Some questions about characters

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Some questions about characters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3874

These are some really weird questions, but I wanted to share them to see what you think!

Is there a character (from a WIP or a fandom) that you don’t like, but you don’t hate either?

Pick a character, from a WIP or a fandom, then say that character is hanging off the edge of a cliff, about to plunge to their doom. Which scenario best describes what you’d do?

1. I’d obviously extend my hand to help them up!
      2. I’m the one who pushed them off in the first place.
      3. I told them not to be such a daredevil, but did they listen?
      4. I’ll just watch and see what happens….

In your mind, who is the worst antagonist/villain character out of all of the ones you’ve read/watched? The best protagonist/heroic character? (Real-life people don’t count.)

Have you ever based a character in a WIP off of one in a fandom? (I have.)

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@keilah-h

1. Plenty.

2. For any of them probably just number 4.

3. Worst, like, most evil or worst written? I feel like I’ve read/watched a lot of awful villains, but I can’t really think off the top of my head the most evil.

4. A lot, haha, but then I warp them enough that no one can recognise them.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Keilah H.
        @keilah-h

@devastate-lasting For number 3, just put both.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h
            Faith Q.
            @faith-q
              • Total Posts: 106

1. Hmm. Not too many come to mind except for the very minor characters.

2. Torin, my antagonist, and totally #1. That guy…

3. The worst… is actually Torin, come to mention it. Ugh, I hate that man. The things he does to Cade are just… yeah. I could rant. But from a story other than my own, I’d say maybe the Thenardiers (or however you spell it) from Les Miserables. Or Marius. Or a few other people. And my favorite protagonist probably EVER is Errol Stone from The Staff and the Sword series by Patrick W. Carr. Besides some more mature adult content, this was just. So. Good!

4. Yes. Absolutely. Jarek, one of my characters, is the culmination of every good guy character I’ve ever read XD

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h

@faith-q You’d help him up? Or were you the one who pushed him off?

Faith Q.
                @faith-q
                  • Total Posts: 106

@keilah-h

Help that guy up? Uh-uh! No way on earth!

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h

@faith-q Ha, I feel that way about some characters too. But not any of mine, yet.

Karissa Chmil
                    @karissa-chmil
                      • Total Posts: 96

@keilah-h

Is there a character (from a WIP or a fandom) that you don’t like, but you don’t hate either?

Ohhhh, yes. Plenty. A few that come to mind are Lilah (Tuesdays at the Castle), Ron (Harry Potter), and Atretes (Mark of the Lion series).

Pick a character, from a WIP or a fandom, then say that character is hanging off the edge of a cliff, about to plunge to their doom. Which scenario best describes what you’d do?

1. I’d obviously extend my hand to help them up!
                      2. I’m the one who pushed them off in the first place.
                      3. I told them not to be such a daredevil, but did they listen?
                      4. I’ll just watch and see what happens….

I’m going to do two for this – one from a WIP and one from a fandom.

For my WIP, I’ll go with Cole. . . probably either three or four. XP Also depends on what part of his character arc we catch him on.

And as for one from a fandom, I’ll go with Jo March, by which case, it’ll hopefully be one (though three has potential XD).

In your mind, who is the worst antagonist/villain character out of all of the ones you’ve read/watched? The best protagonist/heroic character? (Real-life people don’t count.)

Worst antagonist. . . hm. Probably whatever villain it was in the Wormling series, by Chris Farby and Jerry Jenkins (though, to be honest, I have a lot of distaste for that series in general XD).

Best protagonist – Beauty, from Beauty and the Beast, is definitely up there. Ooh, and Heather and Picket from the Green Ember series.

Have you ever based a character in a WIP off of one in a fandom? (I have.)

Mm, I don’t think so, no.

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h

@karissa-chmil The Green Ember was great! And I totally get the “depends on the time in his character arc” thing. There are characters I only liked because I knew they’d turn good later. Otherwise I would’ve been like “That guy? Seriously?”

Annabelle
                        @annabelle
                          • Total Posts: 108

I hope you don’t mind if I pop in here!

1. Yes, I felt that way about Imogen from the Ascendance Series by Jennifer A. Nielson. She was nice, I guess, but I didn’t really connect with her. I think part of the problem was that she had like zero personality.

2. I’m going to go with Orion from my WIP. I would pick 2 or 4 for him. I absolutely hate him. Yet I can’t remove him from the book because he’s my antagonist 😛

3. Worst antagonist… hmm… I’d have to go with Bonifer Squoon from the Wingfeather Saga. I mean, he’s the most well-written antagonist that I’ve read, but he’s also so EVIL. For a protagonist… I would say Picket from the Green Ember. He is super heroic, and I loved his character arc.

4. Actually… I’m going to have to say no on that one. But I definitely should try that. Normally I base my characters off of random personalities I put together or off of real-life people.

In the words of Jinto Queb, "Hurry, reading is fun!"

Karissa Chmil
                          @karissa-chmil
                            • Total Posts: 96

@keilah-h Heheh, yep.

wonder | beauty | truth | love

Abigail.M.
                            @abigail-m
                              • Total Posts: 1242

@keilah-h

Okay, first of all, I gotta say that I love this. Second of all, I have quite a handful of characters that these questions apply to. Thank you in advance for this topic by the way.

Is there a characters I don’t like, but don’t hate either?
                              Okay so this might put Shannon Messenger fans on the defensive, but I’m gonna say Fitz Vacker from The Keeper of the Lost Cities 100% He’s is the kind of character that you just can’t quite hate, but if he were hit squarely in the face with a ‘pink splotch ball’, it’d make one the happiest person alive.

I’d say I would help any characters from my WIP back up from the cliff edge, even the villains so they could go and conjure another plot against the protagonist… I’m not the nicest writer. I’d also help up any character from LotR minus the balorg, orcs, Sauron, etc, etc. Gollum, I’d help up though.

Worst villains? Best hero? Are you sure real people can’t count…? XD Just kidding.
                              I’d have to say the worst villain as in the worst in being evil is: The White Witch from Narnia. There are other evil villains to be sure, in fact my mind is drawing a blank on almost every other villain I’ve ever read, but The White Which is hard to beat in this area.

But the best hero, now, I’d have to say is… that’s a hard one. My mind is tossing Star Wars characters around with Disney and LotR characters, making it hard to decide on just one. But I think Sam Gamgee deserves notice.

Nope, I haven’t based any of my character’s directly off of any fandom characters, (at least none that my brain let me remember). I do take traits from characters on fandoms though.

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h

@abigail-m I don’t mind Fitz, but I can see why people might. I’m just happy that you’ve also heard of the KOTLC series…..I like it, and it was funny when they told Sophie to “make him look pretty in pink.”

Sam is awesome! He was a great character, that’s for sure. And he’s kind of forgotten in the corner most of the time, which makes it all the better when he has his chances to shine.

And I totally get it! There are so many great characters in Star Wars AND Lord of the Rings!!

Lydia S.
                                @lydia-s
                                  • Total Posts: 399

@keilah-h

1. Definitely! I know for a certain book series, I feel that way about both the main characters. XD

2. For pretty much everyone (except maybe Sauron… Or the White Witch…), I’d say #1. (I’m a big believer in redemption arcs…😉)

3. The morally worst villain I’ve ever read about would maybe be Mordred from The Once and Future King or Frankenstein’s monster from Frankenstein. Or Shift from The Last Battle.  As for the best hero,  I’m going to agree with @abigail-m. Sam Gamgee is just phenomenal. He’s one of the best characters ever developed, in my humble opinion. 😉

4. Kind of…?? I have a character, Legatus, who has a few traits similar to Helmer but is very different in most ways.

Thanks for posting these; this was fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >