Rogue One

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    The Impossible Girl
    @f5a8c3e92
      • Total Posts: 146

@graciegirl Same! I’ve got to work on my English assignment now, but just had to say something.

"Not all who wander are lost."
      Wild Australian. INXJ.

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien
        • Total Posts: 440

@northener @graciegirl I’ve read a bit of the backstory, and I love the fact that Pippin and Diamond had a boy named Faramir, and he married Sam and Rosie’s girl, Goldilocks. Someday I’ll get round to reading it through. And the Silmarillion, but that is far and away currently.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

NC Stokes
        @daughteroftheking
          • Total Posts: 1156

*hands @PrincessFoo the Rangers of the north sign-up sheet*
          LOTR. Don’t even get me started. I will ramble for days about how awesome it is. *waves* Hi elves! I’m from Rohan. *mounts horse and rides away*

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

PrincessFoo
          @princessfoo
            • Total Posts: 194

@daughteroftheking
            *Stares at sign-up sheet* YES!!!!!!

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @dragon-snapper @graciegirl @ethryndal

Ok, I’ve watched Rogue One. I liked it. I hope you’ll forgive me, but for me it was a bit of a mixed bag. I understand this is a dastardly statement, so I’ll try to explain myself.

For me, the movie was clearly divided into two sections. Pre going rogue and post going rogue. During the battle was very well done, but before the battle was grade B. Why do I say that? The main problem was the characters. You see, for most of the first half of the movie, all the good guy characters were basically just drifting. They weren’t driven from the inside. There was the minor goal of finding that one rebel guy and getting an audience with him but 1.) Jyn didn’t care about that at all personally 2.) Cassian (is that how you spell his name?) didn’t seem too personally concerned about it either. It was his mission, sure, but he didn’t seem too emotionally involved to me. There was nothing really to sympathize with about these two characters because there was nothing they were yearning for. They weren’t deep people. The pilot — I guess he had a yearning, but it wasn’t clear to me until half way through the movie. That’s another complaint of mine: the first half was hard to follow. Now that I’ve seen the Pilot’s full story though, I do think he was one of the best developed characters. I liked him.

The guy with the automatic blaster didn’t seem to have a clear yearning, but he was a descent character. The guy with the staff was better in my opinion because, even though what drove him was slightly vague, he was clearly attached to his friend and he did have a drive to be one with the force and help out the other rebels. I liked him right off the bat, though his repetitive mantra got very annoying. 😛

Now, what I find really interesting here is that the villain actually stood in stark contrast on this issue. He did have a clear yearning. I actually really liked the villain. He’s certainly not a Kylo Ren, but I still thought he was really good. The villain was very driven on two clear issues: the completion of the death star and his personal promotion. That made him very relatable. On top of that, they pitted him against the Tarkin guy (is that how you spell his name?) which made you root for him in a way. His psychology was all very clear in everything he did. Jyn and Cassian on the other hand were almost wooden to me at first. I didn’t understand their psychology very deeply and I don’t think the actors did either. Poor actors.

A note on Jyn: she was too cold. I liked Rey way better. Rey was an awesome female protagonist — she wasn’t overbearing or rudely feministic, but she was very capable and very real. Perfect, basically. Jyn didn’t have much emotion. In fact, I found her facial expressions when her dad was talking to her on the hologram overdone because I didn’t really know that she cared about him that much. That’s how cold she was.

Now, I haven’t mentioned the droid yet. The droid was just perfect, okay? Best character in the whole movie. I won’t say much about him because there’s too much to say.

Oh, and the Tarkin guy — his CGI was rather obvious I think, but Leia! WOW… I was totally blown away by how well they recreated her.

Another thing I really liked was the scene where Cassian was about to shoot the father what’s-his-nam-guy, but didn’t. The way they showed the scene through his scope was really well done.

Now, I did say that I loved the second half from when they went rogue and everything after that. Why’s that? It’s because all of a sudden the characters had a yearning. They were out to do everything they could to save the galaxy. Huzzah! Huzzah! The script writer pressed a button and my sympathies went all in. That’s when Jyn and Cassian came alive to me and the Pilot just really shone.

The battle itself was really well done I felt. It was a blast to watch. Of course, I tend to like battles, but this one was just extra cool for some reason. And the storm troopers were actually pretty good shots in this movie! 😛

By the end, I was definitely emotionally moved. Very far from crying and, I must say, not even stunned really, but I was emotionally moved so it was a success.

So, yes, I did certainly like it, it just needed some help if it wanted to be a masterpiece. Please don’t kill me. I feel terrible writing this. *grimmace*

🙂 🙂 🙂

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

G. B. Carter
              @graceofspades2017
                • Total Posts: 81

*silently reads all of this stuff about Rogue One, listening to all the deep insight and knowledge*

Ehem…

All I know was that I liked it for its realistic ending, though it was sad.

There’s my philosophical bit of info. 😀

Myers-Briggs Type (MBTI 🙂 ): INTP-T

Daeus
                @daeus

@graceofspades2017 Hehe. 🙂 Yes, that’s quite a bit of good input there.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

*tips her hat to you for taking the unpopular opinion*

@Daeus
                    all fair points. I can see what you’re saying, definitely, and in some measure I agree, but it didn’t prevent me connecting to the characters. I thought it was kind of the point that they were all hopeless rebels without a cause. Though I will admit I was intrigued by them more than I loved them at the start, especially Cassian. (Yep. Spelled it right. 😉 ). His characteristic moment just blew me away, and gave me a fascination with him that lasted until his arc progressed and I could actually love him for the choices he was making.

As for Jyn, I actually like her better than Rey, though it’s close. Rey… Rey has room to grow on me. I like her, but thus far, though she’s a very broad character, she hasn’t run very deep. Both she and Jyn had their eyeroll moments, but if it’s a contest between the two I think I like Jyn a little better. Perhaps because I got to see all her development already over the course of one movie, while Rey can progress more gradually. 😉

And… it was just the opposite for me with Tarkin and Leia and the CGI. I had to squint at Tarkin to see that it was CGI, but when Leia turned around I did an immediate double take and didn’t like it. *shrugs* Personally I think they could have just cut right where the door was opened and we saw her standing there in her white robes that everyone recognizes.

And K2SO is just amazing. 😀 ‘Congratulations. You are being rescued. Please to not resist’. XD

I really like Chirrut too. (The blind half-Jedi). Some people say he’s annoying but I never got that.

In all honesty, this was only my favorite Star Wars by a tiny bit. If the plot of The Force Awakens hadn’t been a basic rip-off of A New Hope, it would have been tied or really, really close. Because… Kylo Ren. 😀

Oh, good thoughts on Krennic by the way. I agree. He was a very good villain. And his death was very fitting.

So basically… I get you. Good thoughts. 😉 I shall not kill you.

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

Oh, and did you notice that the Lies that began both Cassian’s and Jyn’s arc are both passive? For the theme’s sake that was necessary, as they were learning to stand up and do something in the name of hope. That was the whole point.

Gracie
                      @graciegirl
                        • Total Posts: 889

@Daeus

First off…
                        K2

And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Daeus
                        @daeus

@kate-flournoy Congratulations on connecting with the characters. I think if I could have connected with them earlier on, I probably could have liked them a lot more.

I’ll only argue on one point. Being hopeless and without a cause has nothing to do with whether a character has yearning. Because Harold. *nods sagely*

Ha! Ok, that’s really funny about the CGI. 😀 😛 😀

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
                          @daeus

@graciegirl 😛

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy
                              Gracie
                              @graciegirl
                                • Total Posts: 889

@Daeus Okay, now that I’m through with the formalities….*brushes hands off*

You have a very good point. The second half was definitely where things got good. And even though I could never put my finger on exactly what it was, I did have this feeling there was some big difference between the two parts. The characters’ motivations suddenly sky-rocketed after the confrontation on Eadu (I think that’s how you spell that), and I think you’re right about that being the reason for the sudden brilliance of the third act.

As for Jyn being cold, I’m not with you 100%, but I can understand how she could be perceived as such. Rey may very well be the better character of the two, but, for whatever reason, I connected with Jyn on a deeper level than with Rey so I have to choose her as my personal favorite. (Who are we kiddin’ though, they’re both awesome examples of how to do a strong female character, right? 😉 ).

And I agree with you about Krennic. It was great how the writers got you to sympathize with him via his interaction with Tarkin.

Cassian, I believe, is one of those characters that you have to think about big picture with, you know? You have to fill in the blanks that they can’t show in the movie that he has had a rough time in the Rebellion, and that he’s been losing faith in his justifications for a long while now. It’s almost as if we meet him as his story/arc/whatever is coming to a close. We’re seeing the effects of several years of doubt oppression and it’s difficult for that to mean anything to us because we never had the chance to see those years.

I dunno if any of ya’ll have figured it out by now, but I am 90% what the book/movie/character made me feel or experience and 10% how well they were written. XD Those overlap quite a bit as a well-written movie/book/character should evoke such a response, but I will give acres and acres of wiggle room to a work for simply meaning something to me. Rogue One may be one of those instances. My INFP-ness is wholly responsible for this, I’m sure. Zikers, I’m such a Feeler… 😆

Anywho. *stern look* You’re points are valid, so I suppose I can disdain to speak to you again occasionally, Daeus, but this will not go unremembered. *mutters* Rogue One not a masterpiece. Bah! 😜

🙂 🙂 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Gracie.
                                • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Daeus.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Daeus
                                @daeus

@kate-flournoy Yes, you’re totally right, but it has nothing to do with yearning. *imagines himself staring attentively at a toad crossing the road*

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >