Revolutionary War story idea

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Historical Revolutionary War story idea

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Trailblazer
    @trailblazer
      • Total Posts: 591

Ok, I know I already have too many WIP’s, but I had another idea I’ve been working on this week. I’ve been doing a crazy amount of research for this one and haven’t started any writing yet, which is a bit unusual for me because usually I start writing and research what I need to know as I go. (Probably not the best method, but that’s how I roll lol)

So- this story is set during the American Revolutionary War period, and the MC is a 17-year-old named Henry Williams, an apprentice for the Boston Gazette. I don’t have much of the plot worked out yet, since I’ve just been learning as much as I can about the war itself (and a study of journalism in the 1700s). I think I’m going to have Henry join the Continental Army, so I can sort of follow the chain of events closer to where the action is instead of from a distance. As far as the major conflict and resolution of the story, I don’t quite have that figured out yet, either. It’s all sort of just an idea inside of me that I want to write but don’t know how it’s going to play out yet. It could be that it will turn into a series (since the war covers eight years) with different conflicts throughout multiple books, but again, this whole thing is still in the very beginning stages.

That said, if anyone has any interesting plot ideas or conflict suggestions, let me know! Or if there are any good book recommendations from that time period, I’d love to hear them.

I don’t think I’ve ever written a story where my MC is male instead of female, so I could use some tips in that area as well, or perhaps just feedback once I’ve gotten something written.

Tags- @savannah_grace2009 @hybridlore @vinagirl @rae @freedomwriter76 @mineralizedwritings @grcr @esther-c @walkbyfaith @anyone-else

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Sara
      @savannah_grace2009
        • Total Posts: 1980

@trailblazer

Oh wow!!! This is a really cool idea!!

I’m not really sure how you want your story to go…but I would really recommend developing your characters before any plotting! Figure out their character arcs and internal conflicts. (Abbie Emmons on YouTube really helped me learn why internal conflicts matter! But if you do watch her videos…prepare to be overwhelmed! XD though I don’t agree with everything she says…it makes a lot of sense as confusing as it is…so I would encourage you to check it out!)

Lukas&Livia
        #Lalbert
        Sef&Chase
        #HOTTOLINE
        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Esther
        @esther-c
          • Total Posts: 3202

@trailblazer

Oooh, I like the idea!!

That said, if anyone has any interesting plot ideas or conflict suggestions, let me know! Or if there are any good book recommendations from that time period, I’d love to hear them.

I will say writing a book over the span of eight years could be a challenge, but I’m sure you could do it. 😉 A series isn’t a bad idea though! I like it! I don’t have any ideas for the plot or conflict off the top of my head, but I’ll try to think of some and get back to you later. 🙃

I don’t think I’ve ever written a story where my MC is male instead of female, so I could use some tips in that area as well, or perhaps just feedback once I’ve gotten something written.

*rubs hands together* Ah, my area of expertise. 😈 Jkjk, I just have written from the POV of more male characters than female. 🤣 So honestly, it’s not much different from writing a female character. The biggest piece of advice I can offer you is to know your MC really well. If you know the character from whose POV you’re writing from, then you’ll be able to write that POV without a ton of difficulty (for the most part). There are some general differences to keep in mind, like women tend to be more feeling than men. A situation might be a bigger deal to them than it is to a man. But your character could be very feeling as well, that’s a possibility. I feel like women also tend to read into a situation a lot more, if that makes sense. For example, they might think over something a lot longer than a man might. Again, this isn’t something that’s the same for every woman or every man, it all depends upon your character’s personality.

I know something that’s helped me to keep my character voice unique (at least it’s helping me as I try to), is giving a different font to each character that somewhat matches their personality. I typically write from dual POVs, so I’ll have two separate fonts in one doc, but you can do this throughout your different stories. I feel like it helps a lot with knowing you’re writing from that character’s POV, and it gives them a little more personality.

So yeah, the biggest thing to keep in mind is to stay true to your character’s personality. That’s pretty much how I do it. XD And I’d love to give you some feedback if you share a snippet from this idea.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
          @esther-c

@savannah_grace2009

Oh my goodness so I just watched one of her videos on why she chose to indie publish her book, and she claimed she wasn’t bashing traditional publishing but… you can tell she’ll never traditionally publish any of her books. 🫤😂 And she was saying that some people will give their manuscript to a publishing company, get rejected, think they’re a terrible writer or not good enough, and never write again. So ummm…. There’s a reason they reject you… it’s because your writing’s not good enough (for the most part). So yeahhh… And if you’re going to be a good writer, you have to learn how to deal with rejection. If you can’t, then… I’m sorry. XD Anyway, that’s just what I was thinking during the whole video and I wanted to rant about it for a second. 😂 Neither way is bad and I think both are great ways to get published if you do it right. 😉

-GRCR-
            @grcr
              • Total Posts: 944

@trailblazer

Ooo!! Cool idea!

I don’t have any plot ideas and such right now, but I’ll let you know if I think of any!

Aannddd… even though I write mostly male characters, I don’t really have any advice. 😅 I agree with what Esther said, though.

“What be a cretin?”
              “Of course you wouldn’t know. It’s a… bread you put in salad.”

Trailblazer
              @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

I’m not really sure how you want your story to go…but I would really recommend developing your characters before any plotting! Figure out their character arcs and internal conflicts. (Abbie Emmons on YouTube really helped me learn why internal conflicts matter! But if you do watch her videos…prepare to be overwhelmed! XD though I don’t agree with everything she says…it makes a lot of sense as confusing as it is…so I would encourage you to check it out!)

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll have to look into it!

@esther-c

I know something that’s helped me to keep my character voice unique (at least it’s helping me as I try to), is giving a different font to each character that somewhat matches their personality. I typically write from dual POVs, so I’ll have two separate fonts in one doc, but you can do this throughout your different stories. I feel like it helps a lot with knowing you’re writing from that character’s POV, and it gives them a little more personality.

I’ve done this with some of my stories before, especially the ones that are written in first person! I was planning on writing this one in third person, because if I’m doing it in first person my characters tend to look a lot more like me, lol, and I want to develop Henry as his own person. I was considering doing a dual POV with his sister as well, but I think at this point that might complicate things too much. I should probably first develop his personality and motives and figure out what I want to accomplish in this book.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Esther
                @esther-c

@trailblazer

Yeah, sometimes it helps to have two POVs, and other times it’s not necessary. I’ve become so accustomed to it though, that when I start coming up with a story idea, my mind naturally creates two POV characters. XD

Glad I could help!!

hybridlore
                  @hybridlore
                    • Total Posts: 1354

@trailblazer

I don’t know too much about that time frame, and I haven’t read any books in it that I can think of right now. Also, I have pretty much zero experience writing from male POVs, so I wouldn’t be much help there either, lol. But it does sound like a cool idea, and I would love to read it once you start it!

There is always light behind the clouds.
                    - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Sara
                    @savannah_grace2009

@esther-c

So ummm…. There’s a reason they reject you… it’s because your writing’s not good enough (for the most part). So yeahhh… And if you’re going to be a good writer, you have to learn how to deal with rejection. If you can’t, then… I’m sorry. XD Anyway, that’s just what I was thinking during the whole video and I wanted to rant about it for a second. 😂 Neither way is bad and I think both are great ways to get published if you do it right. 😉

Honestly…I’m sorry but I kind of agree with Abbie on that point…a lot of times (from what I have heard) traditional publishers don’t appreciate the genres you write. They don’t understand your beliefs and the purpose behind the story. Only you can tell the story that God has laid on your heart, and just because someone doesn’t appreciate it does NOT mean (in my opinion) that your writing’s not good enough.

I understand that all writers need to learn to deal with rejection, but you have to understand…that getting rejected by a publisher would be REALLY, REALLY HARD for writers (I’m mostly speaking for myself) to deal with. Like, I basically have a mental breakdown whenever someone makes a bunch of edits on a chapter I thought was good. I eventually get over it, but it’s so hard to know that it’s not good. I always panic that my writing is horrible, I’ll never be good enough, I’ll never be more than some nerd who thought she could write…so I am all for what she said in her video. I am just one of those people who are so emotionally attached to my writing and there’s so much anxiety that comes from that.

And honestly…I will probably just self publish my book. It seems like less stress for me and more affordable, I guess?

I am seriously one of those people who would get so discouraged that I wouldn’t write for years if I got rejected. I am that emotional. Some people are just more sensitive? In that scenario, maybe I wouldn’t be ready to publish, but the feeling of rejection and fear would just keep me from writing.

Lukas&Livia
                      #Lalbert
                      Sef&Chase
                      #HOTTOLINE
                      LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

RAE
                      @rae
                        • Total Posts: 3000

@trailblazer

One book that I found interesting is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein. It’s sci-fi, but it is about a revolution on Luna against Terra, and the parallels are brilliant! I actually have a clearer picture of what it must have been like in some ways in the revolutionary war. Beware, Heinlein is not a Christian. There’s nothing really bad, just there are some unbiblical ideas (like Manny’s family, you’ll see what I mean if you read the book)

That’s really as much as I can give you besides, I do have a conflict idea…

What if Henry has a friend who’s a Redcoat? You could bring out the strife and yet friendship on the two sides of war.

Anyways, this is a take it or leave it post.

#Justiceforsandwichclone
                        #theclonesdeservedbetter
                        #HugRikerSquad
                        #HugHans

Trailblazer
                        @trailblazer

@rae

What if Henry has a friend who’s a Redcoat? You could bring out the strife and yet friendship on the two sides of war.

Ooh that’s an interesting idea! I’ll have to think about that.

Whaley
                          @whalekeeper
                            • Total Posts: 2589

@esther-c @savannah_grace2009

*Busts into the conversation* 😂

I think Savannah, you have a point that publishers are looking for marketable material. But Esther has a good point of view, that publishers are also looking for well-written material to a degree, because readers like good writing, and therefore good writing will sell. I’m not saying all readers have quality taste, but just on average, they have at least some sense of what is good and what is bad.

Only you can tell the story that God has laid on your heart, and just because someone doesn’t appreciate it does NOT mean (in my opinion) that your writing’s not good enough.

Also, this is my own opinion, take it or leave it please 😅 But I don’t think we Christian writers should have any preconceived notions about whether our writing is a “gift from God.” If you love your writing because it is coming from your heart, and you don’t care if people like it, be my guest! But we shouldn’t assume our writing is automatically better than others’ because we are Christians. I know for a fact there are people who can write better than me, and they aren’t even writing a story which they would call a special story, a story “from God.” Because if you think about it, logically, God gives every writer their abilities. I’m not downplaying your story, I’m sure it’s valuable. But it isn’t more valuable than say, an atheist’s, unless we actually compare them to each other and identify which one is more honest as a work of art.

Honestly…I’m sorry but I kind of agree with Abbie on that point…a lot of times (from what I have heard) traditional publishers don’t appreciate the genres you write. They don’t understand your beliefs and the purpose behind the story.

I also don’t believe Christian writers are destined to be rejected by the publishing realm, because obviously Christians have been published before and become classics. Sometimes they are targeted, but sometimes they aren’t, and they are rejected because they actually aren’t writing to the best of their abilities. I have watched process videos by real literary agents. And just watching them critique first pages, I can agree with everything they are rejecting. They are looking for good stories. Sometimes they play favorites. But they are doing it for a reason.

You may have a purpose for your story, but a published book is meant to be read by an audience. You do have to think about the quality of a book you are writing. Having good intentions isn’t enough.

I understand that all writers need to learn to deal with rejection, but you have to understand…that getting rejected by a publisher would be REALLY, REALLY HARD for writers (I’m mostly speaking for myself) to deal with.

I understand… it’s REALLY hard, I agree.

It’s about if you would rather keep up your self-esteem, or harden yourself so you can improve the craft.

You can self-publish, and have reasons. Maybe you just want to publish the story because it is a story close to your heart, that you love and want to see come alive. That is a perfect reason. Do that. Do it, girl.

Traditional publishing is perfectly fine, though, and I am going to try traditional publishing. Ever since I was a kid, my parents have been urging me to self-publish. But I told them, “No. I, as my own individual, could not forgive myself if I didn’t go through the wringer first. I want to prove myself.”

I want to have that satisfaction, the proof. I can write, and people think my writing is unique, and special. And I’m not just fooling myself.

I think it’s a question for each writer to ask themselves. I just want to point out the benefits of traditional publishing, and how, unlike pretty much everyone on here, I have purposefully avoided self-publishing.

I hope no one was offended… just.. this is what I think ❤️

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Trailblazer
                            @trailblazer

@whalekeeper @savannah_grace2009

I think you’ve got a good point there, too. While self-publishing is easier, and I would probably take that route if I was only intending for a smaller audience to read my book (say, family and friends who are taking more of an interest in it), I also want to know that my writing is good quality, and I don’t want to fool myself into thinking that it is. Sometimes the truth is hard to hear, but it’s what is necessary for healthy growth, and if I want to grow as a writer and steward my skills to the best of my ability, then maybe that means having a professional editor look over my material and give me feedback.

I totally understand the rejection side of things, and I get that it can hurt to have someone tell you your writing isn’t good. But I would rather know the truth than be told that it’s good when it really isn’t. One thing I’ve learned as I’ve been working full time and taking on more responsibility is that I can’t grow unless someone points out to me the blind spots where I need to grow.

My brothers used to criticize my writing all the time (when I let them read certain stories) and honestly, it hurt, and I stopped letting them read it. Now that I look back at those stories, I can see that everything they said was right, even though I didn’t want to hear it. I think part of it is our approach to feedback- are we willing to listen and be teachable, and actually grow from the tips, or are we going to simply shut down because it’s not what we wanted to hear?

Now, I do think my brothers could have delivered that criticism differently. Instead of immediately picking out all the things that were wrong with it, if they would have been mature, they could have pulled out the good parts of the story as well, and pointed out where I did a good job, and then also given me ideas of how to change the bad parts to make it better.

Sara, please don’t take this as me attacking your perspective. I know you have your reasons for where you stand, and I understand where you’re coming from, too.

Sara
                              @savannah_grace2009

@whalekeeper @esther-c @trailblazer

Okay…I think I’m just not good at saying what I mean. Let me try again, haha!

But Esther has a good point of view, that publishers are also looking for well-written material to a degree, because readers like good writing, and therefore good writing will sell. I’m not saying all readers have quality taste, but just on average, they have at least some sense of what is good and what is bad.

I wasn’t necessarily trying to say that publishers aren’t looking for a good book. I’m just saying that publishers can be really harsh with what they accept and what they don’t. Some authors got rejected SO MANY TIMES and their books were amazing! They just had to find the right people to review their book. That didn’t mean their writing wasn’t good enough. On the contrary, their writing was great, the publishers just didn’t want to take a risk. (from what I understand and from what I’ve heard and been told)

Also, this is my own opinion, take it or leave it please 😅 But I don’t think we Christian writers should have any preconceived notions about whether our writing is a “gift from God.” If you love your writing because it is coming from your heart, and you don’t care if people like it, be my guest! But we shouldn’t assume our writing is automatically better than others’ because we are Christians. I know for a fact there are people who can write better than me, and they aren’t even writing a story which they would call a special story, a story “from God.” Because if you think about it, logically, God gives every writer their abilities. I’m not downplaying your story, I’m sure it’s valuable. But it isn’t more valuable than say, an atheist’s, unless we actually compare them to each other and identify which one is more honest as a work of art.

Okay, okay okay that is not what I was trying to say! I was not at all saying that just because I’m a Christian that my writing is better than everyone else’s! I’m saying that if God puts a story on my heart, I need to share it. That doesn’t mean I won’t have to work at it. It just means that he put the love of words in my heart and the inspiration to write it. I don’t really know what I was trying to say…sorry for the confusion!

I also don’t believe Christian writers are destined to be rejected by the publishing realm, because obviously Christians have been published before and become classics. Sometimes they are targeted, but sometimes they aren’t, and they are rejected because they actually aren’t writing to the best of their abilities. I have watched process videos by real literary agents. And just watching them critique first pages, I can agree with everything they are rejecting. They are looking for good stories. Sometimes they play favorites. But they are doing it for a reason.

You may have a purpose for your story, but a published book is meant to be read by an audience. You do have to think about the quality of a book you are writing. Having good intentions isn’t enough.

I was never saying that your book is perfect and publishers just reject you for no reason. They always have legitimate reasons. And I agree, having good intentions never fixed all my mistakes!! If only it were that easy XD And I also wasn’t trying to say that Christians are always rejected or targeted. Sorry, it’s not your fault…I’m just really, really bad at explaining myself! I was trying to say that sometimes publishers don’t like the things you write because they wouldn’t be interested in reading that style. Your book could be perfect and you could be rejected because the publisher doesn’t see the point of your story (I have felt this before with critique partners. My story is a fantasy, and the critique partner doesn’t even like to read fantasy or sci-fi, so his view was always very negative. At least, that’s what I always felt.)

It’s about if you would rather keep up your self-esteem, or harden yourself so you can improve the craft.

You can self-publish, and have reasons. Maybe you just want to publish the story because it is a story close to your heart, that you love and want to see come alive. That is a perfect reason. Do that. Do it, girl.

Traditional publishing is perfectly fine, though, and I am going to try traditional publishing. Ever since I was a kid, my parents have been urging me to self-publish. But I told them, “No. I, as my own individual, could not forgive myself if I didn’t go through the wringer first. I want to prove myself.”

I want to have that satisfaction, the proof. I can write, and people think my writing is unique, and special. And I’m not just fooling myself.

I think it’s a question for each writer to ask themselves. I just want to point out the benefits of traditional publishing, and how, unlike pretty much everyone on here, I have purposefully avoided self-publishing.

I am just really bad at explaining my thoughts…I think I just need to stop talking! XD

I never meant that I am fooling myself into thinking my writing is good. I know it’s not….and that’s kind of why I’m too scared to even try getting it published. Right now I’m just kind of unhappy with my writing and I’m losing hope of ever getting published, by myself or anyone else, so maybe that’s where I’m getting this? Idk.

I also want to know that my writing is good quality, and I don’t want to fool myself into thinking that it is. Sometimes the truth is hard to hear, but it’s what is necessary for healthy growth, and if I want to grow as a writer and steward my skills to the best of my ability, then maybe that means having a professional editor look over my material and give me feedback.

I totally understand the rejection side of things, and I get that it can hurt to have someone tell you your writing isn’t good. But I would rather know the truth than be told that it’s good when it really isn’t. One thing I’ve learned as I’ve been working full time and taking on more responsibility is that I can’t grow unless someone points out to me the blind spots where I need to grow.

Yes! I agree with this so much!

If I’m understanding this correctly, can’t you have a professional editor look over your writing even if it’s self published? You can still hire an editor without a publisher, I think.

Right now I’m just barely holding all my emotions together with my WIP…I am really really unhappy with it…(I just had someone critique me already recently…and it never gets easier dealing with it!!! WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SO EMOTIONAL?!?!) I feel so immature and “weak” getting sad about every little thing…but for some reason it hurts every time.

I want to grow as a writer. My point from the very beginning was never to say that you shouldn’t go through hard things to be a better writer. I guess I was just trying to explain that I’m just a very sensitive and emotional girl, and it’s harder for me to deal with it than some writers. So I totally understand how some people would want to avoid getting told your writing belongs in the garbage.

I’m starting regret ever posting that reply….because I just confused myself and probably all of you guys too with all my idiotic “points”.

Sorry guys!

Lukas&Livia
                                #Lalbert
                                Sef&Chase
                                #HOTTOLINE
                                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
                                @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

Don’t beat yourself up over it! I struggle to convey things a lot, too, and I also am not very familiar with publishing since I haven’t looked into that, so my lack of understanding in that area probably contributed to the confusion.

Right now I’m just barely holding all my emotions together with my WIP…I am really really unhappy with it…(I just had someone critique me already recently…and it never gets easier dealing with it!!! WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SO EMOTIONAL?!?!) I feel so immature and “weak” getting sad about every little thing…but for some reason it hurts every time.

Writing is hard. I can’t tell you how many times I sit down to write and don’t like what I see, and don’t know how to fix it. I’m not a super emotional person (well… most of the time lol) but that doesn’t mean I don’t feel the frustration of knowing something needs to change but not knowing what or how to change it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >