Reader Behavior Survey

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform Reader Behavior Survey

• This topic has 72 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Daeus.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Audrey Caylin
    @audrey-caylin
      • Total Posts: 323

I’ll bet that I’m the only one who didn’t want to hear about a price-drop on an author’s book in their newsletter xD

And… *whispers* I never go to the library. I live right next to one, but they never have the books I like to read 😛 I’d rather spend a few bucks on an ebook than scour every library in my city for the novel I want.

Christine Eaton
      @christi-eaton
        • Total Posts: 306

@daeus, I filled that out for ya.

@audrey-caylin
        I never go to the library either, if I go I just look at books and find myself not interested and never get anything. My kindle is my best friend and I’ll only actually buy books if it is one that I have already read and really really loved, or it’s a hardback copy that’s like a dollar at a thrift store.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Audrey Caylin
        @audrey-caylin
          • Total Posts: 323

@christi-eaton yep. The last time I got an actual book was for Christmas, and that was because I wanted to read it a third time and stare at the cover xD

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@Daeus To be sure: should I take the survey now, or wait?

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@emma-flournoy You can do it now.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

SleepwalkingMK
              @sleepwalkingmk
                • Total Posts: 179

@daeus Done! This is such a great idea! I live overseas, so some of the options (I can’t get paperbacks, donate books to libraries) may have been affected by that. I hope that doesn’t throw off your results.

@audrey-caylin
                I actually don’t want to hear about a price-drop, either 🙂 Wow,I didn’t know I wasn’t alone in this! I don’t go to libraries much, but I love being in one.

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Michael Stanton
                @michael-stanton
                  • Total Posts: 72

@Daeus For your rating questions, you might consider structuring them based on agreement.

So, instead of asking:
                  How much does a book’s prosaic quality influence whether you will share about it with others? (the writing style)

You would say:
                  A book’s prosaic quality (writing style) influences whether I will share it with others.
                  Strongly Disagree 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Strongly Agree

I only say this because this is more widely accepted methodology and if you are looking to share the data with others, you need it to be acceptable methodology. It also allows for statistical caparison between questions because there will be less unexplained variation from question to question.

As a general note, try to ask yourself what each answer could mean. If you can think of multiple ways a single question or answer could be taken by a reader, try splitting up the question or making it clearer what you are asking for. At the same time, however, try to find ways to be concise. It is a little on the long winded side at the moment and could use some tightening.

Hope Ann
                  @hope
                    • Total Posts: 1092

@daeus I…umm, may have filled it out too. Sorry. I’m not sure how to go back and edit my response. Also, is there anywhere you’ll be sharing the results of the survey?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
                    @daeus

@hope Yes, I will be creating a video of me going through and analyzing the results and Josiah has agreed to share that directly through KP.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy

@Daeus All right, I took the survey. Have an info dump.

CAUTION: INFO DUMP BELOW

Not about the questions—but the times you say ‘Christian’ in the intro aren’t capitalized.

Books that internet friends suggest (i.e. people you follow on Goodreads, Facebook, etc.)
                        For that one (Which of the following do you use at least 2-3 times a year to make book buying decisions?), I checked it off, as well as personal friends, because while I don’t follow people on Facebook or Goodreads, I consider people on KP Internet friends, and have read several books because of their recommendation. I feel like personal friends with many people on here, but they’re still Internet friends. So I dunno, should that have an option for forum friends or something?
                        Oh and also, those questions were for ‘book BUYING decisions’— but I don’t necessarily buy every book I want to read. Sometimes I just get it from the library. So I’m not sure how that would affect your results.

A little picky note—a couple times on page 3 a word that should’ve been ‘its’ was spelled ‘it’s’.

With the first question on page 4, the question could be changed a bit. I still answered the first option, but it didn’t say all I’d have thought. If I were offered a free ebook from an author whose book I just read and loved, I’d love to read the book, but I don’t like reading ebooks very well. So I’d be less likely to sign up for it not because I was afraid of giving away my e-mail, but because I vastly prefer physical books. Maybe you could make an option for that.

Well…a few more little picky notes. The first option for the 2nd question on page 4 says ‘peak’ which should be ‘peek’. Same in the 6th option for the 1st question on page 5. On the 8th option for that same question, the wording is switched around towards the end. On the 7th option for the 3rd question on page 5, ‘new years’ should be ‘New Year’s’, I’m pretty sure.

With the 1st question on page 6, I answered no, but that’s only because I don’t go to the library often, and also our library doesn’t have an excellent selection of the kind of books I like. (When I hear of a good book I want to read, I order it from a larger library to ours. If it’s not there, I’d either forget about it or swallow my penny-pinchingness and just buy the book. Which may or may not be hard for me, considering how raving of a recommendation I heard.)
                        It might very well be different if I got books at the library more and had a better library.

Aaand ‘etc’ on the last page had no period at the end.

Okay, I said it was an info dump. Hope it’s all helpful. 🙂

Also, the survey was fun to take, even though it was kind of difficult and required a lot of thought. I loved the personal feel/style it had to it too. And the quill on paper picture at the top, which is way more interesting than just a blank page with columns and columns of questions. Makes us feel less like we’re under interrogation, you know.
                        (Now I wonder how long it took you to think up all those questions and options. 😮 )

Daeus
                        @daeus

KeePers everywhere!

1,000 strong. That’s my goal.

I am thrilled to announce the launch of the new Reader Behavior Survey. If you haven’t already read through this thread, the Reader Behavior Survey is a survey I put together that asks readers detailed questions to probe into how they think and what influences them. “Why?” you ask. Well, these questions are specially designed to give writers insight into how to make good marketing decisions. I really think that if we can get this survey out to a lot of people it will be a huge help to us as writers.

But I really need some help.

To get truly reliable statistics, we need a lot of people to take this survey.

I’m aiming for 1,000.

Now, that may seem like an insane goal, but we can do it. If I could get just 30 of you to help me launch this thing to 15 people each, we’d have 450. If we can ask those people to spread the word to their friends, we can easily achieve this.

When the data’s all in, I’m going to be doing a video going through it and explaining how you can act on what the data shows. This will really help you as a writer.

So could I have your help? I’ll be doing all I can, but this is way more than I can handle by myself. If you can lend a hand, just email this link to your friends and ask them to share it with others when they’re done.

Link: https://goo.gl/forms/L695kISR23bbI0732

Thanks so much!

@Kina-Lamb

@Arella-Noreen

@DelightInLife

@GracieGirl

@Rachelle

@R-J-Wordsmith

@GabrielleMassman

@Dragon-Snapper

@Asyia-Serene

@Abigail-Blomberg

@Northerner

@Emma-L

@Leumeister

@PerfectFifths

@I-J-Anderson

@NatalieMarie

@Rebelutoinary

@Ethryndal

@Writefury

@Sierra-R

@SleepwalkingMK

@Brandon-Miller

@R-E-P

@The-Bean

@Anne-of-Lothlorien

@ZCPeterson

@Charisetter

@Julia-R

@Gideon-Sowdon

@Anne-Swiftblade

@TheLiteraryCrusader

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise

@Jess

@Graciekry

@ClaireC

@C-C-Lane

@Meg02

@Timothy-Young

@Emma-Flournoy

@Hannah-Olsen

@His-instrument

@Winter-Rose

@Vanna

@Christi-Eaton

@David

@Gretald

@R-J-Wordsmith

@Overcomer

@Zoe-Wingfeather

@Ingridrd

@Adry_Grace

@Faithdk

@Cahndida-Serkhaman

@Lightningmouse

@Anna-Brie

@Hannah-Krynicki

@Ivy-Rose

@JoyDH

@Alia

@Liddyanne

@MarkMcGuire

@DBHGodReigns

@H-M-Wilson

@Natalee-Jensen

@The-Happy-Bookaholic

@Tatiana

@Hannah-C

@Jenali

@WaterAndPen

@WordFitlySpoken

@Mark-Kamibaya

@Jadamae

@Rolena-Hatfield

@Watersnail

@Sarah-H

@ReaganRamm

@Aratrea

@Michael-Stanton

@that_writer_girl_99

@cloudy

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah A. Krynicki
                          @hannah-krynicki
                            • Total Posts: 81

@daeus This is a fantastic idea, and thank you for spearheading it! Now I have two questions. 1: Can I announce this on my blog? My readership is predominantly bookworms and writers, so you can probably get a lot of survey-ees there, but I wanted to check before I announce this to the rest of cyberspace. 2: If so, are there any disclaimers or other infos that I should share before I let my readers take it?

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy

@Daeus Wow. Okay! My friends, watch out.

Daeus
                              @daeus

@hannah-krynicki Absolutely you can announce it on your blog! The only official disclaimer I would have is that respondents typically read at least a handful of novels every year, but I would also prefer respondents be at least in their mid-teens.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Jane Maree
                                @jane-maree
                                  • Total Posts: 909

@Daeus I’ll definitely be doing this sometime and poking it at a handfull of friends too!

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >