Salvete!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Salvete!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Elly
    @elly
      • Total Posts: 26

Hello! *waves*
      I’m new. But I’m an OYANer, and from what I’ve seen here so far and on the OYAN forum KP and OYAN are pretty familiar with each other. 😉 Bet you can guess who I am on the OYAN forum. 😛
      I like philosophy, watercolor, rain, toast, Plato, C.S. Lewis, and making things using various forms (sewing, painting, beading, carving, etc.). I think the Greeks are far superior to the Romans in nearly very way.
      I also love debate. Parli is the best and only way to properly debate in my mind (though I’ve never done anything else so I would be very biased).

Toast out.

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@elly Plato, ey? May his perfect forms be sold on the market for my siblings to shape dough better with.

Anyway, I’m glad you joined KP. As part of the ceremony here, I’d like to welcome you to the bestistet place on the internet! This is the shire 2.0.

What story are you writing now?

Also, by parli, do you mean parliamentarian?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1486

@elly Hello! And welcome again to the bestistet place on the internet! What’s your favorite book?

Elly
          @elly

@daeus
            Haha! Touche.

Thanks for the welcome! Why 2.0? Was there another that died?

I’m working on the Aliferous, my novel in which I break all writing rules known to man (or the less important ones anyway).

Parliamentarian? *googles* Oh- goodness, no. I’m talking about the lesser known Parliamentary formal debate- It’s similar to more widely known formal debate (i.e. Team Policy and Lincoln Douglas) but it’s impromptu and there’s no cross-x.

Elly
            @elly

@winter-rose
              Thank you! My favorite book…er. At the moment I’d say Mere Christianity, the Giver, or Fahrenheit 451. What are some of your favorites?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Elly.
              Northerner
              @northerner
                • Total Posts: 244

@Elly, salve! I like Plato and Lewis too. Philosophy is one of my hobbies, along with impromptu debates. Have you read any George MacDonald?

Christine Eaton
                @christi-eaton
                  • Total Posts: 306

@elly Welcome to our fine kingdom!! Glad to have you here. It really is great place with a bunch of great people. I’m sure you will enjoy yourself here. My name (as you can see) is Christi and I am KP’s social media manager and it really is a pleasure to meet you. I love your little motivational toast profile pic. How did you hear about KP?

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 1486

@elly Cool! I really need to read Mere Christianity. It sounds like a good book. I like the Wingfeather Chronicles and the first book in the Darkwater Saga. 🙂

Adry_Grace
                    @adry_grace
                      • Total Posts: 169

@elly Welcome to Kingdom Pen!! I am also quite fond of Plato. In fact, I just finished reading his work Meno for a school project. You said you like philosophy? Who is your favorite philosopher, if you have one.

CS Lewis is da bomb.

Michael Stanton
                      @michael-stanton
                        • Total Posts: 72

Welcome to Kingdom Pen! So glad to have you here! I too like to debate and would like to invite you to defend your claim that the ancient Greeks are superior to the ancient Romans.

The claim that Greeks are better in “every way” is overstepping a bit, so I will allow you to retreat to the claim that the Greeks are better “over-all” than Romans. Of course, I reject both of these claims for the following reasons.

1) The Roman Empire was longer and stronger (~350 years compared to ~500 years)
                        2) The Romans improved on Greek technology and art
                        3) The Romans literally defeated the Greeks
                        4) The Roman Empire allowed for relatively safe trade to exist throughout the Mediterranean Sea which in turn allowed for Christianity to spread throughout the known world at that time

In short, the Romans offer everything that the Greeks offer, but better. They were also more organized and more powerful.

Gracie
                        @graciegirl
                          • Total Posts: 889

@elly Welcome to the Kingdom! We’re happy to have you! Echoing @Christi-Eaton, I love your profile pic.
                          Watercolor is my favorite form of painting, even though I am probably more skilled with acrylic. 😄 What do you usually paint pictures of? People? Landscapes?

*is probably geeking out about something*

Adry_Grace
                          @adry_grace
                            • Total Posts: 169

@stewie-plotter @elly if we are going to have this debate, may I insert my opinion that Mary Poppins trumps both of these in the fact that she is “practically perfect in every way” and it’s always a “jolly holiday with Mary.” Seeing as the Roman empire fell, and Mary Poppins reign has yet to end, and that any time Greeks or Romans were involved, it was almost certain to be the opposite of a “jolly holiday.” Furthermore, Mary Poppins has magic and a good singing voice.

Ethryndal
                            @ethryndal
                              • Total Posts: 1013

@Elly Mae Govannen! Excellent choice in books. The Giver is one of my favorites, even though I haven’t read it in two years. What genre do you primarily write in? (Though if your book is called Aliferous, I think I can already guess… 😉 )

@Stewie-Plotter @Adry_Grace I would like to add that Greece and Rome actually originated from Mary Poppins’ bag, and therefore, neither can be better than her because she owns both.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Ethryndal.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Elly
                              @elly

@northerner
                                No, though I’ve had a few friends suggest him, I still haven’t got to it. Have you? Do you like his works?

@christi-eaton

Thank you! I heard about KP through One Year Adventure Novel.

@adry_grace

<3 Plato is the best! Hm. hard question. Again probably Plato. 😛

@stewie-plotter
                                I graciously accept your invitation!
                                The Greeks came up with great foundations first. They didn’t mind sitting and thinking, while the Romans were too busy inventing things (notice I said in my original post that the Greeks were better in /almost/ every way- I’ll give the Romans inventions). But the Greeks had philosophy. The Greeks had Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.

1.)Define stronger. The Greeks at least began to recognize the fact that they were violent and ought to have different goals (i.e. The Iliad and the Odyssey)

2.)Is it better to invent the lightbulb, or to invent a lampshade?

3.)Bigger numbers does not make the Romans better. Numbers don’t mean a thing, honestly. In fact, the Greeks still stood bravely knowing they would lose. They were a /better/ group of people, instead of a /bigger/ group of people.

4.)That was how God used a bad thing for his glory. You can’t honestly say that overall the Romans purposefully did good for the Christians.

@graciegirl

Thank you! Acrylic is fun too. I prefer to paint nature/ things- not skilled enough in people 😛 You?

Elly
                                @elly

@adry_grace

@ethryndal

Touche. Can’t argue with that- Mary Poppins will always be victorious.

@ethrynal
                                  Thanks! I prefer Fantasy, yeah. 😛 What do you like to write in?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >