No Need To Open This Topic

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE No Need To Open This Topic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Abigail.M.
    @abigail-m
      • Total Posts: 1242

1. I assume if you opened this topic, you were curious about the title. (That’s alright, I guess I would be too).

2. I am writing a short story, (that’s stretching beyond eight thousand words right now, so by the time I come to the conclusion, it’ll be more of a novella). The story is a spin-off of my main novel. Same characters, world, and everything, but none of the content actually occurs in the novel itself.

3. The explanation for the title is that I am trying to be much more productive with my writing by writing this story and using Dickens’s method of serial writing. In the link below is Part 1 of The Lost Manuscript, subtitled as a Snow Warrior spin-off and in my mind feels very… dull. But nonetheless, it has been accomplishing its goal in boosting my creativity and allows me the freedom to work with it since I’m not expecting much to come of it. So how this will work is that I will add a new installment at the beginning of every month. The amount in each part will vary, (this month averaged three thousand words). I do feel nervous, to say the least about posting this because I know that it is pretty boring and awful, and I feel like I’m not doing the characters justice here, but hopefully in any case I will be able to keep up my word counts due to the challenge:)

4. No one actually has to read it. One of the biggest reasons I’m going to post this story like this is for accountability in my own writing, so I don’t want anyone to feel obligated to put themselves through this torture XD

5. If anyone should read it and would like to offer feedback and is wondering what kind of feedback I could use at this time…
      My main questions are on: how likable are the characters? If you had to eliminate all but one character, what one would you keep and why? Can you see the characters in your mind? What do you feel are the most likable/dislikable things about the characters? Can you see the setting? What was your first impression of each character?

…As you can see those are questions aimed at character, mostly. A big part of this story/experiament is to flesh the characters and setting that will inhabit the novel in the near future, so I appreciate feedback on them immensely.

So last notes are, yes, the plot isn’t the most exciting, it may be cliche, and I think I info dumped once or twice… but enough of my tragedy XD Here is the link to the first installment and thank you for making it this far in my ramble here:)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IpOLlcx3LtZvxkHZh6FWlFy1kTYNnDZKkfJXHkx2e7c/edit?usp=sharing

Abigail.M.
      @abigail-m
        E. K. Seaver
        @e-k-seaver
          • Total Posts: 344

@abigail-m
          First off, Eyy, I didn’t know we were on the same time zone. I’ll read it tomorrow.

Second. Go to sleep.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
          ekseaver.wordpress.com

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m

@e-k-seaver

That’s so cool, I had no idea either! 😀

XD I think I should!

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting
              • Total Posts: 1700

@abigail-m Ay, thanks for sharing! I’m afraid my hands are a bit tied right now, but I’d be glad to give it a gander when I have the time!

Lately, it's been on my brain
              Would you mind letting me know
              If hours don't turn into days

Natalie C.
              @nanisnook
                • Total Posts: 154

@abigail-m
                Yay, I’d love to read it!! I’ll try to get to it sometime today or tomorrow.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

ella
                @nova21
                  • Total Posts: 604

@abigail-m

I’ll check it out!

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                  -gladiator, 2000

Elfwing
                  @elfwing
                    • Total Posts: 486

@abigail-m

Sure! I’d be glad to read it!

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 1379

@abigail-m

I’ll read it as soon as I can! Gotta finish setting up some website stuff first, but I’ll have it read by the end of the week.

Lydia S.
                      @lydia-s
                        • Total Posts: 399

@abigail-m

Oh, this looks lovely! Thank you for the invite. Hopefully, I’ll be able to read it sometime soon! <33

Gracie J.
                        @gracie-j
                          • Total Posts: 1789

@abigail-m Ooh…I can’t wait to read it! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Alexa Autorski
                          @writerlexi1216
                            • Total Posts: 1011

@abigail-m

*gasps* YAY, you posted it!!!!!!!! Girl, I’m totally going to read this whenever I have the time, thank you so much for sharing it!!!!! Eeeek, I can’t wait!!! (Also sorry if I can’t get to it right away–today is going to be quite busy for me but I’ll try to read it once I have some free time!:)

Gracie J.
                            @gracie-j
                              • Total Posts: 1789

@abigail-m I personally LOVED this!!! I didn’t think it was boring at all – and I do think it adds some depth to the characters! They were all amazing, and I could definitely see them!!! I feel like I know them so well now, so just getting this glimpse of them was like hanging out with old friends, you know? Great job!!!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Gracie J..

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Precious Y
                              @precious-y
                                • Total Posts: 27

@abigail-m

1.That sounds great. It’s so cool that you’re taking initiative with your writing and trying to get more work out.

2.  I’m currently still outlining and discovery writing for my novel idea; I haven’t officially began my first draft yet. I think your short story project will give you more of an opportunity to develop and learn more about your characters

3. Yeah I read about Dickens serial format too and I think he was one of the first people to write out their major works in this format. I definitely think that it helps with productivity because look at all the works he published (the pressure of starvation and eviction during that time if your works don’t sell probably also helped). I’m still in the research stage for my novel but I would love to do this too. Maybe I can start now but maybe with fun facts from my research during the day? What do you think?

4.I don’t have time to give feedback now because I’m super busy :(, but hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to critique in the future. I read it though and it seems pretty interesting. I like the fact that the mentor character is a girl and I enjoyed your descriptions of the snowy forest and village.

Overall I think this is a great method for accountability. It shows that you’re really serious about you’re writing.

Wishing you unlimited writing streaks and pretty notebooks,

Precious

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1379

@abigail-m

I just read your story and absolutely loved it, girl! Filip, Mejia, and Anton are all such interesting characters. Anton is my favorite at the moment! XD

I made a few suggestions, mostly just on paragraph formation. Other than that, this story is amazing and I would love to read more!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >