Putting Yourself in your Characters?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Putting Yourself in your Characters?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 8156

@joy-caroline.

Oh my word. You are definitely not the only one.

Thank goodness. XD

Mostly what I do is project my own trauma onto my characters. *hides*

Mwahahahaha, don’t we all!? XD

Also I’ve noticed that all my stories have redemption as a main theme, and many of my characters struggle to realize that God has forgiven them their past sins and they are no longer that same person. Like, they think they’re horrible and deserve horrible things because of what they’ve done in the past, even though they’ve repented and been transformed in Christ.

I feel that. 😅

Russell is one example of this. I think I write about this stuff so often because I have experienced this very thing in my life, and although, for example, Russell’s past sins are different from mine, I relate so very deeply to how he struggles with self-hatred and forgiving himself and believing that God has forgiven him.

You and me both, girl, you and me both. <3 <3 <3 That’s one reason why I relate to Riker so much. 😅

It’s been really healing for me, too, writing about how he comes to realize that Christ truly has forgiven him and he’s not the same person who committed those sins. <3

I’m so glad to hear that! And it’s kinda been the same for Riker for me, heh. 😅 <3 (Him and Russell would get along so well, just being honest! XD) Riker’s been the character I’ve found the most healing in writing. Leo’s has quickly become one as well. 😉 😀

Keilah H.
      @keilah-h
        • Total Posts: 3875

@freedomwriter76 Yep….if they are the same universe, that means we can have raptors with lightsabers…….which would be cool and terrifying at the same time….

And yes. I have quite a few traumatized-but-not-necessarily-adorable characters. Just look at Crosshair for an example. Not exactly an adorable character, except maybe to Feather sometimes……. (he’s not exactly mine but still kinda counts, right?)

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1379

@freedomwriter76

I really wish Russell and Riker were from the same era so we could write a crossover fiction with them. XD We could do one with Russell and Jack tho XD

TheLoonyOne
          @theloonyone
            • Total Posts: 404

@freedomwriter76

Oh, ABSOLUTELY! 😂🤣😁

How’d you know…

Anonymous

@keilah-h.

Yep….if they are the same universe, that means we can have raptors with lightsabers…….which would be cool and terrifying at the same time….

That would be so funny. XD

Just look at Crosshair for an example. Not exactly an adorable character, except maybe to Feather sometimes……. (he’s not exactly mine but still kinda counts, right?)

Yes, he totally counts! 😉

Anonymous

@joy-caroline.

I really wish Russell and Riker were from the same era so we could write a crossover fiction with them. XD We could do one with Russell and Jack tho XD

Oof, me and you both, girl, you and me both. XDXDXD Riker’s still alive, he’s just, like, in his 50s or 60s, lol. XD

AND *GASP* GIRLLLLLL!!!! WE COULDDDDDD!!!!!!

Anonymous

@theloonyone.

Oh, ABSOLUTELY! 😂🤣😁

How’d you know…

I’ll never tell….XDXDXDXDXDXD

Anonymous

@mineralizedwritings.

Yeah it did! I guess I wasn’t sure if I was on the right track.

I’m glad! Yeah, girl, you’re doing great! Go take this world by storm with your writing! <3<3<3

🤣😂 Lol yes! I honestly love writing emotional stuff.

Doesn’t every writer!? XDXDXD

😭😭😭

Yeah…but do not worry…for he is redeemed. 😉

TRUE! XD

Yes, so, so true. XDXDXDXD

When I first started my story, my sister was asking me if my MC was a boi.. and I was like, hm i don’t think so. Well lol guess what happened when I tried to draw him for the first time?

I COULDN’T STOP ADDING CURLS TO HIS HAIR!!

Like, I just couldn’t.

I’m sure my sister was just like… yeah right he seems like one to me… 🤣

Oh, and he ended up with glasses too. I just accepted it at some point 😂

Lol, girl, that is hilarious. XDXDXDXD

Have you noticed just how much your character can change over time!?

Girl, I kid you not, Riker is my favorite character now, and he was originally the villain of the book! XD

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h
                      • Total Posts: 3875

@freedomwriter76 Yeah, raptors with lightsabers would be funny, come to think of it….

Yes, he totally counts! 😉

Yay! I’m glad….I don’t know why, really…..but I am…

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

MineralizedWritings
                      @mineralizedwritings
                        • Total Posts: 2803

@freedomwriter76

I’m glad! Yeah, girl, you’re doing great! Go take this world by storm with your writing! <3<3<3

Thanks! 💕

Doesn’t every writer!? XDXDXD

Lol yes.

Yeah…but do not worry…for he is redeemed. 😉

Aww yay! That’s the best.

Lol, girl, that is hilarious. XDXDXDXD Have you noticed just how much your character can change over time!? Girl, I kid you not, Riker is my favorite character now, and he was originally the villain of the book! XD

Lol yeah, I fully accept it now. Ikr! Lol he was the villain 😂🤣 and now he’s your favorite. Yes, things do change. I mean my Mc was originally named Desmen (Tauren atm) and had horrible parents. His brother (no longer has a brother) was sent above the surface (they live underground) to fight for there side, but he was kept at home cuz they thought he was to weak (This is not a part of my story at all anymore) Oh yeah, and the part I completely edited out of Tauren getting sick and having to be quarantined, and losing his vision in one eye… (ok can you tell he’s a favorite charrie of mine? Everything bad has happened to him!) None of that happens in my book anymore 😂. Lol, It just went in a different direction.

へびは かっこいい です!

Light
                        @lightoverdarkness6
                          • Total Posts: 1626

@freedomwriter76

Girl, you are totally not alone!! I do that with like all my characters😂. Except Matthew. Matthew is a fictional version of one of my best friends (who is a boy…not my boy-friend, just friend that is a boy😂😜.) My character Lyla is a lot like me. She loves animals and her brothers. But she is fiery and will not hesitate to defend her shy brother. And their trials are similar to my trials. I mean, my brother doesn’t get kidnapped and I don’t find a white fawn, but you get the idea 🤦🏻‍♀️😅. But yeah!

#HugRikerSquad

Anonymous

@lightoverdarkness6.

Girl, you are totally not alone!! I do that with like all my characters😂.

I’ve been so relieved to find out I’m not alone…XD

Except Matthew. Matthew is a fictional version of one of my best friends (who is a boy…not my boy-friend, just friend that is a boy😂😜.)

Well, yeah…we all have boys in our lives like that… 😉

My character Lyla is a lot like me. She loves animals and her brothers. But she is fiery and will not hesitate to defend her shy brother. And their trials are similar to my trials. I mean, my brother doesn’t get kidnapped and I don’t find a white fawn, but you get the idea 🤦🏻‍♀️😅. But yeah!

That is really cool! 😀 And I get what you mean, don’t worry! 😉

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 147

@freedomwriter76

My girl, you are NOT the only one!! As you’ve probably found out lol.

Hope is like my would character! Like legit, her fear *ducks behind a couch*, her insecurities, and her knack for getting in the most ridiculous of circumstances, yeah…all that roots from me. Of course, fiction is there too…like, I’m not a foster child (but I do have experience with foster children), and I am not generally afraid of the dark. Now, the fear of cluttered things, yes…that’s all me.
                              Hope also…well, she looks a lot like me. Short black hair, glasses. Yeah, I put a lot of me in her.
                              You are not alone in that, for sure!

Light
                              @lightoverdarkness6
                                • Total Posts: 1626

@freedomwriter76

Yes XD.

Yep! He’s very sweet.

Thank you!! Okay good. I always feel like I say things in the stupidest ways😂🤦🏻‍♀️.

@wilder-w @freedomwriter76

Awww Hope!! I’ve been cheering on the Hope and Rueben romance 😊. They’re just so cute together!!

@wilder-w

By the way, I really like your profile picture!!😀.

#HugRikerSquad

Whaley
                                @whalekeeper
                                  • Total Posts: 2637

Ah, yes. The way us writer stuff our insecurities into an unfortunate child, who just happens to be imaginary, and throw them off a cliff…

*ahem*

I guess for me, I create the character, and only afterwards do I realize how their soul and personality directly correlate with mine. Usually they are a super exaggerated form of one of my personality traits, fears, or desires – like one is a fierce protector of his family, another can’t be social to save her life (but instead communicates her deepest secrets with chickens), another is so awed by the little things that he feels incapable of looking at the big picture, and yet another is embodiment of cheeky comments, inner fire and teenage angst.

XD All the things. Even when they are the exact opposite of you, you’ll sooner or later come face to face with some shadowy copy of yourself. Hopefully a shadowy copy of The Writer, too…

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >