The Adonial Saga

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Cloaked Mystery
    @jonas
      • Total Posts: 2624

@highscribeofaetherium

Well I think spanish does have more.

In english ‘I’ and “you” use the same version.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
      ✨ Magic System Creator
      🎭 Character RPer
      📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
      @highscribeofaetherium
        • Total Posts: 2215

@jonas

Yeah.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

HighScribe
        @highscribeofaetherium

Languages shouldn’t be so complicated 😵‍💫😵‍💫

I think I need to hire a philologist.

-GRCR-
          @grcr
            • Total Posts: 947

@jonas

Endeson! 😄 Your conlang is really cool!!!

you have motivated me to work on mine lol

“What be a cretin?”
            “Of course you wouldn’t know. It’s a… bread you put in salad.”

Cloaked Mystery
            @jonas

@grcr

Thanks!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
              ✨ Magic System Creator
              🎭 Character RPer
              📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
              @jonas

@everyone

I created a system of runes to use for this conlang.

There are twenty-seven Arvendin runes. Eight are vowels, eighteen are consonants, and one (the ‘Y’ rune) can be either. Unlike in English, each one only makes a single sound (except the ‘Y’ rune, which makes ‘y’ sound as a consonant and an ‘ee’ sound as a vowel), so I have separate runes for ‘a’ and ‘ah.’ There are also separate runes for ‘sh’ and ‘th.’ Arvendin doesn’t have a ‘Q’ or ‘X,’ but you can use two runes to make either sound. It also doesn’t have an ‘F’ or ‘Z’ sound. I’ve been using these to write English sentences, and I just use an English ‘Z’ or ‘F’ whenever I need that sound. Stylized right, they don’t look out of place. These are also sorted alphabetically. I have a very specific pattern, where it goes vowel, consonant, consonant, repeat. (Counting the ‘Y’ rune as a vowel.) I haven’t applied these to the actual Arvendin language yet, but I think it will help me to have a complete list of the sounds. Anyone have a favorite (or least favorite) rune design. My least favorite is the ‘Uh’ rune, for obvious reasons.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                ✨ Magic System Creator
                🎭 Character RPer
                📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                @jonas

And no, @highscribeofaetherium, this will not let you decode the runic inscriptions I’ve been drawing, because I’ve made changes since then.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                  ✨ Magic System Creator
                  🎭 Character RPer
                  📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
                  @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

😒

Just for the record I knew that was what you were writing.

Which one is the ‘Uh’?

Cloaked Mystery
                    @jonas

@highscribeofaetherium

The one that says ‘Uh’ above it. Bottom left.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                      ✨ Magic System Creator
                      🎭 Character RPer
                      📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
                      @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

Oh, I didn’t see the ‘uh’ words, and I thought that the ones above the sounds corresponded to the sound below.

Cloaked Mystery
                        @jonas

Btw, this is the naming convention for the runes. Consonants are pronounced as [consonant]ah. So the c rune is pronounced ‘Cah.’ Vowels are pronounced as written. (The ‘a’ rune is pronounced like the a in apple if that wasn’t clear.) The ‘y’ rune is called ‘ee.’

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                          ✨ Magic System Creator
                          🎭 Character RPer
                          📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom
                            • Total Posts: 1250

@jonas

Somehow I completely missed your progress on your conlang on here. December was really crazy for me, so I guess it makes sense, sorry😅

So you’ve already got a lot of words down, so that’s really cool! Quick question, how is ‘Th’ meant to be pronounced? Is it voiced, like ‘that’ or unvoiced, like ‘math’?

So you’ve followed English’s rules quite intimately so far, which is fine, but there’s a lot more you could play with. Another rule of thumb when make more words is to keep in mind what words you’ve already made. How might the base words you have turn into new words? You should diverge from English’s etymology pretty quick once you start doing this.

In English for example, a seemingly base concept word “truth” actually comes from the word “tree”. ‘Hello’ came from ‘Be heathy’, and ‘Good bye’ is rooted to ‘God be with you’. In Lasi’el, the word for person “sho’em” comes from the verb ‘esho’ meaning ‘to think’ and ‘sem’ meaning ‘physical thing’ (more or less), so a person is ‘one who thinks’. These words show what is in the enviorment, and what is valued to the people who speak the langauge. Going back to the word truth, it shows that people saw trees as straight, constant, and good. The word human coming from the word for thinking in Lasi’el, shows that this people value thought as the sacred quality to what it means to be a human.

So what will really make your conlang distinct is what it says about the people who speak it.

Also, maybe consider having a different number system, or base? You don’t have to, this is a simple prejudice of mine. I just find base 10 boring. Unless their is a unique reason for it.

I like the runes! What kind of surface would they be typically written on? The hard lines suggest that it likely isn’t ink and paper. They would likely be carved or something.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
                            @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

So you’ve already got a lot of words down, so that’s really cool! Quick question, how is ‘Th’ meant to be pronounced? Is it voiced, like ‘that’ or unvoiced, like ‘math’?

I’d have to look back over all my words so far, but I know that the name ‘Thulac” has it unvoiced. I’m guessing it varies depending on the word, like in English.

So you’ve followed English’s rules quite intimately so far, which is fine, but there’s a lot more you could play with. Another rule of thumb when make more words is to keep in mind what words you’ve already made. How might the base words you have turn into new words? You should diverge from English’s etymology pretty quick once you start doing this.

Okay, that makes sense. Do you have any tips on what words I should create? So far, I’ve pretty much just been creating words as I’ve needed them, but do you have another good way to go about it?

Also, maybe consider having a different number system, or base? You don’t have to, this is a simple prejudice of mine. I just find base 10 boring. Unless their is a unique reason for it.

Nine is an important number in this culture, so I kind of like having the number system the way it is, because you count up to nine and then start over. Aside from nine Eivir, there’s also 27 runes, nine of which are vowels. Interestingly, I’ve noticed a little submotif popping up where one of the nine things is different from the other eight. (The king among the Eivir, and the ‘Y’ rune among the other vowels.)

I like the runes! What kind of surface would they be typically written on? The hard lines suggest that it likely isn’t ink and paper. They would likely be carved or something.

They probably originally developed for carving into stone or wood, but at this point in history, they would use paper. I’m guessing that letters would naturally evolve to become more curved once people were writing rather than carving them, so I might make curved variations as well, although the squarish versions will probably remain the more formal version, sort of like printing versus cursive.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                              ✨ Magic System Creator
                              🎭 Character RPer
                              📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

And don’t worry, I most definitely will have planets with different number systems! I really like number symbolism, so I’ll be playing around with other number motifs. Of all my planets, Adonial is the least out-there in terms of worldbuilding. Ildin for example has some pretty crazy stuff. (I’ve actually been thinking about pivoting to focus on that project. I have more emotional attachment to this one, so there’s more pressure to get it right, and I’ve just kind of stalled. I feel more prepared in general to work on Ildin.) I’m not sure what number system I would use there. The magic system has 18 powers, but that’s kind of high, so I might go with 6.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                ✨ Magic System Creator
                                🎭 Character RPer
                                📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                                @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Looking back, I only found two occurrences of ‘Th’ and both were unvoiced. I’m not sure if that’s a coincidence or a rule of the linguistics that I just noticed. I’ll have to look at my list of names and see if there are any voiced ‘th’s.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                  ✨ Magic System Creator
                                  🎭 Character RPer
                                  📚 Appreciator of Books

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >