Struggling Mentally and Emotionally With Your WIP.

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Struggling Mentally and Emotionally With Your WIP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

*Btw, this forum isn’t really for the nitty gritty things that some writers have to deal with, such as violence, etc. U can make that on another forum if u wish, but I sometimes rather not read it so thanks for understanding (:*

This forum post is for those who are struggling with doubt, lack of confidence, procrastination, perfectionism, following-everyone-else’s-advice-itis (Like the name? XD), etc.

I’d like to deal with some of these subjects so we can help each other, and have this forum as a sort of encourager for each other. You’re welcome to add to this and even talk about a struggle you faced while writing, editing, or publishing.

For me, I’m gonna start with the long one up there. Ya, the big Following everyone else blah blah blah.

So, for me, I discovered Authortube a while back, and I was reading and listening to so much info and tips for writing, all the time. And that’s fine! What isn’t fine, however, is finding yourself unable to break free from what others say you’re supposed to do.

I had this (and I’m sure I still have some of this!) but I’ve gotten quite a bit better in a short amount of time. While tips and tricks can be and are very useful and helpful, and u can use them to ur liking, just make sure you don’t fall into the trap of never making your own way.

Trust me when I say making your own way is SO MUCH more fun and rewarding! That’s some of why when ppl ask for advice I tell them to try it out, do your own thing, and see what works! Yea, it’s sad when u fail, but thats how u know if something does or doesn’t work!

For me, this month, I did something totally Unique (in my opinion) when it came to drafting and I am enjoying it! It is working really well, and I didn’t find it in a video or anything. In fact, I wasn’t even sure if it would work, but I tried it and now I’m writing almost every single day!

Follow tips to your hearts content, but don’t forget to break free sometimes from what others say. Everyone has opinions and everyone is different. There is only one you! So be different! I still read tips and watch videos, but I’m a bit better now with being able to take what I want to try, and leave what I don’t.

Here’s a small example-

There are many opinions out there about prologues and even epilogues. Some dislike them, some are in the middle, and some enjoy them. But there are quite a few who say to not have one, because you don’t need one. Or because you SHOULDN’T need one.

That, is an opinion. Not a fact.

I realized, while drafting, that my first chapter wasn’t going to exciting enough to draw readers in like I needed, and I had an idea for a scene that wouldn’t fit with chapter 1. So I made a prologue, and I am glad  I did! I think my book needed one!

That was a way of me breaking free from what others thought and doing my own thing!

So ya, hope this helps someone! (And don’t forget to share ur struggles and how to overcome them!)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Gracie J.
      @gracie-j
        • Total Posts: 1789

@godlyfantasy12 This is a fantastic topic! I know I’ve had my share of struggles, but I finally have the high ground (yes…that was a prequel metaphor… XD), so I’d be glad to help anyone! I know how you feel about the “itis.” The way I avoided contraction was by avoiding other writers altogether, for a time. When I first started writing, I knew next to nothing about it, so I just winged it. I also didn’t know that I could just Google answers for all my questions or reach out to other writers. Therefore, I read what I wanted to write (i.e., historical romance) and tried to emulate what other writers did simply by reading their work. I didn’t have to listen to their critiques or go through the rules, so I invented my own style of pretty much everything.

I don’t draft. (Don’t look at me like that…)

I have little to no plot structure.

I only write about five hundred words a day.

I have basically no set writing schedule or organizational forms of any kind.

My outlines look like a diary page (albeit written on a computer), and I make half of everything up as I go along.

Along the way, I’ve learned that some things I used to do (like not use paragraphs XD) weren’t beneficial, but I’ve kept what works for me, like one-word sentences and sentences that begin with and or but. Or not drafting…

Sure, some of my projects stink, but I’ve honed my voice and I write painstakingly slow to the point of not necessarily needing multiple drafts. I have learned that I need to edit more and better–but can’t we all?

I probably should have started by writing a few short stories and submitting them for contests and critiques…but, instead, I started with a full-length novel. I probably should have queried a couple of agents for my debut novel, but, instead, I went with self-publishing. I don’t regret making mistakes or doing things differently. Now that I know what works, I know when and from whom to learn. Now I’ve got you guys *hugs all her KP buddies* to straighten me out!

Anyway, don’t let following-everyone-else’s-advice-itis hold you back! Maybe abstain from all those advice-givers or look for a second opinion. Speaking of…I actually wrote an entire blog post about this!

Yeah, some rules are not meant to be broken (particularly the ones clearly stated in the Ten Commandments, mind you), but some are.

Anyway…there was my rant for the day! 🙂 I hope that helps someone!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1379

Ugh, I struggle so much with procrastination. CAN SOMEBODY RESCUE ME!?! *freaking out* I’m literally procrastinating right now!

It’s just that writing a book is SO. HARD. I love writing – I mean I’ve been doing it since I was four, and taking it out of my life would be like removing a part of my heart – but sometimes I just wish my book would write itself. Why is writing a book SO INSANELY HARD?

Sorry for that rant… LOL.

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

Oh…well…if we’re all pouring out some emotions here…

Sometimes I grow really sad when I think about my future, and how I’m not going to become a full-time author. It doesn’t support, yeah, yeah…

Because recently I’ve discovered how much I love writing. And when you apply for colleges they tell you to do what you love, but honestly, for me it’s more like, “Do what you can tolerate that gives you stable income.” Like, the job path I’m choosing isn’t bad at all, I don’t mind it, I like it enough…but I love writing more, y’know?

So I get really sad when I think about after like six more years I’m just gonna be sitting in an office cubicle hunching over a computer for the rest of my life, and how my hobbies and things I like will have to take a seat on the back burner. Which I guess is why I’m working so hard now, so that I’ll be done with all this writing later…

Then again, I write way more when I’m stressed and busy with other stuff, so it might be a good idea not to be a full-time writer. One silver lining, I guess.

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12

@issawriter7 Yesss I feel you! Procrastination is a HUGE struggle! I still battle with it VERY often!!

One thing that has helped me recently is having a small goal, that builds toward a bigger goal. So say 500 words a day, but it slowly adds up.

That is another reason that app has helped me out. When u have a small daily goal, it’s easier to not procrastinate, because u know “Okay, I honestly don’t have a lot to do today.”

And then, once u get started, sometimes u don’t stop till ur 1,000 words in! (And sometimes u stop right at the mark lol! And that’s okay too!)

And it also feels so rewarding because u can look and say that you’ve written today, and it adds to your large number, which is a GREAT feeling!!

So I’d definitely start there. Maybe limit your screen time or find someone to hold u accountable, like a friend or loved one. Someone to make sure u write sometime during the day. Even if it’s just a few words!

@devastate-lasting

One question….

Who is pressuring you to do this?

Listen, I understand, yes writing may not give u a lavish lifestyle unless u become insta-famous. But this DOES NOT mean you have to give it up at any point in time!

Yea, some hobbies are just hobbies, but some hobbies aren’t! Some things are a way of life!

Trust me when I say I LOVE writing. It literally feels like a part of my life, a part of my heart, and giving it up would be devastating! (Unless told by the Lord of course)

Do not EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS! EVER!

Idk if ur pressuring yourself, or someone else. If it’s your parents, then of course honor and respect them, but also know you don’t have to get rid of your writing! Loads of authors have jobs or part time jobs and are still authors! Most Indie authors do this!

Listen, if this is depressing you, or stressing you out, you need to tell someone close to you, someone you trust about it. I’m sure they can give some wonderful advice, because they would know you better then I.

okay so I know that was quite a rant, but ur post got to me, because I know what it’s like for writing to literally feel like a part of u, and I guess in my mind I don’t see why you have to give it up.

(and I’m not saying u should rebel or anything like that lol!! This is just my two cents, and encouragement to keep going and not think about that kind of stuff! Play it by ear for now, and now that you can make those decisions when u get there.)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Issabelle Perry
              @issawriter7
                • Total Posts: 976

@godlyfantasy12

Oooh, I LOVE THIS!!!! I COMPLETELY understand about listening to all the writing tips and stuff. I was recently getting kind of down ’cause my stories just didn’t always sound like my own writing voice ’cause I was letting all the advice become the sole way to write and it just wasn’t fun anymore. So when I started working on my new WIP I was like okay, I’m throwing everything out the window. I’m gonna write what’s on my heart and not let all of the tip and advice control my story. They can aid it but they couldn’t control it. The first chapter was SUPER HARD to break away from how I thought it was supposed to be to how I wanted it to be. But afterwards it’s starting to feel very rewarding! It’s reminded me why I love writing in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And I think having a prologue is ABSOLUTELY OKAY!!!!!! Your story sounds soo EPIC!)

Also, I think your reply was supposed to go to JC and not me so I’m just gonna tag her so she sees it. @joy-caroline

@devastate-lasting

*gasp* I’VE STARTED FEELING THE EXACT SAME WAY!!!!!!! I think about in the future when I have to get a job and I get really sad ’cause I want writing to be my job and all. And I have literally NO IDEA what I want my college degree (when the time comes, of course) to be in ’cause I just don’t wanna do anything else except write, but everyone’s telling me I’ve gotta have something to fall back to and stuff.

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                TeenWritersNook.com

GodlyFantasy12
                @godlyfantasy12

OOPS I meant @joy-caroline earlier! Both of your pics are light pink so I got confused on who it was XD!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                  #ProtectMarcel
                  #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12

Okay, this is a test cuz I’m trying to remember how to change my sentence at the bottom of my posts XD! Let see if this works

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12

NOPE THAT DID NOT WORK. SIIIIIGHHH

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                      @godlyfantasy12

YES FIGURED IT OUT! BOOYAH!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                        #ProtectMarcel
                        #ProtectSeb

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 1379

@godlyfantasy12

Haha, no worries! Thanks for all the advice. I downloaded the WordTracker app and it’s pretty awesome!

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting
                            • Total Posts: 1700

@godlyfantasy12 Ahaha thanks for your two cents. I would say that it would partially be because of myself and my expectations for myself (I had pretty much decided that this was gonna be the job route that I was gonna take since I was twelve or thirteen, before I started writing) and partially the environment I was raised in (practicality and sensibility comes first). Of course, I know that having a stable job is what is best for me, and that I can always pursue writing on the side. If, by some miracle, I become a best-selling author who can support herself through writing itself, my parents have also given me the thumbs-up for me to quit my job and just write.

My parents are pretty lenient about what I do with my writing, actually. They never read it but I can pretty much do what I want.

I feel like I was most depressed by this in my sophomore year, I think, and have pretty much gotten over it by now…almost all of it. I was only reminded of it because I was filling out college apps and picking majors seemed like a concrete finality to me.

@issawriter7
                            Aw, sister, I feel ya. Yeah, sciences and maths seem the way to go for a more practical route. Maybe explore which of your school subjects you’re pretty good at? Better to start thinking early and mentally prepare yourself.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                            Would you mind letting me know
                            If hours don't turn into days

Issabelle Perry
                            @issawriter7
                              • Total Posts: 976

@devastate-lasting

Oooh, yes!!!! Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                              TeenWritersNook.com

ella
                              @nova21
                                • Total Posts: 604

@issawriter7, @devastate-lasting

I feel you guys!!  I agree with what @godlyfantasy12 said about how writing can always be a hobby.  Or a side-gig.  I feel confident enough to say (for all of us on KP) that writing is not something any of us should EVER give up!!!!  So DON’T!!!  Find a way to incorporate it into your daily life/routine.  If there’s a will, there’s a way. 😉  (jk, doesn’t always work 😜)  Don’t feel sad about it–if writing is your happy place, don’t let it make you feel down!  Keep on pushing on guys, you got this!!!

@joy-caroline

Oh, no.  Procrastination.  I hate that word with a fiery passion!! 😜  I always say I’m the queen of procrastination, so I feel you!!!!  I don’t think I ever will ever get over it completely, but I can still give you some tips:  😉

1)  If you aren’t writing willingly, make yourself write.

2)  If you still can’t find inspiration, hop on the forum and see if someone’s on.  Have a Word War with them.  (Most likely, I’ll be on for the next week a lot–covid’s in the house 😒)

3)  Have someone keep you accountable, whether it be on KP or at home or with friends.

4)  Get fresh air and take a walk around the neighborhood and clear your mind.

5)  Create Pinterest boards or Spotify playlists.

6)  Do something else that may inspire you (crafting, reading) while still being creative.

Don’t let the word count be daunting–just write what you love.  Hope that helps!!!

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                                -gladiator, 2000

Jenna Terese
                                @jenwriter17
                                  • Total Posts: 2522

This is a great topic! I struggled a bit with just following every single tip and piece of advice I’d heard too. It took me a while to learn that I will love writing more and create better stories if I made my own creative process. I think I can say that I’ve overcome this, but I still struggle a lot with comparing myself to others/their writing and feeling inadequate, not good enough, will never be good enough, etc. This is something that’s a little harder for me to get past, because I tend to do it in all areas of life. But I’m slowly learning that you can’t create freely (or live freely, for that matter), if you’re constantly looking at others.

You all might like this post I did. 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                                  www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >