Salutations, writers. I'm Xonos Darkgrate.

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Salutations, writers. I'm Xonos Darkgrate.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Emma Flournoy
    @emma-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 1352

@xonos-darkgrate That is so cool. INTJs are one of the neatest types. We have several on here, though only female as far as I know. Which are you? For some reason I thought you were a guy, but I don’t know.
      And I identify with getting more than one result. 😛 I’ve gotten several different results, and with a lot of reading and thinking it over have come to the conclusion that I’m an ENFJ ISFJ mix, with ENFJ being on top by a little bit.
      And welcome to KP! There’s so much stuff to look at here that you could really just start browsing anywhere—articles, past forum topics, etc.—and learn a lot. (And realize three hours later how long you’ve been on without realizing.)

Is your username one of your characters?

Joseph Darkgrate
      @xonos-darkgrate
        • Total Posts: 162

Thanks, @emma-flournoy! “Which are you?” I’m not sure what you mean by that, but I AM a guy. But after reading some more on Architects and Logicians, I find myself to be more Architect despite me getting the Logician result more than the other.

My username isn’t one of my characters in any of my book ideas. I just made it up for the game I play.

Life's a cruel joke, so you have to laugh at it sometimes.

EpicAddie2
        @epicaddie2
          • Total Posts: 794

@that_writer_girl_99 I’m about halfway through The House of Hades right now. Who’s your favorite HoO character? Mine’s Leo XD
          I totally understand your excitement when you got the book. Once I cried because I wasn’t able to buy a certain book, but when my mom saw me crying she bought the book for me. *happy dance*

INFJ ~ 4w5
          aldarley.wordpress.com

Ingrid
          @ingridrd
            • Total Posts: 830

@xonos-darkgrate I feel you. I just have so many worlds swirling around in this head of mine just waiting to be dumped onto a blank page. 😜

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

@xonos-darkgrate awesome! INTJs and INTPs both are so cool. 😀 I’m an INFP myself.

Joseph Darkgrate
              @xonos-darkgrate

Hey guys, here’s the intro to a book I’m working on. Please give you opinions and criticisms on it.

It is a mistake to think that the odds will miraculously be in your favor merely because you “make them”. There is always an anomaly, a small change in events, or something that was always there. The point being, when you have the cards you don’t just play them. You play the odds as well. So go ahead, play both, just don’t expect to win. -Jake of Jacks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, at the expense of many lives and hearts, and from a world that is otherwise forgotten,

The City of Cards

I still hear them. Those voices. Crying out to me out night, screaming in my ears. Telling me to go back, to where exactly was beyond me. Sometimes I found myself screaming back at them. When I told my psychologist, he just gave me another prescription. More pills, more sleep, but sometimes sleep couldn’t drown the owners of the voices. The would claw my subconscious, forcing themselves into my dreams. I would wake up, sometimes my bedside lamp would be broken, but my landlady was kind and would replace it for me.

When I first began living there, I scared the living heck out of her… She soon became accustomed to it, earplugs are quite useful nowadays don’t you know? Especially when you have a young man who randomly screams his guts out, but she had a son like me. I asked if he had the voices too, but she just patted my head and handed me a plate of prune pancakes. I later learned that he was gone, a car crash. I choked down every pancake she served after I found out. Soon, she was like a mother to me. I regret that I never told her, and now I’m stuck telling it to her grave. And I realized that I never knew her name, when I read the inscription on the gravestone I ran home and cried. Not in fear, but in sorrow. Something I thought I left behind in my past. Her name was Margaret.

The new landlord isn’t even close to her. He’s a fat slob. I hate him.
                He wasn’t happy when his pretty wife dropped his dinner on his ugly pants when I screamed on his first night. He told me that unless I stopped pulling pranks, he would kick me out. I said I understood, then I went upstairs where the voices got me again. So that’s where I found out that he’s a devout man of his word. Now I’m essentially homeless and the only friend I have is this tailless cat I found in my section of the dump. He keeps biting me, but is fine when I’m screaming so I decided to call him Margaret. I didn’t care that he was a guy, I was depressed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a job, I’m an artist. I used to graffiti old buildings and trucks when I was a kid, but now I illustrate children’s books and the occasional comic book. They always get my name wrong, for some reason they put it down as Danny King. My real name’s Damien King, and no matter how many times I explain, they always list Danny because they think it’s the stupid abbreviation for Damien. It’s not. Well after my boss found out I didn’t have a home anymore, you can guess where my job went. Down the gutter, ironically, I now sleep in a gutter. I told Margaret about my plight, he bit me, I hugged him, that was our relationship.

I don’t have any family, not that I know of. My mom died when I was four. Would it be cheesy to say that my father was a drunk and sent me off to some middle-of-nowhere art school. I was almost happy when one of the deans came and told me that he died in the middle of a cold winter night, but I was grateful that I got to learn here. I came back home for his funeral, I even chose a gravestone for him. It said “The Dead Keep No Warmth Within Their Dead Embrace” .

I still wonder if I chose it out of pity or actual remorse at never fixing our broken bond, but in that dark alley where I spent my days with Margaret, I wished I had a family again. I used to have a sister and a brother. My sister couldn’t care less about us “dumb-wads”. Sometimes I wonder if Phoebe thinks about me, but I doubt it. She’s the CEO of a major bank company now.

My brother’s name was Brandon. He was obsessed with magic, but as he matured, illusion. When we were kids, he would force me to act as his assistant as he performed for our then good-natured sister, but in his later years he changed. He didn’t become an egotistic, power hungry monster like Phoebe, but he did seem a bit off. He would disappear for days, then weeks, then months. Each time returning with some strange artifact or other. My sister remarked that every time he brought something back, he’d lose bits of something else. I asked her what, she told me in a low voice, “His soul…”

It seems only fitting that he would disappear again, only to never return. We tried checking his plane tickets and his journals, but we couldn’t figure out where he went. Phoebe soon dismissed his death as “Nothing. He’s useless if he’s dead.” I didn’t give up that easily, he was my big brother. I loved him, more than my dad and Phoebe at least. I searched all his journals, studied those artifacts for hours. I couldn’t find a single clue as to where he disappeared. Investigators told us that he was probably picked off by a street gang or mobsters, but I knew that he was too smart to get caught like that. So I didn’t believe them, yet over time I began to. My mind began rationalizing it, and soon it made sense even though I knew it… didn’t.

Dad soon pawned off all the artifacts so he could afford more booze, he was sad too. I got into a fight with him for it. I left the house in anger, not knowing that I would be sent off to art school a week later, but I didn’t leave without something to remind me of Brandon. I took one of his artifacts, something I could fit into my pocket easily: a card.

I took it out of my jacket. I studied it as Margaret bit my knee. I didn’t even react as I was completely mesmerized by the card. It was gold on one side, pearl white on the other. It was a King Card, so it had a important-looking man imprinted on it. He was holding a silver sword in one hand and a golden staff in the other. I looked closer and saw infinite gold lines swimming and wrapping around the edges and the card itself. Almost hypnotized, I tried looking at it even closer. I must have been really tired because for a second, the king resembled Brandon. I was thinking about him for a moment before Margaret bit me, and I came to my senses. I rubbed my sore eyes and my hands came away wet. I was crying, I missed him. I missed my family. I slipped the card back into my jacket and slept. I didn’t care about the voices anymore, not at that point. Margaret chased them away.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elizabeth
                @that_writer_girl_99
                  • Total Posts: 1819

Yep, that’s exactly what she means. @xonos-darkgrate

It’s funny you mention the argument behind not reading Harry Potter, because this is where my mother stood, up until the moment when I told her that I felt I was strong enough in my faith to not be effected in any way by reading about such witchcraft and magic. It took several conversations, but eventually she relented. I read the books, and soon my brother and sister were allowed to read them too. They really aren’t that bad.

Here’s what I mean by that last statement. Witchcraft, in and of itself, isn’t a good concept. In Biblical terms, it can often symbolize the work of the devil himself, trying to sow darkness into the hearts of men. But pushing back against that darkness is God; Christianity’s purpose is to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with others and by doing that, share the light. That’s the concept we’re dealing with here, in the world in which Harry Potter takes place. Because on one hand, you have Voldemort, the Big Bad, who–with his own followers–is trying to take over the world in a typical overlord-ish manor. On the other hand you have the “good guys”, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Hermione, Ron, and a host of other good wizards. The Harry Potter series embodies a standard “good versus evil” plot–something which, in my opinion, is copied after the greatest story of good versus evil ever: Jesus versus the Devil, pure goodness versus pure sin.

The world is constantly searching for a way to explain the reason behind how our world works. Magic is just another example of this– a way of explaining how things are done. If anything, the Harry Potter series is just another indicator that the world is searching for Jesus. We live in a lost world where people are stuck on the concept of good versus evil. Harry Potter is just an example of this, put into book form.

That’s my two cents. I don’t really want to argue about this, because in the end it’s just a book series and it’ll fade away eventually, but there’s my opinion nevertheless. Thoughts?

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Elizabeth
                  @that_writer_girl_99

Oh, definitely Percy. @epicaddie2 His character is just…awesome. That’s all there is to it. Percy Jackson is a great character.

EpicAddie2
                    @epicaddie2
                      • Total Posts: 794

@that_writer_girl_99 Percy is pretty great too XD And honestly, I don’t agree with how Leo treats some of the others, but the poor child has had a hard life.
                      Have you seen the new official art?

INFJ ~ 4w5
                      aldarley.wordpress.com

Joseph Darkgrate
                      @xonos-darkgrate

That’s true, @that_writer_girl_99. But here’s my point. Wizards, witches, “spells”, the magic in itself is not what the Bible teaches. I’ll respect your choice not to argue, but my last point is that if you REALLY want a good representation of good and evil, read the Bible. Not a book that portrays something evil as BOTH evil and good.

Anyways, thanks for your “two cents”. 🙂
                        Xonos Darkgrate

Elizabeth
                        @that_writer_girl_99

Fair enough. In my own defense, I do read the Bible, I’ve just chosen to guard my own heart against the “evil” in the Harry Potter books and enjoy it as a story instead. That’s how it was meant to be taken, after all.

@xonos-darkgrate

Aislinn Mollisong
                          @aislinn-mollisong
                            • Total Posts: 445

Hey, Xonos! I’ve been on Aetherlight all day, and I just now remembered, “Hey! Xonos joined KP today!”

HOW DID I MISS THIS?!??!?!?!

And thank you, @Daughteroftheking for not pouncing on him. He might have Blaze-caned you.

If you guys like Xonos’ work, you should check out Aetherlight Origins!! It is…*searches for right words* I can’t think of anything but EPIC!!!!!

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                            https://forums.theaetherli

Elizabeth
                            @that_writer_girl_99

What even is Aetherlight, anyway? @aislinn-mollisong @xonos-darkgrate

Joseph Darkgrate
                              @xonos-darkgrate

It’s a Christian themed game we play. It’s directed towards younger teens, (as I am one), but I know a few adults that play it. It’s actually pretty fun. Slow, at times, but fun! Here’s a link to their website, https://theaetherlight.com/

but I’m always around on the forums: https://forums.theaetherlight.com/

@that_writer_girl_99

J.A. Penrose
                                @jess-penrose
                                  • Total Posts: 377

Heheh, well, here comes a belated ‘Aiya’ from over here! Oooh, sounds like ye write some interesting things… *squints* are you on Wattpad, or just know about it and are looking for a safer place?
                                  Also, just to find out a tad about you, what is the purpose of your existence here on Earth?
                                  Anyways, welcome to KP @xonos-darkgrate

Writer | Freelance Editor
                                  Inspiration&lt

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >