Our Book Premises Nerd Space

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Our Book Premises Nerd Space

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Trahia the Minstrel
    @trahia-the-minstrel
      • Total Posts: 193

@koshka

Thanks!

I love your titles! And your books sound cool — I love the fact you have this sibling aspect in 1 and 3😊. Nothing better than some good sibling banter and play offs. A question — are your books about actual animals, or hybrid human-animal type beings, or about humans who are part of a group that call themselves animals?

My story is a 5 book series, of which I have book 1 in a decent beta-ready copy, and book 2 completely-ish (I’m gonna have to utterly rewrite it😂) written in 1st draft stage. Books 3 – 5 only exist in my head currently, but I do know how the series ends.

@elishavet-pidyon

Eirtan doesn’t sound any worse than my books, in which people get executed for ‘treachery’ to the usurper’s crown, entire towns get burnt with the people killed without mercy (no horrible description, but it’s sad) by the Marauders of East-West Alliance, and people get wounded in battle.😉 Oh, yeah, there’s also some mild adult references — the sort that kids wouldn’t understand, but teenagers and adults would probably get what was implied. Nothing bad, just an untrue rumour about someone, and the fact that two of my characters don’t want to get married for politics and have kids(they’re both royalty), cause they both just want to stay friends. I never say anything explicit, or have any bad scenes. Oh, and I invented my own swear word after my brother told me ‘Darn’ isn’t acceptable in medieval fantasy. So:

Zeth. Zeth that zething zethed thing.

I have literally no idea what this means. I just decided it means ‘something bad’ in my country’s original language 😂.

@godlyfantasy12

That fox is soooo cute!😃😃☺️🥰

And Nyx is such a a cute name!

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
      That’s my wish to create.

Koshka
      @koshka
        • Total Posts: 1424

@godlyfantasy12

Nyx sounds woundermous! Definitely work him in. He’s so cute! If you have any scenes you could share, I’d be thrilled.

My sister and I created a fox type creature for one of her books. It’s called a Knettel and is about the size of a SMALL house cat, a bit more sleek than most foxes, with more pointed ears and a white ‘V’ from its ears to a point in between it’s eyes. The jaw can dislocate like a snake’s, has fangs, and can lock shut. It has sixth digit on the back of the paw, rather like bird talons but a paw. It’s a very protective creature, and if captured young enough can be tamed to one person.

I’ll stop now before I can’t. Oh how I love wild fuzzy things…

@trahia-the-minstrel

Thank you! My titles are something I probably spend way too much time with.

I have three siblings, and love well written families. Hopefully my books meassure up. HGHS starts with a huge argument.

My books are set in a land of animal animals (sort of like Mistmantle). Each culture is based off of several in our world. I do have a book set in the civil war (Possibly titled Green Texas, Harps and a Menorah, or The Ninety-Five) about an Irish family in Texas.

I totally understand about books just in my head. My biggest problem is the first draft.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Koshka.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
        @elishavet-pidyon
          • Total Posts: 1013

@trahia-the-minstrel

Yeah, nothing I wouldn’t mind reading myself, not to mention a ten year old at our church. Especially when I’m trying to make a very Christain point about the passing of mantles. No need the have my good be evil spoken of!

Ugh, yeah, it is so irritating when a word is placed in the wrong era. I mean, some words don’t matter, but rubbernecking in the eleventh century? We had a good laugh over that one. That’s an Interesting idea; creative ejaculations are such fun. My personal favorite is probably Trumpkin’s use of alliteration.

@godlyfantasy12
          (@koshka thanks for asking)

Nyx is sounds like such a fun character! ANIMALS ARE SPLENDID! Fennec foxes are adorable.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

GodlyFantasy12
          @godlyfantasy12
            • Total Posts: 6645

@koshka oh wow!! That kinda reminds me of the fennec fox so that’s really cool!! Love that so much!!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
            #ProtectMarcel
            #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12

@koshka @trahia-the-minstrel @elishavet-pidyon

I have a scene from my first draft that is completely from Nyx’s point of view. It’s the only scene from his POV, and I’m not sure if I will keep it but I do kinda like it (again it’s only the first draft so yea) but if y’all are interested here it is!)

How had he not seen It earlier?

Nyx made a mad dash through the Main Tent’s halls, his heart in his throat. His tail swished behind him, making the carpet’s dust fly. His eyes blurred as he ran, his mind still woozy from before.

He squeaked loudly and growled. To those who saw him it would look as those the animal had gone insane, but in truth he was just scolding himself.

How could he not have sensed it before? Though, in truth the thought had crossed his mind. But that was all it had been, a thought.

His brain screamed for him to look back and make sure he wasn’t being followed, but he was moving too quickly and couldn’t risk running into something-or someone. Still, the thought of Ridley following struck a cord inside him. It made him both fearful and upset.

If the boy did catch up to him, there was no telling what the animal might do. Scratch and bite and shriek until he had no energy left, that was what he’d do!

After all, that…..that monster had taken his girl. That monster had hurt his girl! And Nyx wasn’t about to stand idly by and let her suffer.

No, she’d given him a mission and he was going to fulfill it. He had to find Arabella and November, his girl’s new friends. He had to let them know that it was Ridley! Ridley had done It all! He had committed the grotesque sin that gave his girl so much pain. He had allowed everyone to believe Jocelyn had done it, and never once came to her rescue.

Nyx hissed, his fear standing on edge. He zipped to the left and then the right, stopping only for seconds to sniff the air, searching for the familiar smell of flowers that followed the brown-haired girl called Ara.

He dashed from room to room, but didn’t see or smell either of the two. Where could they be?

As if in answer to his question, a smell hit his nose. The smell of roses and honey. He immediately turned and followed his nose to Jocelyn’s room.

Of course! He should’ve looked here first!

He squeaked as he eyes caught sight of November’s familiar brown boots. He looked up and saw the two teens towering over him, their faces wide.

“Nyx!” The girl cried, but Nyx didn’t have time for hellos. He shrieked and ran to the girl, shimmying up her leg. Ara held her arms out, taking Nyx in them. “Nyx, what’s wrong?”

Nyx squeaked and squirmed, trying to tell them, but it was no use. The two couldn’t understand him!

“Where’s Lyn?” November asked. Nyx looked at the boy, trying to tell him with his eyes, but it failed to work. He trilled, distraught. How was he supposed to let them know if they couldn’t understand him!

“Nyx? Where’s Lyn?” Ara asked, holding the creature to her face.

Nyx swallowed, his heart beating in his ears. He twitched, wondering if he could indeed trust them. Lyn seemed to, and Nyx didn’t have much choice at the moment.

He had to do it.

“She’s been banished!”

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Koshka
              @koshka

@godlyfantasy12

That’s a first draft? Wow. I love it! Did Nyx just speak?

Elishavet Pidyon
                @elishavet-pidyon

Um, that’s amazing. Once again, did Nyx SPEAK?!

@godlyfantasy12

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12

@elishavet-pidyon @koshka

thx!! And…agh hehe yea! 😉 tho this is the first time the reader is formally introduced to Nyx’s ability to speak, and it’s more of a mental telepathy thing then audible voice, (tho it does sound audible if that makes any sense) he only does it to those he trusts and that’s why This is the first time Ara and November ever hear him,

BUT it’s why all throughout the book Jocelyn seems to have one sided conversations with him and he understands (not in a weird way because we talk to our animals, so to the readers and everyone it looks like that, but then later ur like, OH it was actually the fact that he rlly was responding BACK to her!)

so ya….

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

Koshka
                    @koshka

@godlyfantasy12

That makes sense. Yes, I think I know what you mean. Like he can talk without speaking.

Thank you for the excerpt!

Elishavet Pidyon
                      @elishavet-pidyon

Hey, @godlyfantasy12, would you mind if I drew Nyx? And if so, does he have any particular markings etc.?

GodlyFantasy12
                        @godlyfantasy12

@elishavet-pidyon I do not mind at all! As for markings not really! He looks like ur average fennec fox! He’s about the size of what Koshka imagines her creature, an agile housecat but a tad bigger then a kitten

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                          #ProtectMarcel
                          #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                          @godlyfantasy12

@elishavet-pidyon here’s another reference pic! As u can see, fennec foxes have these adorable little reddish fur lines on their faces in the shape of a triangle and the most ADORABLE ears

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                            #ProtectMarcel
                            #ProtectSeb

E. K. Seaver
                            @e-k-seaver
                              • Total Posts: 344

The House That Didn’t End

Nothing, not even the creepy house in the woods, can dissuade Ly O’Dare from finishing this scavenger hunt. Where else can a broke seventeen-year-old get enough money to finance her art endeavors and start a business?

Even being snowed in with a sarcastic stranger isn’t too bad, and as long as he is helping her find the hidden staircase, she’ll tolerate his quips.

Jackson Evergreen’s quest was something he had been preparing for his entire life. And now he’s finally at the end of it, so close to saving the world when he gets snowed in with a bubbly blonde named Ly. The house is more dangerous than either of them prepared for, though, and Jackson’s suddenly thrust into a situation he didn’t intend to get in and is falling for a girl he only just met.

One thing they know for sure, however, in this house, nothing is what it seems.

The Reflections (coming spring 2022)

Everyone in the Alliance knows about the Reflections. It’s the opportunity to get into the University, the only government-recognized form of education, and those accepted are guaranteed success and comfort for the rest of their lives. Thus, when Em Gades receives the silver invitation, her future is secured. The worst that could happen is she gets sent home, right?

Until she arrives, and the rumors about the Reflections prove true. The only way to live is to get into the University and to do that you must be one of the four remaining Chosens at the end of the competition. Although she was warned beforehand to trust no one, Em quickly forms attachments to her fellow teammates with the hope that as many of them can survive as possible. However, as Chosens are rapidly executed for failing competitions, Em struggles to understand that, if God is real, why he would let something so terrible happen to a group of mostly innocent teenagers. With likely no more than a few days left to live, she and the other Chosens must navigate life or death situations and find answers to the question:

Are their lives worth the deaths of others?

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
                              ekseaver.wordpress.com

Anatra
                              @anatra23
                                • Total Posts: 211

@trahia-the-minstrel

Your book sounds very exiting! I love that idea.

@elishavet-pidyon

Oh, I love animal books. When I was in elementary school and half way through middle school, those were the only books I’d read XD (btw I’m defiantly not saying books like that are only for kids. I still really enjoy them:)
                                Have you ever read Redwall?

@koshka

Those sound like great books. And oh so many of my plots remain unfinished…

@godlyfantasy12

Nyx is BEAUTIFUL! I’ve never seen a fennec before! He’s adorable. Also those eyes… and the whiskers…

Anyway Here’s the premise of my first book.

Have you ever wondered what was beyond the stars? Have you ever taken a glance at night up at the heavens, and have you pictured another world out there, somewhere? What if there were a world out there, another kingdom, another government, another economy altogether. But this world came to a threat when two children break the boundary lines, go where they’re forbidden, and discover a challenge that they must solve together. Life in their world as they knew it has been changed forever.

Yea, it’s a little bumpy at the moment. I wrote most of it when I was eleven XD I’ve been working on this series for a while.
                                Here’s the second book’s premise

After [big event that spoils absolutely everything in the first book] things around the city of Cabi’lia have been chaotic. With the system having reverted to the council, Julia’s sentence remained unclear. Some of the ones that loved Violet the most were taken hard, and others like Jeremy have struggled still to achieve the duties they’d taken on since the[same event]. But now, more and more stray Geo Bones have been spotted on the outskirts of the city. Some believe that the previous threat of [crucial spoiler name] is back, and this time, Violet isn’t around to take the lead.
                                A new threat a lost name and a new family now threaten the calm after the storm.

Ugh, that was kind of a lot.
                                Also,

Consistent critics of the series (my sister) responded to the series’ major plot twist with:

“Wut.”

and

“AAAAHHHHHHH”

Yes, she’s always this articulate XD

GodlyFantasy12
                                @godlyfantasy12

@anatra23 Thx, tho I can’t take credit for the pic lol! Found it online! That’s just what fennec foxes look like! Aren’t they gorgeous and adorable? I love them!! (I plan to own one! In the state I live it’s not illegal, and there is a breeder 3 and a half hours away from me, tho they are expensive being an exotic pet and all)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                  #ProtectMarcel
                                  #ProtectSeb

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >