in how these different concepts base concepts may be combined. Once again, what is the immediate environment of these people when this language was coming about. What did they need to pay attention to?

Here’s an example. Their are two forest dwelling peoples, the Berryseers, and the Nutdiggers. They are both exposed to a whole lot of color in the forest, but is color a detail worth noting? The Berryseers look for the different colored berries, which blend in to their environments, but with an off hue, so subtlety of color is an important thing to know for the Berryseers, so they have words for the different colors. The Nutdiggers on the other hand, look more for the physical shape of a nut, and they could care less about the color, so they don’t have words for that.

So start making a bunch of words for basic concrete concepts, then bonus points if you can ground those concepts in what is important to the locals where the language originated. After that, combine these concepts in all sorts of ways, again in the manner that would be important to the locals. Then you can add a hint of chaos, because no natural language is going to be 100% consistent.

Nine is an important number in this culture, so I kind of like having the number system the way it is, because you count up to nine and then start over. Aside from nine Eivir, there’s also 27 runes, nine of which are vowels. Interestingly, I’ve noticed a little submotif popping up where one of the nine things is different from the other eight. (The king among the Eivir, and the ‘Y’ rune among the other vowels.)

Alright, fair enough!

They probably originally developed for carving into stone or wood, but at this point in history, they would use paper. I’m guessing that letters would naturally evolve to become more curved once people were writing rather than carving them, so I might make curved variations as well, although the squarish versions will probably remain the more formal version, sort of like printing versus cursive.

Yeah, that’s essentially what would happen.

And don’t worry, I most definitely will have planets with different number systems! I really like number symbolism, so I’ll be playing around with other number motifs. Of all my planets, Adonial is the least out-there in terms of worldbuilding. Ildin for example has some pretty crazy stuff. (I’ve actually been thinking about pivoting to focus on that project. I have more emotional attachment to this one, so there’s more pressure to get it right, and I’ve just kind of stalled. I feel more prepared in general to work on Ildin.) I’m not sure what number system I would use there. The magic system has 18 powers, but that’s kind of high, so I might go with 6.

Alright, cool! And you can really go out there with the number systems. There’s different bases, but then you can get into the world of different place values. Like in my world, Lasi’el uses a place value system where you count to 6, but instead of ‘1,2,3,4,5,6,10,11,12’ it’s ‘1,2,3,4,5,6,21,22,23’ essentially saying that after 6 comes the second 1. Or in Verna, that essentially functions off of the prime numbers, counting like ‘1,2,3,22,5,23,7,222,25’.

Both 6 and 18 would be good bases actually. 18 may be a little big, but computer programmers like to use base 16, and many cultures used base 20, and even 60. Size is an important factor though.

Looking back, I only found two occurrences of ‘Th’ and both were unvoiced. I’m not sure if that’s a coincidence or a rule of the linguistics that I just noticed. I’ll have to look at my list of names and see if there are any voiced ‘th’s.

Yeah, if there isn’t any voiced, then I would stick to just unvoiced, but you don’t have to of course.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
        @jonas
          • Total Posts: 2624

@rae

It’s labeled as ‘Ue’ in the picture. ‘Oo’ might be more accurate, but ‘ue’ can make the sane sound. (Think of the word ‘due,’ fore example.)

🏰 Fantasy Writer
          ✨ Magic System Creator
          🎭 Character RPer
          📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

So start making a bunch of words for basic concrete concepts, then bonus points if you can ground those concepts in what is important to the locals where the language originated. After that, combine these concepts in all sorts of ways, again in the manner that would be important to the locals. Then you can add a hint of chaos, because no natural language is going to be 100% consistent.

Okay, cool! Thanks!

Alright, cool! And you can really go out there with the number systems. There’s different bases, but then you can get into the world of different place values. Like in my world, Lasi’el uses a place value system where you count to 6, but instead of ‘1,2,3,4,5,6,10,11,12’ it’s ‘1,2,3,4,5,6,21,22,23’ essentially saying that after 6 comes the second 1. Or in Verna, that essentially functions off of the prime numbers, counting like ‘1,2,3,22,5,23,7,222,25’.

Both 6 and 18 would be good bases actually. 18 may be a little big, but computer programmers like to use base 16, and many cultures used base 20, and even 60. Size is an important factor though.

Those number systems hurt my brain! 😵‍💫 I think I’ll stick with simple base-something systems!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Okay, cool! Thanks!

Any time!

Those number systems hurt my brain! 😵‍💫 I think I’ll stick with simple base-something systems!

Alright, fine😅

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
              @jonas

@highscribeofaetherium @thearcaneaxiom @savannah_grace2009 @rae @grcr

I’ve been thinking about my plan for this series, and I am considering changing it a bit. I would maintain the same basic plot, but I would stretch it out a bit more. My original three book plan just did not feel like the right size to me. It felt like it was too short for a more extended plot, but too long for a shorter one. Since I don’t have too many plot details nailed down yet, I can still change things a bit.

I am now considering doing five books. I would add Denemar and (probably Selius) to the list of main characters. Then, the remaining four Eivir would each also take a slightly more prominent role in one of the first four books. So it would go like this:

Book One: focuses on Ellis and features another Eivir in a more prominent role.

Book Two: focuses on Grayton and features another Eivir in a more prominent role.

Book Three: focuses on Kate and features another Eivir in a more prominent role.

Book Four: focuses on Selius and features another Eivir in a more prominent role.

Book Five focuses on Denemar.

For clarification, Ellis, Kate, and Grayton would still be the main characters in all five books, more so than any of the minor Eivir.

As far as plot goes, the main change this would create other than drawing out the plot is that I would probably have the series begin before Argaroth returned, so the first book would focus on the conflict to prevent his return.

I’m still working mainly on the Ildin Saga, but I will probably still continue to think about this one in the meantime. What do you think of this plan instead? I like that it lets me focus on more characters, but I’m also not sure if the story warrants being this length. The length does give me a bit more freedom to tell a longer story, though, so it’s not all a negative–I was feeling a little confined by the original plan.

(There are a few more details I would like to add, but I don’t have time now.)

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                ✨ Magic System Creator
                🎭 Character RPer
                📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Part of me wants to say that this is a bit of an ambitious, and you just want to finish one complete story before setting up for a five book series, but I’m guilty of the same thing so…

I think this is a good set up though, very similar to Stormlight, but it allows some good mobility.

Cloaked Mystery
                  @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

It is ambitious, but I’m prepared to not have an easy time with this one. This is by far my oldest WIP, and I don’t expect to finish it any time soon. I’m at least writing the Ildin Saga first.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                    ✨ Magic System Creator
                    🎭 Character RPer
                    📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Yeah, that’s a good set up!

Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 114 (of 114 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >