Some questions about characters

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Some questions about characters

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Elishavet Pidyon
    @elishavet-pidyon
      • Total Posts: 1014

@keilah-h

This topic is phenomenal! Now I’m itching to answer those questions.

Because crazy questions are some of the best kinds there are…

A character that I don’t like but I don’t hate.

Rabadash is horrible, but also Ridiculous. For that I can despise him as a person, but enjoy him as a character. There are most likely a bunch of these, but it’s just been awhile.

Most of my characters I’d probably help up, Except for the Still-Nameless-Villain, because I probably nocked him off. Or not me, but rather a giant eagle that desires vengeance for the murder of it’s old master.

Anyway…

The worst villain? That’s a bit tough.

Vermilion, king of Evelian. He’s incredibly twisted to the point that he is not satisfied untill his own twin brother is dead. He’s also fairly complex, with one mentor character saying basically, “If you really knew him, you’d pity him more than you’d hate him.”

He’s on the same level as the White Witch, Morbin, and Sauron, in my opinion. And yes, those are basically the ones at the top – or bottom –  of my list.

(By the way, I only read the books he’s from. I know nothing of whatever movies were concocted. Just to be sure, since sometimes that can lead to misunderstandings. 😉 😬)

As for best protagonist? But I’ve read so many! Are you sure real life people don’t work? (Cause there’s this missionary…) 😂 I’ll try.

Picket was mentioned already, but he and Heather and Jo are pretty far up there. I like Sam, but I’m not at all far enough in LotR to know him very well. Has anyone mentioned Lucy, Peter, Shasta or Aravis? They’re good. So is Effie, a girl in a book called “To Love a Broken Winged Angel” (if Else ran you up the wall, try Effie. She’s human.).

And I’ll stop there since I could go on and on about great protagonists. 🙂

Have I based a character off one from a fandom? I don’t know about fanfiction, but I’ve taken personalities of different characters and made my own out of them. At least I think I have. It’s a done a bit subconsciously.

Those were fun, and I hope I didn’t ramble too much. 🙂

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Trahia the Minstrel
      @trahia-the-minstrel
        • Total Posts: 193

@keilah-h

This is fun! And I’ve really enjoyed everyone else’s answers. @abigail-m , I can totally relate to Fitz Vacker thing! I love that book series, but Fitz made me so mad in the later few books. I’m definitely in teem Foster-Keefe, or Keephie, depends what we’re calling it.

Onto the questions and my answers!

Q: Is there a character from a WIP or fandom that you don’t like, but don’t hate either?

A: From a WIP, I’d say King Riézon from my Prince of WalfKlau series. He’s the main bad guy, and is cruel and horrible to the main characters, including his own grandson (who is one of my two protagonists.) However, he also has a very sympathetic backstory, and can be kind-ish and just in his own way. So I don’t like him — he does some pretty appalling things — but I don’t hate him, as I understand why he thinks in his own mind he’s justified in doing those things.

From a fandom? I found Tony Stark pretty annoying to begin with. He grew on me, though … and then made me annoyed with him, but then grew on me again … yeah. I’ll go with Tony Stark, because my feelings about him went from annoyed to liking to annoyed to liking and back again. Am I allowed 2? I dunno, but I’ll add Boba Fett from the recent Book of Boba series. I don’t hate Boba Fett, but I didn’t like his character in that series, it seemed weird and inconsistent.

(also @karissa-chmil , I totally relate to Atretes one. I’m so glad to have found someone else who has also read Mark of the Lion and Harry Potter! We need to nerd about this sometime!)

Q: Pick a character, from a WIP or fandom, then say that character is hanging off the edge of a cliff, about to plunge to their doom. Which scenario best describes what you’d do?

1. I’d obviously extend my hand to help them up!

2. I’m the one who pushed them off in the first place.

3. I told them not to be such a daredevil, but did they listen?

4. I’ll just watch and see what happens …

A: So. From a WIP, this is actually pretty funny, I literally had a scenario in which a character fell off a cliff. (He fell off first of all, and then jumped off in a heroic but somewhat reckless act of sacrifice.) In both situations, my other protagonist tried to stop his fall. (Succeeded the first time, failed the second.)

But if I were the one given the choice what to do with this character, I guess all of the above are true😅. As the author, I pushed him off #2 … and pulled him back up#1. In real life, I’d be shaking my head after pulling him up #1 with the thoughts of #3. When first figuring out the scene, I was maybe #4, I don’t remember.

From a fandom? Um … let’s say Captain America was hanging off a cliff. I think I’d be #4, because I’d just be so excited at seeing Captain America and wanting to see how he epically and heroically gets out of this situation. I’d be interested, you know?

Q: In your mind, who is the worst antagonist/villain character out of all of the ones you’ve read/watched?

A: Calabah from Mark of the Lion. I hate her. She is the most horrible person I’ve ever read in my life, and she was the absolute worst. Grr. The things she did!… She single-handedly … Grrrrrr!

Bonnifer Squoon also makes me mad. I didn’t like the bad guy from the Black Widow movie, either. He was horrible. I forgot his name.

Q:The best protagonist/heroic character? (Real-life people don’t count.)

A: Are we allowed to count Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender as a heroic character? Cause he is one of my favourite characters of all time. His arc is just beautiful. Such a good redemption arc.

If Zuko isn’t allowed to count, then I’ll go with … Sam Gamgee, Gandalf, and … Kaladin from Stormlight Archive is quite good, in terms of his arcs. They’re quite depressing in the middle of the books, but the ending of his arc in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th book …

Oh yeah. Good storytelling.

Q: Have you ever based a character in a WIP off of one in a fandom? (I have.)

Confession time! Yes. Yes I have. I’ve written a whole fanfic about the characters Timpani and Blumiere from the video game Super Paper Mario, and my current original WIP, The Prince of WalfKlau, well …

Let’s just say that I have based a lot of characters off other characters I already loved. But none of them are exactly the same, and I have made them all my own in my own way. We’ll leave it at that.

Sorry if this was a long rant, but it’s a fun topic, and I’m glad I was able to participate!

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
        That’s my wish to create.

Karissa Chmil
        @karissa-chmil
          • Total Posts: 96

(@trahia-the-minstrel ‘Eyyyyy, that’s a rare mixture of book-reading right there. XD Yes, we definitely need to get together to nerd sometime. XP)

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h
            • Total Posts: 3875

@trahia-the-minstrel I don’t know who Zuko is, but if you see him as a good character he counts. Also, I totally see why you’d pick #4 for a Marvel character–they can get out of things by themselves, what with all their cool stuff!

Also, you’re allowed more than one character for liking or hating. I can see why your choices annoyed you; neither of those characters are the kind to hate (and actually have done several good things), but they aren’t too likable either.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          >