Struggling Mentally and Emotionally With Your WIP.

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Struggling Mentally and Emotionally With Your WIP.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1379

@issawriter7

@devastate-lasting

I know how it feels to think you should pick something like math and science as your major because it’s “stable” but that is actually so not true! My uncle is an engineer, and he’s always saying, “Math never changes. Writing does,” yadda yadda yadda. (LOL, sorry for that rant.) But NEVER feel that you’ve got to pick a certain major just because it may pay better or whatever. It’s a nightmare to be stuck with something you’re not passionate about, and ends up being a job instead of something you love to do.

I am the farthest thing from an expert on the subject of college majors, haha, but I’ll just share a little personal advice I’ve learned for myself, if y’all don’t mind. If it can maybe help you?

I’ve decided that I want to attend divinity school and get a major in theology, so I can become a pastor. That’s because, well, first off I strongly believe it’s what God is calling me to do, and second because I love studying the Bible and reflecting on it and pounding on it. I just love grappling with Biblical subjects all day, no matter what I’m doing. And ever since I was four years old I’ve had a passion for writing. When recently I decided I want to use that gift for writing (if I can call it a gift), solely to honor God, I found a perfect combination in my love of Scripture, theology and writing. That’s why I write Biblical fiction now.

Also, it doesn’t matter whether anyone approves, even your loved ones. My parents are very supportive of everything I want to do, both my pursuit of publication and my goal for a divinity degree. They may not be as passionate about those things as I am, and they sometimes talk to me about reservations they have. And my grandfather, who I’m very close to, doesn’t approve of my studying divinity (he believes women shouldn’t be ordained pastors). But although he doesn’t approve, he is still very supportive and always tells me if that’s what I want to do, he’ll always be there for anything I need. Still, it does disappoint me that he believes I shouldn’t be a pastor, because I probably care more about his opinion than anyone else’s. My point is that even if you don’t have the full approval of even those you’re closest to, don’t let that stop you from choosing what YOU want.

A few months ago my mom and I were talking and she said I should choose English as a second major, because I love writing so much. She pointed out that there are many pastors and theologians who are also writers. The two examples that pop into my head at the moment are John Piper and Max Lucado. I thought that was a great idea, so I plan to take English as a second major. My plan is to, yes, study divinity and become a pastor, but also to continue writing Biblical fiction! I hope to get many books published during my lifetime.

Anyways, I’m sorry this comment is so long. Thank you for making it down here, LOL! But I just wanted to say that it doesn’t matter about the income, what your parents want, etc. It matters that clearly you have a passion for writing, and once you have a passion for something, the last thing you want to do is let it go!

Anonymous

@nova21

Thank you so much for the advice! That was much needed! I’ll try not to worry so much about the number of words I’m writing and more about the quality of the words I’m writing.

And did you say covid was in the house? I definitely hope you’re okay!!!!

Issabelle Perry
        @issawriter7
          • Total Posts: 976

@joy-caroline

Aww, THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH for this, girl!!!! It was very motivating and inspiring!! And that’s SOOOOO COOL that you wanna be a preacher!! You go for it!! I don’t know if I ever told you, but when I was young (like all the way through middle school) my dream had always been to be a preacher, but just about everyone was telling me I couldn’t be a preacher in a Baptist church ’cause I was a girl. It always makes me very upset when people say things like that. I mean, aren’t preachers those who preach what the Holy Spirit places on ones heart? So, if a girl couldn’t be one ’cause she was a girl that’s basically saying she’s not filled with the Holy Spirit as much as dudes. And that’s just crazy!! Wow, sorry for that rant. But anyways, by high school I kind of left that dream behind and found writing. At this moment, I’m still not sure what exactly God’s calling me to do!! Basically, if that’s what God’s calling you to do don’t let anyone stop you!!! And THANK YOU for this!!!!!!! <33

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
          TeenWritersNook.com

Anonymous

@issawriter7

TOTALLY agree! The head pastor of my church is actually a woman and she’s awesome. She did a whole sermon one week about how the Bible does NOT say women can’t be preachers, and in fact encourages them. I think the people who told you you can’t do it are just nuts!

If you don’t mind, here are a few verses about preaching women XD

“I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchrea, that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well” (Romans 16:1). Phoebe was actually a deaconess who delivered Paul’s letter to the Romans, so she would have been their pastor!

“He (Philip) had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied” (Acts 21:9).

“And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher…. And coming up at that very hour she began to give thanks to God and to speak of him to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem” (Luke 2:36,38).

Issabelle Perry
            @issawriter7

@joy-caroline

Wow, that’s super cool!!!!!! Hehehe…well the people who told me that were my parents and grandparents. But I won’t tell them you just said they were nuts. XD (I’m only teasing around.) Though, with my mom it was more that she was telling me I should be a Christina speaker instead.

Oooh, those are some AWESOME verses!!!! Also, to point out Deborah was a prophetess in the Bible that God used!!! I believe, if you’ve got a heart willing to follow and obey God, He can use you for anything!

TeenWritersNook.com

ella
              @nova21
                • Total Posts: 604

@joy-caroline

Oh, yeah, just waiting it out… 😒  It’s more annoying than anything, lol 😆

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                -gladiator, 2000

Anonymous

@issawriter7

Well, as I said before my grandfather doesn’t approve of me being a pastor. And I love and respect him lots (honestly, he’s like my best friend). So I’m disappointed that he doesn’t believe I should study divinity, but in the end I can’t let even his disapproval keep me from doing what I know is right.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Deborah! And there was Miriam, too. Yes!!

Anonymous

@nova21

Right!?

Issabelle Perry
                    @issawriter7

@joy-caroline

Yep!! That’s totally right!!! I think it’s awesome how you’re not letting that stop you and all. I know God’s got a super awesome plan for you!!!!!!!!!!!! <33 <33

Oooh, YEA!!! I forgot about Miriam. There’s a lot more girls than I realized in the Bible.

TeenWritersNook.com

Anonymous

@issawriter7

Aw, thanks! *virtual hug*

Yes! There are so many awesome girls in the Bible!

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting
                          • Total Posts: 1700

@joy-caroline Aw thanks sister. I’m glad to hear you’re pursuing your dreams. At this point I’ve long accepted it though and it’s too late to change anyway and I’m sure I’ll grow to like it, so it’s fine. Thanks for your words, though!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                          Would you mind letting me know
                          If hours don't turn into days

Anonymous

@devastate-lasting

Well, as long as you’re happy, that’s what matters! But if you ever don’t want to pursue a certain something anymore, it’s never too late to quit. My dad actually went through business school before he figured out he’d rather be a PE teacher 😂

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >