Revolutionary War story idea

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Historical Revolutionary War story idea

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Esther
    @esther-c
      • Total Posts: 3205

@savannah_grace2009 @whalekeeper @trailblazer

Oh… oops. XD I didn’t know this would start a whole discussion. But that’s okay! It’s really interesting to hear y’all’s opinions.

I wasn’t necessarily trying to say that publishers aren’t looking for a good book. I’m just saying that publishers can be really harsh with what they accept and what they don’t. Some authors got rejected SO MANY TIMES and their books were amazing! They just had to find the right people to review their book. That didn’t mean their writing wasn’t good enough. On the contrary, their writing was great, the publishers just didn’t want to take a risk. (from what I understand and from what I’ve heard and been told)

Yeah, that’s fair. Generally, they’re looking for good writing and a good story, but yes, they do want to publish what will sell, which may or may not be your genre.

I was never saying that your book is perfect and publishers just reject you for no reason. They always have legitimate reasons. And I agree, having good intentions never fixed all my mistakes!! If only it were that easy XD And I also wasn’t trying to say that Christians are always rejected or targeted. Sorry, it’s not your fault…I’m just really, really bad at explaining myself! I was trying to say that sometimes publishers don’t like the things you write because they wouldn’t be interested in reading that style. Your book could be perfect and you could be rejected because the publisher doesn’t see the point of your story (I have felt this before with critique partners. My story is a fantasy, and the critique partner doesn’t even like to read fantasy or sci-fi, so his view was always very negative. At least, that’s what I always felt.)

I think this also comes down to who you send your manuscript to. If you write adult historical fiction, it wouldn’t be a good idea to send it to a company that is focused on publishing young adult fantasy. But there are publishing companies out there who will sell good writing, regardless of the genre, this is just when you should do your research if you were to take the traditional publishing route.

Okay, okay okay that is not what I was trying to say! I was not at all saying that just because I’m a Christian that my writing is better than everyone else’s! I’m saying that if God puts a story on my heart, I need to share it. That doesn’t mean I won’t have to work at it. It just means that he put the love of words in my heart and the inspiration to write it. I don’t really know what I was trying to say…sorry for the confusion!

I think you’re trying to say that if God’s will is for you to write and publish this story, then sometimes you have to self-publish because traditional publishers won’t accept it… is that what you were getting at? Correct me if I’m wrong. XD I see what you’re saying though. This is probably where prayer is really important (I mean, it always is, lol) because He may want you to get published with some big company, or He may want you to publish it on your own. Because He’s got a plan for what He wants to do with your story, and we have to make sure we’re in line with His plans.

Right now I’m just barely holding all my emotions together with my WIP…I am really really unhappy with it…(I just had someone critique me already recently…and it never gets easier dealing with it!!! WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SO EMOTIONAL?!?!) I feel so immature and “weak” getting sad about every little thing…but for some reason it hurts every time.

I want to grow as a writer. My point from the very beginning was never to say that you shouldn’t go through hard things to be a better writer. I guess I was just trying to explain that I’m just a very sensitive and emotional girl, and it’s harder for me to deal with it than some writers. So I totally understand how some people would want to avoid getting told your writing belongs in the garbage.

This is probably kind of my fault, lol. Sorryyy 😅 If I want to make a point like I did, I’ll just make it and not normally think about how someone else would view it. It’s just my personality. Not that that’s an excuse at all! I’m just very straightforward about what I think. Our family works that way too. If we want to make a point, we’ll lay out all the facts and not tiptoe around anything. XD

Anyway… yeah I totally understand where you’re coming from. Personally, I’m not super sensitive to critique, though it can get me down sometimes, it just kind of depends. I agree with what Whaley was saying:

“No. I, as my own individual, could not forgive myself if I didn’t go through the wringer first. I want to prove myself.”

I want to have that satisfaction, the proof. I can write, and people think my writing is unique, and special. And I’m not just fooling myself.

The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards traditional to do just that. Prove myself to… well, to myself, lol, but also to anyone else. There are fantastic self-published books out there, and I’m totally for self-publishing, but there are also some pretty trashy self-published books out there because the authors didn’t spend the time and effort they should have on their project.

I’m for both types of publishing and definitely not against either in any way. I just think that writers who aim to self-publish should be careful to get their work read over by professionals, and not just people who know them, even if they are your critique partners. There’s something different about getting critique from people you don’t know, just because they don’t have bias. Idk, I guess my preference is to be traditionally published so I have that feeling of… yes, my writing is good enough to be published. Not that self-published writing isn’t. Like I said earlier, some self-published books are great.

Honestly, I think it just comes down to preference and, like I mentioned earlier, prayer. God knows how your story will touch someone’s life, and He knows exactly how it needs to be published. So yeah, that’s just my opinion. 😉 Hopefully everything I said makes sense, lol.

@sara

Right now I’m just barely holding all my emotions together with my WIP…I am really really unhappy with it…(I just had someone critique me already recently…and it never gets easier dealing with it!!! WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SO EMOTIONAL?!?!) I feel so immature and “weak” getting sad about every little thing…but for some reason it hurts every time.

Ok, so I’m going to try to encourage you in this area, but I’m not an expert at encouragement or empathizing with others who are different than me, so bear with me. 😂

Girl, if God wants your story out there in the world, then it’s gonna get out there. Critique is helpful, but take all critique with a grain of salt. There are some things that must change in your story to make it better, but there are also things that are the critiquer’s stylistic preferences. Don’t let the negative feedback get you down. It will make you a better writer, I promise. It has for me. And sometimes, you just need to not get any feedback on your writing for a while and just write. I know simply writing and writing helped me get better. For example, I’m writing the third draft of one of my books, a book that I stepped away from for a bit while I wrote something else, and I’m looking back at the second draft and going, “And I thought that writing was good?!” XD If you keep writing, you’re going to get better, I promise.

As more and more young authors self-publish, I feel like there’s this push to get published young, whichever way you choose. Sure, being published young is a big accomplishment, but not everyone’s a prodigy!!! Take your time. Your book will be just the way God wants it to be in His timing. You just have to trust Him. One thing that’s helped me in the past year is praying over my writing. I surrender it to God and ask Him to use it for His glory. It’s all His. I want words on the page that He wants on the page. Because He knows what words are going to change that one reader’s life.

Trust the process, or rather, trust the One Who knows the process. You’ve got this, Sara. Your writing is already really good for someone your age, so keep at it!! I know that God can use you and your writing for His glory. Trust Him. Leave it in His hands. And do what you know how to do as best as you can. I’ll be here for you as long as this glitchy forum is chugging away. I know the other writers on here also want to see you succeed. So keep on writing, girl. You’ve got this. ❤️💪

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
      @esther-c

Woah, that post is massive. Sorry Janessa for hijacking your topic 🤣

Trailblazer
        @trailblazer
          • Total Posts: 591

@esther-c

Sorry Janessa for hijacking your topic 🤣

It’s all good! I don’t mind if there’s conversation on here because I don’t really have anything else to post at the moment anyway lol. Plus I contributed XD

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Esther
          @esther-c

@trailblazer

Ok good, lol. XD

Sara
            @savannah_grace2009
              • Total Posts: 1980

@esther-c

I think you’re trying to say that if God’s will is for you to write and publish this story, then sometimes you have to self-publish because traditional publishers won’t accept it… is that what you were getting at? Correct me if I’m wrong. XD I see what you’re saying though. This is probably where prayer is really important (I mean, it always is, lol) because He may want you to get published with some big company, or He may want you to publish it on your own. Because He’s got a plan for what He wants to do with your story, and we have to make sure we’re in line with His plans.

Yes! That is basically what I was saying XD

This is probably kind of my fault, lol. Sorryyy 😅 If I want to make a point like I did, I’ll just make it and not normally think about how someone else would view it. It’s just my personality. Not that that’s an excuse at all! I’m just very straightforward about what I think. Our family works that way too. If we want to make a point, we’ll lay out all the facts and not tiptoe around anything. XD

Anyway… yeah I totally understand where you’re coming from. Personally, I’m not super sensitive to critique, though it can get me down sometimes, it just kind of depends.

Wow, we’re totally different people…haha! I am always so insecure and scared I’ll hurt someone’s feelings or they’ll take it the wrong way!! And you’re good (:

I was reading an interview with a writer, and she said that you don’t have to be “tough” to be a writer. She said that she herself is also very sensitive…and I was like “YES! I have found a kindred spirit!” lol XD anyway…I’m just an emotional person in general haha!

The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards traditional to do just that. Prove myself to… well, to myself, lol, but also to anyone else. There are fantastic self-published books out there, and I’m totally for self-publishing, but there are also some pretty trashy self-published books out there because the authors didn’t spend the time and effort they should have on their project.

Okay…so something about this makes me kind of panic a little…because I don’t feel the same way. Like is there something wrong with me? Should I want to prove myself? Because right now I’m just too scared to even try to think about being published by a traditional publisher…cuz I’m worried that I have nothing to prove, because my manuscript is a complete mess and I absolutely hate it right now!

Ok, so I’m going to try to encourage you in this area, but I’m not an expert at encouragement or empathizing with others who are different than me, so bear with me. 😂

Girl, if God wants your story out there in the world, then it’s gonna get out there. Critique is helpful, but take all critique with a grain of salt. There are some things that must change in your story to make it better, but there are also things that are the critiquer’s stylistic preferences. Don’t let the negative feedback get you down. It will make you a better writer, I promise. It has for me. And sometimes, you just need to not get any feedback on your writing for a while and just write. I know simply writing and writing helped me get better. For example, I’m writing the third draft of one of my books, a book that I stepped away from for a bit while I wrote something else, and I’m looking back at the second draft and going, “And I thought that writing was good?!” XD If you keep writing, you’re going to get better, I promise.

My problem is that I’m too scared to reject any critiques because I’m worried that they’re right, and because I’m afraid I’ll offend them or make them upset with me if I don’t take their advice.

Negative feedback has made me a better writer, but it’s also putting a bunch of stress on me that my writing needs to be perfect and that I’m a bad writer.

And thanks <3 (:

Lukas&Livia
              #Lalbert
              Sef&Chase
              #HOTTOLINE
              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
              @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

Okay…so something about this makes me kind of panic a little…because I don’t feel the same way. Like is there something wrong with me? Should I want to prove myself? Because right now I’m just too scared to even try to think about being published by a traditional publisher…cuz I’m worried that I have nothing to prove, because my manuscript is a complete mess and I absolutely hate it right now!

It’s okay to feel that way! Someone was saying this earlier- was it Esther?- that there’s sort of a pressure among young writers to publish as a young author. And while it might be fun to publish while you’re still a teenager, I think there are benefits to waiting, too, especially if you feel like you still have a long ways to go. Don’t rush the process; it’s okay to dream about publishing your story and getting it out there for the world to see, and it’s fine to set goals for yourself, but I think sometimes we’re missing some of the growth process by trying to rush it.

I wasn’t even thinking seriously about publishing while I was in high school, and I’m really glad I didn’t, because it took off the pressure, and I was able to just focus on writing whatever was inside of me that needed to get out. High school is such a crucial time for personal growth, and I think as you grow and mature in your character and who you are as a child of God, your writing will mature, too. Now that I’m older, I’m thinking a little more about publishing, but my main focus is still writing what’s on my heart and then learning how to fine-tune that and grow my writing. I’m very aware that my writing still needs work, and while it would be great to publish someday, I’m okay with waiting until I’ve grown enough as a person to be able to write well, because I know I still have a lot to learn, too. (I mean, even practically, I haven’t had much experience with romantic relationships, so in that area, I’m lacking a little in being able to write it well).

Anyhow, I hope that’s helpful and not just a long, meaningless rant!

Esther
                @esther-c

@savannah_grace2009

Yes! That is basically what I was saying XD

Ok I’m glad I got that right XD

Wow, we’re totally different people…haha! I am always so insecure and scared I’ll hurt someone’s feelings or they’ll take it the wrong way!! And you’re good (:

Hey, that’s not a bad trait to have. 😉

I was reading an interview with a writer, and she said that you don’t have to be “tough” to be a writer. She said that she herself is also very sensitive…and I was like “YES! I have found a kindred spirit!” lol XD anyway…I’m just an emotional person in general haha!

That’s so true though! You don’t have to be tough, you just have to know how to accept negative feedback. Which is definitely not always easy. I don’t think anyone actually enjoys getting negative feedback on their work. XD

No, no, no! This is just how I personally feel about it. You don’t need to prove anything. But I like giving myself a challenge, that’s how my brain works. If I challenge myself to do better and work harder, I know I will. But this doesn’t work for everybody, so don’t stress about it. Write at your own pace and just focus on getting better each time you sit down to write. Sometimes it’s helpful to look at the end goal of being published or having a final draft you’re actually happy with, but other times, you just need to forget that for a little bit so you don’t freak yourself out. (I thought I could get published by age 12… I’m 14 now… Yeah, I set the bar way too high for myself, lol. Even now, I’m probably not anywhere close to getting published. XD)

And… it’s okay for your manuscript to be a hot mess right now, lol. That’s what drafting is for. 😉 Which I know like every writer says that, but it can be hard to get into your head. I struggle from time to time with doubting if my writing will ever be good enough, just in general. Like I had said earlier, you don’t need to get published, either way, within the next few years. Trust God’s timing on it. Personally, I want to have at least two books published by the time I graduate college, maybe more, God willing. But, that may not be what God wants for me. I might not be ready for it.

Basically, I agree with what Janessa was saying. XD So yeah, don’t stress about it. Take your time. There’s no rush. 🙂

My problem is that I’m too scared to reject any critiques because I’m worried that they’re right, and because I’m afraid I’ll offend them or make them upset with me if I don’t take their advice.

Ok, so I’m going to state a fact blatantly… and I am in no way trying to offend anyone…

If your critique partner gets upset because you rejected their advice, then they’re not a very good critique partner.

😅 At least that’s my opinion on it. There’s a responsibility on you as the author to sift through the critiques and figure out what will work for your story and what won’t, but there’s also that responsibility of the critiques partner to give their thoughts and advice, and then step back and let the author choose. Because I feel like if you’re not a professional editor, sometimes critiques can turn into opinions that won’t necessarily make your story better. Of course that’s not always the case—people have given me some fantastic feedback that has greatly influenced my writing, but there are times that critiques are just opinion. Anywayyy… (that may have been a little off-topic… whoops 😂)

What I try to do with the advice other writers give me is think about what I want for my story and how this advice will either help me reach that goal, or push my story farther away from it. (If that makes sense). You don’t have to tell them that you didn’t take their advice. I think I always let people who critique my writing know that I’ll think over what they told me (unless I can explain something that was unclear). So that way I don’t have that pressure to tell them if I’ll do what they suggested or not. That works for me, I don’t know if that would work for you or not.

(These last couple of paragraphs may have just been a rant of my opinions and not been helpful at all. 😂 In that case, my apologies.)

Negative feedback has made me a better writer, but it’s also putting a bunch of stress on me that my writing needs to be perfect and that I’m a bad writer.

Yeah, it’s hard to not think that when you get negative feedback. I totally understand. Just know that your writing doesn’t have to perfect right now. I think I may have touched on this earlier in my post and Janessa was talking about it…You’ve got time. I know it’s hard not to stress about stuff, I stress about other things in my life sometimes, but I think the best way to combat that, is to remind yourself of what you know to be true. Like, you don’t have to be a perfect writer right now. Just because someone marked up your manuscript with a red pen doesn’t mean you’re a bad writer, it just means you’re still learning and growing, just like everyone else.

And thanks <3 (:

Of course. 😊

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 8156

@trailblazer Love the idea!!!

I love how it sounds so far.

Book Suggestions for the American Revolution? Prepare yourself XD

FICTION⬇️

• Preacher on the Run by Jayna Baas
                    • Sophia’s War by Avi
                    • Seeds Of America Trilogy by Laurie Halse Anderson
                    • I Survived: The American Revolution, 1776 by Lauren Tarshis
                    • My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier & Christopher Collier
                    • Fever: 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

NON-FICTION⬇️

• The British Are Coming! The British Are Coming! The war for America, Lexington to Princeton, 1775-1777 by Rick Atkinson
                    • Guts & Glory: The American Revolution by Ben Thompson
                    • The Patriots by Winston Groom
                    • Forged In Faith: How Faith shaped the birth of the Nation: 1607-1776 by Rod Gragg

and as for writing a male MC, I will definetely second what @esther-c said and recommend this KP article:

(just remove the space after the H; KP hates links for some reason XD)

h ttps://kingdompen.org/boxes-of-tools-tangles-of-yarn-part-1-know-your-character/

(and part 2 is linked at the bottom)

Anyways, pls keep me posted! I’d love to hear more about this in the future!! ✨✨

Anonymous

@esther-c

*jumps into the convo*

I understand what you’re trying to say, and I respect your opinion, but if good writers don’t do self-publishing, would that not just prove to the world that Traditional is still the only way to go? If good writers only go for traditional, that leaves all the “bad” writing in the self-publishing area. And wouldn’t that imply that bad writers self-publish and good writers traditionally publish?

also, I’ve felt led to say this…but pls, pls, PLS don’t see this as an attack, bc I care about you and everyone here very much…but if you want to go with traditional publishing to “prove” yourself, are you really wanting to publish for a good reason?

Pls take this with a grain of salt, but in my opinion, we, as Christian authors, should have our main goal be for our stories to touch lives and bring people closer to Christ. It’s not about proving ourself to the world, making sure our writing is absolutely perfect (though we should do the very best we can!!), and having everyone look up to us and seeing that we’re a “good writer” and all that.

You see, I’m publishing…but I don’t care about the money. Money is good and all that, but the main goal I have for my writing is for my books to touch lives and hearts through God’s power. Now will God use it that way? Idk, but I’m placing it in his hands.

Pls don’t think that any of that was anything against you. If you want to go with traditional publishing, then you go for it, and I will support you all the way!!!

But I think it’s important, especially as Christian authors, to know the “Why” of writing, and that includes publishing.

Love ya, girl 🩷🩷

Trailblazer
                      @trailblazer

@freedomwriter76

Thanks for the book recs! I will definitely be looking into them! The American Revolution is one of my favorite time periods to study.

Esther
                        @esther-c

@freedomwriter76

I understand what you’re trying to say, and I respect your opinion, but if good writers don’t do self-publishing, would that not just prove to the world that Traditional is still the only way to go? If good writers only go for traditional, that leaves all the “bad” writing in the self-publishing area. And wouldn’t that imply that bad writers self-publish and good writers traditionally publish?

Oh ok, I can see what you’re saying. I may sound like I’m against self-publishing, but I’m not. In fact, both are still very open options for me in the future. 😅  I think all I was trying to say is that some people self-publish books that they’ve barely edited just to get published. Like they don’t spend enough time trying to polish their work. Now of course, not all self-published books are like this. There are plenty of very good self-published books out there. (Like yours soon to be!! *excited squeal* 😆) So yeah, does that make sense? I’m not saying that bad writers self-publish and good writers get traditionally published. That’s not what I was trying to say at all. I think I was just pointing out that some people will self-publish just to get their book out there, even if it’s not good. (Whether they’re aware of that or not). In no way am I promoting one publishing method over the other (even though it sounds like it 😂) or saying one is not a good option. In fact, I think both are great; but maybe what I was saying earlier didn’t make it sound like that. (:

also, I’ve felt led to say this…but pls, pls, PLS don’t see this as an attack, bc I care about you and everyone here very much…but if you want to go with traditional publishing to “prove” yourself, are you really wanting to publish for a good reason?

Pls take this with a grain of salt, but in my opinion, we, as Christian authors, should have our main goal be for our stories to touch lives and bring people closer to Christ. It’s not about proving ourself to the world, making sure our writing is absolutely perfect (though we should do the very best we can!!), and having everyone look up to us and seeing that we’re a “good writer” and all that.

You see, I’m publishing…but I don’t care about the money. Money is good and all that, but the main goal I have for my writing is for my books to touch lives and hearts through God’s power. Now will God use it that way? Idk, but I’m placing it in his hands.

Oh my goodness, I did not mean for that to sound like my only reason for publishing! From the very beginning, writing for God’s glory has been my number one goal, and I’m not ever planning to change that.

Being completely honest and transparent here, there is the aspect of being published traditionally where I can say “I’m published by so-and-so” that appeals to me. But… that’s my pride creeping in and I really need to kick it out. It’s something I struggle with a lot, but the Lord’s been good and merciful and He’s been gracious as He helps me overcome my struggle with pride.

So yeah, overall, my main goal is to write for His glory and point my readers to Him. Whether that’s through self-publishing or traditional publishing is completely up to Him. 😊 I think that goal to “prove” myself probably needs to be knocked a little lower on my scale of priorities.

Pls don’t think that any of that was anything against you. If you want to go with traditional publishing, then you go for it, and I will support you all the way!!!

But I think it’s important, especially as Christian authors, to know the “Why” of writing, and that includes publishing.

Of course not!! No, I appreciate it. I didn’t know I had come off that way and I didn’t notice that I had gotten a little distracted from the real reason I write. Thank you so much for pointing that out, tho. ❤️

Love ya, girl 🩷🩷

Love ya too 🩷😊

Anonymous

@esther-c

Oh ok, I can see what you’re saying. I may sound like I’m against self-publishing, but I’m not. In fact, both are still very open options for me in the future. 😅  I think all I was trying to say is that some people self-publish books that they’ve barely edited just to get published. Like they don’t spend enough time trying to polish their work. Now of course, not all self-published books are like this. There are plenty of very good self-published books out there. (Like yours soon to be!! *excited squeal* 😆) So yeah, does that make sense? I’m not saying that bad writers self-publish and good writers get traditionally published. That’s not what I was trying to say at all. I think I was just pointing out that some people will self-publish just to get their book out there, even if it’s not good. (Whether they’re aware of that or not). In no way am I promoting one publishing method over the other (even though it sounds like it 😂) or saying one is not a good option. In fact, I think both are great; but maybe what I was saying earlier didn’t make it sound like that. (:

That clears things up entirely. Ty for explaining 😊 I understand what you mean, and I’ve heard people say similar things for sure, so I do understand. :3

I just want to have more control over what I do with my novel, and I don’t want a publisher to stand in the way, that’s all 😉

Oh my goodness, I did not mean for that to sound like my only reason for publishing! From the very beginning, writing for God’s glory has been my number one goal, and I’m not ever planning to change that.

Of course! I know you’re passionate, but I was just making sure that wasn’t your main reasoning, bc, speaking from experience, I know we can sometimes lose sight of the true “why” of writing

Being completely honest and transparent here, there is the aspect of being published traditionally where I can say “I’m published by so-and-so” that appeals to me. But… that’s my pride creeping in and I really need to kick it out. It’s something I struggle with a lot, but the Lord’s been good and merciful and He’s been gracious as He helps me overcome my struggle with pride.

I do understand. I’m happy God is helping you work through that❤️ We all have struggles, and I admire you for admitting an area that you’re weak in <3 We all have room to grow, even when we get older. (like, I still have a LOT of room to grow…even tho I’ll be 17 this Fall 😂)

So yeah, overall, my main goal is to write for His glory and point my readers to Him. Whether that’s through self-publishing or traditional publishing is completely up to Him. 😊 I think that goal to “prove” myself probably needs to be knocked a little lower on my scale of priorities.

Yes, let God lead you. He may pull you to traditional or self-publishing. I’ll just encourage you to follow his voice <3 And if you ever need someone to talk to, I’m always here❤️

Of course not!! No, I appreciate it. I didn’t know I had come off that way and I didn’t notice that I had gotten a little distracted from the real reason I write. Thank you so much for pointing that out, tho. ❤️

I felt led to say it, so I’m happy to hear that it didn’t hurt you at all, bc I’d never want to do that🩷 Of course. I’ve had people talk to me about things that I didn’t realize, and it’s helped me grow. Yw! <3

Love ya too 🩷😊

🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷

Esther
                            @esther-c

@freedomwriter76

That clears things up entirely. Ty for explaining 😊 I understand what you mean, and I’ve heard people say similar things for sure, so I do understand. :3

Ok, I’m glad that made sense. 🙂

I just want to have more control over what I do with my novel, and I don’t want a publisher to stand in the way, that’s all 😉

Yeah, I totally get what you’re saying. 😊

Of course! I know you’re passionate, but I was just making sure that wasn’t your main reasoning, bc, speaking from experience, I know we can sometimes lose sight of the true “why” of writing

Yes, that’s so true. It’s not always easy to keep Him the number one focus, but in the end it’s so worth it. 😊

I do understand. I’m happy God is helping you work through that❤️ We all have struggles, and I admire you for admitting an area that you’re weak in <3 We all have room to grow, even when we get older. (like, I still have a LOT of room to grow…even tho I’ll be 17 this Fall 😂)

Oh yeah, growing in our relationships with the Lord is always a lifelong journey. No one ever knows everything and no one is ever perfect. But that’s exactly the reason for God’s mercy and grace. <3

Yes, let God lead you. He may pull you to traditional or self-publishing. I’ll just encourage you to follow his voice <3 And if you ever need someone to talk to, I’m always here❤️

Thanks so much. 😊

I felt led to say it, so I’m happy to hear that it didn’t hurt you at all, bc I’d never want to do that🩷 Of course. I’ve had people talk to me about things that I didn’t realize, and it’s helped me grow. Yw! <3

I’m glad you did. I needed to hear that. 😅😂

Whaley
                              @whalekeeper
                                • Total Posts: 2589

@savannah_grace2009

Coming back late to this 😅

There is nothing wrong with feeling sad about something like that!! You should be allowed to feel frustrated over something and process it in your own way. That’s not weak. You are growing every single day.

I want to grow as a writer. My point from the very beginning was never to say that you shouldn’t go through hard things to be a better writer. I guess I was just trying to explain that I’m just a very sensitive and emotional girl, and it’s harder for me to deal with it than some writers. So I totally understand how some people would want to avoid getting told your writing belongs in the garbage.

I’m starting regret ever posting that reply….because I just confused myself and probably all of you guys too with all my idiotic “points”.

Girl… 😥❤️

Look, I never wanted to make you feel like you were less capable of handling criticism than the rest of us. My points about God and self-publishing were more directed towards everyone on the thread, but even so, I got hung up on the details and misunderstood you. That was my fault, not yours, and I apologize ❤️

I’m sorry I made you feel misunderstood, and I hope you’ll forgive me?

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Sara
                                @savannah_grace2009
                                  • Total Posts: 1980

@whalekeeper

Look, I never wanted to make you feel like you were less capable of handling criticism than the rest of us. My points about God and self-publishing were more directed towards everyone on the thread, but even so, I got hung up on the details and misunderstood you. That was my fault, not yours, and I apologize ❤️

I’m sorry I made you feel misunderstood, and I hope you’ll forgive me?

Aww it’s okay! I was never offended ❤️❤️❤️ And it’s not really your fault…I’ve never been good at conveying my thoughts XD

Lukas&Livia
                                  #Lalbert
                                  Sef&Chase
                                  #HOTTOLINE
                                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >