Teary Scenes

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Teary Scenes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Elfwing
    @elfwing
      • Total Posts: 486

@iluvhim18

this is true about sadness; and a good reminder for not making writing too dramatic

And yeah it totally depends on the person! I have been starting to boycott making characters cry with sad things, usually I use things like them going tense, “eyes dulling”, “looking weary”, “jaw clenched”, etc… but I have those heartbroken scenes where I just have to use tears XD

but i also use tears for joyful scenes too— a couple of them, anyways

thanks for the advice! it is helpful, especially just having several points of view on such things 🙂

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Evelyn
      @iluvhim18
        • Total Posts: 95

@elfwing

True, tears are needed for some things! 🙂 I prefer to use other actions than crying, but I do need to fall back on tears for especially emotional scenes.

No problem, I love sharing my “immense” wisdom I’ve gained from my whole 14 years of life on this earth. xD

If you ask me about my book, I will talk for hours. Have a nice day!😊

Elfwing
        @elfwing

@iluvhim18

Yeah tears are odd things…

Haha yeah i do the same, and I’m 17 lol,

well, thanks everybody! I have figured it out i think! 🙂

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 1379

@elfwing

Cool!

Lydia S.
            @lydia-s
              • Total Posts: 399

@elfwing

*sighs happily again* Oh my… Teary, emotional scenes with men in them? You have seriously just described one of my all-time favorite scenes to write. XD

As Elizabeth and JC said, I don’t think it weakens the manliness of a man to show him crying. I know I enjoy a good emotional scene involving guys… 😛 Anyway, I feel like that though men, and people in general, can act tough and hold everything in for a while, there comes a point where they simply cannot hold it in anymore. It has to come out. And I feel like, with all that emotion, bitterness, anger, or whatever bottled up inside them, they will sooner or later either crack up (As in losing their mind), blow up, or break down. Somehow or another, they’ll probably end up crying. I think you can have your male characters cry! I know mine do. 😛

Haha, yup, I know what you mean. XD I’m over here turning one of my most lovable characters into the main villain of my story, breaking apart a perfect couple, and killing one of my characters … Bwahahaha… Being a writer sometimes just means making your characters miserable… *facepalm*

Elfwing
              @elfwing

@lydia-s

Yeah, guys crying makes me emotional XD  I haven’t actually seen it in real life very often, but I didn’t think they were sissy for it.

Lol yessss a good scene with people crying adds sympathy to the hurting character, totally. Someone I know is writing an novel, and the MC’s best friend said, “Crying isn’t weak. Or at least… I hope not, ’cause I’ve done it.” XD

Yeah I have them cry sometimes. I mean, for example (you will see why my friends say I’m a tragedy writer): a sweet, innocent, darling girl dies tragically, and the MC’s brother is weeping because he’s heartbroken… she was like a little sister to him. All five readers on my draft (I know, so many fans ;P ) were like “You are cruel!!! noooooo!!!” XD I’d quote it here but it is too long.

*gasps * whoa!!! i literally did that with my book too! the guy is the main villain, but in this case it’s the girl who broke it up; he is heartbroken, gets bitter, disappears, becomes evil villain over the 300 years they are apart, then he he reappears as the evil main commander under the dark lord who has not yet been revealed, so he seems the most evil man in the world (literally), and almost destroys the world, then gets caught and locked away by the king and queen of the immortal people (who happen to be his very upset parents) and the lady is still mad at him but feels bad that she’s the cause of him being so upset and- *gasps for air* sorry, I’ll stop. XD

Being a writer means you get to be a dictator of fates! MWA-hahaha! (my sister calls me the fantasy dictator… not sure it’s a good thing)

Well thanks for the tips and advice guys!! really helpful! I no longer feel bad about people crying in my book XD

Lydia S.
                @lydia-s

@elfwing

Oh, that’s a good line… Kudos to your friend!

Ah, I see. Poor guy… Poor family… That sounds like a great scene though!

*jaw drops* WOW. That sounds awesome!!! XD Agghhhh, that’s such an intriguing story. In my book, it’s one of the MC’s father’s best friends (someone the MC looks up to) who betrays them, one of the MC’s sister’s best friends who also betrays them (she happens to be the daughter of the above-mentioned traitor) and in the process breaks the heart of one of the MC’s best friends, and it’s the dragon the MC finds who dies. Sorry, that was probably very confusing. *facepalm*

Yup, pretty much! Our poor characters… We put them through a lot…

*looks at documents and sighs happily* Seriously, writing is the best thing ever… XD

Elfwing
                  @elfwing

@lydia-s

yes, she’s amazing with writing, truly gifted!

Yah, I wrote that part about a year ago, and I just went back and read it while listening to ‘The Eagles’ from the Return of the King soundtrack, and made myself cry… “why, Daphne? why did I kill youuuuu?” XD

haha no you make total sense! It sounds epic!!! betrayal of a family… oof its the best for a story plot, isn’t it?

Oh, poor dragon, always the faithful steed/companion, isn’t it? Alas… “you were only ever a means to an end…” Sorry, quoting Smaug talking to Bilbo. XD

Yes, poor characters, but hey! it’s our own worlds! we do as we please and laws do not defy us. mwahahaha.

Also, building up amazing characters and giving them good deaths is one of the most satisfying parts of writing for me.

Yes, writing is the best thing ever!!! Well thanks for the helps! it’s been awesome! 😀

Lydia S.
                    @lydia-s

@elfwing

Aww! Poor Daphne… :'(

Well, thank you! Yes, it is pretty awesome. Especially when it affects so many people… 😛 Ah, yes, the dragon, the one who must always die. Lovely quote, btw. And I agree with every single one of your points. 😀

Very glad to have been able to put in my two cents! Hope it helped. I’ll see you around the forum! 😀 <333

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Lydia S..
                      Elfwing
                      @elfwing

@lydia-s

yeah, poor Daphne… alas, Klaiom’s true love must die. XD so sympathetic of me

yeah, well it’s all for the sake of the novel, they do not die in vain, at least XD

yes, you all were very helpful, thanks!

see you around! 🙂

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h
                          • Total Posts: 3875

Ooh! I used to NEVER put this in my stories. But more recently, I’ve started giving my characters emotions more. One scene involves a man and his 17-year-old son, who had been reunited with each other after over a decade apart in the last story. The pair have just cleared out their now-abandoned old house from the animals which had taken it over, and the father notices an old picture on the floor in the living room. It’s a picture from the son’s second birthday, one of the family, including the boy’s mother, who is presumed to be dead. The father walks over, picks it up, and stares at it for a minute before just kind of breaking down in tears, remembering the war that’d torn the family apart only a few months after the picture was taken. How do you guys think it should be done? It is a fanfiction, but I think it’ll be good practice if anything. The son’s name is Rinzler, his father Tron, and his mother Jaina.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Elfwing
                          @elfwing

@keilah-h

I would be hard pressed to give any definite advice, since i don’t know the personality of the charries, but maybe have Tron start talking about memories, or say how much he wishes he could have changed it or something. or just a silent, greving silence, and the son wishes he could have known more, but doesn’t ask? idk XD

or if Tron just sort of lapses into thoughful silence after his initial grief, and after a while, starts telling Rinzler random memories that come to mind? i don’t know if he talked about it with Rinzler, but that’s my thoughts 🙂

hope they are helpful.

most of my teary scenes, to be honest are people dying or being reunited. XD

I’m sure you’ll do amazing whatever you decide with it!! :))

Keilah H.
                            @keilah-h
                              • Total Posts: 3875

@elfwing Those are good suggestions! I’ll keep them in mind. And yes, I try to do good death scenes. They’re not that common, but I try to make it worth it when I write them.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

TheLobsterLover
                              @thelobsterlover
                                • Total Posts: 28

@Elfwing

I just got here and I’m probably quite late, but with describing characters crying, you can use less common bodily responses to strong emotion then just tears. Things like a lump in your throat, trails of watery snot coming out the nose, dry heaving. This could just be a me thing, but sometimes I hear a soft popping noise in my ears when I’m letting it all out. It’s very hard to swallow or eat things when your crying, and it feels like the world has stopped around you and all you can hear are your own thoughts.

These are all from my own experience though, and it might be good to do some research on bodily responses to certain emotions like stress, sadness or fear since everyone experiences them differently.

Hope that made some sense.

Hmm, how shall I emotionally torture my ocs today I wonder...

Karissa Chmil
                                @karissa-chmil
                                  • Total Posts: 96

@elfwing

Whoa, lots of awesome responses – one thing I’ll add is that it can be nice to focus on more than just one sense. If you usually describe the way the tears burn in the back of your character’s eyes, then mention the way the tears glint in the moonlight. If your habit is to describe how hoarse your character’s voice is, then show their hands trembling. If you work on using more than one sense to show little snapshots on *how* the character’s crying, you’ll have a lot more variety to choose from.

Hope that helped, and best of luck!

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >