Need Advice with my Character's Responses

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Need Advice with my Character's Responses

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ariel Ashira
    @ariel-ashira
      • Total Posts: 739

@sam-kowal Any advise?  I need a guy’s input once in a while! 🙂

"In a mask, was he?"

Sam Kowal
      @sam-kowal
        • Total Posts: 635

@ariel-ashira

One thing to keep in mind with this is his response, too, although you’ve probably already thought that out. Obviously he’s not going to be shocked but he will probably be very emotional/happy. The other character reactions depend a lot on what the other characters are like.

I would expect his mother to be very emotional and to be completely shocked. She would be overjoyed to see him, but would have troubling handling it all and probably burst into tears and hug him.

I’d expect his father to be less dramatic on the outside, but he certainly shouldn’t be stoic either and would probably be feeling the same sort of thing on the inside. His movements might slow down rather than speed up and he’d probably speak to his son in a quieter, overjoyed manner.

The younger brother probably wouldn’t know exactly what to think, but he would be delighted. Probably jumping up and down, waving his arms around, racing around a telling people. Again, that depends a lot on his character. He might be the type of brother who would get really quiet and just go hug the older boy and not want to let him go.

As for the servant woman, I’d expect her response to be similar to the mother’s, but perhaps slightly less focused on the boy and more on the whole scene. For example, she’d probably be the one to scream and go tell everyone else, whereas the boy’s mother might just cry and hug him.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
        Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Ariel Ashira
        @ariel-ashira

@sam-kowal Thank you SO much!!!  Very helpful.  Do you think my MC would feel shy or intimadated going back to see his family, though he is overjoyed as well?

The personality my MC has is where he doesn’t really like to show his feelings, until he just breaks down.

"In a mask, was he?"

Sam Kowal
          @sam-kowal
            • Total Posts: 635

@ariel-ashira You know, I think he probably would. Maybe not intimidated but just slightly shy, although I think his main feelings would of course be joy. And probably, meeting his family again would be a moment where he ‘breaks down’ but in a good way and shows all his feelings, although it doesn’t necessarily have to be

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
            Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Ariel Ashira
            @ariel-ashira

@sam-kowal Oh, good!  Nice to know someone besides me thinks its fine.  Its also helpful knowing a guy agrees, cause most of the help I get is from girls. 🙂

"In a mask, was he?"

Naomi H
              @jbb
                • Total Posts: 21

I would say that they would be wanting answers and knowing what happened. They might even feel a little anger over the whole time they spent grieving.

Ariel Ashira
                @ariel-ashira

@jbb I did not think of that.  Good thought!!  But I think under the circumstances of my story, they would be amazed at what happened, but not angry.  I will keep this in mind for other stories I write though.

By the way, I don’t think I have met you before.  *shakes your hand and gives you ice cream* Good to meet you!

"In a mask, was he?"

Naomi H
                  @jbb
                    • Total Posts: 21

@ariel-ashira Thanks for the ice cream, though it’s not my favorite. I don’t like a lot of sweet foods. (For example, when I was three I wanted asparagus instead of candy) Anyway, nice to meet you too!

Ariel Ashira
                    @ariel-ashira

@jbb Ahh. *hands you asparagus* *takes ice cream back and eats it myself*

Does your family eat pretty healthy?

"In a mask, was he?"

itisastarrynight
                      @itisastarrynight
                        • Total Posts: 134

@ariel-ashira
                        I think how they react would be a product of who the characters actually are. I haven’t read many of the other comments so this may have already been noted, but I would try to develop the characters more. Thankfully, KP has planty of articles on that. 🙂

I can't believe it's not butter!

Ariel Ashira
                        @ariel-ashira

@itsastarrynight Thank you!  @daeus Do you have a little time to give me some advise on this?

"In a mask, was he?"

Daeus
                          @daeus
                            • Total Posts: 4238

@ariel-ashira Well, this isn’t really something I think about a whole lot because I tend to have a good grip on my characters so I just always do what feels right for them and it pretty much turns out. I guess though personally, if I had a brother I thought was dead show up alive I would probably rush him and hug him.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ariel Ashira
                            @ariel-ashira

@daeus Okay.  Thank you!  Its still helpful!

"In a mask, was he?"

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >