Reader Behavior Survey

Home Page β€Ί Forums β€Ί Fiction Writing β€Ί Publishing & Platform β€Ί Reader Behavior Survey

• This topic has 72 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Daeus.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Hi everyone,

Last night I threw together a project that I’ve been planning on doing for a while. I’m calling it the reader behavior survey.

The goal is to collect data on how readers behave in certain areas such as word of mouth marketing, how they interact with libraries, how they interact with emails, and other areas that will be helpful for authors in knowing how to market their materials and turn their readers into marketing tools for them.

So here’s where I need your help. First of all, wording is very important when it comes to surveys on how people act psychologically. I could really use your input on that. Secondly, for some questions, I might not have enough options for survey takers to choose from. If you can help me think of any more options, that would be great. Finally, I’d like to know if there’s anything I’m missing.

Here’s the link to go view the questions.
      https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaqpeV6xVjRIW4Xko9TmgG7c3fKOuVkNX__ba-UBd5qtUjTw/viewform

@kate-flournoy
      @emma-florunoy @michael-stanton @mark-kamibaya @dragon-snapper @winter-rose @hope @graciegirl @christi-eaton @jess Feel free to tag anyone else.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus first of all this is an awesome idea. Second of all I answered the questions. Third of all I have not a clue in the world how you possibly missed anything at all possible related to, about, or pertaining to books in general. I’ll let you know if I think of anything though. πŸ˜‰

Jess
        @jess
          • Total Posts: 575

@Daeus,

Well, this isn’t really relevant to the questions, but the first page of the survey has a lot of questions. I know that if someone asks me to take a survey, and there are a lot of questions on the first page, I’ll be hesitant to actually fill the whole thing out. But you other pages have only a few questions on them, so I would just flip the order. I’d likely start with a short page, and if I see a longer page, I’ll be more likely to fill it out if I’ve already begun. (Does that make any sense? Or am I rambling?)

About the actual questions, β€œWhich of these types of emails would you consider worth reading, at least on the average day?” I also like to see writing prompts (such as picture prompts or word prompts)

β€œYou have just read a solid five star book. The author recommends that if you enjoyed his book, you donate a copy to your local library. Whether you have read an ebook, paperback, or audio book, how likely are you to /buy/ an additional copy for your local library. Let’s say the cost is $12 plus shipping.” I would add an empty blank so people can say why, if they wish. (Because some of us are very poor hs/college students, even if we really want to send a copy to our library.)

β€œSupposing all you have to do is enter your email address or do something really small like submit a short review of the book you just read, which of these free offers do you think would attract you enough that you would be 75% or more likely to act upon it?” For me as a writer, I like to see hidden articles that are somewhat based on the book. Or a nonfiction, added book. I like those. (Like how to structure your novel stuff)

β€œWhat will often bring a book to your mind when you share it? (Select any that apply) (Question KP people: Do you think this question is actually one that would be worth having data on? I’m wondering if there’s any potential way to act off this data or if it’s just interesting data that’s useless.” I don’t honestly think of any of the options when I share a book. Often I’m in a conversation about books and I just think of one… I don’t think this would be the most helpful question either in the survey.

I really think the survey is an awesome idea! You were very thorough, and I can’t think of anything else at all! πŸ™‚

Gracie
          @graciegirl
            • Total Posts: 889

@daeus Zikers! This a great idea. With regards to the two questions you asked for advice on, I think adding a β€˜none of these’ or β€˜other’ or even a place where they can write there own might be a good idea. After all, it’s very difficult to come up with a few options to give everyone, and while I think you got the main ones, having an option for the exceptions wouldn’t be bad.
            And may I just say I am probably an author’s marketing nightmare? XD I hardly EVER buy books, and it has to be earth shattering for me to share. 😝 I’m not sure the one question near the beginning has any practical applications, but I’m super curious what most people say on a personal note. Then again, I’ve never been involved in marketing of any kind, so there may be a way to use the data from that q to your advantage that I’m not thinking of.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Daeus
            @daeus

@jess Question. What do you mean by: β€œFor me as a writer, I like to see hidden articles that are somewhat based on the book. Or a nonfiction, added book. I like those. (Like how to structure your novel stuff)”?

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Jess
              @jess
                • Total Posts: 575

sorry, I meant, say the book is fantasy. Something that would sweeten the deal for me would be an article about how she approached worldbuilding that only people who got the book could access. Or, a short nonfiction book related to reading/writing in some way. @Daeus

Daeus
                @daeus

Btw everyone, if you could refrain from actually filling out the form for the moment. I don’t want to cross pollinate answers in case I make any significant changes to the survey.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Daeus
                  @daeus

Ok, I made a few changes.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus oooopssss… *hides face* I’m sorry. I thought you wanted us to actually take the survey. Would it even let you flip pages if you didn’t?

Daeus
                      @daeus

@kate-flournoy Not a big deal. Four responses aren’t going to make a difference. It’s when I get ten or twenty responses that the statistics start to get thrown off.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Daeus
                        @daeus

Besides, I’ve set it so you can now edit the response you made if you want. Certainly not necessary, but an option.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Gracie
                          @graciegirl

@Daeus Zikers, sorry! I actually took the survey too. :/

Gracie
                            @graciegirl

oh, whew

Daeus
                              @daeus

I’m gonna tag some more people @r-j-wordsmith @overcomer @northerner @emma-flournoy @that_writer_girl_99 @sarah-h @audrey-caylin

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Audrey Caylin
                                @audrey-caylin
                                  • Total Posts: 323

@daeus this looks awesome! I’ll go take it right now πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >